The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/top-ranks-duboef-rips-mikey-garcia-open-garcia-lomachenko--119049
    Top Rank's duBoef Rips Mikey Garcia, Open to Garcia-Lomachenko

By Keith Idec

If Mikey Garcia genuinely wants to fight Vasyl Lomachenko, Top Rank president Todd duBoef promised Monday that Garcia’s former promoter would welcome negotiations.

Garcia has repeatedly said he’s not sure high-profile fights against Lomachenko at 135 pounds and Terence Crawford at 140 pounds are realistic options because of Garcia’s history with Top Rank. The undefeated three-division champion reached a financial settlement 14 months ago to terminate his contract with Bob Arum’s promotional company.

The business standoff Garcia initiated with Top Rank helped keep Garcia out of the ring for 2½ years and left Top Rank executives perplexed regarding Garcia’s position. That doesn’t mean, however, that Top Rank wouldn’t make Garcia-Lomachenko or Garcia-Crawford.

“Listen, if Mikey Garcia’s interested in the fight, have his guys call us,” an agitated duBoef said during a conference call Monday to promote Lomachenko’s 130-pound title fight against Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night in Los Angeles. “We’re in. Any time. Any time. I mean, the guy leaves us and then he mentions the three guys I wanna fight are Pacquiao, Crawford and Lomachenko [all promoted by Top Rank]. Why would you leave and go on strike for two years? I hate to call it how it is, guys.”

Garcia’s third performance since he came back last summer was his most impressive. The Oxnard, California, native moved up from 135 pounds to 140 and out-boxed four-division champion Adrien Broner to win a 12-round unanimous decision Saturday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

After beating Broner (33-3, 24 KOs, 1 NC), Garcia reiterated his desire to embrace big challenges. He mentioned Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs), Crawford (31-0, 22 KOs), WBA lightweight champion Jorge Linares (42-3, 27 KOs) and even WBA/WBC welterweight champion Keith Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs, 1 NC) as potential opponents.

DuBoef scoffed at the idea Garcia is willing to take the toughest fights.

“I am sick and tired of people filling you guys with a bunch of bullsh*t,” duBoef said, “and telling you that they wanna fight the greatest fighters out there and they’re available. That is complete nonsense. Mikey Garcia turned down [Yuriorkis] Gamboa, which would’ve made him something. So don’t tell me he’s striving to fight the best out there. He then came and said, ‘Oh, I wanna fight Pacquiao,’ after a two-year layoff. ‘I wanna fight Crawford. I wanna fight Lomachenko.’ Great. We’re here. His f***ing trainer shows up to say, ‘Hey, we wanna talk about it.’ And then he goes off and makes a Broner fight. Stop the nonsense. Stop it.

“These guys, they yap bullsh*t to you guys and that they’re these pristine people. They don’t go out there and create making matches. Vasyl has never dodged anybody. Crawford never dodged anybody. … They fight everybody out there. I hate these guys that tell them, ‘Oh, the reason why [is] they wanted the big fights out there.’ [And] he couldn’t fight Gamboa. Nonsense.”

So according to DuBoef.. Lomo never dodged anybody.. So I guess the Rigo fight next for him...

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-hits-back-todd-duboef-criticism-gamboa-claim--119074
    Mikey Garcia Hits Back at Todd duBoef's Criticism, Gamboa Claim

By Keith Idec

Mikey Garcia shrugged off criticism from his former promoter.

Garcia told ESNews in an interview posted on YouTube that he thinks Top Rank’s Todd duBoef disputing Garcia is “a big name” in boxing and other comments were the byproduct of Garcia ending his promotional partnership with Top Rank last year. DuBoef, Top Rank’s president, said during a conference call Monday that he wasn’t overly impressed with Garcia’s convincing victory over Adrien Broner on Saturday night and questioned whether Garcia actually is willing to take on the biggest challenges available.

DuBoef’s criticism of Garcia came in response to a reporter’s question about Vasyl Lomachenko facing Garcia if he defeats Colombia’s Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night in Los Angeles (ESPN).

“He wasn’t impressed,” Garcia told ESNews regarding duBoef’s comments. “He wasn’t happy. The fans are not clamoring [for] Mikey Garcia. I’m not a big name yet or something. I mean, he’s not my promoter, so I understand why he wouldn’t mention me. But look, if all the media keeps bringing my name up with their fighters, that should tell them something, you know?

“But obviously they’re not interested in fighting me with their fighters, they’ve got their own agenda. That’s cool. So that’s why he doesn’t wanna mention my name. He’d rather fight other guys and keep their fighters busy with opponents that are not relevant, opponents that are not anything special, opponents that are not former champions or nothing major, just opponents just to keep ‘em busy.”

