What is the happy medium for new NY hiphop artists?

Options
13»

Comments

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New crop of youngins arguing with usmarine3 about ? like this.

Lol. the more things change the more they stay the same.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ny rappers should never sound southern!
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    This dude always talking about Mainstream, Popular ? .

The same way your musky camo jacket ass is always talking about underground.

Name me one underground rapper who has ever transcended hiphop culture, i bet you cant. All the rappers who are remembered have all went mainstream at some level, be it Pac, Big, Jay, Wu, Public Enemy, Eminem,etc.

People don't give a ? about no Sage Francis and them other ''lyrical, spiritual'' ? .

at one point nas, big, pac, jay, wu, eminem were underground rappers.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    I'm a music fan, i'm not a hiphop head. I like to think my taste in music is broader than what ''hiphop head'' entails.

I'm not one of those dudes who think everything mainstream is wack and everything underground is great. I think Future is just as wack as Sage Francis.

? , you listen to folks like Mac Dre, MC Eiht, ? Pusha T, Masta Ace

You have Kane in your top 10 (shockingly) and you're saying you're not a head??

You know just as much as us but you do this democracy ? with music and etc.

I didn't say mainstream is wack but it is bad for the most today, tho.

I listen to Pusha and Masta Ace, them other ? not!

I'm not a head in the traditional elitist, all things underground is great and mainstream is wack sense.

Mainstream is no more wack than underground is. For wack these mainstream ? lack in lyrics, content,etc these underground ? lack in beat selection, hooks, flow,etc.

Like i continue to say, the truly great rappers walk the line of mainstream and underground.

But that's only a few people who break those barrier.

And even if they do break those barrier people always have some excuse

Jay: Annie Sample
    B.I.G.: Signing to Puff's label
    Pac: Shooting cops and living what he rapped about
    Nas: Lauryn Hill Collaborations, Jay-Z revitalizing his career
    Em: Signing with Dr. Dre and most of his fanbase are white.

You see what I did there???

BOOM.

What many people call an "It" factor, I like to call it an ADVANTAGE.

• idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a music fan, i'm not a hiphop head. I like to think my taste in music is broader than what ''hiphop head'' entails.

I'm not one of those dudes who think everything mainstream is wack and everything underground is great. I think Future is just as wack as Sage Francis.

? , you listen to folks like Mac Dre, MC Eiht, ? Pusha T, Masta Ace

You have Kane in your top 10 (shockingly) and you're saying you're not a head??

You know just as much as us but you do this democracy ? with music and etc.

I didn't say mainstream is wack but it is bad for the most today, tho.

I listen to Pusha and Masta Ace, them other ? not!

I'm not a head in the traditional elitist, all things underground is great and mainstream is wack sense.

Mainstream is no more wack than underground is. For wack these mainstream ? lack in lyrics, content,etc these underground ? lack in beat selection, hooks, flow,etc.

Like i continue to say, the truly great rappers walk the line of mainstream and underground.

But that's only a few people who break those barrier.

And even if they do break those barrier people always have some excuse

Jay: Annie Sample
    B.I.G.: Signing to Puff's label
    Pac: Shooting cops and living what he rapped about
    Nas: Lauryn Hill Collaborations, Jay-Z revitalizing his career
    Em: Signing with Dr. Dre and most of his fanbase are white.

You see what I did there???

BOOM.

What many people call an "It" factor, I like to call it an ADVANTAGE.

Or gimmick.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after ? South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.

thats how we grew up so.....idk why people think that everyone north of the Mason Dixon line only listened to Mobb Deep and Killah Priest

lol but yeah, when was the last time you heard of a boom bap record in the club?
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Why should we drop our sound? Southern artists been rockin with the same sound for decades, with modifications. Just cuz it ain't selling now, doesn't mean it's outdated. What's gonna happen if Joey blows up, and everyone starts running to that sound? We're the best when we stick to what we know, and innovate at our own pace.

The souths production has changed a lot since the 90s. That Beats by the Pound, Jazze Pha, Organize Noize,etc production sounds nothing like what's out now (Runner, Inkredibles, Justice League,etc).
    ? it's a whole ? region? Why would Jazze pha sound like the Justice League when he's from Memphis or Atlanta and the Justice league is from Southern/East Coast/ Caribbean ass Florida? Hell, the JL sound more east coast than ? south.

What city in the south or the whole country has a more diverse sound than New York City?
  • mr.october
    mr.october Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have people like Asap Rocky and French Montana who clearly sound like southern rappers and aren't that nice to be honest, then you got ? like Joey Badass who makes traditionally sounding NY rap but it sounds dated like he is trying to recapture a time period that's already passed.

