Is this the future of America? City of Scranton lowers wage for all city workers to minimum wage

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Grahf wrote: »
    heyslick wrote: »

Just keep on over taxing the job creators,then watch and see where all the jobs go. Even now many business owners are Leary/reluctant to hire because of the pending tax increases and the uncertainty in general about all the new policies coming down the pike.

This is very slightly reminiscent of what happened to Japan at the tail end of high-flying 90's. They had the 2nd largest economy in the world for being such a small nation largely devoid of natural resources. The trifecta of tech, banking, and real estate bubbles crashed hard (sound familiar?). What did the Japanese govt do? Like what the US would do: increase govt transfers (medicaid, unemployment ben, cut taxes for middle/increase for wealthy) and accrue debt. They thought giving a little extra disposable income each pay cycle would lift them up from their recession. In addition to that, Japan began probably the largest public works projects in the last 1,000 years, spending $1.4 trillion to pave its way back to prosperity to prop up aggregate demand. High public sector debt has made that country go limbo for the last two decades with nonexistent growth. Even exhausting all their fiscal options, their govt used monetary policy to drive down their interest rates, all the way down to zero bound status. Didn't work.

Look, we are NEVER going to get some of our manufacturing jobs back. You want to thrive in the global economy, you better not major in some ? like history or multidisciplinary studies. The little startups that form in Harvard and Stanford dorms, Houston, Santa Clara County, some kid's basement somewhere: those are the ones that gonna drive this knowledge economy. They get bankrolled by other tech billionaire titans (Andreeson, etc). We will still need infrastructure like roads being built, but the companies of the future aren't going to be dreamt up by some kid who wants to work at a latex or textile factory when he grows up. Up your math skills up if you want to compete. ? yourself if you over 30 and can't at least do Precalc. My 16-year-old cousin is taking that ? now. Let me post that incomplete number of billionaires who were computer science or engineering majors.

...Bill Gates - studied computer science at Harvard (going to Harvard equivalent to graduating any state school) ....worth $59 billion
    Sergey Brin - B.S. computer science at University of Maryland..Stanford PHD candidate...started Google...worth $16.7 billion
    Larry Page - B.S. computer engineering University of Michigan...Stanford PHD candidate...started Google...worth $16.7 billion
    Carlos Slim - world's richest man...studied engineering at National Autonomous University of Mexico...worth $63.3 billion
    Larry Ellison - Studied computer engineering and design...founded Oracle...worth $33 billion
    Charles Koch - B.S. engineering....Masters in mech engineering at MIT...worth $25 billion
    David Koch - B.S. and Masters in chemical engineering at MIT....worth $22.5 billion
    Jerry Yang - B.S. Standford in engineering...founded Yahoo!...worth $1.3 billion
    Pierre Omidyar - B.S. computer science at Tufts....founded Ebay...worth $6.2 billion
    Eric Schmidt - B.S. electrical engineer at Princeton University...worth $6.3 bilion
    Michael Bloomberg - B.S. electrical engineering at Johns Hopkins worth $19.5 billion
    Jeff Bezos - B.S. computer science....founded Amazon...worth $18.1 billion
    Mark Zuckerberg - studied computer science at Harvard...founded Facebook....worth $17.5 billion
    Paul Allen - studied computer engineering at Harvard....worth $13.2 billion
    got some more...
    Bernard Arnault - Europe's richest ? ...B.S. engineering at Ecole Polytechnique....worth $41 billion
    Eike Batiista - studied metallurgical engineering at University of Aachen...worth $30 billion
    Alexei Mordashov - studied engineering at Leningrad Engineering-Economical Institute...worth $18.5 billion
    Mukesh Ambani - B.S. chemical engineering at Institute of Chemical Technology...worth $ 27 billion
    Stefan Persson - MSc metal engineering at Siberian Metallurgic Institute....worth $24 billion
    Vagit Alekperov - B.S. engineering at Azerbaijan State Oil Academy...worth $13.9 billion
    Viktor Vekselberg - B.S. engineering at Moscow Transportation Engineering Institute...worth $13 billion
    Azim Premji - Engineering at Stanford....worth $16.8 billion

Science and math are definitely the way to go these days. But let's keep it real, most people will never be able to go into these fields. It's not something most people have interest in, but our schools have to find a way to make it more fun and accessible to kids, since many kids these days really don't want to learn and would rather learn their favorite Lil Wayne song than study after school to get better in math and chemistry. But even for kids who do wana learn, math and science aren't for everyone, so we need a more accomodating economy where everyone can benefit and contribute too.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That is some fascist ? . Lowering wages like that while still paying high ass food, electricity, and mortgage?
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    That is some fascist ? . Lowering wages like that while still paying high ass food, electricity, and mortgage?

