The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't hear people talking about this fight like I did the Pacquaio fight. Only when I watch sportscenter. I've heard like 3 discussions on the fight since they announced it.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    I really don't hear people talking about this fight like I did the Pacquaio fight. Only when I watch sportscenter. I've heard like 3 discussions on the fight since they announced it.

I've stated in before that I was out there for the Mayweather-Pacquiao weeknd

That atmosphere was insane

Never seen anything like it b4

Vegas had ? on lock, couldn't watch the fight in your room

Had to be at a bar or some designated area

Club owners were charging $1000 a person to get in and view the fight (some just standing room)

Plus, the beyond the hype, fans including myself didn't even think it was going to happen

? was like 6 years in the making, so when it happened ppl went nuts

This is just a money grab fight with no legit competitiveness
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

wai til the week of
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man I went to a sports bar in NY to watch Ward - Kovalev II and that's all everyone was talking about haha
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options

wai til the week of

Yeah that's my point. I heard about manny and Floyd everyday after that fight was made. The week leading up to the fight ? was talking and selling bootleg t-shirts. I just can't see it
    Mastery wrote: »

Man I went to a sports bar in NY to watch Ward - Kovalev II and that's all everyone was talking about haha
    At that's where ? at bars are going to watch it, at a bar. Equals 1 sale or nah?
  • Mastery
    Options

wai til the week of

Yeah that's my point. I heard about manny and Floyd everyday after that fight was made. The week leading up to the fight ? was talking and selling bootleg t-shirts. I just can't see it

At that's where ? at bars are going to watch it, at a bar. Equals 1 sale or nah?

That's like saying everyone who watched Mayweather vs Pacquiao at a bar also equaled 1 sale haha

What, you thought everyone watched in their homes? ? was in their homes, at bars, fight parties, etc., just like this fight is going to be watched on the same mediums.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course this fight goin sell, most likely more than the Manny fight too, this fight crosses markets...MMA market will buy this ? , hoping that Connor beats Floyd and we know boxing fans as much as the media may be against this, will tune in to this ? too

Some dude in the bar talking about, "I won´t be surprised if Mcgregor knocks Floyd out with a roundhouse kick in the first second of the first round and just walks off", no need to guess his guys race, smh...*sighs
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options

wai til the week of

That's like saying everyone who watched Mayweather vs Pacquiao at a bar also equaled 1 sale haha

What, you thought everyone watched in their homes? ? was in their homes, at bars, fight parties, etc., just like this fight is going to be watched on the same mediums.

How do sales work? So if a bar gets the fight that doesn't count as 1 sale?
  • Mastery
    Options

wai til the week of

It does, that was my whole point. It counted as 1 sale when people poured into bars for the Mayweather - Pacquiao fight as well. My point is, I expect this to do similar numbers.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Of course this fight goin sell, most likely more than the Manny fight too, this fight crosses markets...MMA market will buy this ? , hoping that Connor beats Floyd and we know boxing fans as much as the media may be against this, will tune in to this ? too

Some dude in the bar talking about, "I won´t be surprised if Mcgregor knocks Floyd out with a roundhouse kick in the first second of the first round and just walks off", no need to guess his guys race, smh...*sighs

@international
    Who you like in the Broner/Garcia fight ??
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/lomachenko-manager-dares-rigondeaux-come-up-130--117893
    Lomachenko's Manager Dares Rigondeaux: Come Up To 130!

By Steve Kim

Suddenly there is a lot of chatter of a fight between WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) and WBA super bantamweight titlist, Guillermo Rigondeaux (18-0, 12 KOs), with Lomachenko needing an opponent for the late summer.

The chatter is somewhat amusing to Egis Klimas, who manages Lomachenko. In a recent interview, Rigondeaux called for Lomachenko to come down to the featherweight limit of 126 or a catch-weight of 127 or possibly 128.

He told BoxingScene.com in a recent interview - "I'm sick and tired of all the nonsense on Twitter, the media, whatever, like Rigondeaux calling Lomachenko. It's like Lomachenko calling out (Terence) Crawford, 'Hey, come down to 130 and we're going to fight' and then say,'OK, I called Crawford, he's afraid to fight me' - just as an example."

In the past there were attempts to match these two superlative boxers, who each won two Olympic gold medals.

"When Lomachenko was fighting at 126 and was a champion at 126, the offer was put on the table to fight but then they didn't fight. I believe even two times it was offered to Rigondeaux to fight Lomachenko at 126," Klimas recalled.

"They didn't want to come up to fight at 126. They said, 'Oh, let's do a catch-weight at 124'. But that never happened. Lomachenko was a 126-pound fighter, he was a champion at 126 and he says, 'Come here, we can fight.'

