Are there any emcees that are top 20 artist of all time?

Options

Comments

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    c1up wrote: »
    Oh....

Aaliyah woudlve have been on Beyonce status if she made it home that day.

She had the album in place, her movies where about to come out she was ready to blow..no doubt

No other female artist at the time was singing and dancing other than Janet. And in 04 Cirara came with it.

Aaliyah influenced alot of r&b singers especially Beyonce...A LOT. If you wanna mention Bey dont forget Aaliyah

so you're putting her in based on potential?

Not just what she would have been if she didnt pass. But based on what she left us with

but in comparison and over Aretha Franklin, Celine Dion, etc.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh....

She had the album in place, her movies where about to come out she was ready to blow..no doubt

No other female artist at the time was singing and dancing other than Janet. And in 04 Cirara came with it.

Aaliyah influenced alot of r&b singers especially Beyonce...A LOT. If you wanna mention Bey dont forget Aaliyah

Not just what she would have been if she didnt pass. But based on what she left us with

I wouldnt compare Aaliyah to Aretha or Celine way different situation

• Focal Point
    Options
    Oh....

I wouldnt compare Aaliyah to Aretha or Celine way different situation

but this is for Top 20 Artist of all time, you're taking Aaliyah over Aretha or Celine or Ella Fitzgerald or Dolly P or Nina Simone
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I think yall are underrating talent and overrating others... Just cause they sang/played instruments better doesnt mean the poetry/expression wasnt equal in the many different eras of music.

Music cannot be broken down as yall are trying to do, because it is a tool of individuals, so everyone will naturally have a different top 20.

While its good to see peoples opinions, these kinds of questions create senseless bicker of emotional fans trying to get everyone to conform to their taste.

I personally find several Aaliyah songs just as memorable as Patti or Aretha songs even though the performance may not be technically as sound. You cant take away from the fact that we still talk about and hear her music.

Art is about expression and as far as im concerned rappers like Tupac had me more convinced than alot of artist regardless of genre. His whole life was his art, hip hop in itself is a whole art form. Its ? to act as if theres some red carpet onto this "list".

Its not about how many instruments you can play, songs you can produce or hits you can make, its what people who listen feel.

Quincy Jones aint no ? artist
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In due time I would say that as far as crafting music, Dilla and Madlib would be eligible for inclusion. Obviously due to their popularity (lack thereof) they would be unlikely to be considered. Some would argue Dr. Dre i'm sure, although I wouldn't due to how much he relied on others throughout his career. I think if we're going for a clearcut pick it'd have to be Jay-Z/Nas/Pac. A lot of folks would put Em up there too but I think that's ? ridiculous. Dude crafted his style off too many other cats and failed to really expand upon like Nas did with Rakim. Just my 2 cents.
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shouts to timbalands production for makin that ? blow up

and I dont get into record sales I dont give a fucc how much either sold

Beyonce is better lookin,more talented,can actually sing,can act,has better albums,could dance better than aaliyah.Beyonce>>>>>aaliyah it aint even close

Stop puttin people on pedestals just cuz they die

I can't hate on Menace's opinion, but real talk, this. If you got together a consortium of who's who in music 10 years from now (hell even now), Bey is taking it over Aaliyah no doubt. She alrdy has so many clones its insane and that will only continue. Most aspiring singers these days have vague, if any, memory of who Aaliyah is. Here career pretty much lived or died based on her association with Timbo. Bey garnered success from DC and beyond.

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac,Em,Jay,Wayne,Snoop,kanye,LL,Wu Tang,Dr. Dre
  • Focal Point
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

damn that's pretty interesting, you're saying ten of the top 20 artist of all time would be rappers
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i like how yall dont have no latin artists in your lists. how sheltered are your musical tastes? like carlos santana isn't a top 20 artist of all time. what about celia cruz? maybe manu chao, marc anthony? ? .
  • loch121
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

damn that's pretty interesting, you're saying ten of the top 20 artist of all time would be rappers

I'm saying they all have the potential to be on that list.Eminem would make that list for sure and Pac
  • loch121
    edited August 2012
    Options
    2 pac was voted the 86th Greatest Rock 'n Roll Artist of all time by Rolling Stone.

In a 2005 Rolling Stones Magazine Vote, Tupac was named #6 of the '100 immortal artists of all time' behind the likes of Elvis and Lennon
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _menace_ = Drake??
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a great thread with slot of good points/opinions. I just wanna ask tho, what would be your definition of a artist and what makes a good artist?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    reason why hip hop artists have a hard time being top 20 is because hip hop in itself doesn't respect longevity, instead it downplays it. If Rakim, who was an innovator and maybe the greatest lyricist of all time, was to drop an album today 95% of hip hop fans would say, "why that old ass ? still rapping he should quit" In other genres longevity is an accomplishment, while in hip hop you hear "damn jay z is 45 he got nothing else to do but rap?" because of that we don't let our artists develop and mature for the most part and so we can't claim anyone in the top 20 musician list.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I think there could be some rappers in a top 20 all time list. Musically, most of those all time list should be black artist. Overrated acts like Elvis and The Beattles from a musical standpoint have no replay value today and live strictly off popularity from their time. As where artist like Prince, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, etc produced quality music that stood the test of time
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Beatles..Overrated?
  • _Menace_
    Options
    _menace_ = Drake??

LMAO

Naw Aaliyah is a top 20 singer for me
    That list was basically my 20 favorite musicians I know she's not top 20'of all time
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why would a ? have all those white-people in his top 20 artist of all-time? Our music is better then theirs...You giving the props why? So you gonna act like we don't live in a white dominating society...is that why you giving them some much praise? Don't get me wrong music is universal but I my just can't see us giving them alot of praise if we had our on control.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hip hop as a genre has produced some of the most creative and socially conscious lyrics of our time...
    Pac, Big, Nas, and Jay belong in this discussion from a lyrical standpoint...
  • _Menace_
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Why would a ? have all those white-people in his top 20 artist of all-time? Our music is better then theirs...You giving the props why? So you gonna act like we don't live in a white dominating society...is that why you giving them some much praise? Don't get me wrong music is universal but I my just can't see us giving them alot of praise if we had our on control.

Who's list are you talking about? this was mines on the first page

15 blacks out of 20

Frank Sinatra
    Tupac
    Nas
    Mariah Carey
    Bob Marley
    Marvin Gaye
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Beatles
    Whitney Houston
    Micheal Jackson
    James Brown
    Bruce Springsteen
    Elvis
    Rick James
    The Temptations
    Al Green
    Aaliyah (YES AALIYAH)
    Madonna
    Stevie Wonder
    Prince
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "hip hop" heads are the weakest of any genre... they are actually scared to defend their genre... hip hop will never get its due because of the yellow bellied ? who profess to love it...
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @_menace_ lol at frank ? Sinatra...no way dude.

No way on Aaliyah either fam

Bruce Springsteen no way.

James brown is dope but no way.

No way on Madonna

No way on rick James.

All talented! But top 20 no. The rest of your list is solid add billy joel, Elton john, em, Nas, jay, outkast, incubus, led Zeppelin, Curtis mayfield and paramore. You got a great list.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only contenders are 2Pac, Jay-Z, and Lauryn Hill. Nas, not quite.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only contenders are 2Pac, Jay-Z, and Lauryn Hill. Nas, not quite.

One album Lauryn Hill?...No way on Pac...Yeah he has a message (sometimes)...but if you're gonna include a rapper in a top 20 of all time, he needs to be a premier lyricist...Pac is not that...Like I said earlier...One of the followin'...

Ice Cube...Nas...Jay-Z...Common...Andre 3K