The Official Prometheus Thread (Release date - June 8, 2012)

Options

Comments

• rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    220px-Aliens_poster.jpg

GRADE (A) OK, Next I watched the sequel to the masterpiece "Alien". But because it was years later and Ridley was working on a different movie, they went with James Cameron. Hot off his successful film "Terminator", James was questioned every step of the way but he ended up not only honoring Ridley's original but making a sequel as quality as the original. He took away the suspense and made it an all out action film. I watched the Director's Cut Special edition and it was even better than the theater cut I've watched all the years. There's more aliens and more action but Ripley is even harder. But the movie was amazing, Ripley's struggle is there, she only went back cause she had nothing to lose. Amazing Classic.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Oh ... and this film >>> AVATAR + INCEPTION by far
    that's a bold ass statement. looking forward to this even more now.
  • Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Visually amazing
    Still not sold on the plot though. Oh, and ? just going to randomly take off their helmets any and every chance possible on a foreign planet? Yall know better!
  • rapmastermind
    edited June 2012
    Options
    alien_three_ver3.jpg

GRADE (B- ) After watching back to back Classics with "Alien and Aliens" I had to finish off the trilogy with "Alien 3". Yes I know a lot of people hated it when it was released 20 years ago but you know what, the movie actually has aged very well. The only reason it gets hate is cause the 1st two are Classic. David Fincher in his directorial debut did an amazing job making you fear the Alien again the same way Ridley did in the original. Having no weapons this time was also a smart plot point. Yes it sucked Newt and Hicks died but as mad as I was back then when I first saw it, them being dead made Ripley more vulnerable. The Alien in Ripley was genius and gave the movie so much suspense. Charles "The Roc" Dutton was great in this. I suggest people watch the Director's cut, it's really good. But Her falling in the fire as the alien comes out is one of the best scene's in the series and a great ending.

ripley1.jpg
  • rapmastermind
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Alien: Resurrection and Both Alien Vs Predator films get D, D, F grades from me, they were terrible. I watched all 3 1 time and never watched them again. So that's my Alien Marathon, Watching "Prometheus" on Friday, can't wait.

gorgeous-new-prometheus-poster-online-now-103157-470-75.jpg
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    alien_three_ver3.jpg

GRADE (B- ) After watching back to back Classics with "Alien and Aliens" I had to finish off the trilogy with "Alien 3". Yes I know a lot of people hated it when it was released 20 years ago but you know what, the movie actually has aged very well. The only reason it gets hate is cause the 1st two are Classic. David Fincher in his directorial debut did an amazing job making you fear the Alien again the same way Ridley did in the original. Having no weapons this time was also a smart plot point. Yes it sucked Newt and Hicks died but as mad as I was back then when I first saw it, them being dead made Ripley more vulnerable. The Alien in Ripley was genius and gave the movie so much suspense. Charles "The Roc" Dutton was great in this. I suggest people watch the Director's cut, it's really good. But Her falling in the fire as the alien comes out is one of the best scene's in the series and a great ending.

ripley1.jpg

Yes one of my fav actors Charles Dutton acted his ass off in this
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gonna check this ? out on friday
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In aliens 3 they only killed newt because the original actress would return for the role so they went with ripley(sigourney again)
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Visually amazing
    Still not sold on the plot though. Oh, and ? just going to randomly take off their helmets any and every chance possible on a foreign planet? Yall know better!

Correct, the visuals in this movie is amazing.
    You see a foreign alien and you are gonna try and touch it? really?

You just had surgery and your stomach opened up and then you walking around like its a sunday afternoon?

Not to mention some of the characters really had no purpose in being there.

The only good thing about this movie was that white alien dude ? slapping that robot for speaking his language, And also the alien fusion at the end. That was cool especially as an alien fan.

I think this would have been an okay movie if it wasnt attached to the alien franchise. But it just seemed like you kept waiting for something to pop off and it never did.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Im so hype. I feel like a child again I will let you guys know how it turned out.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you think it going to be any good? They made the girl with the dragon tattoo look like the movie of the century. Bought that ? and was highly ? at that ? .
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im hearing mixed reviews. I think ppl are too critical nowadays when it comes to movies. Dragon tattoo was okay to me.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The atmosphere just wasnt reminiscent of a Scott film, the plot had some pitfalls and the ending was bad IMO

B- film but not because of Ridley though, he created a rep that was hard to live up too.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just found out this was a aliens prequel
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just caught the midnight showing. I liked it.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just came back from catching the midnite showing. I liked it. I'll wait til y'all see to comment.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    who is that in your sig.
    I'm eatin that ass.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone know what's up with the Weyland Industries then it has a date 10/11/12 at the end of the credits
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    Anyone know what's up with the Weyland Industries then it has a date 10/11/12 at the end of the credits

it has to do with the viral videos they have on youtube.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »

it has to do with the viral videos they have on youtube.

