The Official ATP/WTA Tennis Thread

Options

Comments

• CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Murray was up 2-1 in the second set.....then proceeded to lose 6 straight games haha. Let's see if his hip will hold up tho.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    smh, Murray needs to step it up...im tryna see my 2 favorite players (since I gave up Andy Roddick last year) play in the finals.

Murray vs Djokovic
  • CoolJoe
    edited July 2011
    Options
    smh, Murray needs to step it up...im tryna see my 2 favorite players (since I gave up Andy Roddick last year) play in the finals.

Murray vs Djokovic

Seems like Murray checked out after playing a great first set.
    This ? is over haha.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    Murray was up 2-1 in the second set.....then proceeded to lose 6 straight games haha. Let's see if his hip will hold up tho.

That was the definite turning point, he completely lost it from there on. Djokovic vs Nadal final is pretty much guaranteed now.
  • CoolJoe
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hopefully Nadal handles business on Sunday.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    Hopefully Nadal handles business on Sunday.

Rooting for Djokovic. Dude is having a good year so far, needs a 2nd Grand Slam to make it a great year.
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    DAMN, i might need to start showing Petra Kvitova some ? respect. Props to her. From never getting out of the 2nd round in any Grand Slam, to winning it. That is how u take it to the next level. PLus she is only 21.

A bit of asterix though due to the weakness of the Women's game.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    Rooting for Djokovic. Dude is having a good year so far, needs a 2nd Grand Slam to make it a great year.

He won 42 straight matches and the ao, he could shut it down the rest of the year and he would be invited to the ESPYs. Well maybe not, but an argument could be made.
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    He won 42 straight matches and the ao, he could shut it down the rest of the year and he would be invited to the ESPYs. Well maybe not, but an argument could be made.

Yea, now that i read that comment back again, i was a bit harsh. The dude is having a Great year.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Djokovic for the win
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I picked Djokovic to win, but even i didnot see him Dominating like this. WOW
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Djokovic will win the US Open.
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Do you all think that Djokovic will hold on to the #1 ranking for a long time?
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Do you all think that Djokovic will hold on to the #1 ranking for a long time?

Dude looks like he is for real with this "Best Player in the World" ? . I am a Nadal hater (bitter Federer fan), so anyone who dents the Nadal Dynasty is a friend of mine.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Man Murray to win the US Open, you heard it here first.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Man Murray to win the US Open, you heard it here first.

I gotta agree with this tbh... US Open seems to be his most likely way of winning a Grand Slam.

And wow, I didn't expect Djokovic to play so well in the final. He went up another level yesterday.
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Unless USA step up, Spain going to win their davis cup match.

Serbia up on Sweden sans Djokovic.

Potential Serbia vs Argentina, Spain vs France final 4 for davis cup.

I think Argentina could surprise. Schwank and Monaco are good doubles players, ofc Del Potro and Chela the singles players. Assuming Djokovic plays: Djokovic vs Del Potro, Troicki vs Chela.

For the latter, it could be Nadal vs Monfils, Verdasco or Feliciano Lopez vs Tsonga. Llodra is top 10 in doubles, so the spainiards will have a tough time there, they need to sweep singles.
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Unless USA step up, Spain going to win their davis cup match.

Serbia up on Sweden sans Djokovic.

Potential Serbia vs Argentina, Spain vs France final 4 for davis cup.

I think Argentina could surprise. Schwank and Monaco are good doubles players, ofc Del Potro and Chela the singles players. Assuming Djokovic plays: Djokovic vs Del Potro, Troicki vs Chela.

For the latter, it could be Nadal vs Monfils, Verdasco or Feliciano Lopez vs Tsonga. Llodra is top 10 in doubles, so the spainiards will have a tough time there, they need to sweep singles.

Bryan brothers always keep us alive in the Davis Cup, but our men are just too weak. SMH
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bryan brothers always keep us alive in the Davis Cup, but our men are just too weak. SMH

How the hell Roddick lose to Ferrer? Big serve and forehand all day on him, don't matter if he's an insane counterpuncher like prime Hewitt was. Maybe mix in some chip and charge smh.

some comments ago, you said that usa tennis is in shambles. I still agree with that, but looking back our players, there's some hope because we got players such as Ryan Harrison and Jack Sock on the come up, the latter whose killing it right now in the juniors. Harrison is not bad in doubles, him and his partner taking melzer-petzchner to 3 tough sets at wimbledon
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    some comments ago, you said that usa tennis is in shambles. I still agree with that, but looking back our players, there's some hope because we got players such as Ryan Harrison and Jack Sock on the come up, the latter whose killing it right now in the juniors. Harrison is not bad in doubles, him and his partner taking melzer-petzchner to 3 tough sets at wimbledon

I will believe it when i see it. Remember Donald Young Jr. was supposed to be the next big thing and has all but fizzled out.

Jack Sock looks legit though.
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I will believe it when i see it. Remember Donald Young Jr. was supposed to be the next big thing and has all but fizzled out.

Jack Sock looks legit though.

Don young jr, not that I'm defending him, had ? management who did not have his best interests. They hyped him up too soon, the kid believed it and instead of working his way up like tomic and harrison, jumped straight to the pros smh.
  • Young_Chitlin
    edited July 2011
    Options
    For those who play competitive tennis, what racquet/shoes do you use?

Me: Babolat Pure Drive (eventually will switch to pure drive roddick gt) and wear babolat propulsion 3 shoes. I'm a power player that relies heavily on my serve and forehand
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    For those who play competitive tennis, what racquet/shoes do you use?

Me: Babolat Pure Drive (eventually will switch to pure drive roddick gt) and wear babolat propulsion 3 shoes. I'm a power player that relies heavily on my serve and forehand

I have not played in 6 years, ever since my bro joined the Army.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Don young jr, not that I'm defending him, had ? management who did not have his best interests. They hyped him up too soon, the kid believed it and instead of working his way up like tomic and harrison, jumped straight to the pros smh.

I used to hit with Donald oung when they lived in Chicago he was so advanced at such a young age my ? ....
  • toheeb27
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I used to hit with Donald oung when they lived in Chicago he was so advanced at such a young age my ? ....

So where do u think things went wrong? Do u think it was "? management who did not have his best interests"?