does prayer accomplish anything?

Options

Comments

• MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    prayer does work and ? does not predetermine every little thing only christians of the calvinist influence hold to the doctrine of predestination.
    prayer does work and ? does not predetermine every little thing only christians of the calvinist influence hold to the doctrine of predestination.

You beat me to it bruh...

I doubt this will receive a rebuttal.

• _Sour_
    _Sour_ Members Posts: 31
    Options
    100 Prime wrote: »
    PRAYER CAN NEVER BE REPLACED.. JUST LIKE ? CAN'T BE REPLACED. . THAT'S THE PROBLEM NOW. . EVERYONE THINKS THAT THEY KNOW IT ALL AND THEY HAVE EVERYTHING IN CONTROL.... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE LITTLE PETTY PROBLEMS THAT YALL HAVE NOW SO HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK YOU REALLY "KNOW"

so if ? knows all why the hell he ? ? over during slavery? ? was prayin everyday. even why the master was rappin the women and men and beatin them to a ? pulp but ? is real. yeah right. ? love ? more than ? loves itself but yet ? are the most hated people on the earth. explain that ? dip ? . also how is ? real when africans didnt believe in ? before slavery?

whens the last time you picked up the Bible.. whens the last time you spoke with ? .... what you know about ? ...

ill wait.

i know ? aint ? . i know the times i prayed hard for needs they were never received. thats how i know ? .

Jacob prayed 3 times a day, ? didn't respond to him off back but He doubled his blessings cause he was patient.

What good is a faithless prayer, you're better off not praying.

/spiritualrant.

• Premeer
    Premeer Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Sour_ wrote: »
    PRAYER CAN NEVER BE REPLACED.. JUST LIKE ? CAN'T BE REPLACED. . THAT'S THE PROBLEM NOW. . EVERYONE THINKS THAT THEY KNOW IT ALL AND THEY HAVE EVERYTHING IN CONTROL.... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE LITTLE PETTY PROBLEMS THAT YALL HAVE NOW SO HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK YOU REALLY "KNOW"

so if ? knows all why the hell he ? ? over during slavery? ? was prayin everyday. even why the master was rappin the women and men and beatin them to a ? pulp but ? is real. yeah right. ? love ? more than ? loves itself but yet ? are the most hated people on the earth. explain that ? dip ? . also how is ? real when africans didnt believe in ? before slavery?

whens the last time you picked up the Bible.. whens the last time you spoke with ? .... what you know about ? ...

ill wait.

i know ? aint ? . i know the times i prayed hard for needs they were never received. thats how i know ? .

Jacob prayed 3 times a day, ? didn't respond to him off back but He doubled his blessings cause he was patient.

What good is a faithless prayer, you're better off not praying.

/spiritualrant.

if its not from the heart, then its not faithful. if you have no faith, then your prayer means nothing. just a blank letter.

but if you want to see a man with great faith, read the book of Job.. that was a man that went through it and kept his faith through it all. in fact, the more he went through and lost, the stronger his faith got.

thats a story every christian needs to know.

this guy here ( iamtheville ) he claims he was a christian, but he dont know the 1st thing about being a christian.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not gods job to deliver your ass from physical slavery it's yours, faith without works is dead so if you don't take it on yourself to do something about your situation and believe ? is on your side then things will stay the same. ? is not a genie that will give you whatever you want just because you ask.

If ? 's prophets often suffered and he never saved them from feeling pain what makes you think he is going to swing down and stop you from feeling it. do you realize jesus got his ass beat nailed to a cross and died, don't you see the message ? it trying to convey in that story.

first jesus was a ? . his quote unquote pain couldnt ? with ? like kunte kinte and such. and i do put in work but its never to no avail. i was gods number one fan. n/h. but ? never came through and reality showed me that religion or even possibly spirituality has no affect in this world.

