Why do they think Biggie is most technical than Tupac ?

Options
124»

Comments

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Biggie's rhymes weren't complex at all.

Pac's rhymes was???

This coming a guy who'll put Jeezy over B.I.G.

Sit down.

I said Jeezy has a better catalog than Biggie, which is truth.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U gotta also love how the Big dickriders probably heard no futher then Pacs comercial material.lol
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U gotta also love how the Big dickriders probably heard no futher then Pacs comercial material.lol

BIGGIE's fans only admit that pac's classic albums are MAGT, AEOM and makaveli which is true.because pac's stans always be telling that BIG' is wack because he only has two albums.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Biggie's rhymes weren't complex at all.

Pac's rhymes was???

This coming a guy who'll put Jeezy over B.I.G.

Sit down.

I said Jeezy has a better catalog than Biggie, which is truth.

B.I.G. single-handedly brought back NYC to prominence in the rap game.

Had 2 qualities albums over Jeezy's 4.

Try again.

• blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    killaguwop wrote: »

BIGGIE's fans only admit that pac's classic albums are MAGT, AEOM and makaveli which is true.because pac's stans always be telling that BIG' is wack because he only has two albums.

I hate when pac stans say "BIG only had 2 albums" when he only had a 5 year (basically 4 year since he got killed in early 97) career from 92-97... How many albums was he supposed to drop in that time span????? And the 2 albums he dropped are hands down classics......Dropped ready to die (top 3 album of all time) @ age 21 and Life after death (best double disc album of all time) @ age 24......
  • PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    Options
    Jeezy does have a better body of work than BIG
  • ohhhla
    Options
    @Killaguwop

Very good assessment on Pac Stans.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac was a polarizing dude and real talk depending how biased you are about the east coast you will take credit away form Pac

Honestly when that war popped off,while I liked Pac's music, I was more of a BIG fan

I didn't like All Eyes On Me and thought Pac was a trouble maker and a loud mouth

Then i really peeped that Pac was talking some real real ? and ? was really foul and he really had a reason to ride on them ? .Pause

• Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    ain't nobody ? with Pac...only Pac can do it like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lhz5in_jG4

i'm a pac fan and i cosign that. 2pacalypse was eh okay as an album a 5 at best.
    while strictly 4 my ? out side of 5 songs was trash

pac came to his own in 93' and on the thug life tape.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    2Pacalypse Now was a great album.

There is that content that people want out of rapper

And think 2Pacalypse Now is ok, smh.
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i was a little kid when biggie was around but a question for any old heads...
    wasnt biggie considered bubblegum rap back then, the way ja rule was 5 years later? compared to the other ? that was comin from the east coast at the time it sure seems that way.
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some people think flow>>>>>> anything else on a rap song. that the only reason why some say big is a better ? then pac which is not true.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackbloc wrote: »
    some people think flow>>>>>> anything else on a rap song. that the only reason why some say big is a better ? then pac which is not true.

Pac is actually the better ? .
    Big's the better rapper.
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    like B.I.G didn't have lyrics.
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SHAYDEEEE wrote: »
    i was a little kid when biggie was around but a question for any old heads...
    wasnt biggie considered bubblegum rap back then, the way ja rule was 5 years later? compared to the other ? that was comin from the east coast at the time it sure seems that way.

Didn't consider him bubble gum rap at all. .. cats didn't like how puffy was watering down ? with the 80's r&b music samples
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not sure why this was bumped, but hell, since I missed it the first time around, I'll jump in.

2Pac has an underrated skillset as an MC. Most of the examples given in here defending Pac point to internal rhymes. Apart from that, most everyone seems to just say he has better content where Biggie had punchlines, metaphors, and wordplay. But 'Pac wasn't just good at internal rhymes.

Someone mentioned alliteration, and I don't see any reason why to dismiss that as a powerful technical skill, especially when poets use it, which Pac was. Take "If I Die 2Nite" for example (one of the greatest rap songs of all time IMO).

They say pussy and paper is poetry power and pistols
    Plotting on murderin ? 'fore they get you
    Picturing pitiful punk ? copping pleas
    Puffing weed as I position myself to clock G's
    My enemies scatter in suicidal situations
    Never to witness the wicked ? that they was facin
    Pockets is packed with presidents, pursue your riches
    Evading the playa hating tricks, while hitting switches
    Bitches is bad-mouth, cause brawlin ? is bold
    But y'all some hoes, the game should be sewed
    The sickest psychotic society somebody save me
    Addicted to drama so even mama couldn't raise me

Not only is this a masterful use of alliteration (and internal rhyme), but 2Pac was one of the only MCs to really employ it so intricately in his raps. He's unique in that sense. And it's not just used arbitrarily, but informs the meaning and content in the verse. The way he plays on the ironies in the English language where nearly the same sounds and consonants strung together can communicate otherwise seemingly unconnected and even opposing concepts, such as poetry and power, or pistols and pleas, is crazy. This all while communicating substantive ideas and themes. It's simply brilliant.

