The Official Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    Wait, in the movie house party, wasn't the project girl name Sherane?

You know the classic movie house party with kid and play. In the movie guys were scared to go to sheranes house because she lived in a bad neighborhood.

Didn't kendrick meet sherane at a house party?

I wonder if that was a intended metaphor or a big coincidence.

Yea I caught that as well, had me wondering was this chick real or did he find one of the most hood names in the book/blatant reference to make a statement? Sherane in House Party wasn't setting ? up though...

i agree with the sherane metaphor ... i remember house party when they tried to bail kid out and that fat ? bustin out the window had martin spooked runnin back to the car ..lmao .... but as far as the album ..i dont think she set him up ... i think thats just what the hommies assumed ... i think he just got caught out of bounds ... that ? happens all the time in cities like Compton..
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    man this album got classic written all over it
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You know the classic movie house party with kid and play. In the movie guys were scared to go to sheranes house because she lived in a bad neighborhood.

Yea I caught that as well, had me wondering was this chick real or did he find one of the most hood names in the book/blatant reference to make a statement? Sherane in House Party wasn't setting ? up though...

i agree with the sherane metaphor ... i remember house party when they tried to bail kid out and that fat ? bustin out the window had martin spooked runnin back to the car ..lmao .... but as far as the album ..i dont think she set him up ... i think thats just what the hommies assumed ... i think he just got caught out of bounds ... that ? happens all the time in cities like Compton..

Right, he never actually clarified whether she set him up or not, but the full song title has me leaning towards the former.

Sherane A.K.A. Master Splinter's Daughter <-- had me thinking he's calling her a rat. Eh either way, I haven't discussed an album this much in a long time. This ? got me wanting to watch House Party now.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

Right, he never actually clarified whether she set him up or not, but the full song title has me leaning towards the former.

Sherane A.K.A. Master Splinter's Daughter <-- had me thinking he's calling her a rat. Eh either way, I haven't discussed an album this much in a long time. This ? got me wanting to watch House Party now.

a hood rat .... lol

a this album has some many intricacies in the story .. it makes you double back and go over every detail on some sherlock holmes ?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options

a hood rat .... lol

a this album has some many intricacies in the story .. it makes you double back and go over every detail on some sherlock holmes ?

I don't know how tha ? I left hood out of the equation, but I'ma just take my L for missing something that obvious. But yeaaaaa *Tity Boi voice* I definitely cosign the intricities, I've listened to this so musc that I should know every word, but I still feel like I'm missing something.

Someone was asking earlier about tha placing of certain parts of the "movie." I say think of Kendrick as the director as well as the perfomer. When you look at it from a visual perspective, you'll notice that most of the album is a flashback. That ? is genius to me.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's definitely not a bad thing, but some of these songs sound like something Andre 3000 would make. "Sherane" sounds similar to "A Day In The Life of Benjamin Andre", "Sing About Me" and "Real" sound Andre 3000-ish too.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's definitely not a bad thing, but some of these songs sound like something Andre 3000 would make. "Sherane" sounds similar to "A Day In The Life of Benjamin Andre", "Sing About Me" and "Real" sound Andre 3000-ish too.

Yeah..."The Art Of Peer Pressure" is Kast-ish too...
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Just on my second listen now.

It's going to take my full concentration, which I can't give at the moment (due to tiredness) to unravel the story.

That said, I agree with most of what @D.Original stated in the thread. Those are my sentiments completely. Section. 80 wasn't experimental, IMO. It was Kendrick in his rawest and (thus far) greatest form.

I can tell it's going to be a slow burner though… and most concepts turn out to be that way. I just don't think the sound and subject matter keeps me as interested, even if he has woven a wonderful concept within the album, which he deserves his props for… but we all knew he was gifted enough to cook up basically anything that he wanted to… he's that good.