Fool, i am willing to bet you have suffered no real pain in your life you are just another little boy angry at ? because you did not get what you want. Most ? living in modern day America have no real reason to complain about ? you spoiled rich weaklings.
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ill wait.

you got it all wrong. your approach, understanding, etc. wrong.

so you were a christian at 1 time but turned from the faith.... funny. just like how ? prophesied.

well if that be so then ? should also know once i pass and if "it" is real im going to ? "it". so i guess youre right.

• IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not gods job to deliver your ass from physical slavery it's yours, faith without works is dead so if you don't take it on yourself to do something about your situation and believe ? is on your side then things will stay the same. ? is not a genie that will give you whatever you want just because you ask.

If ? 's prophets often suffered and he never saved them from feeling pain what makes you think he is going to swing down and stop you from feeling it. do you realize jesus got his ass beat nailed to a cross and died, don't you see the message ? it trying to convey in that story.

first jesus was a ? . his quote unquote pain couldnt ? with ? like kunte kinte and such. and i do put in work but its never to no avail. i was gods number one fan. n/h. but ? never came through and reality showed me that religion or even possibly spirituality has no affect in this world.

Fool, i am willing to bet you have suffered no real pain in your life you are just another little boy angry at ? because you did not get what you want. Most ? living in modern day America have no real reason to complain about ? you spoiled rich weaklings.

first and foremost my patna...you dont know wtf ive been through in my life to even make a idiotic assumption like this. if i didnt know ? then that would mean that ? exist but "it" doesnt. if i told you my trials and tribulations (i spit a many ? on here) then you should feel my pain. n/h

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No is an answer to prayer. Amen.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? and the devil hit up the club looking for ?
  • Premeer
    Options

ill wait.

you got it all wrong. your approach, understanding, etc. wrong.

so you were a christian at 1 time but turned from the faith.... funny. just like how ? prophesied.

well if that be so then ? should also know once i pass and if "it" is real im going to ? "it". so i guess youre right.

now you talking about you go ? ? ???? i really dont even know what to say lol.
  • zombie
    edited March 2013
    Options

first and foremost my patna...you dont know wtf ive been through in my life to even make a idiotic assumption like this. if i didnt know ? then that would mean that ? exist but "it" doesnt. if i told you my trials and tribulations (i spit a many ? on here) then you should feel my pain. n/h

You have not been through ? both you and i know that, i can make that assumption because if you live in a first world nation you don't really know what it is to face suffering. there is not one real ghetto in america in the so called ghettos in america you have access to free schooling food and in many cases a roof over your head.

what, did you have bad parents is that why you hate ? .

did your uncle touch you in a wrong place or were you simply to poor to afford the nice things. maybe you became a victim of child abuse. maybe you were homeless the homeless in america live really really good compared to some places. In any case you got it easy so

stop complaining and thank ? you weak ? .
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched a ? go from broke to a famous millionaire and it wasnt talent or intelligence
  • Premeer
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    I watched a ? go from broke to a famous millionaire and it wasnt talent or intelligence
    well, ? doesnt encourage fame and a whole bunch of money.... it triggers much evil... and you really cant get to a certain level of status without giving something.. everything has a price.. even fame and fortune.

if you want fame and money, then that will cost you your soul.

what happens when you sell your soul? you obviously become property of the devil, now you have to do everything he wants you to do...

you then have to forget all the self respect, dignity, morals, etc that you know and made you, then you have to be exactly what the devil wants you to be... and a lot of people who sell their souls, if not all, are murdered. part of selling your soul.. but the most messed up part about selling your soul for fortune and fame, it is easily the most selfish thing you can do.. to sell your soul.. you also have to sacrifice a loved 1... you have to sacrifice blood.. and sex is in the mix. become sex monsters and they encourage sleeping around, etc.

you become the devils slave, but unlike ? , the devil will give you everything you ask for and want, but he keeps you weak and vulnerable... while ? will give you everything you NEED, and will make you strong, and will uplift you.. and give you happiness.

whens the last time you saw a millionaire happy.... never.

you see more happy poor people than rich people. and you have more poor christians .. and theres more rich atheists...

you can connect the dots.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    well, ? doesnt encourage fame and a whole bunch of money.... it triggers much evil... and you really cant get to a certain level of status without giving something.. everything has a price.. even fame and fortune.