This is going on all over the country, in the private sector and the public sector. I worry deeply for America's future. Most older people I know tell me this country is ? , I used to argue with them 5 years ago that it wasn't. Now, all I can do is shake my head and hope their wrong.......the best days of America are for sure behind us, the cost of living is going up and wages are not even close to catching up for the avg person. If city workers are getting drastic pay cuts, I hate to see what the private sector is planning in the next few months. Unemployment claims are up sharply today too, so I don't know what America's future holds at this point. I'm not apathetic at this point, just very disappointed with the leadership in today's govt.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Anyone here work in state govt? Are you guys doing the jobs of 3-5 people like the case workers I know?
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options

This is going on all over the country, in the private sector and the public sector. I worry deeply for America's future. Most older people I know tell me this country is ? , I used to argue with them 5 years ago that it wasn't. Now, all I can do is shake my head and hope their wrong.......the best days of America are for sure behind us, the cost of living is going up and wages are not even close to catching up for the avg person. If city workers are getting drastic pay cuts, I hate to see what the private sector is planning in the next few months. Unemployment claims are up sharply today too, so I don't know what America's future holds at this point. I'm not apathetic at this point, just very disappointed with the leadership in today's govt.

Yet so many refuse to believe this administration's policies has anything to do with that situation -- so many wanna believe that once his policies do kick-in things will improve - NO they won't. This President hasn't instilled hope or change,what he has done is instilled fear and skepticism,ALSO he has insulted those who may have thoughts of starting their own business. So now people have to rely on the government to take care of them & only the government can do that - so much for free enterprise in this once great country. THANKS mister egotistical maniac U have transformed America alright - btw for the worse.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yes I'm aware that revenue from raising taxes on the rich won't be a whole lot, but I believe it is still in the tens of billions of dollars.
    yes, it is not NOTHING. i am not arguing it shouldn't be done because it's so unfair, just stating one way this argument goes. however, i AM arguing it's a sop to make political hay while not actually doing much. i will settle for "we can raise these taxes if we don't pretend it's a real accomplishment."
    My basic point is, raising taxes on the rich isn't a bad idea, and as the 90s and 50s prove, does not necessarily create a bad economy.
    however, off the top of my head, this is misleading because the 1990s didn't have a good economy because of whether or not the taxes were raised on the rich.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Yet so many refuse to believe this administration's policies has anything to do with that situation -- so many wanna believe that once his policies do kick-in things will improve - NO they won't. This President hasn't instilled hope or change,what he has done is instilled fear and skepticism,ALSO he has insulted those who may have thoughts of starting their own business. So now people have to rely on the government to take care of them & only the government can do that - so much for free enterprise in this once great country. THANKS mister egotistical maniac U have transformed America alright - btw for the worse.

Obama has been very business friendly for the most part, did you know corporations under Obama have made more money than even under the Bush years?? Come on man do some research, the rich are doing just fine in this economy. Their cutting back, just as they did back in the last Bush years, but that's not cuz of Obama, it's cuz of GREED. I work for a lawfirm that is all about greed, it rakes in hundreds of thousands a month a guess what? Me and every other employee there are doing the work of 5 people. It's sickening seeing how common this is nationwide, but again, greed is the American way these days.

If you're gonna blame Obama for the bad economy, I don't blame you, Obama hasn't had many good ideas so far. That's why Romney is gaining momentum lately, and even beating Obama in some polls now. But in all seriousness, what are YOUR ideas to better the economy? You love to criticize but what is your idea??!!!!!