So what is the happy medium, is there anyone that still sounds NYish but isn't outdated and is there anyone new and progressive but don't sound like the south.?

There isn't any such thing as a regional sound anymore. The lines been blurred for near 15 yrs or so if u really been paying attention. For example Swizz's in house production style 4 RR starting from late 99 on was southern influenced. Jay Z hit singles being produced by the Neptunes n Timbaland. I just think ? realized ur reach could be bigger if u did songs that weren't typical of the "local sound". Do u want people in queens to hear u or be able 2 book shows in another market like l.a ? People always point out NYers like other people don't do songs 2 fit what might "typically" be hot in this market. Blu n exile below the heavens sound is prototypic ny "sound".Kendrick n black hippy's jazzy sample based "sound" is seemingly ny influenced. Rick Ross had like 2 or 3 singles in a row a few yrs back that u can say we're far from the southern sound he's had success with. It was mm2 with ye n Wayne that joint with John legend off deeper than rap and super high with neyo all were "ny sounding" singles that charted. Point is you can be much more popular as an artist if u deviate on sum songs 2 do something different than the usual. It's such an industry norm now that u can't say dudes is reaching even if they are 2 u, they're rebuttal is gonna be there ain't no "ny sound". Everybody trying to create or find a niche n ride the wave 2 get success. The medium is what u look 4 to balance out ur palette for music. No artist from anywhere offer the listener the medium
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Paul Hate. wrote: »
    The traditional NY sound been ? dead.And ? been rapping over southern sounding beats since 98-99.

Asap does NOT sound like a south dude imo.

What's the traditional NY sound? Is it Kool Mo dee or DMX, or Rakim or Dipset, or LL or Wu tang, or Biggie or A tribe called quest, or Nas or De La soul, or Big pun or Biz Markie?

Was Dipset Anthem, Manny Men, Ether, We gonna do it again southern beats?

I agree with you on Rocky, he sound like a Harlem dude.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint no medium. the reality is this New Yorkers want a NY sounding mc to be on top main stream going forward like a Jay or Big or Nas... but times have changed. most of the youngins grew up more diverse in what they listened to vs back in the day where the boom bap and lyricsm of that region got all the play.
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Ha, i never said Kendrick wasn't going to blow. post the quote where i said that!

LOL at ? it factor, i bet you know who Bob Marley is and i bet you don't know who Bunny Wailer is. I bet you know who Nas is and i bet the average person doesn't know who AZ is, etc.

It factors is what seperates superstars from good artist.

Bob Marley always felt he never fully blew up in Black America. I know it's hard to believe now with how everybody is some wanna be Marley/Reggae fan these day with they Bob shirts and Posters. They blew up everywhere else(i think the same thing limit NY ironically).

Would you say the Wailers and Bob lacked the it factor?
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Why my comment has to be approved?
  • hiphop12345
    edited February 2013
    Options
    mr.october wrote: »
    You have people like Asap Rocky and French Montana who clearly sound like southern rappers and aren't that nice to be honest, then you got ? like Joey Badass who makes traditionally sounding NY rap but it sounds dated like he is trying to recapture a time period that's already passed.

So what is the happy medium, is there anyone that still sounds NYish but isn't outdated and is there anyone new and progressive but don't sound like the south.?

There isn't any such thing as a regional sound anymore. The lines been blurred for near 15 yrs or so if u really been paying attention. For example Swizz's in house production style 4 RR starting from late 99 on was southern influenced. Jay Z hit singles being produced by the Neptunes n Timbaland. I just think ? realized ur reach could be bigger if u did songs that weren't typical of the "local sound". Do u want people in queens to hear u or be able 2 book shows in another market like l.a ? People always point out NYers like other people don't do songs 2 fit what might "typically" be hot in this market. Blu n exile below the heavens sound is prototypic ny "sound".Kendrick n black hippy's jazzy sample based "sound" is seemingly ny influenced. Rick Ross had like 2 or 3 singles in a row a few yrs back that u can say we're far from the southern sound he's had success with. It was mm2 with ye n Wayne that joint with John legend off deeper than rap and super high with neyo all were "ny sounding" singles that charted. Point is you can be much more popular as an artist if u deviate on sum songs 2 do something different than the usual. It's such an industry norm now that u can't say dudes is reaching even if they are 2 u, they're rebuttal is gonna be there ain't no "ny sound". Everybody trying to create or find a niche n ride the wave 2 get success. The medium is what u look 4 to balance out ur palette for music. No artist from anywhere offer the listener the medium
    Agree. Out of the Big three southern acts(4 now imo) Of Wayne, Jeezy, T.I, and Ross, only T.i couldn't be confused for a NY'er(ironically his pops is a New Yorker). Wayne career had air blown black into it's lungs when he was influenced and borrow from Dipset, was mentored by Jay, and was hanging out in Philly.
    Ross sounds nothing like Trick Daddy who sounds like a real southern artist.