what happens when you sell your soul? you obviously become property of the devil, now you have to do everything he wants you to do...

you then have to forget all the self respect, dignity, morals, etc that you know and made you, then you have to be exactly what the devil wants you to be... and a lot of people who sell their souls, if not all, are murdered. part of selling your soul.. but the most messed up part about selling your soul for fortune and fame, it is easily the most selfish thing you can do.. to sell your soul.. you also have to sacrifice a loved 1... you have to sacrifice blood.. and sex is in the mix. become sex monsters and they encourage sleeping around, etc.

you become the devils slave, but unlike ? , the devil will give you everything you ask for and want, but he keeps you weak and vulnerable... while ? will give you everything you NEED, and will make you strong, and will uplift you.. and give you happiness.

you see more happy poor people than rich people. and you have more poor christians .. and theres more rich atheists...

You did a good job in this thread, good enough that I didnt feel the need to post anything specific. shut up tho. No need to take any of my posts and rebuttal them, they arent wrong.

i dont want to derail a thread on prayer with a debate on money and definitely not the youtube illuminati ? youre inferring. but ill say this and leave it, money isnt evil. check your bible. and you cant sell your soul, you didnt create it, you dont own it. can you convince someone into thinking you can sell it? sure
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never did shot for me back when I was foolish enough to believe in ? .
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When ? heals amputees.

@ me
  • Premeer
    Options

You did a good job in this thread, good enough that I didnt feel the need to post anything specific. shut up tho. No need to take any of my posts and rebuttal them, they arent wrong.

i dont want to derail a thread on prayer with a debate on money and definitely not the youtube illuminati ? youre inferring. but ill say this and leave it, money isnt evil. check your bible. and you cant sell your soul, you didnt create it, you dont own it. can you convince someone into thinking you can sell it? sure

calm down, brah. all i did was explain something to you lol. you on my good side. why would i come at you like that.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ? does not predetermine every little thing only christians of the calvinist influence hold to the doctrine of predestination.

Psalm 139:16
    Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

Proverbs 20:24
    A person’s steps are directed by the Lord.
    How then can anyone understand their own way?

Ephesians 1:11
    In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will
  • vitoria
    vitoria Members Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It has to, cause the one thing that I keep finding out over and over again is man will always disappoint you
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I adhere to a sort of existential determinism type of perspective.

I believe that the universe is governed by laws that determines how a situation will unfold based on all of the variables of said situation. This includes micro and macro variables; from what we can see, hear, touch and feel down to the sub-atomic level which is beyond natural human observation.

In line with that train of though, if someone goes into a situation with a negative attitude, the outcome of that situation will be different than it would be if they went in with a positive attitude and a belief that they can achieve victory as opposed to feelings they are trying to do the impossible. Attitude is a characteristic that makes or breaks success. I think people can control their attitude and therefore have a really big responsibility to ensure they keep a good outlook to improve their chances of success. In the simplest terms: control your attitude and you have a lot of control over your success.

If praying brings about a good attitude in someone, then it is definitely a positive thing. If believing in a ? or a Goddess and communicating with them helps someone maintain the mindset necessary to better ensure success, by all means do it. While I do not think Gods or Goddesses actually exist, and therefore do not think the benefit is coming from said Gods or Goddesses, I do see prayer as something that can be beneficial.

Sry for the titangraph

TL;DR version: If praying brings positive attitude into your life, it definitely accomplishes something and helps you succeed.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1-vibe-chief-keef.jpeg
  • zombie
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »

Psalm 139:16
    Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

Proverbs 20:24
    A person’s steps are directed by the Lord.

Ephesians 1:11
    In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will

Psalms 139:16 knowing how long someone is going to live does not mean you have predestined their days. knowledge does not equal action.

There are many different translations of proverbs 20:24 most read something like this a man's goings are of the lord , how then can a man understand his way which is more of a comment on human lack of understanding of the future and not really a comment on ? choosing the path of man. In any case proverbs were not written by prophets or apostles and they are the only ones qualified to speak for ? .

