Are there any emcees that are top 20 artist of all time?

Options

Comments

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant find any. Like I said high vocals go to Bey

figure goes to Bey... Aaliyah was prettier though

and Bey is not seeing Mariah or Whitney in voclas
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    Ms. Sweeetface Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Milk
    The Roots
    Outkast
    Common
    Mos Def
    Company flow
    Q-tip

Only Kast and maybe Common can be considered...need mainstream recognition

Mainstream as of what? Waka?

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Milk
    The Roots
    Outkast
    Common
    Mos Def
    Company flow
    Q-tip

Sales and whatnot
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    Options
    Black Milk
    The Roots
    Outkast
    Common
    Mos Def
    Company flow
    Q-tip

Sales and whatnot

No.
    I don't listen to musicians just for trends and sell numbers, listen and check for the quality of their music.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Musicians? No, Artists? Yes!
    There's a difference, not many rappers play instruments and even if you count the voice as an instrument not many rappers qualify in that regard.

But if you are talking ART then there's quite a few rappers. Considering rappers (well the majority of them) write their own material and choose the beats they work on and structure their own albums (for the most part) and choose their own content (to an extent) then rappers should be included in ANY top ARTISTS list.

I'm fine with them not being musicians, not many singers are musicians either...nor do they write their own material.
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Shouts to timbalands production for makin that ? blow up

and I dont get into record sales I dont give a fucc how much either sold

Beyonce is better lookin,more talented,can actually sing,can act,has better albums,could dance better than aaliyah.Beyonce>>>>>aaliyah it aint even close

Stop puttin people on pedestals just cuz they die

If you didn't know, Beyonce was influenced by Aaliyah (other artist like Tina Turner and Janet) before she became who she is today. Without having any influence of the artist before...she wouldn't be as hot she is today. Beyonce is a great performer, but when it comes to her singing, you have artist like Ledisi, Fantasia, and Jennifer Hudson that can out sing her,period.

• And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Milk
    The Roots
    Outkast
    Common
    Mos Def
    Company flow
    Q-tip

Sales and whatnot

Outkast have sales numbers tho
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As much as I love Aaliyah she shouldn't be anywhere near a "best" list and neither should Beyonce'. Neither match up to the greats in their field. When it comes to singing both Aaliyah & Beyonce required a lot of help.

They aint got ? on Mary J, Anita, Whitney, Mariah, Jill Scott and a few others. Those chicks could out sing either A or B easily. If you think Beyonce or Aaliyah could blow acapella the same way one of the ladies I mentioned could you need help.
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    edited July 2012
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Musicians? No, Artists? Yes!
    There's a difference, not many rappers play instruments and even if you count the voice as an instrument not many rappers qualify in that regard.

But if you are talking ART then there's quite a few rappers. Considering rappers (well the majority of them) write their own material and choose the beats they work on and structure their own albums (for the most part) and choose their own content (to an extent) then rappers should be included in ANY top ARTISTS list.

I'm fine with them not being musicians, not many singers are musicians either...nor do they write their own material.

Artist and Musicians like The Roots who illustrates their own structure which is seriously rare!

• CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Black Milk
    The Roots
    Outkast
    Common
    Mos Def
    Company flow
    Q-tip

Sales and whatnot

Outkast have sales numbers tho

Yeah I said...'Only Kast and maybe Common can be considered'
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I had to go with 3000 & Cee-Lo great rappers play instruments, produce, write well also. Dr.Dre produce/arrange music
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    I think 3000 had/has potential to be among the top 20 or so...but his work ethic over the past decade has been ? ' poor...if he'd put out 3/4 albums of quality (which he should be capable of) he could easily have been considered...
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shouts to timbalands production for makin that ? blow up

and I dont get into record sales I dont give a fucc how much either sold

Beyonce is better lookin,more talented,can actually sing,can act,has better albums,could dance better than aaliyah.Beyonce>>>>>aaliyah it aint even close

Stop puttin people on pedestals just cuz they die

If you didn't know, Beyonce was influenced by Aaliyah (other artist like Tina Turner and Janet) before she became who she is today. Without having any influence of the artist before...she wouldn't be as hot she is today. Beyonce is a great performer, but when it comes to her singing, you have artist like Ledisi, Fantasia, and Jennifer Hudson that can out sing her,period.