People over look this but let a New Yorker say a word like "sipping" and he's biting the souf. Only time people mention it is if the artist is somewhat underground like a Jay Elec, Big Brother or maybe J.cole.

The Neptunes and Timaland are East Coast though(imo).
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Well yall can have Wayne ? ass.

I dont agree with Jeezy & Ross being confused with Yankees. J. Cole either. If you ever been down here you'd know that everybody doesnt talk and act like Gucci, Boosie & Trick Daddy. Shawty Red & Lex Luger beats cant be confused with east coast music. What is you saying?
    So why is every New York Wu tang or Boot camp Clik?

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paul Hate. wrote: »
    The traditional NY sound been ? dead.And ? been rapping over southern sounding beats since 98-99.

Asap does NOT sound like a south dude imo.

Naw son, it just moved to Detroit
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    times have change.most ppl dont care about regional sounds anymore. Just enjoy the music and stop comparing and complaining and making stupid ? threads all the damn time. We got alotta good music from up here and every region and there's something for everybody.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ? an "it" factor, we not discussing runway models ? .. it takes more than "good songwriting skills" to cross over into the mainstream..

And who's to say a few of those rappers mentioned earlier won't blow?.. not too long ago you said Kendrick wasn't gonna blow..

I'm sure ? seen Jay rhyming with Original Flavor in 94 and didn't think he would blow years later..

How you goign to say ? an "it" factor then immediately say "It takes more than song writing skills to cross over"...you're talking about the "it" factor...just giving somebody a song with a catchy beat ain't always enough...it may make 1 hit but that "it" factor is what keeps people coming back to check out new ? from that artists after the initial interest in garnered. You used Jay and the Annie sample...guarantee if Jay couldn't rap for ? he wouldn't still be around all these years later simply based on that one song/sample. Plenty artists get 1 hit song or album...very few in ANY genre make 2,3,4 successful albums
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? with that "dated" ? ... aint ? wrong with that vintage sound... there's room...
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ? an "it" factor, we not discussing runway models ? .. it takes more than "good songwriting skills" to cross over into the mainstream..

And who's to say a few of those rappers mentioned earlier won't blow?.. not too long ago you said Kendrick wasn't gonna blow..

I'm sure ? seen Jay rhyming with Original Flavor in 94 and didn't think he would blow years later..

How you goign to say ? an "it" factor then immediately say "It takes more than song writing skills to cross over"...you're talking about the "it" factor...just giving somebody a song with a catchy beat ain't always enough...it may make 1 hit but that "it" factor is what keeps people coming back to check out new ? from that artists after the initial interest in garnered. You used Jay and the Annie sample...guarantee if Jay couldn't rap for ? he wouldn't still be around all these years later simply based on that one song/sample. Plenty artists get 1 hit song or album...very few in ANY genre make 2,3,4 successful albums

Because it hinders an artist.

The ? won't be based on quality

But what the average listeners likes

9/10 they have no knowledge

But follow the trends
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    ? with that "dated" ? ... aint ? wrong with that vintage sound... there's room...

this is true, nothing wrong with a fresh new song with a vintage influence

ill use this example, when i heard it, it reminded me of 90's hip hop from the east coast, but it sounded fresh, at the same damn time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y2kYQB5nVA
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

LOL, what?.. that was ohhhla that used that Jay and Annie sample as an example..

I can say that because it takes more than this "it" factor you're referring to to crossover (touring, marketing, industry connects, etc.)..

Plus you can crossover by utilizing whatever is trendy and just bypass "good songwriting skills".. you made that point in the bolded, but I wasn't arguing what guarantees longevity..

And Master P was around for years, and he couldn't rap imo..
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after ? South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.

thats how we grew up so.....idk why people think that everyone north of the Mason Dixon line only listened to Mobb Deep and Killah Priest

lol but yeah, when was the last time you heard of a boom bap record in the club?

when was the last time you heard a boom bap record in general? was Just Blaze and Ye boom bap? Heatmakers? Swizz Beatz? ppl act like NY only has 1 sound
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P was awful, yet Marine never brought him up.