Either way, 4 straight dope releases in 4 years, Kendrick's a genius.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    has the album booklet been released yet?
  • AdidasWun
    AdidasWun Members Posts: 443
    Options
    I think it's a classic Album easily the Album of the year
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Options
    AdidasWun wrote: »
    I think it's a classic Album easily the Album of the year

c/s
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    has the album booklet been released yet?

Naw, it probably aint gon' leak til Tues.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will agree that it's not better than Section 80, but it's also not worse...80 was just a perfect project at a perfect time for me...This one is still amazing, and inspirational with how much time he put into it...But not better than Section 80 simply because most of the individual songs on GKMC don't hit me the same until I take into consideration the picture he was painting with the album...
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    edited October 2012
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    I will agree that it's not better than Section 80, but it's also not worse...80 was just a perfect project at a perfect time for me...This one is still amazing, and inspirational with how much time he put into it...But not better than Section 80 simply because most of the individual songs on GKMC don't hit me the same until I take into consideration the picture he was painting with the album...

i think it's better than section 80 even with the first listen
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    I don't know how tha ? I left hood out of the equation, but I'ma just take my L for missing something that obvious. But yeaaaaa *Tity Boi voice* I definitely cosign the intricities, I've listened to this so musc that I should know every word, but I still feel like I'm missing something.

Someone was asking earlier about tha placing of certain parts of the "movie." I say think of Kendrick as the director as well as the perfomer. When you look at it from a visual perspective, you'll notice that most of the album is a flashback. That ? is genius to me.

yeah ..the album is disjointed .... chronologically speaking ... the begingin is the end and the end is the beginning... with flashbacks and flashfowards throughout .... you gotta piece it together to see how everything happens ..i broke the ? down last night and i think i get the real order of the story now ...

RuffDraft wrote: »
    Dope drop. Not saying I co-sign everything, but the subject matter comment is on point, which is why I prefer the latter half of Maad City. I understand that he's carrying a concept throughout and can't fall out of storytelling, but the subject matter is definitely weaker as a whole per track, due to the fact that a listener can't relate as closely as they can to a deep and introspective Lamar track.

Yeah im not buying that ? ... thats hella shallow to me ... like thats not dealing at all with the quality or the vividness the story is being told with ... which are the main ingredients to producing imaginative work ... thats like saying "oh songs about love shouldn't be made no more ...as well as movies .. poems ..anything because its been done sooooo many times" ...i mean hey thats your opinion ..it is what it is but thats shallow imo .. i respect a artist telling their personal story above all else ... are you saying this album isn't introspective?

and as far as the produciton being generic ...all i can do is smh at that ... man with all of the details in these mixes the beat changes to match the tones of the story ... i really cant see how the production can be discredited ... what is this whole "dosen't have the tde sound" ? about ... like can yall explain that?

• AdidasWun
    AdidasWun Members Posts: 443
    Options
    Best Album since 2010 IMO
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D8862D0C-65E8-4C2F-ABB4-0714373797B8-3052-0000033395FDB57B.jpg

First thing I did when I got back to the city was cop this, my friends and family could wait till tonight
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah im not buying that ? ... thats hella shallow to me ... like thats not dealing at all with the quality or the vividness the story is being told with ... which are the main ingredients to producing imaginative work ... thats like saying "oh songs about love shouldn't be made no more ...as well as movies .. poems ..anything because its been done sooooo many times" ...i mean hey thats your opinion ..it is what it is but thats shallow imo .. i respect a artist telling their personal story above all else ... are you saying this album isn't introspective?

and as far as the produciton being generic ...all i can do is smh at that ... man with all of the details in these mixes the beat changes to match the tones of the story ... i really cant see how the production can be discredited ... what is this whole "dosen't have the tde sound" ? about ... like can yall explain that?

I'm not saying this album isn't imaginative, nor am I saying that it isn't creative. It's both. Delving into a fictional piece can be just as compelling as self-reflection, as it's often self-reflection that spans a fictional piece.

