NL East Discussion Thread(Marlins Preview. Marlins Opening Day Wednesday 7PM E/T ESPN)

Options

Comments

• bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_m04hugTBz21qe1d8xo1_500.jpg

eye-on-ebay%C2%AE-new-era-mlb-vintage-florida-marlins-59fifty-fitted-caps-1.jpg

Old school Marlins

I ? with this one. I never understood why they needed that ol' raggedy ass fish on there tho.

I guess I just don't like "logos" on ball caps. The best baseball fitteds are the ones that don't include a logo, just an insignia of the team's initials or something.

(ATL, Yankees, St. Louis, Dodgers, etc.)

Imagine a Yankee cap if they had that corny uncle-sam hat/baseball bat on the front instead of the interlocking "NY". lol.

It depends with me. I rock alot of the minor league fitteds with the logo's and for the most part they are hot....
    OOF-Richmond1-2_large.png
    64-03535-Y.jpg
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote:

Old school Marlins

I ? with this one. I never understood why they needed that ol' raggedy ass fish on there tho.

I guess I just don't like "logos" on ball caps. The best baseball fitteds are the ones that don't include a logo, just an insignia of the team's initials or something.

Imagine a Yankee cap if they had that corny uncle-sam hat/baseball bat on the front instead of the interlocking "NY". lol.

It depends with me. I rock alot of the minor league fitteds with the logo's and for the most part they are hot....
    64-03535-Y.jpg

My uncle bought me a Tulsa Drillers hat a couple years ago. ? ain't half-bad...

hwl?set=sku%5B20213263%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B400%5D,h%5B300%5D&load=url%5Bfile:product%5D

^^^ Every time I wear it, I get at least 5 "what squad is that?" questions. lol
  • bigev240
    Options
    bigev240 wrote:

Old school Marlins

64-03535-Y.jpg

hwl?set=sku%5B20213263%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B400%5D,h%5B300%5D&load=url%5Bfile:product%5D

Same here. lol
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got this one I'm still 50-50 on it tho

MLb%20Atlanta%20Braves%20Snapback%20Hats%20Darkgreen%20Red%20New%20Era%2059Fifty%20Caps.jpg
  • bigev240
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »

MLb%20Atlanta%20Braves%20Snapback%20Hats%20Darkgreen%20Red%20New%20Era%2059Fifty%20Caps.jpg

Never been a fan of snapbacks. Now if it was a fitted I would rock it.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    allday1992 wrote:

Never seen this one. I never liked snap-backs tho. Even before the current fad.

Look like something these ? would wear to the "Omni" or the Underground...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8GCGLwvjSL9cCwyLH5kc5mVFVVBTEdkodpYiMgnprKamIKRGfRQ

• greenwood1921
    Options
    bigev240 wrote:
    bigev240 wrote:

Old school Marlins

64-03535-Y.jpg

Same here. lol

Can't even front, there are some decent Minor League fitteds. More Drillers ones...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdXKdMqWTYpkDZv5bBLvy5ifwlP3KznPgaXgGpEla3kRnfmPLv

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtEnbizkL3Ntn25R0lqT-Bct0qdCXrd6fdb6cak5TRz9oAHwrDMw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNJ7mvUZeFnX-9dv1PRLWHw5j9SVHu60o13BH4NBjpHEGsUObb

*Bout to cop that one ^^^^ off ebay right now.

$7 minor league fitteds FTW. lol. BigEv got me started on something...
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    Phillies might have the worst hat in the division I just never liked it

Philadelphia-Phillies-Hats-MLB-All-Star-Patch-hat.jpg
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    The only snapback I went lookin for was the world series one

Atlanta-Braves-MLB-1995-World-Series-Hat-With-Green-Under-Visor-New-Era-59fifty-Fitted-Cap-V2-1.jpg
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    allday1992 wrote:
    Phillies might have the worst hat in the division I just never liked it

Philadelphia-Phillies-Hats-MLB-All-Star-Patch-hat.jpg

lol.

