What is the happy medium for new NY hiphop artists?

Options

Comments

• Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio

SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.

Mainstream is overrated tho. When I can equally get music elsewhere. But all the Artist I named (Minus Dyme-a-duzin and Planet Fli) has millions of REAL veiws so the ppl checking for them honestly can careless.
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Options
    No one ever seems to mention Homeboy Sandman when talking about NY. Why is that?
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one ever seems to mention Homeboy Sandman when talking about NY. Why is that?

Never heard of him what's some of his songs?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

because he's older and very underground.
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Options

And yeah is older. Does that make people wanna not mess with his music you think? [
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    This dude always talking about Mainstream, Popular ? .

The same way your musky camo jacket ass is always talking about underground.

Name me one underground rapper who has ever transcended hiphop culture, i bet you cant. All the rappers who are remembered have all went mainstream at some level, be it Pac, Big, Jay, Wu, Public Enemy, Eminem,etc.

People don't give a ? about no Sage Francis and them other ''lyrical, spiritual'' ? .
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio

SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.

Mainstream is overrated tho. When I can equally get music elsewhere. But all the Artist I named (Minus Dyme-a-duzin and Planet Fli) has millions of REAL veiws so the ppl checking for them honestly can careless.

LOL at views, like that means ? . Joe Buddens has views and followers, doesn't mean ? .
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? damn. You and this mainstream fetish has to stop

And at the same time you hate ? like ASAP Rock and French Montana

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

And yeah is older. Does that make people wanna not mess with his music you think? [

well the youth have always defined whats hot in this culture but he's happy being underground so he's never going to have much impact
  • usmarin3
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

What side, you do realize you can be a good mc and still be mainstream right. Not every underground rapper is nice and not every mainstream rapper is wack.

To me the truly great rappers started undergound butwalk the mainstream line..ie Pac, Jay, Nas, Em, Big,etc.They have something that most underground rappers lack, and that's polish and songwriting ability.
  • ohhhla
    Options

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

What side, you do realize you can be a good mc and still be mainstream right. Not every underground rapper is nice and not every mainstream rapper is wack.

To me the truly great rappers started undergound butwalk the mainstream line..ie Pac, Jay, Nas, Em, Big,etc.They have something that most underground rappers lack, and that's polish and songwriting ability.

Look at Budden and Styles P they have good songwriting ability and have good source of lyricism.

They're not selling out. Music can be good whether underground and mainstream.

You have this absolute certainty that underground ? are wack, FOH.
  • ohhhla
    Options

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

Now, you're just trolling.
  • usmarin3
    Options

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

Look at Budden and Styles P they have good songwriting ability and have good source of lyricism.

LOL at Budden and Styles, really?

Well i do agree they do have that, but clearly neither one of them ? have that it factor.

Certain rappers lack certain it factor, i know you back packers don't want to admit it. A ? like Mos Def, Talib,etc can make a song about black power and it will fall on deaf ears, a ? like Pac would touch on the same subject matter and it would translate. Why is that, Pac had a it factor, a star quality that made his music translate.

• DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ? an "it" factor, we not discussing runway models ? .. it takes more than "good songwriting skills" to cross over into the mainstream..

And who's to say a few of those rappers mentioned earlier won't blow?.. not too long ago you said Kendrick wasn't gonna blow..

I'm sure ? seen Jay rhyming with Original Flavor in 94 and didn't think he would blow years later..
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Ha, i never said Kendrick wasn't going to blow. post the quote where i said that!

LOL at ? it factor, i bet you know who Bob Marley is and i bet you don't know who Bunny Wailer is. I bet you know who Nas is and i bet the average person doesn't know who AZ is, etc.

It factors is what seperates superstars from good artist.
  • ohhhla
    Options

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

PICK A SIDE DAMMIT.

LOL at Budden and Styles, really?

Well i do agree they do have that, but clearly neither one of them ? have that it factor.