All's I'm saying is, Kendrick brought a message and had a niche that made him popular back in 2009, or at least known within the genres Internet fanatics. This continued for two more years. His formula was to be different, honest and introspective, whilst showing off his party-loving side - not forgetting some of the tightest bars and deliveries that I've heard in recent years. I get all of these things from Maad City, after two listens. Although I don't think his flow is as nice as it was on Section. 80. Continually, the tracks aren't delving as deep in terms of subject matter (off two listens), bar Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst - which is an amazing track, IMO and an early standout. However, I agree that everything you've stated creates an impressive piece of work. The stories are well-developed. But this is an early opinion, which is what I didn't want to state. My post was being edited when you quoted me, but I stand by my initial statements.

Furthermore, I never stated the production to be generic. It's well produced and big budgeted (no doubt, given Pharrell's introduction). But if you take a look at early Lamar and the TDE sound, you'll find a much greater cohesiveness between beats. Check out the early favourite and match this with the rest of the Kendrick Lamar EP and you'll see what we mean…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpugosFyzqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyjOyRku7E
    TDE sound, IMO.
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying not to play this out before it even drops but got damn.... I can't stop playing this ? .
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who got a link so I can decide whether to buy this or not
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited October 2012
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

I'm not saying this album isn't imaginative, nor am I saying that it isn't creative. It's both. Delving into a fictional piece can be just as compelling as self-reflection, as it's often self-reflection that spans a fictional piece.

All's I'm saying is, Kendrick brought a message and had a niche that made him popular back in 2009, or at least known within the genres Internet fanatics. This continued for two more years. His formula was to be different, honest and introspective, whilst showing off his party-loving side - not forgetting some of the tightest bars and deliveries that I've heard in recent years. I get all of these things from Maad City, after two listens. Although I don't think his flow is as nice as it was on Section. 80. Continually, the tracks aren't delving as deep in terms of subject matter (off two listens), bar Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst - which is an amazing track, IMO and an early standout. However, I agree that everything you've stated creates an impressive piece of work. The stories are well-developed. But this is an early opinion, which is what I didn't want to state. My post was being edited when you quoted me, but I stand by my initial statements.

i think you really need some more time to analyze this album if thats what your getting (@bolded) .... especially "real" .... "good kid" and "maad city" ......"Art Of Peer Pressure" those tracks particulary good kid/maad city are some of the most detailed personalized and introspective tracks that ive ever heard from kendrick ...listen to the first verse of maad city again... those two songs are the crux of this story ...not just his story specifically ..but the story of people like him ...kids like him.. i think what people are missing is that Sec.80 and GKMC are intertwined ...S8 is the macro (the introduction) ...whereas GKMC is the micro (the specifics)
    Furthermore, I never stated the production to be generic. It's well produced and big budgeted (no doubt, given Pharrell's introduction). But if you take a look at early Lamar and the TDE sound, you'll find a much greater cohesiveness between beats. Check out the early favourite and match this with the rest of the Kendrick Lamar EP and you'll see what we mean…

dont agree at all ...sonically this album flows without hitch imo ... i mean listening to Q's album listening to Soulo's album ..you can hear where the digi+phonics were taking their sound ... its a little spacier ...but the overall melodic thump they're known for is inescapably stamped all over this record ..even the guest producers like pharrell and tha biziness adjusted their sound to fit this record ... ? flows bruh..

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    digi-phonics's style is very diverse
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

i mean ? its like 4 of em so yeah it is lol... im just saying sounwave who did a lot of ? on section 80 like a 3rd has always had this real chill melodic thump sound for kendrick and its no different on this record ...and the other producers followed suit
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i mean ? its like 4 of em so yeah it is lol... im just saying sounwave who did a lot of ? on section 80 like a 3rd has always had this real chill melodic thump sound for kendrick and its no different on this record ...and the other producers followed suit

Willie B did a lot on Follow Me Home which had a more g funk/2001 type sound so i'm not sure what @RuffDraft means by other TDE albums are more cohesive sonically
This discussion has been closed.