Not the red one, definitely.

My favorite non-Braves ones are...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFl8aWDp9vcvTuSP-LKZiLX3A60Qx4InL1yhlQ-xX7MDOAfPn9

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdfk_CEA8rS8vrF-gHaxUgaeI6BDuXaRl3GMvnqJSEY2YeOcWU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSe83D2kyF3T-r0p_gXeMax5jKd4V4XAtOAPjvNbtj7faw-0Hfs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX4_uRZK1WnuooMyHJX0Pm-1V9Hny35_Ba1QDpN6eWhpFJt0X6mg

Simple, but stylish. I own at least one of all the above. 7 3/8 ftw!
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    *Realizes this is another classic Greenwood derailment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJt4HtkuZqNNyPMCMjypgb2Ssr7LiZX1bJzshdlBn3cpHbQE6A
  • bigev240
    Options
    bigev240 wrote:
    bigev240 wrote:

Old school Marlins

64-03535-Y.jpg

Same here. lol

Can't even front, there are some decent Minor League fitteds. More Drillers ones...

Here are a couple I'm about to get...
    hwl?set=sku[20214320],c[2],w[400],h[300]&load=url[file:product]
    hwl?set=sku[20214297],c[2],w[400],h[300]&load=url[file:product]
    hwl?set=sku[20267950],c[22],w[400],h[300]&load=url[file:product]
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    bigev240 wrote:
    bigev240 wrote:
    bigev240 wrote:

Old school Marlins

64-03535-Y.jpg

Same here. lol

Here are a couple I'm about to get...

hwl?set=sku[20267950],c[22],w[400],h[300]&load=url[file:product]

^^^ This one.
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    Damn mets at least I can get tickets on stub hub for like 20 bucks for lower level

Wait til a few days before the game you want to go to, tickets will drop significantly. Also, you going to Opening Day? I'm thinking about it, it should be GOAT w/ the Carter ceremony.

Where's that Marlins preview lol

Coming soon bruh, I'm writing these ? , so don't expect them daily like the newspaper. lol
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    lolz @ thread title.

You know how IIIII do.

Anyway, yeah, I'm hoping this dude stays healthy...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBQPNcrHcATSZdpKTlRpYEEJSiBbUGYoKDhp_n0rtqn0uKUk9h

...Hometown kid with all the tools. Bullpen looking strong on some mid-90s ish. Uggz and Prado need to ball out too.

And I'm honestly tired of looking at Chipper Jones.

439045.gif

Yeah, you, cracka.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where's that Marlins preview lol

Well they have the worst uniforms, hats, and color scheme in all of baseball
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options
    Braves trade a top 15 prospect from their organization
    Around the perimeter of the Atlanta sports world.
    Atlanta Braves Make Interesting Move By Acquiring Juan Francisco From Reds

The Atlanta Braves know that Chipper Jones will only be healthy for so many games in 2012. He has averaged about 115 starts the last three seasons, and he'll already begin the upcoming year on the disabled list with a torn knee meniscus. GIven his injury concerns and a lack of viable options for third base, general manager Frank Wren struck a deal with the Reds on Sunday afternoon.

Juan Francisco, a 24-year-old third baseman who has been blocked by various players in Cincinnati over the years, was acquired by Atlanta in exchange for pitching prospect J.J. Hoover.

Let's take a closer look at Francisco and why the club was willing to deal a top-15 prospect for him.

The scouting report on Francisco appears to be this: a lefty, he has all the power in the world, but he is a bit of a hacker at the plate and had a poor walk-to-strikeout ratio in the Minor Leagues. At 6'3'' and 245lbs, the new third baseman will fit right in with his teammates as he chugs around the bases. Most would tell you his defensive range is pretty limited given his weight, but he features a cannon of an arm.

Many feel that he will end up either a bench player or 4-A guy (someone who continually bounces around between the Majors and Minors for their career) but he is still young enough to possibly improve and become a starter for a few seasons. This seems unlikely, but Francisco never really has been given much of an opportunity at the highest level.

