The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gut looking lil flabby down at the bottom. He got time tho to get in shape.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ethos wrote: »

That's the definition of flabby nowadays? haha Y'all boys wild.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/now-mayweather-active-again-canelo-wants-rematch--117797
    Now That Mayweather is Active Again, Canelo Wants a Rematch

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – A potential second fight against Gennady Golovkin wasn’t the only rematch mentioned to Canelo Alvarez during their press tour.

Now that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has come out of retirement, even if it’s for a mismatch against a mixed martial artist, the hope among some within the boxing industry is that Mayweather will remain active after August 26. If the 40-year-old superstar chooses to keep boxing after fighting Conor McGregor, an early-May return would be likely.

If that scenario unfolds, and Alvarez defeats Golovkin in a middleweight title fight that doesn’t warrant a rematch, a Mayweather-Alvarez rematch might become a marketable option for Mayweather. Though fully focused on his long-awaited showdown with Kazakhstan’s Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) on September 16 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) has always wanted another opportunity to dethrone Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs).

“There’s a saying, you know, first things first,” Alvarez told a small group of reporters through a translator Tuesday night in Manhattan. “But yeah, sure, why not? It’s in the back of my mind, that fight. And I would love to erase that [loss].”

The 26-year-old Alvarez’s lone loss came against Mayweather in their September 2013 fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Mayweather won by majority decision, yet clearly won a 12-round fight one judge, C.J. Ross, somehow scored even (114-114). The two other judges – Craig Metcalfe (117-111) and Dave Moretti (116-112) – scored the fight for Mayweather by large margins.

Mexico’s Alvarez is 7-0 (4 KOs) since losing to Mayweather. The only close fight during that winning streak was his 12-round, split-decision victory over Cuban southpaw Erislandy Lara (24-2-2, 14 KOs) in July 2014 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“I’m more confident now,” Alvarez said. “I’m more experienced. That fight motivated me. I think that, more than anything, instead of deterring me, it motivated me to become a better fighter, a more complete fighter.”
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/now-mayweather-active-again-canelo-wants-rematch--117797

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – A potential second fight against Gennady Golovkin wasn’t the only rematch mentioned to Canelo Alvarez during their press tour.

Now that Floyd Mayweather Jr. has come out of retirement, even if it’s for a mismatch against a mixed martial artist, the hope among some within the boxing industry is that Mayweather will remain active after August 26. If the 40-year-old superstar chooses to keep boxing after fighting Conor McGregor, an early-May return would be likely.

If that scenario unfolds, and Alvarez defeats Golovkin in a middleweight title fight that doesn’t warrant a rematch, a Mayweather-Alvarez rematch might become a marketable option for Mayweather. Though fully focused on his long-awaited showdown with Kazakhstan’s Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) on September 16 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) has always wanted another opportunity to dethrone Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs).

“There’s a saying, you know, first things first,” Alvarez told a small group of reporters through a translator Tuesday night in Manhattan. “But yeah, sure, why not? It’s in the back of my mind, that fight. And I would love to erase that [loss].”

The 26-year-old Alvarez’s lone loss came against Mayweather in their September 2013 fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Mayweather won by majority decision, yet clearly won a 12-round fight one judge, C.J. Ross, somehow scored even (114-114). The two other judges – Craig Metcalfe (117-111) and Dave Moretti (116-112) – scored the fight for Mayweather by large margins.

Mexico’s Alvarez is 7-0 (4 KOs) since losing to Mayweather. The only close fight during that winning streak was his 12-round, split-decision victory over Cuban southpaw Erislandy Lara (24-2-2, 14 KOs) in July 2014 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“I’m more confident now,” Alvarez said. “I’m more experienced. That fight motivated me. I think that, more than anything, instead of deterring me, it motivated me to become a better fighter, a more complete fighter.”

He needs to be worried about ggg
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/salido-agreed-principle-vasyl-lomachenko-rematch--117765
    Salido Has Agreed in Principle To Vasyl Lomachenko Rematch

By Ben Jacobs

A much talked about rematch between Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) and Orlando ‘Siri’ Salido (44-13-4, 31 KOs) could be close to fruition. Earlier tonight Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times tweeted that the Staples Center in California is on hold for August 5 with a view to hosting that bout.

Mexico’s Salido handed Lomachenko his first defeat in what was only his second professional contest back in March, 2014, via a split decision.

BoxingScene.com tonight reached out to Salido’s manager, Sean Gibbons, for an update on the possibility.

“Salido has agreed in principle to the rematch”, Gibbons confirmed.

“There’s one hang-up that Top Rank is trying to work out still and we have a meeting about that tomorrow.

“Financially Salido has agreed to terms so it’s a matter of working out one last thing which I’ll leave to Top Rank to handle. We’ve done everything possible to give Lomachenko the chance to avenge his only professional loss.”

‘Siri’ last fought in his hometown on May 27 claiming victory over Aristides Pérez who retired on his stall while Lomachenko stopped former world champion Jason Sosa in April.

“Salido is older, a little more tired, Lomachenko is a little better so it makes for an intriguing fight,” Gibbons continued.