You will likely say Obama should lower taxes on the rich but Bush did that and the economy still hit a bad recession.........
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware that revenue from raising taxes on the rich won't be a whole lot, but I believe it is still in the tens of billions of dollars.
    yes, it is not NOTHING. i am not arguing it shouldn't be done because it's so unfair, just stating one way this argument goes. however, i AM arguing it's a sop to make political hay while not actually doing much. i will settle for "we can raise these taxes if we don't pretend it's a real accomplishment."
    My basic point is, raising taxes on the rich isn't a bad idea, and as the 90s and 50s prove, does not necessarily create a bad economy.
    however, off the top of my head, this is misleading because the 1990s didn't have a good economy because of whether or not the taxes were raised on the rich.

Raising taxes on the rich is good, and here's a link that shows why.......BLAHHHH I'm hungry and I gota eat, I'll post up the link soon
  • janklow
    Options
    Raising taxes on the rich is good, and here's a link that shows why.......BLAHHHH I'm hungry and I gota eat, I'll post up the link soon
    worst post of 2012

• heyslick
    Options

Obama has been very business friendly for the most part, did you know corporations under Obama have made more money than even under the Bush years?? Come on man do some research, the rich are doing just fine in this economy. Their cutting back, just as they did back in the last Bush years, but that's not cuz of Obama, it's cuz of GREED. I work for a lawfirm that is all about greed, it rakes in hundreds of thousands a month a guess what? Me and every other employee there are doing the work of 5 people. It's sickening seeing how common this is nationwide, but again, greed is the American way these days.

If you're gonna blame Obama for the bad economy, I don't blame you, Obama hasn't had many good ideas so far. That's why Romney is gaining momentum lately, and even beating Obama in some polls now. But in all seriousness, what are YOUR ideas to better the economy? You love to criticize but what is your idea??!!!!!

You will likely say Obama should lower taxes on the rich but Bush did that and the economy still hit a bad recession.........

If your thinking I'm gonna lay out some great game plan? NO I'm not. Its real simple and to the point - If Obama is re-elected? in my opinion the economy will continue to be VERY sluggish or worse. This man has created SO much skepticism and fear about the future people will not take those chances IE starting there own business.and others will not expand or hire new employees. Obama has got to go! he has proven that the black man can succeed in this country in spite of what others say. FYI I don't love rich people or envy anyone for their success - just how much should any rich person pay in taxes,? before they take there business/& jobs else where - aka outsourcing.
  • heyslick
    Options
    kingblaze84

FYI

Here's some food for thought about what our government and this administration are trying to/wanna do in the future.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/12-very-disturbing-examples-of-radical-social-engineering-by-the-u-s-government
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read an article that talked about how people didn't like the government programs that they dependent on.
    They realize that they would be seriously broke or starving or in need of serious healthcare without the benefit of those programs... yet their fragile ego's wouldn't allow them to admit how much of an assistance they are.

American Individualism ..... smh
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Shuffington

People are shamed for needing help here. We vilify the elderly and the indigent constantly. its the american way...
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2012
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    worst post of 2012

LOL, funny......well sorry here's the link that proves why raising taxes on the rich is good economics, this comes from CBSnews.com.......

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-43555361/why-raising-taxes-on-the-rich-is-good-economics/

As this new analysis from think-tanks the Economic Policy Institute and The Century Foundation lays out, there are at least 10 reasons to raise tax revenue from the highest-earning households:

Meager revenues and Bush-era tax cuts contribute greatly to the deficit.
    Even if taxes on those with the highest incomes are substantially increased, income gains at the top over time would still dramatically outpace gains among the rest of the population.
    The top one percent of households benefited disproportionately from the Bush-era tax cuts.

Recent income gains for the highest-income one percent have far exceeded gains for everyone else, leading to dramatic income concentration at the top of the scale. Now, more than ever, the highest-income households are in a better position to pay taxes.

Wealth is even more concentrated at the top than income, and the main wealth tax--the estate tax -- has been sharply reduced in recent years.

Reasonable proposals for taxing the highest-income households can raise significant amounts of revenue.

By not taxing the highest-income households, deficit reduction relies too heavily on spending cuts that harm low- and middle-income Americans.

Raising taxes on the highest-income households reduces the deficit without having much impact on the economic recovery or job growth.
    Few small business owners have exceptionally high incomes, and thus few would be affected by these tax increases on the highest-income households.