Ephesians 1

NOTICE it says" IN HIM" we are chosen which means only in him are we predestined but we have to choose to be" in Him" in other words we have to submit our freewill to ? and the result shall be our conformity to his will. In other words ? only predestines eternal salvation for those who chose to obey. we who do this will get this is what paul is saying

Predestination is a doctrine of calvinist and it is one i many many other kinds of Christians reject.
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Predestination is a doctrine of calvinist and it is one i many many other kinds of Christians reject.

Touche.
    knowledge does not equal action.

When speaking of ordinary humans and other finite beings I would have to agree with you. In the case of the Bible ? , it's a little bit more complicated. Given that ? is described, in the Bible, as omnipotent and omniscient meaning that (1) ? is able to do anything or that ? is unlimited in power and (2) ? knows everything, determinism must be true. In other words, everything that happens is according to ? 's will. For instance,

1. ? knows today that person X will fall victim to an automobile accident at exactly 5:37PM Thursday evening tomorrow because ? is omniscient.
    2. Because ? is omnipotent, ? can, just as easily as it is for you to blink, either let person X die in that accident, cause him to survive it, or push him to avoid the accident altogether.
    3. Either choice ? makes here is according to his will; he intended it to happen since it was allowed to happen.

This is why I read verses like Proverbs 20:24 like this

NIV: A person’s steps are directed by the Lord.

NKJV: A man’s steps are of the Lord;
    How then can a man understand his own way?

KJV: Man's goings are of the Lord; how can a man then understand his own way?

ESV: A man's steps are from the Lord;
    how then can man understand his way?

ASV: A man's goings are of Jehovah; How then can man understand his way?

NASB: Man’s steps are ordained by the Lord,
    How then can man understand his way?

In the KJV that you reference, the word "goings" would mean actions or events. The word "of" in this instance indicates origination.

Therefore, in order for determinism or predestination to be false, one would have to give up one of ? 's qualities that create the contradiction such as omniscience.
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    Options
    An easier way to understand my argument is this:

If ? is the sole creator of the universe and being omniscient, saw the state of the universe and everything/one within it at all times before he set to create it, he chose for these events to happen as they've taken place simply because ? is supposedly omnipotent and had the ability to create a universe with a higher percentage of good thus decreasing if not eliminating the percentage of evil and as a consequence changing the course of events that were to take place within that particular universe.

So even if you translate or interpret the Bible in a way that it does not explicitly state that determinism is true, it is implied in other ways.
  • Premeer
    Options
    Yea, because santa and a sky daddy that created the languages we know today because he got mad after a game of chutes and ladders have had equal influence on society.

exactly... because we evolved from apes.

food for thought:
    if they have all these bones to "prove" we evolved... they always show different sets of skulls... they say it takes millions of years for this evolution to occur.. so where are all the skulls and bones at that showing the actual evolution.. they just have different skeletons and assume they are "our ancestors" that we evolved from...

if we evolved, then that would mean they would have much much much more skeletons than just 5-6 different sets of them.. you understand what im saying?

no? ok.. for instance, say they show 5 different skulls... ok? so between all those stages, in the mean time and in between time, where are those other skulls that brought stage 1 to stage 2?

or do they just wake up 1 day a completely different being...

if they evolved, then they should have every skull, every slight change in the skull, every growth ...

as far as im concerned, those may not even be real.. OR they can just be extinct apes. not human evolution.

impossible.

@AJackson

since you said this ^^^^ was wack... can you explain how it is? where are all of these skulls and bones showing our "evolution" purely... and not in 5 - 6 stages like they do...

or is it that they dont have any more skulls and there are no other skulls supporting this evolution theory.. so they just found these ape like skulls and just made this 1 big HUGE colossal assumption misleading humanity saying we evolved from apes....

evolution has too many holes... and ^^^ is completely over-looked...
  • Bodhi
    Options
    so where are all the skulls and bones at that showing the actual evolution..

dn9989-1_300.jpg