What is the happy medium for new NY hiphop artists?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
You have people like Asap Rocky and French Montana who clearly sound like southern rappers and aren't that nice to be honest, then you got ? like Joey Badass who makes traditionally sounding NY rap but it sounds dated like he is trying to recapture a time period that's already passed.

So what is the happy medium, is there anyone that still sounds NYish but isn't outdated and is there anyone new and progressive but don't sound like the south.?

Comments

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fabulous comes to mind
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why should we drop our sound? Southern artists been rockin with the same sound for decades, with modifications. Just cuz it ain't selling now, doesn't mean it's outdated. What's gonna happen if Joey blows up, and everyone starts running to that sound? We're the best when we stick to what we know, and innovate at our own pace.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think folks to worried bout sound. Just drop something dope and worry bout that side ? later on. I'm for a NY'er this might be an issue but i don't live there so i could careless. Just drop something dope. Folks need to sound how they naturally sound in their process of doing music.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Why should we drop our sound? Southern artists been rockin with the same sound for decades, with modifications. Just cuz it ain't selling now, doesn't mean it's outdated. What's gonna happen if Joey blows up, and everyone starts running to that sound? We're the best when we stick to what we know, and innovate at our own pace.

The souths production has changed a lot since the 90s. That Beats by the Pound, Jazze Pha, Organize Noize,etc production sounds nothing like what's out now (Runner, Inkredibles, Justice League,etc).
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after ? South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after ? South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Action Bronson is nice Flex been playing his songs a lot lately.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *sigh*

NY has new artists with new sounds. Watch for the scene to blow up this year
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The traditional NY sound been ? dead.And ? been rapping over southern sounding beats since 98-99.

Asap does NOT sound like a south dude imo.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *sigh*

@BlackGerald

don't worry it'll take another 10 days at best for another one of these threads
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    *sigh*

@BlackGerald

don't worry it'll take another 10 days at best for another one of these threads

Maybe its time for another "This is the New New York" lol. NY has new sounds, they just aren't mainstream yet
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »

Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.

Regional boundaries have largely been taken away with the use of the internet, social media, etc.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    You have people like Asap Rocky and French Montana who clearly sound like southern rappers and aren't that nice to be honest, then you got ? like Joey Badass who makes traditionally sounding NY rap but it sounds dated like he is trying to recapture a time period that's already passed.

So what is the happy medium, is there anyone that still sounds NYish but isn't outdated and is there anyone new and progressive but don't sound like the south.?

Lol @ "not that nice to be honest"

French Montana is a functioning ? .

He has an excuse, he's been shot in the head and idk if English is his first language so he sounds dumb as ? .
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Southern Universal!
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joey sounds far from outdated .. if he sounded outdated there would be noway he would of gain this much notoriety ... thats actually why hes getting burn cause it sounds fresh but with a twist of essence .....
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

it is what it is the game changed ... everyone used to try to talk like they was from the east coast .... then everyone was loc'in like they from the west .... now everybody woadie cause the south is running it ... it is what it is ... imo @ the end of the day its just shows the power of hip hop .... and we keep sleeping on it when it comes to real ish @ that point it becomes nothing but entertainment .................................................................
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

thats how we grew up so.....idk why people think that everyone north of the Mason Dixon line only listened to Mobb Deep and Killah Priest
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio

SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    joey sounds far from outdated .. if he sounded outdated there would be noway he would of gain this much notoriety ... thats actually why hes getting burn cause it sounds fresh but with a twist of essence .....

What notoriety, who outside of NY is checking for that ? .

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.

And what makes you think those artists can't? Especially Vinny Cha$e... he seems to have the most commercial appeal if anything.
  • usmarin3
    Options

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

And what makes you think those artists can't? Especially Vinny Cha$e... he seems to have the most commercial appeal if anything.

What makes you think they can?

• $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i miss ny when it had pride. but oh well just blend in
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

What makes you think they can?

well in the case of a Vinny Cha$e, he's very similar to a Dipset or ASAP Rocky so..............