Garcia (37-0, 30 KOs), the WBC lightweight champion, was referring to Lomachenko defending his WBO super featherweight title against Marriaga. Ukraine’s Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) – one of the best boxers, pound-for-pound in the sport – is heavily favored to defeat Colombia’s Marriaga (25-2, 21 KOs), who in his last fight lost a unanimous decision to WBO featherweight champion Oscar Valdez (22-0, 19 KOs) on April 22 in Carson, California.

The 29-year-old Garcia would like to fight Lomachenko at 135 pounds or WBC/WBO super lightweight champion Terence Crawford at 140 pounds. Bob Arum’s Top Rank promotes Lomachenko and Crawford (31-0, 22 KOs).

Garcia senses that Top Rank wouldn’t be willing to make those fights due to their contentious history, but duBoef said during the conference call that Top Rank would be open to those negotiations.

“We’re going after the bigger challenges, big names that make sense,” Garcia said. “If they want it, like his fighters, if they want it, because I know a fighter will fight anybody. But it’s not the fighter that makes the call – it’s the promoter and manager. And Bob Arum, Top Rank, Todd duBoef, they’re the ones handling those decisions, not the fighters.

“I make my own decisions. I handle my own career. I love where I am. I love being where I am because if certain fighters are not available, I’ll go on to the next one. And they can’t do that. That’s why Top Rank’s fighters recently are fighting just opponents, because they have nothing else to offer. And we’re not. We’re going after bigger fights. … Top Rank definitely has other plans for their fighters and it’s not in their best interests, or Top Rank doesn’t see it in their best interests, to bring my name around the discussion.”

A smiling Garcia also took issue with duBoef’s contention that Garcia wouldn’t agree to fight then-unbeaten Yuriorkis Gamboa in 2014.

“Well, he’s gonna have to bring [up] the Gamboa topic to try and talk me down,” Garcia said. “I’m not his fighter, so he can’t speak nicely. Maybe they’re still a little upset that we left. But, you know, the fight with Gamboa never happened because it only came with another extension onto my contract. And I wasn’t willing to extend any terms on the contract.

“We were willing to fight Gamboa back then, but under separate terms, not any extensions. And he knows that. He don’t have to lie. But whatever, that’s in the past. Like I said, I’m moving on with my career, I’m looking for big fights, we’re taking big challenges. I’m not gonna wait and sit around for anybody, you know?”
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    Mastery wrote: »
    http://www.boxingscene.com/mcgregor-malignaggi-sparring-session-erupted-says-joe-cortez--119073

@playmaker88

Cortez saying he had to break up the sparring session between Malignaggi and McGregor because they started getting pretty rough with one another haha

This probably explains why they weren't sparring eachother after that first time. Though I did read they were supposed to go again sometime soon.

Paulie was saying mcgregor got some decent power nothing crazy after the Broner asswhooping

Yeah in that interview he was sporting a marked up face and a black eye haha
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Broner no big wins since Antonio Demarco

and the only reason he's known is because Valero made him famous with that ass whipping
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Crawford beats Horn easily. I wanna see Crawford in a competitive fight. All the welterweights are with PBC.

@buttuh_b

Crawfords next fight on the 19th may be somewhat competitive. Indongo is undefeated and holds the WBA/IBF belts, while Crawford holds WBC/WBO belts.

It'll be the first time a junior welterweight will hold every single title at once in 12 years.

I remember saying Crawford a few years back and Yall ? didn't agree

Look at him now

I did 2... some other folk did2
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/top-ranks-duboef-rips-mikey-garcia-open-garcia-lomachenko--119049
    Top Rank's duBoef Rips Mikey Garcia, Open to Garcia-Lomachenko

By Keith Idec

If Mikey Garcia genuinely wants to fight Vasyl Lomachenko, Top Rank president Todd duBoef promised Monday that Garcia’s former promoter would welcome negotiations.

Garcia has repeatedly said he’s not sure high-profile fights against Lomachenko at 135 pounds and Terence Crawford at 140 pounds are realistic options because of Garcia’s history with Top Rank. The undefeated three-division champion reached a financial settlement 14 months ago to terminate his contract with Bob Arum’s promotional company.

The business standoff Garcia initiated with Top Rank helped keep Garcia out of the ring for 2½ years and left Top Rank executives perplexed regarding Garcia’s position. That doesn’t mean, however, that Top Rank wouldn’t make Garcia-Lomachenko or Garcia-Crawford.

“Listen, if Mikey Garcia’s interested in the fight, have his guys call us,” an agitated duBoef said during a conference call Monday to promote Lomachenko’s 130-pound title fight against Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night in Los Angeles. “We’re in. Any time. Any time. I mean, the guy leaves us and then he mentions the three guys I wanna fight are Pacquiao, Crawford and Lomachenko [all promoted by Top Rank]. Why would you leave and go on strike for two years? I hate to call it how it is, guys.”