Given his career splits -- 247 / .289 / .420 vs. LHP; 324 / .355 / .621 vs. RHB -- my guess is the Braves will play him at third on days a right-handed pitcher is on the mound. Whenever Atlanta faces a lefty, it will be Martin Prado at the hot corner and Matt Diaz filling in for him out in left field. Francisco will also be one of the primary left-handed pinch-hitting option along with Eric Hinske.

I like the move a decent bit. Hoover was blocked in our system and was looking more and more like a middle innings bullpen guy. Francisco has a huge upside, and while the slugger likely won't ever reach it, he's an improvement over other options for third base whenever Chipper is unable to go.
    http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-braves/2012/4/1/2918252/juan-francisco-atlanta-braves-trade-rumors-reds-jj-hoover

Mets Announce Starting Rotation
    New York Mets

@Mets
    Manager Terry Collins announced the rotation. Johan Santana will start Opening Day and be followed by Dickey, Niese, Pelfrey and Gee. http://realdirtymets.com/2012/04/01/mets-announce-rotation-santana-named-opening-day-starter/
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Good, we got Chipper-Insurance. I can dig it
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Options

Why you hate Chipper? He's a sure-fire HoF'er, he is one of the best Braves ever, as well as a top 3B of all-time. I'd love to have someone come through the Mets farm system, become a HoF'er, and witness that player WIN w/ the Mets and retire as a Met. Ya'll don't know how great ya had it, w/ Chipper/? /Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux, so many Hof'ers. Yeah, I'm mad. :(

Marlins
    The neon colored uniforms; the flamboyant statue in center field, the fiery manager and the enigmatic pitcher Carlos Zambrano. From the colors to the uniforms, this team screams and embodies Miami. Despite the Marlin's recent changes, the team still has one overall question. Can this team and will this team compete in this division? Experts are torn on this club, some see the Marlins as a division winner, while a few peg the Marlins just shy of making the post-season. Do I see this club as a force to be reckoned with, or as bottom feeders?

Despite the Marlins' concerns last year, this line-up shouldn't be one of them in 2012. A full season of a healthy Hanley Ramirez should make the difference, as he'll likely bounce back and make everyone around him better. I predict Hanley Ramirez; Giancarlo Stanton, and Logan Morrison will all hit 25 HRs. I was ready to add Gaby Sanchez to the list, however w/ the new ballpark's spacious dimensions, I believe he'll regress a bit power wise. Gaby will still have a good season, he'll hit for a higher average combined w/ more extra-base hits, and will post a .275 AVG/.365 OBP/40+ XBH/90+ RBI campaign. I don't expect Jose Reyes to say healthy for the whole year, however him and Emilio Bonifacio both will each steal 30+ bases this year.

Similar to the Nationals, the Miami Marlins are largely dependent on their ace's health for a strong rotation and a shot at competing within the division. Josh Johnson has only pitched 180+ innings twice in his 6 year career, so there is a lot of concern revolving his health. I believe he'll prove the doubters wrong, Josh Johnson will stay healthy for 2012 and play near Cy Young level. Annibal Sanchez is due for a great year as well, and his play will earn a hefty contract in the off-season. Mark Buerhle and Carlos Zambrano won't dazzle the stat sheet, but they'll be durable innings eater who'll be effective in the Marlins' pitching park. Ricky Nolasco who is plagued by inconsistency, however I believe this park and an improved fielding team will make Nolasco seem like an AS pitcher, and will have a breakout year.

