does prayer accomplish anything?

Options

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the honest truth is prayer is a coping mechanism just like faith... it gives you that hope so u dont give up during turmoil or thru trials and tribulations... I jut cant see ? pickin and choosing who lives and dies and whose prayer to answer like that esp when two good hearted people pray for the same thing... a LOT OF ? IS JUST RANDOM....Ive had things I prayed for answered and things Ive prayed for unanswered....
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can say that when i stopped praying all sorts of ? ? was happenin...
  • Premeer
    Premeer Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top Cat wrote: »
    ^^i pray you never type a titangraph again
    a titangraph is 1 big block of words. i dont do those.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    prayer does work
    Prayer makes people feel better thats for certain. But it hasnt been proven to "work."

There have been studies in the medical field where they claim a certain percentage of people who prayed vs. people who didnt pray were healed of their sickness at a higher rate. What they fail to mention is that it didnt work for patients with heart disease. So apparently ? doesnt give a ? about heart patients. But if you have diabetes he may just hear you out.
    and ? does not predetermine every little thing only christians of the calvinist influence hold to the doctrine of predestination.
    Please find me a Christian in this modern day & age that doesnt believe "? has a plan and controls all things at all times for his own reasons."

I never claimed every single Christian believed it. BUt its a fact that the vast majority do. You cant build your rebuttal on the 15 to 20 Christians who dont actually believe that ? has a predetermined plan for us all (while at the same time believing in free will by the way..which is ? .)

Unfortunately this is Christian logic:

Positive Outcome: AINT ? GOOD!? PRAYER WORKS YALL!

Negative Outcome: OH LAWD, THE DEVIL BUSY AINT HE YALL?!

Christian Attitude Before Prayer:
    LETS PRAY YALL! OUR ? IS AN AWESOME ? ...HE'LL SEE US THROUGH!

Christian Attitude AFTER Prayer and Negative Outcome:
    WELL YALL IT WAS THE LORDS WILL THIS HAPPENED. YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS HIS PLAN. BUT THE GOOD LAWD KNOWS BEST. YOUR 2 YEAR OLD DYING OF CANCER WAS ACTUALLY ? 's WAY OF SHOWING YOU YOU ARE SKRONG LOL (then WTF did you pray for if the outcome was predetermined?) LOL
  • Premeer
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    prayer does work
    Prayer makes people feel better thats for certain. But it hasnt been proven to "work."

There have been studies in the medical field where they claim a certain percentage of people who prayed vs. people who didnt pray were healed of their sickness at a higher rate. What they fail to mention is that it didnt work for patients with heart disease. So apparently ? doesnt give a ? about heart patients. But if you have diabetes he may just hear you out.
    and ? does not predetermine every little thing only christians of the calvinist influence hold to the doctrine of predestination.
    Please find me a Christian in this modern day & age that doesnt believe "? has a plan and controls all things at all times for his own reasons."

I never claimed every single Christian believed it. BUt its a fact that the vast majority do. You cant build your rebuttal on the 15 to 20 Christians who dont actually believe that ? has a predetermined plan for us all (while at the same time believing in free will by the way..which is ? .)

WELL YALL IT WAS THE LORDS WILL THIS HAPPENED. YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS HIS PLAN. BUT THE GOOD LAWD KNOWS BEST. YOUR 2 YEAR OLD DYING OF CANCER WAS ACTUALLY ? 's WAY OF SHOWING YOU YOU ARE SKRONG LOL (then WTF did you pray for if the outcome was predetermined?) LOL

shut the ? up.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even tho my beliefs have changed over time and i don't rely on prayer anymore, in my opinion having some sort of spirituality and being conscious of a "higher level of energy" is better for your health and mind than just focusing on things as is.

But like darc said I see it as a coping mechanism and I can understand why people of faith believe in it.
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PRAYER CAN NEVER BE REPLACED.. JUST LIKE ? CAN'T BE REPLACED. . THAT'S THE PROBLEM NOW. . EVERYONE THINKS THAT THEY KNOW IT ALL AND THEY HAVE EVERYTHING IN CONTROL.... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE LITTLE PETTY PROBLEMS THAT YALL HAVE NOW SO HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK YOU REALLY "KNOW"

so if ? knows all why the hell he ? ? over during slavery? ? was prayin everyday. even why the master was rappin the women and men and beatin them to a ? pulp but ? is real. yeah right. ? love ? more than ? loves itself but yet ? are the most hated people on the earth. explain that ? dip ? . also how is ? real when africans didnt believe in ? before slavery?