Garcia’s third performance since he came back last summer was his most impressive. The Oxnard, California, native moved up from 135 pounds to 140 and out-boxed four-division champion Adrien Broner to win a 12-round unanimous decision Saturday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

After beating Broner (33-3, 24 KOs, 1 NC), Garcia reiterated his desire to embrace big challenges. He mentioned Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs), Crawford (31-0, 22 KOs), WBA lightweight champion Jorge Linares (42-3, 27 KOs) and even WBA/WBC welterweight champion Keith Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs, 1 NC) as potential opponents.

DuBoef scoffed at the idea Garcia is willing to take the toughest fights.

“I am sick and tired of people filling you guys with a bunch of bullsh*t,” duBoef said, “and telling you that they wanna fight the greatest fighters out there and they’re available. That is complete nonsense. Mikey Garcia turned down [Yuriorkis] Gamboa, which would’ve made him something. So don’t tell me he’s striving to fight the best out there. He then came and said, ‘Oh, I wanna fight Pacquiao,’ after a two-year layoff. ‘I wanna fight Crawford. I wanna fight Lomachenko.’ Great. We’re here. His f***ing trainer shows up to say, ‘Hey, we wanna talk about it.’ And then he goes off and makes a Broner fight. Stop the nonsense. Stop it.

“These guys, they yap bullsh*t to you guys and that they’re these pristine people. They don’t go out there and create making matches. Vasyl has never dodged anybody. Crawford never dodged anybody. … They fight everybody out there. I hate these guys that tell them, ‘Oh, the reason why [is] they wanted the big fights out there.’ [And] he couldn’t fight Gamboa. Nonsense.”

So according to DuBoef.. Lomo never dodged anybody.. So I guess the Rigo fight next for him...

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-hits-back-todd-duboef-criticism-gamboa-claim--119074
    Mikey Garcia Hits Back at Todd duBoef's Criticism, Gamboa Claim

By Keith Idec

Mikey Garcia shrugged off criticism from his former promoter.

Garcia told ESNews in an interview posted on YouTube that he thinks Top Rank’s Todd duBoef disputing Garcia is “a big name” in boxing and other comments were the byproduct of Garcia ending his promotional partnership with Top Rank last year. DuBoef, Top Rank’s president, said during a conference call Monday that he wasn’t overly impressed with Garcia’s convincing victory over Adrien Broner on Saturday night and questioned whether Garcia actually is willing to take on the biggest challenges available.

DuBoef’s criticism of Garcia came in response to a reporter’s question about Vasyl Lomachenko facing Garcia if he defeats Colombia’s Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night in Los Angeles (ESPN).

“He wasn’t impressed,” Garcia told ESNews regarding duBoef’s comments. “He wasn’t happy. The fans are not clamoring [for] Mikey Garcia. I’m not a big name yet or something. I mean, he’s not my promoter, so I understand why he wouldn’t mention me. But look, if all the media keeps bringing my name up with their fighters, that should tell them something, you know?

“But obviously they’re not interested in fighting me with their fighters, they’ve got their own agenda. That’s cool. So that’s why he doesn’t wanna mention my name. He’d rather fight other guys and keep their fighters busy with opponents that are not relevant, opponents that are not anything special, opponents that are not former champions or nothing major, just opponents just to keep ‘em busy.”

Garcia (37-0, 30 KOs), the WBC lightweight champion, was referring to Lomachenko defending his WBO super featherweight title against Marriaga. Ukraine’s Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs) – one of the best boxers, pound-for-pound in the sport – is heavily favored to defeat Colombia’s Marriaga (25-2, 21 KOs), who in his last fight lost a unanimous decision to WBO featherweight champion Oscar Valdez (22-0, 19 KOs) on April 22 in Carson, California.

The 29-year-old Garcia would like to fight Lomachenko at 135 pounds or WBC/WBO super lightweight champion Terence Crawford at 140 pounds. Bob Arum’s Top Rank promotes Lomachenko and Crawford (31-0, 22 KOs).

Garcia senses that Top Rank wouldn’t be willing to make those fights due to their contentious history, but duBoef said during the conference call that Top Rank would be open to those negotiations.

“We’re going after the bigger challenges, big names that make sense,” Garcia said. “If they want it, like his fighters, if they want it, because I know a fighter will fight anybody. But it’s not the fighter that makes the call – it’s the promoter and manager. And Bob Arum, Top Rank, Todd duBoef, they’re the ones handling those decisions, not the fighters.