Overall, assuming Josh Johnson is healthy, the Marlins are a force to be reckoned with in the division as well as the National League. I believe they'll win 92 games, and that the Marlins will be a strong threat to win the World Series.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Ill be covering the Braves all season long again this year beginning with the Future Stars game tomorrow and Im gonna go on record and say that they will prolly miss the playoffs again this year. I only say this cause I think the Nat's and Marlins will improve by 10-15 games this year and the Braves really didnt do much to improve this offseason. They already had trouble with them being ? teams. I hope im wrong for financial purposes but just what I think as of now.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    Options
    WOAT thread title lol
  • greenwood1921
    Options

Why you hate Chipper? He's a sure-fire HoF'er, he is one of the best Braves ever, as well as a top 3B of all-time. I'd love to have someone come through the Mets farm system, become a HoF'er, and witness that player WIN w/ the Mets and retire as a Met. Ya'll don't know how great ya had it, w/ Chipper/? /Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux, so many Hof'ers. Yeah, I'm mad. :(

Marlins
    The neon colored uniforms; the flamboyant statue in center field, the fiery manager and the enigmatic pitcher Carlos Zambrano. From the colors to the uniforms, this team screams and embodies Miami. Despite the Marlin's recent changes, the team still has one overall question. Can this team and will this team compete in this division? Experts are torn on this club, some see the Marlins as a division winner, while a few peg the Marlins just shy of making the post-season. Do I see this club as a force to be reckoned with, or as bottom feeders?

Despite the Marlins' concerns last year, this line-up shouldn't be one of them in 2012. A full season of a healthy Hanley Ramirez should make the difference, as he'll likely bounce back and make everyone around him better. I predict Hanley Ramirez; Giancarlo Stanton, and Logan Morrison will all hit 25 HRs. I was ready to add Gaby Sanchez to the list, however w/ the new ballpark's spacious dimensions, I believe he'll regress a bit power wise. Gaby will still have a good season, he'll hit for a higher average combined w/ more extra-base hits, and will post a .275 AVG/.365 OBP/40+ XBH/90+ RBI campaign. I don't expect Jose Reyes to say healthy for the whole year, however him and Emilio Bonifacio both will each steal 30+ bases this year.

Similar to the Nationals, the Miami Marlins are largely dependent on their ace's health for a strong rotation and a shot at competing within the division. Josh Johnson has only pitched 180+ innings twice in his 6 year career, so there is a lot of concern revolving his health. I believe he'll prove the doubters wrong, Josh Johnson will stay healthy for 2012 and play near Cy Young level. Annibal Sanchez is due for a great year as well, and his play will earn a hefty contract in the off-season. Mark Buerhle and Carlos Zambrano won't dazzle the stat sheet, but they'll be durable innings eater who'll be effective in the Marlins' pitching park. Ricky Nolasco who is plagued by inconsistency, however I believe this park and an improved fielding team will make Nolasco seem like an AS pitcher, and will have a breakout year.

Overall, assuming Josh Johnson is healthy, the Marlins are a force to be reckoned with in the division as well as the National League. I believe they'll win 92 games, and that the Marlins will be a strong threat to win the World Series.

I got all the luv in the world for Chipper's career as a whole.

But he's a liability now, IMO. I feel like we've missed out on Free Agents because of him, and I think there are coaches, front office types, etc, that are afraid to tell him something he wont like.

I can't wait until he goes to the HOF -- CAN'T WAIT. lol.

Just time for some new blood. I honestly felt we should've dealt him back when that cold ass bullpen we had was broken up. We could've got some good prospects for him back then. He might have a no-trade clause, but damn, I'm just tired of lookin at'em.

• Livefromclayco
    Options
    Chipper, smoltz, glavine,and maddux all stayed around too long. Chipper should have retired two years ago

I don't know what y'all ? see in the nats they will be at the bottom of the division like they always are
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    Chipper, smoltz, glavine,and maddux all stayed around too long. Chipper should have retired two years ago

I don't know what y'all ? see in the nats they will be at the bottom of the division like they always are

co-sign all dat.

Plus, he's not one of those vets that make his younger teammates better, IMO. I don't claim to know what's crackin in the locker room, but he don't strike me as a Ray Lewis/Cal Ripken type that's quick to help mold younger players.

We should've dealt him right around the time the Falcons chucked the deuces at Keith Brooking.