Cool story

Beyonce is still more talented,has a better catalog and career than aaliyah ever did

• And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think One Mic, Juciy, T.R.O.Y could stand as some of the greatest songs ever written,.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mos Def/Yasiin Bey
    Lauryn Hill
    Nas
    Common

... those are the only ones who are candidates IMO.

damn good call on Lauryn Hill
  • Focal Point
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Oh....

Aaliyah woudlve have been on Beyonce status if she made it home that day.

She had the album in place, her movies where about to come out she was ready to blow..no doubt

No other female artist at the time was singing and dancing other than Janet. And in 04 Cirara came with it.

Aaliyah influenced alot of r&b singers especially Beyonce...A LOT. If you wanna mention Bey dont forget Aaliyah

so you're putting her in based on potential?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Until more rappers themselves take pride in knowing music and how to write/compose it, then no you won't see a rapper listed among one of these...hell even alot of rap producers don't know how to actually play instruments...it even took Dre years after he blew up to even learn how to play the damn keyboad.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Ahh but Lauryn...does she have enough material to be a top 20?...look at the work those guys put in...over decades and decades...
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    FACT beyonce was a bigger artist in 2001 than aaliyah was

Destiny child>>>>Aaliyah

this is laughable you just dickridin that hoe cuz she died

FOH... Then why the ? Beyonce interviewing Aaliyah than if she was bigger than her in 01?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgnwZtEwA9A

u sick af...been listening to Aaliyah before she died.

Aaliyah sold more records than Beyonce when she was alive

Beyonce also hadn't had a solo album out yet so of course Aaliyah sold more records than her...and this is coming from an admitted Aaliyah stan but even then Aaliyah was bigger than Beyonce. Aaliyah was just on the verge of coming back onto the scene with the movies and new music after taking a little break.
  • Focal Point
    Options
    If you could put a group in the list then definitely Outkast. If it had to be a solo artist then no.

OutKast is good choice to add in there or at the very least be close to
  • Focal Point
    Options
    Black Milk
    The Roots
    Outkast
    Common
    Mos Def
    Company flow
    Q-tip

Like I had posted on the first page the Roots would fit, and they have mainstream recognition, Q-Tip maybe from his Tribe Called Quest days, Mighty Mos got potential
  • Focal Point
    Options
    Ahh but Lauryn...does she have enough material to be a top 20?...look at the work those guys put in...over decades and decades...

a very good point
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kno' we're all hip-hop aficionados here...But we, like metal heads...need to accept that our genre just is does not produce musicians the calibre of the Beatles...Or Prince...Or Jimi...[/quote

He didn't say musicians, he said artists and as far as I'm concerned MCing is an art form.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited July 2012
    Options
    He didn't say musicians, he said artists and as far as I'm concerned MCing is an art form

It is...of course it is...Its poetry...but the all time greats not only had great lyrics, they were visionaries...they redefined sounds...influenced music as a whole..not just other ? in their genres...they wrote...they produced...they played instruments...

a lil look at one of the GOATs...Prince...really, is anyone from rap touchin' him in terms of greatness?...or the Beatles...or Bob Marley...Jimi Hendrix...Miles Davis...IMO...no...there are a few that could be considered...like I said, maybe Jay...Cube...Lauryn and 3000 if they had more material...and maybe Common...but them five aren't touchin' the likes of the aforementioned...
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    Oh....

Aaliyah woudlve have been on Beyonce status if she made it home that day.

She had the album in place, her movies where about to come out she was ready to blow..no doubt

No other female artist at the time was singing and dancing other than Janet. And in 04 Cirara came with it.

Aaliyah influenced alot of r&b singers especially Beyonce...A LOT. If you wanna mention Bey dont forget Aaliyah

so you're putting her in based on potential?

Not just what she would have been if she didnt pass. But based on what she left us with