“I make my own decisions. I handle my own career. I love where I am. I love being where I am because if certain fighters are not available, I’ll go on to the next one. And they can’t do that. That’s why Top Rank’s fighters recently are fighting just opponents, because they have nothing else to offer. And we’re not. We’re going after bigger fights. … Top Rank definitely has other plans for their fighters and it’s not in their best interests, or Top Rank doesn’t see it in their best interests, to bring my name around the discussion.”

A smiling Garcia also took issue with duBoef’s contention that Garcia wouldn’t agree to fight then-unbeaten Yuriorkis Gamboa in 2014.

“Well, he’s gonna have to bring [up] the Gamboa topic to try and talk me down,” Garcia said. “I’m not his fighter, so he can’t speak nicely. Maybe they’re still a little upset that we left. But, you know, the fight with Gamboa never happened because it only came with another extension onto my contract. And I wasn’t willing to extend any terms on the contract.

“We were willing to fight Gamboa back then, but under separate terms, not any extensions. And he knows that. He don’t have to lie. But whatever, that’s in the past. Like I said, I’m moving on with my career, I’m looking for big fights, we’re taking big challenges. I’m not gonna wait and sit around for anybody, you know?”

Same ? they tried to do to Floyd Chavez Jr and now Garcia. Then bash them in the media asfter they leave claiming ducks.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Paulie should be ashamed

Why? Its a clown show n a money grab all round.

Why shouldnt Paulie get a couple checks. Meh
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tgh8ahxqwu8s.png

Why y'all think Floyd changed his mind?
  • Mastery
    Options
    tgh8ahxqwu8s.png

Why y'all think Floyd changed his mind?

Maybe he feels like going for the KO? McGregor is about to get hit more flush than he ever has in his life haha
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im takin Garcia over Loma..

Let's make that happen. 50 ?

Ohhh no, ya'll aint bout to get me bettin on ? ..

370.gif[img][/img]
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    http://www.boxingnews24.com/2017/08/canelo-ducking-charlo/

Canelo is declining to fight for GGG WBC belt, which is the mandatory title one of them would have to defend against Charlo. The duck is in people. He going to avoid Charlo at all cost haha

These ? soft man...

But it could be "politics" like Spence mentioned in that breakfast club interview. He's with Haymon.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingnews24.com/2017/08/jeff-horn-wants-errol-spence/

Jeff Horn says he wants to fight Errol Spence if no Pacquiao rematch haha

I kinda hope he takes that fight
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spence probably ? that man lol.

Pac ain't retiring tho. He gonna be like Roy, fighting forever chasing a buck lol
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    Paulie should be ashamed

Huh? I meant for getting beat up
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wlad neva got tha credit he deserved. .. it wasn't his fault he came up in a weak era of heavyweight boxin
  • Mastery
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    Paulie should be ashamed

Huh? I meant for getting beat up

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20231739/conor-mcgregor-paulie-malignaggi-go-12-rounds-second-sparring-session

@Elzo69Renaissance

? is getting more intense. They had their 2nd sparring match recently. Looks like they set Paulie up for the okie doke. Paulie said he does see improvement from McGregor compared to two weeks ago.

"Lot of violence," Malignaggi said. "I went in there to prove a point. I didn't like the fact I had to fly across the country on Monday, and they have me scheduled for 12 [rounds] on Tuesday. I thought it was a little bit of a setup.

"Usually all sparring is private. I show up at the UFC headquarters and [former owner, Lorenzo] Fertitta is there. [UFC president] Dana White is there. So, I'm thinking these guys are thinking they'll catch me right off the flight, set me up for him to look good in front of his audience. I didn't like that. I kind of went in with a chip on my shoulder."
  • playmaker88
    Options
    For those of you picking Broner to win... What does he possess outside of the size advantage he will have that has you picking him to win?

@ethos
    @Arya Tsaddiq
    @aneed123

I don´t believe Ab wins, but he also got more skills than Mikey and he a better boxer technically too...

You are smoking ? rocks

406028_o.gif
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9xy8WyOvI

Lomo says he wants the Garcia fight but then he explains why it can't happen...
  • Mastery
    Options
    For those of you picking Broner to win... What does he possess outside of the size advantage he will have that has you picking him to win?

@ethos
    @Arya Tsaddiq
    @aneed123

I don´t believe Ab wins, but he also got more skills than Mikey and he a better boxer technically too...

You are smoking ? rocks

406028_o.gif

@international

1a3u07l6p8zr.gif

• stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTSsEYKWmwQ

Lomo even likes to duck Rigo questions too.. Smh...
  • playmaker88
    Options
    He would knock Rigo out..

and no one saying anything about Gervonta.... ok
  • Mastery
    Options
    He would knock Rigo out..

and no one saying anything about Gervonta.... ok

Idk about that one bruh (Rigo being KO'd) although anything is possible.

And yes, they are going to avoid Gervonta at all costs.