The progressivity of the federal income-tax system offsets the regressive nature of federal payroll taxes and state and local tax systems.

Why tax hikes wouldn't hurt small business
    With a congressional supercommittee preparing to take an axe to government spending, Republicans have sworn to fight tax hikes at all costs. If the goal is to curb the deficit, rather than to serve wealthy constituents, this is madness. For instance, if they are allowed to continue, by 2019 the Bush-era income-tax cuts would account for roughly 43 percent, or $5.4 trillion, of the total deficit.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2012
    Options
    kingblaze84

FYI

Here's some food for thought about what our government and this administration are trying to/wanna do in the future.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/12-very-disturbing-examples-of-radical-social-engineering-by-the-u-s-government

Yeah some of those federal spending programs are outrageous. Obama hasn't cut down on spending the way he promised he would in 2008.

Worse was the U.S. Senate voting to legalize ? and ? for members of the military, and Obama doing little to stop it, and don't get me started on Obama being just like Bush when it comes to civil liberties....the religious stuff doesn't bother me much though, and neither is making the morning after pill more accessible. Look around you, we have too many people walking around planet Earth as it is.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    @Shuffington

People are shamed for needing help here. We vilify the elderly and the indigent constantly. its the american way...

Yeah this I have never understood. If you go to yahoo.com or some other website where a large amount of people gather, you will always see idiots saying anyone on welfare, foodstamps, or public assistance is a lazy, good for nothing drain on society. Hilarious when morons say this and don't realize the govt picks winners and losers through give aways all the time. Bill Maher said the absolutely correct thing when he called America an overall stupid country. It has many smart people true, but common sense and disorder is the American way of life these days. It's the reason so many people are going crazy and lashing out at the American way of life through chaos and bloodshed, people are upset and will take their anger out in foolish ways.
  • jono
    Options
    People like to identify with "the winning team" notice how many Miami Heat or New York Giants fans there will be this year. These people could live in jackoff, Utah but will try to be a bandwagon fan while the team is winning.

Its the same with politics. They can't win themselves so they live vicariously through the millionaires. The idea is the same.

When the Heat come to Detroit they want to beat my Pistons (not to hard to do by the way) but if I'm a bandwagon riding fan, I'll cheer against my own team. In politics people cheer against their own team all the time. Supporting millionaires, making it easier for them to make money by using shady habits over demanding these ? make it easier for EVERYBODY.

Eric Holder was right when he called America a "nation of cowards" too.

Most are too scary to stand up to big money interests...and it shows in the politicians. Soon (very soon) there will be an entire generation of gutless snobs running this country and then it will really be shot to hell. The Bernie Sanders, Ron Paul types are getting old, they can't fight for you forever. But nobody is ballsy enough to be their heir apparent.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

If your thinking I'm gonna lay out some great game plan? NO I'm not. Its real simple and to the point - If Obama is re-elected? in my opinion the economy will continue to be VERY sluggish or worse. This man has created SO much skepticism and fear about the future people will not take those chances IE starting there own business.and others will not expand or hire new employees. Obama has got to go! he has proven that the black man can succeed in this country in spite of what others say. FYI I don't love rich people or envy anyone for their success - just how much should any rich person pay in taxes,? before they take there business/& jobs else where - aka outsourcing.

You're a hypocrite. You're criticizing Obama for his lack of a real plan for fixing the economy, and you are right on that. Obama has been a disappointment, though not a failure, for not fixing the economy. He has been a failure when it comes to inspiring Americans to become their best though, that is very obvious.

However, your lack of a plan to help fix the economy makes you no better or worse than Obama or Romney. Add some discussion to the mix, and at least give some IDEAS to help fix the economy. I, at least, have given my ideas.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh, in my opinion minimum wage should be done away with completely.
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    Options

Just keep on over taxing the job creators,then watch and see where all the jobs go. Even now many business owners are Leary/reluctant to hire because of the pending tax increases and the uncertainty in general about all the new policies coming down the pike.