"Now, Lomachenko comes up to 130 and even thinking of going to 135, these guys start calling. He's still a 122-pound fighter and he's calling Lomachenko to look back. But [is he] willing to come to 130?"

And with that, Klimas has a very simple message for Team Rigondeaux.

"Come to 130, be my guest," he states.

Could this just be more posturing from the Cuban and his handlers?

"Exactly," agreed Klimas. "Thats what it is. Come to 130 and be my guest to fight Lomachenko."

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-rips-mayweather-shows-lack-respect-boxing--117891
    Hopkins Rips Mayweather: Shows a Lack of Respect For Boxing!

Future Hall of Famer and former two division unified champion Bernard Hopkins believes UFC superstar Conor McGregor should not be allowed to fight someone like Floyd Mayweather Jr. - who is still the biggest name in the sport.

A deal was finalized for Mayweather, 40, to return to the ring for a boxing match against McGregor, on August 26th from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Both athletes stand to make over $100 million from the Showtime pay-per-view showdown.

Hopkins can't believe that someone like McGregor - who has no experience in a boxing ring - would be allowed to fight someone like Mayweather, who is an undefeated former five division world champion and regarded as the best boxer of this generation.

Hopkins is offended that an athlete from another sport, would be allowed to receive the opportunity to make a nine figure payday without paying his dues in the sport.

"This is all fake news. First of all, he hasn't fought an amateur fight to my knowledge. I've checked around and I've been around the game for a long time. He hasn't had any experience as an amateur or a professional. How does any commission, in Vegas or anywhere, give him a license to fight a guy like Mayweather, who is one of the icon guys of our era," Hopkins said.

"How does he get that chance? Boxing should not let, we should not let, the people in business of boxing should not let a person to just walk right in and get the grand prize of boxing. You can't do it in basketball, football, hockey. It ruins the credibility [of boxing]."

Mayweather has no problem allowing McGregor to make a record amount of money. He views McGregor as a credible opponent - although nearly every expert has listed the MMA superstar as a massive underdog.

Hopkins believes Mayweather is sending a bad message by going along with the fight.

"That shows you the lack of respect that he has for the sport," Hopkins said.

Hopkins has a dog in the fight. He is a partner in Golden Boy Promotions, who three weeks later, on September 16th, also at T-Mobile Arena, are staging a massive event where Canelo Alvarez will challenge middleweight king Gennady Golovkin on HBO Pay-Per-View.

The fact that Mayweather-McGregor is taking place three weeks prior is certainly going to have some impact on the overall business, and pre-fight media coverage, for Canelo-Golovkin.
  • international
    Options
    illedout wrote: »

@international
    Who you like in the Broner/Garcia fight ??

Garcia.

Just hope Broner makes a fight of it, he been extra humble and respectful in the run up to the fight, so may have something up his sleeve...but one too many times, he´s raised hope, but ain´t deliver, the weight may give him an advantage tho...tight affair, I´d bet on both, loooool
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/lomachenko-manager-dares-rigondeaux-come-up-130--117893

By Steve Kim

Suddenly there is a lot of chatter of a fight between WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) and WBA super bantamweight titlist, Guillermo Rigondeaux (18-0, 12 KOs), with Lomachenko needing an opponent for the late summer.

The chatter is somewhat amusing to Egis Klimas, who manages Lomachenko. In a recent interview, Rigondeaux called for Lomachenko to come down to the featherweight limit of 126 or a catch-weight of 127 or possibly 128.

He told BoxingScene.com in a recent interview - "I'm sick and tired of all the nonsense on Twitter, the media, whatever, like Rigondeaux calling Lomachenko. It's like Lomachenko calling out (Terence) Crawford, 'Hey, come down to 130 and we're going to fight' and then say,'OK, I called Crawford, he's afraid to fight me' - just as an example."

In the past there were attempts to match these two superlative boxers, who each won two Olympic gold medals.

"When Lomachenko was fighting at 126 and was a champion at 126, the offer was put on the table to fight but then they didn't fight. I believe even two times it was offered to Rigondeaux to fight Lomachenko at 126," Klimas recalled.

"They didn't want to come up to fight at 126. They said, 'Oh, let's do a catch-weight at 124'. But that never happened. Lomachenko was a 126-pound fighter, he was a champion at 126 and he says, 'Come here, we can fight.'

"Now, Lomachenko comes up to 130 and even thinking of going to 135, these guys start calling. He's still a 122-pound fighter and he's calling Lomachenko to look back. But [is he] willing to come to 130?"

"Exactly," agreed Klimas. "Thats what it is. Come to 130 and be my guest to fight Lomachenko."

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-rigondeaux-on-lomachenko-were-calling-your-130-bluff--117905

Team Rigondeaux on Lomachenko: We're Calling Your 130 Bluff!

