i am not an african-american............it doesnt make any sense.

Options

Comments

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We've reached a great period in history when we as a community are more comfortable calling ourselves ? than we are calling ourselves African American smh
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    They call those crackers white. They don't say "European American". They don't call Asians "Chinese American". The ? is stupid. Your ancestors may have been born in Africa but not you ? . You're American and never plan on going to Africa.

You seem to be missing the point. "They" calling us whatever shouldn't matter at all. Its the self realization of who you are that should be of utmost importance, but I suppose that doesnt matter to a great deal of people anymore. Mexican Americans and Asian Americans don't need to be prompted by others to go find out about their heritage, they take it upon themselves. It's only us as a collective that will buy into the idea that we're "American" yet are still treated like the 7th son here in our "homeland" lol.

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They call those crackers white. They don't say "European American". They don't call Asians "Chinese American". The ? is stupid. Your ancestors may have been born in Africa but not you ? . You're American and never plan on going to Africa.

You seem to be missing the point. "They" calling us whatever shouldn't matter at all. Its the self realization of who you are that should be of utmost importance, but I suppose that doesnt matter to a great deal of people anymore. Mexican Americans and Asian Americans don't need to be prompted by others to go find out about their heritage, they take it upon themselves. It's only us as a collective that will buy into the idea that we're "American" yet are still treated like the 7th son here in our "homeland" lol.

Well those two groups did not have 300 years of slavery in America to deal with so of course it is more easier to check out their ancestry they rarely kept documents on slaves in the 1600s to 1800s.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not treated like a 7th son ? . So you're telling me African Americans aren't treated like 7th sons but Black Americans are? I think you're missing the point. I could careless how "They" feel or what "they" call us. I know my ancestors are from Africa just like some white people know their ancestors are from Europe. The only difference is they don't walk around saying they are from Europe. That's because they are not. Those ? are from Montana just like my black ass from Arkansas. My ancestors are from Africa not me. I've never been there a day in my life. I can't come from somewhere i've never been to. It's physically impossible. Some people have to be prompted but oh well, that's their problem not mine.

Bruh, where do you for those gifs or videos in your sig?

• manofmorehouse
    Options
    WTF?? Are you reading my posts? Like actually reading them?? How did you get that I said African Americans are not treated as 7th sons but Black Americans are??? And again, why does it matter what white people say or do?? Why does that affect what you, as a Black or African American man, do?? I think the answer to that illustrates why you have reluctance in calling yourself African American
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

Well those two groups did not have 300 years of slavery in America to deal with so of course it is more easier to check out their ancestry they rarely kept documents on slaves in the 1600s to 1800s.

And yet, in spite of those 300 years of slavery in America, you'd rather be known as American instead of African American?? Isn't that EXACTLY what slave owners and traders wanted?? The complete eradication of anything that tied you back to your origins? As simplisyic as it sounds, the answer to all of this is in a book. Yet, therein lies another problem: collectively, we don't read much about our history
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at this pic of the man with the long white beard that is sitting down he is the great-great-great-great grand father of a present day African America woman guess who it is?
    Henry-Wells-Shields-Family-1884.png
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm more Jamaican-american than african-america. I know nothing about african culture or traditions.

I question how much u truly relate to Jamaica given these statements...
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm more Jamaican-american than african-america. I know nothing about african culture or traditions.

its no such thing as a jamaican american once you or your parents became u.s. citizens yall are no longer jamaicans. yall were once afro-jamaicans now yall are afro-americans.
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Covet wrote: »
    This is when I was substituting in a different district, the one in my hometown. I taught pre-k and kindergarten. Currently I teach special ed and kindergarten.
    i knew u were a teacher lol...u just have that look...

i just hope ur not exchanging v-cards with the retards lol @covet
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Afrikan American>>>>>Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE84dHl5Nr0

? are so stupid that they don't realize black is affiliated wit several things that are ? ,negative and depressing

Embrace being called "Black" simple minded negros that's what they want you to do
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im just American cuh
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    im just American cuh

