Why I raise my children without ? .

Options

Comments

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    Ahh Yes...but there was a time when there was not proof and if u were to say those things in public ud be put in a straight jacket

thats just like if a homeless person comes up to you and says he is jesus reincarnated

you gon look at him like he out his ? mind
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think the human race is advanced enough to be saying for a fact if omnipotent beings exist or not....we still rage war against one another over money and religion
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    Plap Star wrote: »
    Human race cant even travel past their own moon... y to bet gonna rule out the existence of universal beings

i kinda find it hard to believe its a ? in the sky playin the sims with my life

I find it hard to believe that there is a gigantic ball of gas in space that has been burning for millions of years, a planet so large that that ball of gas cant be seen if next to it or the fact that gigantic meat eating lizards roamed the earth...doest mean it ain't true

ok believe what you believe

dinosaurs aint real either, but i iant gon get into that

get your ? outta here

i hope you believe in evolution seeing as you are the missing link

kai i just wanted to troll with the dinosaur ?

but i aint feel like ogin back and forth for hours, i aint that type of poster

so disregard that post
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ahh Yes...but there was a time when there was not proof and if u were to say those things in public ud be put in a straight jacket

thats just like if a homeless person comes up to you and says he is jesus reincarnated

I look at every homeless person like that anyway
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    after reading some of the examples it seems to me that the approach to teaching kids about ? is extremely flawed here and that whoever is doing the teaching doesn't even understand what is in the Bible. Its buffet christianity. Christians do this when they just pick out which parts of the bible they like and focus on that and pretend the rest doesn't exist, but i guess even non-christians can be guilty as well.

and even adults who just want to be left alone, don't want to see christianity anywhere, and don't want people talking to them about it have to understand that talking about it, especially to non believers is an essential part of the religion. not separating yourself from it is essential. If its someone's perogative to be left alone why are they the one's who get offended or turned off when a Christian talks about religion to them. Especially since its more than just a perogative, its mandate? Why do you want them to respect you when you don't afford them the same respect? Basically what i'm trying to say is that if you have a COEXIST sticker on your car you just need to drive it off a cliff
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I think saying for certainity a deity doesn't exist is still lying cause you don't know that there is a deity or not. That is hugely arrogant in my book, but I would tell them to look it up for themselves and come up with their own answers and beliefs.
    "I think saying for certain that an objectively-unobservable giant, omnipotent, hip-hop horseshoe crab doesn't exist because is still lying because you don't know there is an objectively-unobservable giant, omnipotent, hip-hop horseshoe crab or not."

^^Poor reasoning b.

What's arrogant is thinking that any claim someone makes shouldn't be ruled out simply because part of that claim is that others aren't able to disprove it.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options
    i think carl sagan said it the best i've ever heard

"An atheist is someone who is certain that ? does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of ? . I know of no such compelling evidence..."
    His argument fails because the claim of the "supernatural" is an unscientific one. So by the very nature of the claim, evidence can't be compiled for or against it.

Such claims don't automatically get a status quo of "true" or "valid" simply because someone comes up with them.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    Believes ? doesn't exist but doesn't have proof.

Believes ? is real and exist but doesn't have proof.

Same group of people no matter how you look at it.
    Nah. The bolded group is the one making the unsubstantiated claim.

People that believe Godzilla exists and secretly rules the world aren't the equivalent of people that believe Godzilla is just a fictional being used in various media.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But there was reason for someone to come up with those things, there is proof for the claim of a "giant ball of gas", as one just simply needs to look out at. They may not agree w the argument, but the fact that you can point at it and say "that's what I'm talking about", cannot be denied.

Some people claim ? is simply the universe, not an actual being. ? is a title, that's all. I don't believe in an actual being that is "? ", I don't think anything was created. I also don't label things "? " in the universe, things to me are just.
    Options

I look at every homeless person like that anyway

well damn b

very christian of you
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what values,morals, and overall identity are you instilling in your seed .
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Saying something exists without any proof is lying, because you have no facts or any basis to fall back on to support your claim.

To claim something doesn't exist, because it doesn't have any factual evidence, isn't lying but the truth.

Atheism = Christian when it comes to facts, saying you don't know if something exist because you can't measure and quantify it would be the best answer. Your five senses don't mean nothing if the theory of dimensions is proven factual and a multiverse exist than there could be much older universes than ours. We don't know anything so we are trying to say this is or that isn't fact when we have no documentation no way to measure it than it belongs in a grey area.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I dont think the human race is advanced enough to be saying for a fact if omnipotent beings exist or not....we still rage war against one another over money and religion

Your not giving humans much credit.
    I'm not saying humans are incapable of error...

but I honestly think that the idea of a supreme being has been elevated to (for whatever reason) an unfathomable incomprehensible level.

for no reason at all... NONE

but if you actually think about how far we have come and how far we have advanced...its ridiculous..