Idk why but the first thing that popped in my head when I saw that was they secretly shot another movie and that was the release date
  • rapmastermind
    edited June 2012
    Options
    prometheus-trailer.jpg

GRADE (B +) Well It's offical. It was the prequel from the original "Alien" as it answered a lot of questions from the original movie while adding new ones. I thought it was very good, If you are expecting a lot of action this isn't the movie. It's more of a sci-fi Thriller. Again I suggest everyone watching the original "Alien" film before seeing this as it's clear again this is a direct prequel in story to that one. It's hard to a do a review without spoliers so I'll put it in tags overall if you are a fan of the Alien Series and Sci-fi you will enjoy it.

• rapmastermind
    edited June 2012
    Options
    ridley-scott-prometheus-space-jockeys.jpg

(SPOILERS DO NO READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)
    Basically the movie shows us where the original space jockey's from the first Alien film came from and the Weyland Corp that sent Ripley to LV426. They are basically the ones who started our human DNA from millions of years ago. After creating us though they made plans to destroy us by creating an alien weapon that would use our bodies as host and take over the planet. Before they could go to Earth one of aliens took out most of the space jockey's but 1 survivor. This new team stops the Space Jockey from going to earth by destroying the ship.

David 8 and the new Ripley (Naomi Rice) are the only survivors and they take another space jockey's ship on a course not to earth but the space jockey's original planet leaving room for a sequel. So the movie again answers who the dead space jockey was from the original Alien and where did those aliens come from. The crashed shiped in Prometheus is the same one in the orignal Alien film. They really did tie it all together.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Options
    prometheus-trailer.jpg

GRADE (B +) Well It's offical. It was the prequel from the original "Alien" as it answered a lot of questions from the original movie while adding new ones. I thought it was very good, If you are expecting a lot of action this isn't the movie. It's more of a sci-fi Thriller. Again I suggest everyone watching the original "Alien" film before seeing this as it's clear again this is a direct prequel in story to that one. It's hard to a do a review without spoliers so I'll put it in tags overall if you are a fan of the Alien Series and Sci-fi you will enjoy it.

Went to the midnight show last night and I agree, this isn't an all out action flick so it'd be wise to temper any expectations along those lines. However it is a visual feast. Just a flat out beautiful film man. As a big fan of the Alien series (the first two being two of my all time favorites) I thoroughly enjoyed this joint. A lot of nuggets and no doubt is left remaining as to whether this is a prequel or not after viewing it. All kinds of room for a sequel as well, which I'll be rooting for.
  • Still Cool Beans
    Still Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ridley-scott-prometheus-space-jockeys.jpg

(SPOILERS DO NO READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)
    Basically the movie shows us where the original space jockey's from the first Alien film came from and the Weyland Corp that sent Ripley to LV426. They are basically the ones who started our human DNA from millions of years ago. After creating us though they made plans to destroy us by creating an alien weapon that would use our bodies as host and take over the planet. Before they could go to Earth one of aliens took out most of the space jockey's but 1 survivor. This new team stops the Space Jockey from going to earth by destroying the ship.

David 8 and the new Ripley (Naomi Rice) are the only survivors and they take another space jockey's ship on a course not to earth but the space jockey's original planet leaving room for a sequel. So the movie again answers who the dead space jockey was from the original Alien and where did those aliens come from. The crashed shiped in Prometheus is the same one in the orignal Alien film. They really did tie it all together.
    In regards to the space jockeys and their creation of us, I think it's thousands not millions of years though. Also, are we sure the crashed ship in Prometheus is the same one from Alien. The shipped from Alien, if I remember correctly, was still in tact, no signs of a crash. Also, Ripley and crew were brought there (or rather sent) because of a distress signal, which of course later turned out to be a warning signal. It could be that the ship Ripley and crew found was the ship Noomi's character and David 8 are taking to the space jockey's original planet.

Weyland Corp...? ? over since 2093 lol
  • rapmastermind
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @Still Cool Beans
    Your right, Cause they were on LV-223 and in Alien it was LV-426, I think this is the start of a new trilogy and the 3rd film like Revenge of the Sith did with A New Hope will tie right into Alien. Yo the more I think about it, the more doper the film gets in my mind. It was mad deep. Also the ending shows that that aliens in the other films came from a mixture of Human DNA and the Engineers DNA, it's crazy. So though this isn't a Direct prequel to Alien, it's still a prequel but there is more story to be told. Ridley outdid himself with this one. I think your right though, the ship in Alien may end up being Noomi's and David ship but they have to show it in a sequel