Official ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC THREAD

Options

Comments

• noirwar
    noirwar Members Posts: 514
    edited July 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    What does it matter to put Atheism into a category of religion? What does it change if it is or isn't?

Stone Cold Answer for all right there. No need to site a home for the outsiders let them be "outside".
  • noirwar
    noirwar Members Posts: 514
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What the hell are you talking about? Topple naysayers? The AntiChrist is Christ Like? Seriously you are taking extreme liberties with interpretations of what is being said. But I will run on your tangent and say a better comparison would be like saying that Both Chemists and Alchemists use chemicals and Both Astrologers and Astronomers study the stars , Hell even the church of Satan and The Christian Church both believe in the Devil and ? . On that Note Atheism and Theism seem to have equally devout and closed minded disciples and equally as many tangents and diverging criteria upon which they base there beliefs showing that there faith in being correct about all...

You have to understand that there is no found sect that can be culminated to a Crop. Believers or not. That is all my friend. I know that people try to simplify ? but. Fiat broke it down looooooooong before it got here. Props to you because I was wrong because you have lured people out. But I say for what? Nothing will happen in this thread following the topic you created. No trolling but real ? .
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I don't really think it is a religion, it isn't a system of faith or any type of worship. But that's me..
    okay, i'm ready to make a ruling on this. consider yourself ... ATHEIST

now enjoy whatever atheist holidays there are, like... uh... Flag Day, maybe? doesn't seem very religious, anyway
    Go Angels!
    booo
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    okay, i'm ready to make a ruling on this. consider yourself ... ATHEIST

now enjoy whatever atheist holidays there are, like... uh... Flag Day, maybe? doesn't seem very religious, anyway

booo

Yeah, Flag Day lol

Booooo? We're in 1st, no boooo lol we're gonna be champs this year *coughs* yeah *coughs* right
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    noirwar wrote: »
    You have to understand that there is no found sect that can be culminated to a Crop. Believers or not. That is all my friend. I know that people try to simplify ? but. Fiat broke it down looooooooong before it got here. Props to you because I was wrong because you have lured people out. But I say for what? Nothing will happen in this thread following the topic you created. No trolling but real ? .
    Then you have completely missed the point of the thread as Fiat Broke nothing down but how he felt about the subject. Theism is a component of many religions and so is atheism. That said atheism is as much religion as theism is there is no way to seperate it and if it is not religion as some who are offended by that label inisist then this is the wrong forum section and site to discuss it...
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ...Theism is a component of many religions and so is atheism. That said atheism is as much religion as theism is there is no way to seperate it and if it is not religion as some who are offended by that label inisist then this is the wrong forum section and site to discuss it...
    This is where you make the mistake of calling something a "religion", merely because it can be used as a component in a religion.

That's like calling a slice of cheese a "sandwich", merely because a slice of cheese can be used as a component in a sandwich.

In the same way that theism is not a religion, neither is atheism.
    Religion
    b (1) : the service and worship of ? or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance 2
    : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
    Religious
    : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>

: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>
    fiat_money wrote: »
    ...Religious positions are positions based on some form of devotion to institutionalized sets/systems of beliefs or devotion to perceived orders/instructions from ? (s). There are no institutionalized sets/systems of beliefs or ? (s) with atheism to devote oneself to, so atheism is not a religious position...
    ...Atheism is only a belief/disbelief/lack of belief regarding the existence of ? (s). For your claim that atheism is a religious belief or a belief about religion to be true, the existence ? (s) would have to be the same as religion. This is not the case. Furthermore, religion/religious is not defined as "belief in ? (s)", so atheism doesn't qualify as a religious belief or a belief about religion using the definitions of religion/religious either. Inversely, "? " isn't defined as "a concept exclusive to religion", so it's possible for a belief/disbelief/lack of belief regarding the existence of ? (s) not have nothing to do with religion...

So, since atheism doesn't fit the definition of "religion" and it is not exclusive to religion, atheism is not a religion.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This is where you make the mistake of calling something a "religion", merely because it can be used as a component in a religion.

That's like calling a slice of cheese a "sandwich", merely because a slice of cheese can be used as a component in a sandwich.

In the same way that theism is not a religion, neither is atheism.

So, since atheism doesn't fit the definition of "religion" and it is not exclusive to religion, atheism is not a religion.
    I wonder how much searching you had to do to find such a biased and exclusive defintion...
    Well that premise is not true either as some obviously do consider it a religion or cult, in some established religions it is a prime prinicple, my point in discussing was to spark conversation and debate on the matter which is why I thought we are all here. And agreement on status does not make or negat3e something from being what it is so the lack of uniformity on even what atheism is or stands for leave tons of room for interpretation. Let me ask this if you do not like a subject or the basis why bother discussing it? The classification and religious status holds even more significane when we are discussing it here in this forum because if it is not a type of religion and defintely not a race then why is it even discussed in this forum???
    the Irony as I see multiple threads on the topic and your presented and self inclusion as a Atheist that seems to lean more towards agnostics, here is the point in which you showed disdain about the subject discussion...

Again...
    There are many sports fanatics that treat the respective sport of their obsession as a religion, I do not disagree about the divisiveness of many religions nor the hypocritcal stances many of them take at times. Hell I made a point of that throughout the thread I pointed out simple traits of Uniformity that Atheists share amongst themselves and how the trains of thought, Identification and belief are parallel to most other religions in their own ways. Ultimate point being that it should be acknowledge as a religion and that those posting in its support here validate that status with every post in the religion section of this and other sites...
    Then you have completely missed the point of the thread as Fiat Broke nothing down but how he felt about the subject. Theism is a component of many religions and so is atheism. That said atheism is as much religion as theism is there is no way to seperate it and if it is not religion as some who are offended by that label inisist then this is the wrong forum section and site to discuss it...
    I got my defintition from dictionary.com
    re·li·gion
    Origin:
    1150–1200; Middle English religioun (< Old French religion ) < Latin religiōn- (stem of religiō ) conscientiousness, piety, equivalent to relig ( āre ) to tie, fasten ( re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; compare ligament) + -iōn- -ion; compare rely

–noun
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

—Idiom 9. get religion, Informal . a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

So running further on this does Atheism adhere to these more accurrate and encompassing definitions of Religion???