I agree, We our are own worst enemy. We could solve any and every problem in this world ... and the ones we can't solve.. we can prepare for...

but thats to easy.. Humans are a scaredy batch
    so...

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO, teaching children the belief in ? is about just that.

You teach the belief...keyword being belief...to believe in something.

The belief in ? gives many people a purpose to life. Something that needs to be installed in children from a young age. A belief in a purpose.

People who don't believe in ? should not force the belief on children.

A modern an impartial parent will lay down all aspects and allow the child to come to their own beliefs as they grow up.

I myself do not go to church but make sure mama takes my kids at least once/twice a month.
  • VIBE
    Options
    So what values,morals, and overall identity are you instilling in your seed .

These can be instilled without a bible, not every culture has had a Christian bible and followed these rules. Not all of them have had the same idea of "? ".

One says do not murder, the other requires human sacrifices.

? is different for all people.

I teach my kids good "morals", but it has nothing to do w the bible.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is dangerously close to being moved to race and religion..but i'll just say this and got back to watching mission impossible 3...

for a few years i'm not going to say i was a 100% atheist... but i lost all faith in man... i just felt man was too stupid as a whole to be trusted on anything..especially religion...the fact that man has been proven wrong on so many things in the history of man...and constantly "discovers" new things... to have faith that they got ? , and Christ, and the entire concept of Christianity right on the first time around was borderline foolish...

not to mention all the wars and bloodshed and ironically un-Christian like behavior demonstrated in the spread of Christianity...religion as a whole was just a turn off for me....I felt like if ? was real...he'd be ? that this is how man chose to worship him...infact... he might not even care to be worshiped at all... he prollly looks at us all like we some dummies...

then i came across this essay by Bertrand Russell entitled "WHy I am not a Christian" and that ? just ? with my head for a good while

i don't think it was a coincidence that i was a heavy weed smoker at the time....

then..after I had some pretty rough and humbling life experiences.. my perspective kinda started changing....I start finding more appreciation for things like love, peace and happiness....I developed a passion for those things, and I started realizing that these were core things that were taught in Christianity...regardless what the pastor may say, or what people on facebook, and ignorant fools who just want a cause to run with...ultimately..at it's core.. Christianity was way of living that promoted, peace, love and happiness....there were tons of other things int here too.. but nothing in the bible, or in the religion itself is actually bad... it's not a terrible lifestyle to choose to abide by....

I just think far too many people who have ulterior motives are often dubbed the representatives of it......

then one day when i was really really high.. i started thinking...."well what if ? is real, would he give us signs of it?"

then i started thinking of all the ? i've been through, just reflecting....started talking with my moms a little.....started reading the bible a little more... then i found myself going to bible college at my church...where our pastor was breaking down certain stories in the bible, and teaching us how to break down sermons.....

after a few months of that....i started going back to church.. and i just feel i have a new sense of understanding of things....

i understand theres people who going to feel a certain way about church whether it's for it or against it.. but i don't think it's my role to try to persuade them by belittling them.. i think that's the absolute least effective way of making anyone understand your way of looking at things... that's why i be tripping off of gung -? Christians, and atheist alike....people stay over doing ? ...

just live your life the way that makes you happy, everybody can't be preached to...sometimes they gotta see the ? in you to believe....you can't go around tryna force people in to thinking your way...

that's why theirs so much friction...people stay trying to prove their point by making someone else feel stupid...or trying to make themselves feel superior...

I just do what makes me happy.....and i do find that church, the bible, and being a Christian is teaching me how to preserve that happiness, and i work to be better at it, because I believe it's changing me into a better person for myself and for my family...

can't believe i just typed that much...
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    i think carl sagan said it the best i've ever heard

"An atheist is someone who is certain that ? does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of ? . I know of no such compelling evidence..."
    His argument fails because the claim of the "supernatural" is an unscientific one. So by the very nature of the claim, evidence can't be compiled for or against it.

Such claims don't automatically get a status quo of "true" or "valid" simply because someone comes up with them.

My reasoning stands correctly and Carl Sagan stands because all you are saying is you have proof of your beliefs in which you don't because you can't see it. Your logical fallacies are showing. All in all is that we don't know because we can't approve or disapprove ? exists. Until we can actually travel through hyperspace and know what is there to know about the universe we wouldn't have the capacity to express such a belief is actually true.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Matt-
    Options

i don't think thats true. At least for the Christian ? . Interpretations may be different but not ? itself.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    this is dangerously close to being moved to race and religion..but i'll just say this and got back to watching mission impossible 3...

for a few years i'm not going to say i was a 100% atheist... but i lost all faith in man... i just felt man was too stupid as a whole to be trusted on anything..especially religion...the fact that man has been proven wrong on so many things in the history of man...and constantly "discovers" new things... to have faith that they got ? , and Christ, and the entire concept of Christianity right on the first time around was borderline foolish...