Huey P. Newton would knock you the ? out if he was still alive b.
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    "Black" is a term manufactured by Caucasians that has been pounded in the heads of African Americans. The whole "Black culture" ? is so eurocentric that people are offended when something truly "Black" is in front of them. This is why everything with African origins is deemed unfit or out of touch with our society. Braids, African garb, African traditions, hell, even African American couples are becoming a thing of the past! You ever sit back and wonder why that is? We've been conditioned to hate everything about ourselves and our origins in a successful attemot to completely asimilate. No other culture has done that. Not Jews, Germans, Asians, Indians, etc. We're the only ones that constantly get our culture ? yet continue to stay extra loyal to the ones doing the ? ! SMH
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The white man is showing the world not only can he eliminate a people from their culture, but love him as well. That's true power. I give him daps on that, because he knows if he can succesfully do that, how many more souls can he save with the power of Jesus Christ. We was worshipping demons, elephants, lions, fat black women, etc. So ? is trying to save us, if he got to whoop our ass to do it, he'll do it. I'm glad for slavery, so I don't have to starve in the physical and go to hell fire in the spiritual. ? is good and so is the white man doing the deed of The Most High, ? bless America.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The white man is showing the world not only can he eliminate a people from their culture, but love him as well. That's true power. I give him daps on that, because he knows if he can succesfully do that, how many more souls can he save with the power of Jesus Christ. We was worshipping demons, elephants, lions, fat black women, etc. So ? is trying to save us, if he got to whoop our ass to do it, he'll do it. I'm glad for slavery, so I don't have to starve in the physical and go to hell fire in the spiritual. ? is good and so is the white man doing the deed of The Most High, ? bless America.

Uncle_Ruckus.jpg

What?
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Black" is a term manufactured by Caucasians that has been pounded in the heads of African Americans. The whole "Black culture" ? is so eurocentric that people are offended when something truly "Black" is in front of them. This is why everything with African origins is deemed unfit or out of touch with our society. Braids, African garb, African traditions, hell, even African American couples are becoming a thing of the past! You ever sit back and wonder why that is? We've been conditioned to hate everything about ourselves and our origins in a successful attemot to completely asimilate. No other culture has done that. Not Jews, Germans, Asians, Indians, etc. We're the only ones that constantly get our culture ? yet continue to stay extra loyal to the ones doing the ? ! SMH

True. but Asian women are getting surgery to make their eyes look like caucasians. Not to mention them marrying white men for status. and the Men try to get their noses like white people as well.
    Ive also seen a Mexicans look down on other mexicans because one had whiter skin than the other.
    It seems the media has a profound effect on everybody.

• i fit
    i fit Members Posts: 920
    Options
    I started calling myself black because women would always start a convo with me asking me "What are you" and I got tired of listing all my roots.

I identify as black out of laziness.
  • Sour-Cream
    Options

Bruh, they got the Mexicans in Texas thinking this way. Some don't even refer to themselves as Mexican-American but American.

They got asian women not dating their own kind cause they stereotype asian men as having small wangs. (That's cool with me cause I love asian ? )

Now they got African-American men identified as thugs, scary, unintelligent to deter African-American women from us or leave us with the ratchet ? and not the classy ones cause they're too busy with their nose up in the air ? with the white man.
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    Sour wrote: »

Bruh, they got the Mexicans in Texas thinking this way. Some don't even refer to themselves as Mexican-American but American.

They got asian women not dating their own kind cause they stereotype asian men as having small wangs. (That's cool with me cause I love asian ? )

Now they got African-American men identified as thugs, scary, unintelligent to deter African-American women from us or leave us with the ratchet ? and not the classy ones cause they're too busy with their nose up in the air ? with the white man.

Yeah. It always amazes me how we have come to know rap as "our" culture, yet the images put out by Black rappers are manufactured by White execs. LOL Truth is definitely stranger than fiction. You have ? literally killing themselves over perceptions from others on who they are and what they should be about. But, again, that comes from not knowing what you are or where you came from, and having someone else feed you that "We are all Americans" ? .
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    im just American cuh

Huey my ?

id just slide him a fix
    you said a lot to say nothing
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
  • Sour-Cream
    edited September 2012
    Options
    im just American cuh

Huey my ?

id just slide him a fix
    you said a lot to say nothing

Edgar J. Hoover would be proud of you my ? .
  • Sour-Cream
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    I want to believe dude is joking but I know too many dudes with that mentality.