By Elisinio Castillo

Alex Bornote, co-manager of WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (18-0, 12 KOs), says he is "calling the bluff" of Egis Klimas, manager of WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs).

In an earlier interview with BoxingScene.com's Steve Kim, Klimas said he was tired of hearing Rigondeaux call out his fighter - and dared the Cuban boxer to come up to 130-pounds.

Klimas told BoxingScene.com - "I'm sick and tired of all the nonsense on Twitter, the media, whatever, like Rigondeaux calling Lomachenko. It's like Lomachenko calling out (Terence) Crawford, 'Hey, come down to 130 and we're going to fight' and then say,'OK, I called Crawford, he's afraid to fight me' - just as an example."

And Klimas added:

"They didn't want to come up to fight at 126. They said, 'Oh, let's do a catch-weight at 124'. But that never happened. Lomachenko was a 126-pound fighter, he was a champion at 126 and he says, 'Come here, we can fight.' "Now, Lomachenko comes up to 130 and even thinking of going to 135, these guys start calling. He's still a 122-pound fighter and he's calling Lomachenko to look back. But [is he] willing to come to 130? Come to 130, be my guest. That's what it is. Come to 130 and be my guest to fight Lomachenko."

Bornote says his boxer is ready to go, but expects Klimas to walk away from the fight - after his other star boxer, Sergey Kovalev, was stopped in eight rounds last Saturday night by Andre Ward in Las Vegas. Rigondeaux appeared in the co-feature of that event.

"We accept your offer to fight at 130-pounds. Best fight the best at any weight and Rigo is the best fighter in the world pound-for-pound. So here you go Team Lomachenko - your bluff has been called. Now it's your turn to either fold or call. And I seem to believe after what Andre Ward did to Egis' other fighter this past weekend, I guarantee they will fold," Bornote said in a statement to BoxingScene.com.

tenor.gif
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By Steve Kim

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-rigondeaux-on-lomachenko-were-calling-your-130-bluff--117905

Team Rigondeaux on Lomachenko: We're Calling Your 130 Bluff!

By Elisinio Castillo

Alex Bornote, co-manager of WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (18-0, 12 KOs), says he is "calling the bluff" of Egis Klimas, manager of WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs).

In an earlier interview with BoxingScene.com's Steve Kim, Klimas said he was tired of hearing Rigondeaux call out his fighter - and dared the Cuban boxer to come up to 130-pounds.

Klimas told BoxingScene.com - "I'm sick and tired of all the nonsense on Twitter, the media, whatever, like Rigondeaux calling Lomachenko. It's like Lomachenko calling out (Terence) Crawford, 'Hey, come down to 130 and we're going to fight' and then say,'OK, I called Crawford, he's afraid to fight me' - just as an example."

And Klimas added:

"They didn't want to come up to fight at 126. They said, 'Oh, let's do a catch-weight at 124'. But that never happened. Lomachenko was a 126-pound fighter, he was a champion at 126 and he says, 'Come here, we can fight.' "Now, Lomachenko comes up to 130 and even thinking of going to 135, these guys start calling. He's still a 122-pound fighter and he's calling Lomachenko to look back. But [is he] willing to come to 130? Come to 130, be my guest. That's what it is. Come to 130 and be my guest to fight Lomachenko."

Bornote says his boxer is ready to go, but expects Klimas to walk away from the fight - after his other star boxer, Sergey Kovalev, was stopped in eight rounds last Saturday night by Andre Ward in Las Vegas. Rigondeaux appeared in the co-feature of that event.

"We accept your offer to fight at 130-pounds. Best fight the best at any weight and Rigo is the best fighter in the world pound-for-pound. So here you go Team Lomachenko - your bluff has been called. Now it's your turn to either fold or call. And I seem to believe after what Andre Ward did to Egis' other fighter this past weekend, I guarantee they will fold," Bornote said in a statement to BoxingScene.com.

tenor.gif

my reaction:
    kid%20laughing_zpsifbrxbua.gif
  • international
    Options
    the ball´s in loma´s court now...Rigo too thoro!! (yes prodigy ref intended)
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

wai til the week of

The price for watching a pay-per-view bout at home might be $50, while businesses typically pay $1,500 to $3,000 or more, depending on the size of the venue, according to J&J Sports President Joseph Gagliardi. Many commercial establishments look for ways to illegally use a lower-priced residential signal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-04-12/pay-per-view-wrestles-with-bar-owners

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol Golden Boy need to stop worrying about a fight that has nothing to do with them. How you gon tell someone else what to do with their money.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

? she was tagging the ? outta Cyborg

Black excellence
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D be shuckin and jivin for Oscar got damn smh
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, De La Hoya and Hopkins salty as ? Mayweather is fighting before them haha

Hopkins is jealous.. and DLH still mad that h was relentlessly clowned on 24/7 then outclassed