Certain rappers lack certain it factor, i know you back packers don't want to admit it. A ? like Mos Def, Talib,etc can make a song about black power and it will fall on deaf ears, a ? like Pac would touch on the same subject matter and it would translate. Why is that, Pac had a it factor, a star quality that made his music translate.

Because most of those artists have that breakthrough song.

Like I remember back in December '95 when Pac had the interview with Bill Belamy

His first concert didn't have that many folks but after that notable song he was known.

Like why do you care for the causals? You're a hip hop head like the rest of us.

It's funny you run to their side, why?? I don't give a ? if the casual don't know their history

Quality isn't determine on democracy, you know that.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    I'm a music fan, i'm not a hiphop head. I like to think my taste in music is broader than what ''hiphop head'' entails.

I'm not one of those dudes who think everything mainstream is wack and everything underground is great. I think Future is just as wack as Sage Francis.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ha, i never said Kendrick wasn't going to blow. post the quote where i said that!

LOL at ? it factor, i bet you know who Bob Marley is and i bet you don't know who Bunny Wailer is. I bet you know who Nas is and i bet the average person doesn't know who AZ is, etc.

You a lie boa.

Like you ain't post this.
    Pure ? hyperbole, west coast aint ? back. I ? with K Dot but the ? gonna put out his album and it more than likely won't do ? and he'll end up having a career like Ras Kass where is praised critically but don't sell.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    @usmarin3
    why are you obsessed with a rap "superstar" from NY?

you're not from NY, or even the metro area....or even the Northeast. you keep talking about a "sound" but now you're talking about "it" factors and superstars. whats your motive in this thread or whats your question?
  • ohhhla
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm a music fan, i'm not a hiphop head. I like to think my taste in music is broader than what ''hiphop head'' entails.

I'm not one of those dudes who think everything mainstream is wack and everything underground is great. I think Future is just as wack as Sage Francis.

? , you listen to folks like Mac Dre, MC Eiht, ? Pusha T, Masta Ace

You have Kane in your top 10 (shockingly) and you're saying you're not a head??

You know just as much as us but you do this democracy ? with music and etc.

I didn't say mainstream is wack but it is bad for the most today, tho.
  • usmarin3
    Options

I listen to Pusha and Masta Ace, them other ? not!

I'm not a head in the traditional elitist, all things underground is great and mainstream is wack sense.

Mainstream is no more wack than underground is. For wack these mainstream ? lack in lyrics, content,etc these underground ? lack in beat selection, hooks, flow,etc.

Like i continue to say, the truly great rappers walk the line of mainstream and underground.
  • DMTxTHC
    Options
    The BDB wrote: »

You a lie boa.

Like you ain't post this.
    Pure ? hyperbole, west coast aint ? back. I ? with K Dot but the ? gonna put out his album and it more than likely won't do ? and he'll end up having a career like Ras Kass where is praised critically but don't sell.

lakers_oh_snap.gif
  • DMTxTHC
    Options

But was Nas a superstar compared to AZ in 94-95?.. didn't AZ have singles from Doe or Die that charted?..

And where the hell is Chingy at?.. I'm sure he had this "it" factor you're referring to..
  • ohhhla
    Options

I listen to Pusha and Masta Ace, them other ? not!

I'm not a head in the traditional elitist, all things underground is great and mainstream is wack sense.

Mainstream is no more wack than underground is. For wack these mainstream ? lack in lyrics, content,etc these underground ? lack in beat selection, hooks, flow,etc.

Like i continue to say, the truly great rappers walk the line of mainstream and underground.

But that's only a few people who break those barrier.

And even if they do break those barrier people always have some excuse

Jay: Annie Sample
    B.I.G.: Signing to Puff's label
    Pac: Shooting cops and living what he rapped about
    Nas: Lauryn Hill Collaborations, Jay-Z revitalizing his career
    Em: Signing with Dr. Dre and most of his fanbase are white.

You see what I did there???