This is very slightly reminiscent of what happened to Japan at the tail end of high-flying 90's. They had the 2nd largest economy in the world for being such a small nation largely devoid of natural resources. The trifecta of tech, banking, and real estate bubbles crashed hard (sound familiar?). What did the Japanese govt do? Like what the US would do: increase govt transfers (medicaid, unemployment ben, cut taxes for middle/increase for wealthy) and accrue debt. They thought giving a little extra disposable income each pay cycle would lift them up from their recession. In addition to that, Japan began probably the largest public works projects in the last 1,000 years, spending $1.4 trillion to pave its way back to prosperity to prop up aggregate demand. High public sector debt has made that country go limbo for the last two decades with nonexistent growth. Even exhausting all their fiscal options, their govt used monetary policy to drive down their interest rates, all the way down to zero bound status. Didn't work.

Look, we are NEVER going to get some of our manufacturing jobs back. You want to thrive in the global economy, you better not major in some ? like history or multidisciplinary studies. The little startups that form in Harvard and Stanford dorms, Houston, Santa Clara County, some kid's basement somewhere: those are the ones that gonna drive this knowledge economy. They get bankrolled by other tech billionaire titans (Andreeson, etc). We will still need infrastructure like roads being built, but the companies of the future aren't going to be dreamt up by some kid who wants to work at a latex or textile factory when he grows up. Up your math skills up if you want to compete. ? yourself if you over 30 and can't at least do Precalc. My 16-year-old cousin is taking that ? now. Let me post that incomplete number of billionaires who were computer science or engineering majors.

...Bill Gates - studied computer science at Harvard (going to Harvard equivalent to graduating any state school) ....worth $59 billion
    Sergey Brin - B.S. computer science at University of Maryland..Stanford PHD candidate...started Google...worth $16.7 billion
    Larry Page - B.S. computer engineering University of Michigan...Stanford PHD candidate...started Google...worth $16.7 billion
    Carlos Slim - world's richest man...studied engineering at National Autonomous University of Mexico...worth $63.3 billion
    Larry Ellison - Studied computer engineering and design...founded Oracle...worth $33 billion
    Charles Koch - B.S. engineering....Masters in mech engineering at MIT...worth $25 billion
    David Koch - B.S. and Masters in chemical engineering at MIT....worth $22.5 billion
    Jerry Yang - B.S. Standford in engineering...founded Yahoo!...worth $1.3 billion
    Pierre Omidyar - B.S. computer science at Tufts....founded Ebay...worth $6.2 billion
    Eric Schmidt - B.S. electrical engineer at Princeton University...worth $6.3 bilion
    Michael Bloomberg - B.S. electrical engineering at Johns Hopkins worth $19.5 billion
    Jeff Bezos - B.S. computer science....founded Amazon...worth $18.1 billion
    Mark Zuckerberg - studied computer science at Harvard...founded Facebook....worth $17.5 billion
    Paul Allen - studied computer engineering at Harvard....worth $13.2 billion
    got some more...
    Bernard Arnault - Europe's richest ? ...B.S. engineering at Ecole Polytechnique....worth $41 billion
    Eike Batiista - studied metallurgical engineering at University of Aachen...worth $30 billion
    Alexei Mordashov - studied engineering at Leningrad Engineering-Economical Institute...worth $18.5 billion
    Mukesh Ambani - B.S. chemical engineering at Institute of Chemical Technology...worth $ 27 billion
    Stefan Persson - MSc metal engineering at Siberian Metallurgic Institute....worth $24 billion
    Vagit Alekperov - B.S. engineering at Azerbaijan State Oil Academy...worth $13.9 billion
    Viktor Vekselberg - B.S. engineering at Moscow Transportation Engineering Institute...worth $13 billion
    Azim Premji - Engineering at Stanford....worth $16.8 billion

Good post....I studied computer science and IT in college, and that field (along with the medical field) seems to be the only one with steady growth. There are jobs all over the world and of varying pay scales. But America is horrible at math and science (and steadily getting worse) and people won't take up those things because being a "geek" is looked at as something bad in our society, even though it may get you a solid future and some money in the bank.