“Salido is not shot hand and feet wise, maybe doesn’t take as good a shot but he gets up and he’s there to rumble all night.

“He’s a big man at that weight and that creates problems for Lomachenko who is really not a big guy. If he goes to 135lbs he’s going to have a problem.

“We should know by Thursday what’s happening.”

I haven't been on this board in a while, but what's the Cheap Seats opinion of Lomachenko. I think he's being overhyped a tad, but dude is amazing to watch.
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    ethos wrote: »

That's the definition of flabby nowadays? haha Y'all boys wild.

Compared to how he normally looks ya on that area. Almost like love handles lol. Just looks off... idk. But he has 2 months.

Floyd ain't gonna fight Canelo. Doubt he wants to line coke boy pockets
  • Mastery
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/salido-agreed-principle-vasyl-lomachenko-rematch--117765

By Ben Jacobs

A much talked about rematch between Vasyl Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) and Orlando ‘Siri’ Salido (44-13-4, 31 KOs) could be close to fruition. Earlier tonight Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times tweeted that the Staples Center in California is on hold for August 5 with a view to hosting that bout.

Mexico’s Salido handed Lomachenko his first defeat in what was only his second professional contest back in March, 2014, via a split decision.

BoxingScene.com tonight reached out to Salido’s manager, Sean Gibbons, for an update on the possibility.

“There’s one hang-up that Top Rank is trying to work out still and we have a meeting about that tomorrow.

“Financially Salido has agreed to terms so it’s a matter of working out one last thing which I’ll leave to Top Rank to handle. We’ve done everything possible to give Lomachenko the chance to avenge his only professional loss.”

‘Siri’ last fought in his hometown on May 27 claiming victory over Aristides Pérez who retired on his stall while Lomachenko stopped former world champion Jason Sosa in April.

“Salido is older, a little more tired, Lomachenko is a little better so it makes for an intriguing fight,” Gibbons continued.

“Salido is not shot hand and feet wise, maybe doesn’t take as good a shot but he gets up and he’s there to rumble all night.

“He’s a big man at that weight and that creates problems for Lomachenko who is really not a big guy. If he goes to 135lbs he’s going to have a problem.

I haven't been on this board in a while, but what's the Cheap Seats opinion of Lomachenko. I think he's being overhyped a tad, but dude is amazing to watch.

I think the hype is warranted. His skill set is amazing.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

By Ben Jacobs

He definitely deserves to be hyped. But you got people like Joe Rogan already saying he's the best ever. That's a bit much. Dude is impressive though. To me, he's to offensive boxing what Floyd is to defensive boxing.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

By Keith Idec

Floyd would fight Pacquiao again before he rematches Canelo.
  • Mastery
    Options

By Ben Jacobs

He definitely deserves to be hyped. But you got people like Joe Rogan already saying he's the best ever. That's a bit much. Dude is impressive though. To me, he's to offensive boxing what Floyd is to defensive boxing.

Yeah, best ever? Joe just licking his nuts now haha He has to put in far more time against legitimate opponents to even be in the conversation.

What are your thoughts @playmaker88 ?
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By Ben Jacobs

Lom is P4P #2 to me. I've never saw a boxer with better footwork than this guy. Ever. After he whoops Rig he will be considered the best in boxing, I don't see anyone at his weight beating him. And hes shown he will fight anyone. He picked difficult fights as soon as he turned professional
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, he hype till he steps up his level of comp... P4P spot has better candidates in Andre Ward, Terence Crawford, Rig and Canelo!

Mikey might hand Lomo a loss too...
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »

By Ben Jacobs

Lom is P4P #2 to me. I've never saw a boxer with better footwork than this guy. Ever. After he whoops Rig he will be considered the best in boxing, I don't see anyone at his weight beating him. And hes shown he will fight anyone. He picked difficult fights as soon as he turned professional

I'll believe it when I see it
  • Mastery
    Options

By Ben Jacobs

That's a 50/50 fight to me (Rigo). Also, he need to avenge that loss to Salido haha
  • Mastery
    Options
    DiBella comedy bruh haha
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    lol Can you imagine if personalities in the NBA or NFL acted or talked the way that they do in boxing. FInes all day every day bruh.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options
    Nah, he hype till he steps up his level of comp... P4P spot has better candidates in Andre Ward, Terence Crawford, Rig and Canelo!

? in his first 10 fights he's fought Gary russel. Nichalos Walters and Salido. ? r u talking bout levels of competition. And who wanna beat they money on rig? Cause I'll gladly take that money
  • Mastery
    Options

? in his first 10 fights he's fought Gary russel. Nichalos Walters and Salido. ? r u talking bout levels of competition. And who wanna beat they money on rig? Cause I'll gladly take that money

He gotta get past Salido first haha
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options

Bet ur money
  • Mastery
    Options

Bet ur money

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By Ben Jacobs

his fluidity is second to none.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022qaabRsQY
    Tevin Farmer Speaks on His Beef With Floyd Mayweather's Boxer, Gervonta Davis + 50 Cent Comments
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canelo's take on Mayweather McGregor
    https://youtu.be/yRRz9kE7JNE
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options

Bet ur money

We both know that fight is going to be over in like 6