Now, as to the claim that 2Pac wasn't proficient in wordplay, similes, metaphors, and punchlines, this is also false. He just didn't use them as often as Biggie (just as Biggie didn't use alliteration as often as 'Pac). They emphasize different skillsets, playing to their strengths as MCs. For instance, 'Pac holds his own on "My Mind Made Up" alongside punchline happy East Coast juggernauts: "So mandatory my elevation/My lyrics like (an) orientation/So you can be more familiar with the ? you facing").

Also, let's not forget: 2Pac was a fierce battle rapper, and we all know his deadliest, most lethal bars at his enemies never appeared on Hit 'Em Up. It's ironic that the 2Pac / Nas beef was based on a misunderstanding they ultimately resolved, because 'Pac had his wittiest punchlines and most venomous lines directed at Nas, effectively deconstructing his whole style in but a few lines:

"Lord listen to me
    ? don't like ugly, +It Was Written+,
    Ayo Nas, your whole damn style is bitten (You sound like Rakim man)
    You heard +My Melody+ (double entendre), read about my life in the papers
    All my run-ins with authorities, felonious capers
    Now you wanna live my life, so what's a Hausa Nas?
    ? that don't rhyme right, you've seen too many movies" (these last two lines are a Scarface reference)

I don't know how you can break down some of these verses and argue that 2Pac wasn't a skilled technical MC in the traditional sense of punchlines and metaphors when he wanted to be. It's just that most of the time he focused more on content, experimenting with song structure, and other technical elements drawn from literary traditions such as alliteration, allusions, and symbolism. Just because punchlines blew up on the East Coast in the early 90s, that doesn't mean that's the only way to be a technical MC, nor that 'Pac wasn't more than capable of it when he wanted to be.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac is a Poet, Pac write his rhymes as a Poet, if you can't hear the poetry in his rhymes then you don't know about about poetry.

Pac gave y'all ? an album with wordplay when he dropped Makaveli to shut y'all ? but it was still in a poetry form
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »
    Not sure why this was bumped, but hell, since I missed it the first time around, I'll jump in.

2Pac has an underrated skillset as an MC. Most of the examples given in here defending Pac point to internal rhymes. Apart from that, most everyone seems to just say he has better content where Biggie had punchlines, metaphors, and wordplay. But 'Pac wasn't just good at internal rhymes.

Someone mentioned alliteration, and I don't see any reason why to dismiss that as a powerful technical skill, especially when poets use it, which Pac was. Take "If I Die 2Nite" for example (one of the greatest rap songs of all time IMO).

They say pussy and paper is poetry power and pistols
    Plotting on murderin ? 'fore they get you
    Picturing pitiful punk ? copping pleas
    Puffing weed as I position myself to clock G's
    My enemies scatter in suicidal situations
    Never to witness the wicked ? that they was facin
    Pockets is packed with presidents, pursue your riches
    Evading the playa hating tricks, while hitting switches
    Bitches is bad-mouth, cause brawlin ? is bold
    But y'all some hoes, the game should be sewed
    The sickest psychotic society somebody save me
    Addicted to drama so even mama couldn't raise me

Not only is this a masterful use of alliteration (and internal rhyme), but 2Pac was one of the only MCs to really employ it so intricately in his raps. He's unique in that sense. And it's not just used arbitrarily, but informs the meaning and content in the verse. The way he plays on the ironies in the English language where nearly the same sounds and consonants strung together can communicate otherwise seemingly unconnected and even opposing concepts, such as poetry and power, or pistols and pleas, is crazy. This all while communicating substantive ideas and themes. It's simply brilliant.

Now, as to the claim that 2Pac wasn't proficient in wordplay, similes, metaphors, and punchlines, this is also false. He just didn't use them as often as Biggie (just as Biggie didn't use alliteration as often as 'Pac). They emphasize different skillsets, playing to their strengths as MCs. For instance, 'Pac holds his own on "My Mind Made Up" alongside punchline happy East Coast juggernauts: "So mandatory my elevation/My lyrics like (an) orientation/So you can be more familiar with the ? you facing").

Also, let's not forget: 2Pac was a fierce battle rapper, and we all know his deadliest, most lethal bars at his enemies never appeared on Hit 'Em Up. It's ironic that the 2Pac / Nas beef was based on a misunderstanding they ultimately resolved, because 'Pac had his wittiest punchlines and most venomous lines directed at Nas, effectively deconstructing his whole style in but a few lines:

"Lord listen to me
    ? don't like ugly, +It Was Written+,
    Ayo Nas, your whole damn style is bitten (You sound like Rakim man)
    You heard +My Melody+ (double entendre), read about my life in the papers
    All my run-ins with authorities, felonious capers
    Now you wanna live my life, so what's a Hausa Nas?
    ? that don't rhyme right, you've seen too many movies" (these last two lines are a Scarface reference)

I don't know how you can break down some of these verses and argue that 2Pac wasn't a skilled technical MC in the traditional sense of punchlines and metaphors when he wanted to be. It's just that most of the time he focused more on content, experimenting with song structure, and other technical elements drawn from literary traditions such as alliteration, allusions, and symbolism. Just because punchlines blew up on the East Coast in the early 90s, that doesn't mean that's the only way to be a technical MC, nor that 'Pac wasn't more than capable of it when he wanted to be.

Nuff Said.