not to mention all the wars and bloodshed and ironically un-Christian like behavior demonstrated in the spread of Christianity...religion as a whole was just a turn off for me....I felt like if ? was real...he'd be ? that this is how man chose to worship him...infact... he might not even care to be worshiped at all... he prollly looks at us all like we some dummies...

then i came across this essay by Bertrand Russell entitled "WHy I am not a Christian" and that ? just ? with my head for a good while

i don't think it was a coincidence that i was a heavy weed smoker at the time....

then..after I had some pretty rough and humbling life experiences.. my perspective kinda started changing....I start finding more appreciation for things like love, peace and happiness....I developed a passion for those things, and I started realizing that these were core things that were taught in Christianity...regardless what the pastor may say, or what people on facebook, and ignorant fools who just want a cause to run with...ultimately..at it's core.. Christianity was way of living that promoted, peace, love and happiness....there were tons of other things int here too.. but nothing in the bible, or in the religion itself is actually bad... it's not a terrible lifestyle to choose to abide by....

I just think far too many people who have ulterior motives are often dubbed the representatives of it......

then one day when i was really really high.. i started thinking...."well what if ? is real, would he give us signs of it?"

then i started thinking of all the ? i've been through, just reflecting....started talking with my moms a little.....started reading the bible a little more... then i found myself going to bible college at my church...where our pastor was breaking down certain stories in the bible, and teaching us how to break down sermons.....

after a few months of that....i started going back to church.. and i just feel i have a new sense of understanding of things....

i understand theres people who going to feel a certain way about church whether it's for it or against it.. but i don't think it's my role to try to persuade them by belittling them.. i think that's the absolute least effective way of making anyone understand your way of looking at things... that's why i be tripping off of gung -? Christians, and atheist alike....people stay over doing ? ...

just live your life the way that makes you happy, everybody can't be preached to...sometimes they gotta see the ? in you to believe....you can't go around tryna force people in to thinking your way...

that's why theirs so much friction...people stay trying to prove their point by making someone else feel stupid...or trying to make themselves feel superior...

I just do what makes me happy.....and i do find that church, the bible, and being a Christian is teaching me how to preserve that happiness, and i work to be better at it, because I believe it's changing me into a better person for myself and for my family...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRusTFxHInw507IxPvXUHzlE7QBpRC5Iy68uZCxJ3hfjbLs4M8b
  • Matt-
    Options
    i don't do the legalistic bs and use scare tactics. thats ridiculous. there is so much other things to learn about no just "if you don't do this this this, and this you're going to hell" or that ? is always nice and if you do good things then only good things will happen to you. that is extremely flawed interpretation and parenting.
  • Matt-
    Options
    "then one day when i was really really high.. i started thinking...."well what if ? is real, would he give us signs of it?"

ol what if ? was one of us thinkin like Joan Osborn lookin as pothead
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »

I agree man. I thought about that too, that sometimes people have to see the ? in you and your walk and sometimes it needs the intellectual teaching and not the emotional sway that gets other people and some need to hear the practical side of it. Some will never go with it and that's their thing, you cannot make anyone do anything and you can't preach to everyone, not even the disciples did that nor Jesus did that. You do what you can and you do what you have to and let everyone come to their own determination of what they believe.
  • VIBE
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

i don't think thats true. At least for the Christian ? . Interpretations may be different but not ? itself.

The main idea of ? is the same; the creator.

Anything after that is usually pretty different. The Christian ? is the only one who has all the gods wrapped up into one.

Other gods are like the single order of a plain cheeseburger.

The Christian ? is the meal w everything on it, supersized.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    No disrespect to all my fellow IC constituents but I dont think you understand the POV of an atheist...(using and atheist as an example)

•first of all... to a theist (if your a theist) ANY! and I mean ANY.. big or little criticism against a ? that you love.. That you've built your life around...will always feel and sound like an attack.
    • Secondly...do you realize that atheist are surrounded by theist all damn day .. 75% being christian in the states.. right.. We gotta hear about this ? ? all damn day from everywhere!.. ... We cant escape that ? ... N*ggas be on facebook talking that ? or praising ? at the award shows (like nygga get outta here wts.) We gotta hear that ? from a bunch of hypocritical mafuckas.... like clearly you obviously in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM live your life Christ like...(all you do is pray when you need some ? ) but who am I to judge.

Its like a black man trying to escape the essence of racism or some ? .

So yeah it may seem like Atheist are pushy (and some are because theres always a fringe element within a certain group) but nyggas finally can actually speak out without feeling shunned... especially in the Black community where people love them some ? and jesus.

"Look at you, emotional."

I'm sorry you feel 'shunned' Lol smh But forreal, that confirms my belief: a lot of atheists carry the burden of ya moms/pastor/priest/religious uncle with you every time you post. Yall asume every Theist looks like this:

judge-wagging-finger-255x300.jpg

Thats some abused woman logic. You grown now! smh Do you, beloved Lol Look around- you're far from a minority in these days n times..ESPECIALLY on the net.
This discussion has been closed.