Who remembers when Mos Def challenged Jay-z to a battle?

Options
124»

Comments

• mr.october
    mr.october Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both are dope mc's but is It really question who would win a battle in this situation. I'm going with the dude that proved himself with the coverage n scrutiny. Just cuz mos didn't crossover music wise don't mean jay can't him 2 task. Mos been better than him quality wise in recent efforts but jay is like on the mt. Rushmore of Hiphop. Even if he lost public perception would be he won
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Us marine when Jay is brought up how is it possible he's never introspective about anything Jay related
    man_wearing_red_cape_10110135.jpg
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    All I'm going to say is that Talib is that dude, I ? with him heavy...I don't really care for Mos but he ight. Mos isn't a prolific MC I don't see why that's even arguable...he just isn't. I don't think it has anything to do with this topic though.

You lost all credibility after the bolded statement. Talib is one of the most hit or miss emcees there are. Dude's flow is either garbage on some sloppy ? or dope. He rarely has standout lines, and he forces his style on new trends in which the end product is straight garbage 7 times out of 10.

Don't ever compare dun to Mos. Talib's last album was ass cheeks, while Ecstatic (Mos' last album) was dope on all levels. Plus on the album they did together (Black Star), Mos ? on him on every single track.

I can't think of one song where Talib got the best of him... the closest one was Twice Inna Lifetime, and that happens to be Talib's (arguable) greatest verse of all-time.

So...you saying Talib is trash and Gutter Rainbows was wack?

michael.jordan.jpg

I'm starting to think you ARE Mos Def...lol
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Talib Kweli's latest single...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ebTb2abKA

... damn Kweli sure is dope.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    while we wait for Jay to respond...

I'll raise you a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg3hS4Ox2Oo

Jay did his thing, but X stole the show
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options

I'll raise you a

I said this in the comments but alot of ppl didnt catch the fact that they were going at each other subliminally during this.

Jay said "feds been trying to build a case since 1993", notice the reactions & watch both Jigga & X reactions. He was refering to the pool hall battle with DMX.

X went back hard too, especially the last line.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep, that's right, the mighty mos aka black dante aka Yasin Bey challenged that ? and that ? kept his mouth shut the ? up! Its only so long ? can leave off their braggadocious type rhymes until they get called on they ? and know they can't react, I mean, how can a ? claimed to be the greatest and constantly tryna convince ? his the best but won't step up when challenged? And let's not act like Yasin ain't a worthy enough challenger, cuz ya boy ain't ? with him lyrically.

http://youtu.be/VgqRm1SRSFM

mos was saucy in this video lol
  • antarticp
    Options
    side note he also called out freeway, sigel and andre 3stack$

side note i think it would be a dope battle cause mos is def very witty and confident when it comes to this rap thing but hes a different rapper so it would be interested to see how it approaches any of these battles
  • antarticp
    Options
    lol he said his swagger aint leaning like that lol .. truth be told mos is one of the few that had swag .... its just the music he chose to do threw folks off on some Andre3000 ish ... and partnering with Talib who is pretty much all lyrical ability and very little swag but way more visible musically than Mos so most think thats how mos def is ......
  • antarticp
    Options
    man yall made me youtube the performance yeah @ the end of the day jayz still winning cause we all know beyonce look 200 million times better than what this photo is showing and this is after having a baby lol
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Real ? know Mos Def can battle its been recorded...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »

I'll raise you a

I said this in the comments but alot of ppl didnt catch the fact that they were going at each other subliminally during this.

Jay said "feds been trying to build a case since 1993", notice the reactions & watch both Jigga & X reactions. He was refering to the pool hall battle with DMX.

X went back hard too, especially the last line.

Yeah I noticed that. After X said his quick verse he had a bop in his step like, "this dude still can't ? with me."
    antarticp wrote: »
    side note he also called out freeway, sigel and andre 3stack$

side note i think it would be a dope battle cause mos is def very witty and confident when it comes to this rap thing but hes a different rapper so it would be interested to see how it approaches any of these battles

Yeah, dude's like to forget that. He called out mad heads and it was official emcees like 3stacks and sigel, it wasn't just commercial dudes like wayne and them.

He wasn't stuck on Jay, that was the people around him. His point was NONE of these dudes can ? with him. Basically, like I said earlier, he was on his brooklyn ? .

• starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Why should Jay reach downwards to bring Mos Def up to his light.

This is disgusting, bring him up to his light smh.

no-no-no-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2072.gif
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay was smart to avoid this battle...