Alll that said again the question should be if Atheism is not a religion then why discuss it here? Even though I have shown why it should be considered a religion I still stress this point...
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I wonder how much searching you had to do to find such a biased and exclusive defintion...
    So running further on this does Atheism adhere to these more accurrate and encompassing definitions of Religion???
    I typically use Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary when citing definitions, for consistency.

But your definition is fine too. Since atheism is neither a "set of beliefs" or a "set of practices"; according to the Dictionary.com definition you posted, atheism is not a religion:
    re·li·gion
    Origin:
    1150–1200; Middle English religioun (< Old French religion ) < Latin religiōn- (stem of religiō ) conscientiousness, piety, equivalent to relig ( āre ) to tie, fasten ( re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; compare ligament) + -iōn- -ion; compare rely

–noun
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

—Idiom 9. get religion, Informal . a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

Alll that said again the question should be if Atheism is not a religion then why discuss it here? Even though I have shown why it should be considered a religion I still stress this point...

You just shot yourself in the foot since atheism has no set of beliefs or practices. Its a rejection of a belief in a deity. THATS IT.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ...Alll that said again the question should be if Atheism is not a religion then why discuss it here?...
    I don't know about other people, but I discuss atheism here for the same reason I discuss it in G&S, AKA Donkey, and the main Social Lounge forum.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going as it is. Who cares, ? let's just say it is and Fazeem can move on.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going as it is. Who cares, ? let's just say it is and Fazeem can move on.
    That doesn't seem like a very interesting/amusing way to do things.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I typically use Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary when citing definitions, for consistency.

But your definition is fine too. Since atheism is neither a "set of beliefs" or a "set of practices"; according to the Dictionary.com definition you posted, atheism is not a religion:So, since atheism doesn't fit the definition of "religion" and it is not exclusive to religion, atheism is not a religion.
    You just shot yourself in the foot since atheism has no set of beliefs or practices. Its a rejection of a belief in a deity. THATS IT.
    Lets correct another fallacy being perpetuated and define Atheism...

a·the·ism

/ˈeɪthinsp.pngθiˌɪzthinsp.pngəm/ Show Spelled[ey-thee-iz-uhthinsp.pngm] Show IPA
    –noun 1. the doctrine or belief that there is no ? .

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Origin:
    1580–90; < Greek áthe ( os ) godless + -ism

—Related forms
    an·ti·a·the·ism, adjective, noun
    pro·a·the·ism, noun

World English Dictionary
    atheism (ˈeɪθɪˌɪzəm) — n rejection of belief in ? or gods [C16: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos godless, from a- 1 + theos ? ]

Cultural Dictionary
    atheism [( ay -thee-iz-uhm)]

Denial that there is a ? . ( Compare agnosticism.)

Word Origin & History

atheism

1580s, from Fr. athéisme (16c.), from Gk. atheos "without ? " (see atheist).

Now given the defintion of shared set of Beliefs as a defining point of relgion Atheist share a Belief that there is no ? and there is no Supernatural Correct? That being the case they qualify as a set of Beliefs given there is more then 1 shared belief...
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ...Now given the defintion of shared set of Beliefs as a defining point of relgion Atheist share a Belief that there is no ? and there is no Supernatural Correct? That being the case they qualify as a set of Beliefs given there is more then 1 shared belief...
    No, the belief or position that there is nothing "supernatural" is metaphysical naturalism or just naturalism, atheism is the lack of belief or disbelief in gods/deities (which are also called "supreme beings", "the creator", etc). Because of this, atheism is not a "set of beliefs", since it is only a lack of belief or disbelief in one thing, the existence of ? (s); whether these proposed ? (s) are called "gods", "deities" "supreme beings" or "the creator".

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You're all fukin wrong, atheism means without deity, godless, it's french. And unable to be a religion.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Tequila????????
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Or earlier ancient greek atheotes: ungodliness
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Tequila????????

mmmm sounds good. might have to get some soon.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    mmmm sounds good. might have to get some soon.

Yeah it does. I have Jäger on hand as well as a big can of Four, a malt liquor which is really good. About to drink me some of that when I put the psychos to bed, they're driving me nuts.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah it does. I have Jäger on hand as well as a big can of Four, a malt liquor which is really good. About to drink me some of that when I put the psychos to bed, they're driving me nuts.

Lol @ the psychos
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah, Flag Day lol
    glad i could help
    Booooo? We're in 1st, no boooo lol we're gonna be champs this year *coughs* yeah *coughs* right
    the only baseball teams i don't boo are awesome ones like the Pirates
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lol @ the psychos

you have no idea, really lol
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    .... do you think some are worse than others?

Forgive me if this thread has been done before.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited July 2011
    Options
    We can apply rationality and logic to evaluate cultural rules and customs. Several aspect of culture are matters of taste such as architecture or cuisine however it is possible to show that customs or traditions are morally wrong.

Honor killings,
    Theocracy,
    female circumcision,
    slavery (in any form),
    superstitions

All these exist in various cultures and all range from morally reprehensible to irrational.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    For the most part.
This discussion has been closed.