That Scranton ? is a just a picture of things to come imo. State and Federal government are all mishandling money and making the people pay for it (figuratively and literally) and it's ? .
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Innovation is the only solution and a pool of information which can be easily accessed by talented people. I'm not just talking about ipods and macs, but chemistry, biology and physics. For sure if we can exploit resources in a better way or find new resources. New revolutionary ideas, not some dudes making angry bird from his basement with existing information.. Yeah, he will become a billionaire and create some jobs, but it's not a longterm solution. Other than that, just give up. There's a billion chinamen doing the same generic jobs for little pay. I'm curious if china can eat into more of the design money americas is making. I mean, why buy an iphone when you can buy some chinese ? with android 40 percent cheaper. Africans, asians, south americans. Why should they waste money on apple products or some expensive american cars. Maybe america and europe need to move their production from china to africa or poorer asian countries. Still we will always survive. We might not have jobs for everyone ever again, those days are long gone, but at least we don't starve and have tons of entertainment. With every other continent making moves, it's hard to say how it will effect the western economy.
  • janklow
    Options
    okay, a couple of quick things:
    Meager revenues and Bush-era tax cuts contribute greatly to the deficit.
    this general statement, as written, includes ALL the Bush tax cuts. i think we both know this.
    Even if taxes on those with the highest incomes are substantially increased, income gains at the top over time would still dramatically outpace gains among the rest of the population.
    The top one percent of households benefited disproportionately from the Bush-era tax cuts.
    honestly, this is why it wouldn't hurt those people, not why it is great economics to raise their taxes. certainly it's fair to point out why they can absorb taxes better than, say, lower-class people.
    Reasonable proposals for taxing the highest-income households can raise significant amounts of revenue.
    i really still don't like the idea of stating this as if it's some budget-balancing move. is billions of dollars "significant amounts" of money in the general sense? absolutely. but compared to the budget? not so much.
    By not taxing the highest-income households, deficit reduction relies too heavily on spending cuts that harm low- and middle-income Americans.
    sort of fair, but i have a theory that if you raise taxes on the rich AND actually balance the budget, you're still going to be able to say it "relies too heavily on spending cuts that harm low- and middle-income Americans."
    For instance, if they are allowed to continue, by 2019 the Bush-era income-tax cuts would account for roughly 43 percent, or $5.4 trillion, of the total deficit.
    again, is that the taxes on the rich, or ALL of the Bush tax cuts?
    Worse was the U.S. Senate voting to legalize ? and ? for members of the military-
    ...and this needs a citation
    eh, when you're quick to attribute attacks on your job performance to racism, you're kind of a coward as well
  • jono
    Options
    It had nothing to do with his job performance. He was speaking on the matter of racial politics and the avoidance of those conversations.
  • heyslick
    Options

You're a hypocrite. You're criticizing Obama for his lack of a real plan for fixing the economy, and you are right on that. Obama has been a disappointment, though not a failure, for not fixing the economy. He has been a failure when it comes to inspiring Americans to become their best though, that is very obvious.

However, your lack of a plan to help fix the economy makes you no better or worse than Obama or Romney. Add some discussion to the mix, and at least give some IDEAS to help fix the economy. I, at least, have given my ideas.

So now you wanna label me a hypocrite - WOW! I do believe I've already mentioned what the problem is,and not until that problem is removed will real solutions begin to take place,I don't need to offer solutions or lay out some plan - this man HAS GOT TO GO!! btw he has done exactly what so/to many Black Americans refuse to understand - America is the 'land of opportunity' of course so many within this site will spin-it in all different directions...& claim otherwise. IMO we need a President who can spread some esprit de corps around to the disillusioned.

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People like to identify with "the winning team" notice how many Miami Heat or New York Giants fans there will be this year. These people could live in jackoff, Utah but will try to be a bandwagon fan while the team is winning.

Its the same with politics. They can't win themselves so they live vicariously through the millionaires. The idea is the same.

When the Heat come to Detroit they want to beat my Pistons (not to hard to do by the way) but if I'm a bandwagon riding fan, I'll cheer against my own team. In politics people cheer against their own team all the time. Supporting millionaires, making it easier for them to make money by using shady habits over demanding these ? make it easier for EVERYBODY.

Most are too scary to stand up to big money interests...and it shows in the politicians. Soon (very soon) there will be an entire generation of gutless snobs running this country and then it will really be shot to hell. The Bernie Sanders, Ron Paul types are getting old, they can't fight for you forever. But nobody is ballsy enough to be their heir apparent.

so true. So damn true.