• Premeer
    Options
    PRAYER CAN NEVER BE REPLACED.. JUST LIKE ? CAN'T BE REPLACED. . THAT'S THE PROBLEM NOW. . EVERYONE THINKS THAT THEY KNOW IT ALL AND THEY HAVE EVERYTHING IN CONTROL.... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE LITTLE PETTY PROBLEMS THAT YALL HAVE NOW SO HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK YOU REALLY "KNOW"

so if ? knows all why the hell he ? ? over during slavery? ? was prayin everyday. even why the master was rappin the women and men and beatin them to a ? pulp but ? is real. yeah right. ? love ? more than ? loves itself but yet ? are the most hated people on the earth. explain that ? dip ? . also how is ? real when africans didnt believe in ? before slavery?

whens the last time you picked up the Bible.. whens the last time you spoke with ? .... what you know about ? ...

ill wait.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    prayer does work

when you say predestination do you mean in the eternal sense meaning, ? knows who is going to hell or do you mean predestination for mundane things like what i will have for breakfast next friday.

whoever told you that ? is here to stop pain and death lied to you, 2 year olds die all the time but ? loves me you or the child no less but it's not really a promise of ? to stop earthly pain and death in fact he tells us there will be pain and death lots of it.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not gods job to deliver your ass from physical slavery it's yours, faith without works is dead so if you don't take it on yourself to do something about your situation and believe ? is on your side then things will stay the same. ? is not a genie that will give you whatever you want just because you ask.

If ? 's prophets often suffered and he never saved them from feeling pain what makes you think he is going to swing down and stop you from feeling it. do you realize jesus got his ass beat nailed to a cross and died, don't you see the message ? it trying to convey in that story.
  • NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    100 Prime wrote: »
    brah.. prayer is everything. i could go on and on, but ill just give you an example.

i was diagnosed with depression for like 8+ years.. i swore i was bi-polar tho.. highs of highs and lows of lows.. it was terrible.

but after a while, you begin to realize that these meds aint curing ? .. all they do is temporarily fix you for a couple days, then you gotta go back in and up your dosage. and its just a continuous cycle.. then those pills, lead to other sicknesses and MORE pills.. and its just a vicious cycle they put you in.

and around the time i started taking being a christian a little more serious, keeping my head in the Bible .. made it a daily routine. and ? said hes a healer...

but before i started reading the Bible, i couldnt understand ? lol. but i knew it was true so i asked ? in prayer to help me understand.. so boom. i started reading and things started coming together.

? said he was a healer.. and something told me 1 morning to leave those pills alone and start praying ... so i threw the pills out and started praying to help my depression.. to give me happiness and mental strength to get through those lows and stay high..

within a week, depression was a non-factor in my life.

all depression is is YOU stuck in your thoughts beating yourself up.. you have to change your thoughts and you can change your life. ? taught me that.

of course every now and again you might still hit a low, but thats expected. not nearly as low, tho and lasts a night at the most. prayer built me up, strong, solid, sturdy emotionally, mentally, and gave me wisdom / understanding, etc.. just through prayer.

Nah, you were just a weak birch and replaced one negative with another.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ this placebo effect ass ? .
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IF ? AINT REAL. . WHY DO YALL CONSTANTLY DISCUSS HIM? ...I DON'T SEE YALL HATING ON FAIRY TALE CHARACTERS LIKE SANTA..... OF HE'S FAKE LET HIM BE FAKE. ..
  • VIBE
    Options
    IF ? AINT REAL. . WHY DO YALL CONSTANTLY DISCUSS HIM? ...I DON'T SEE YALL HATING ON FAIRY TALE CHARACTERS LIKE SANTA..... OF HE'S FAKE LET HIM BE FAKE. ..

? Santa Claus too.

LMAO @ since you discuss him, that proves he's real.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    Yea, because santa and a sky daddy that created the languages we know today because he got mad after a game of chutes and ladders have had equal influence on society.
  • Premeer
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

? Santa Claus too.

i feel sorry for your great grandmother.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Options
    tbh, there's a good chance his great grandmother was calling your great grandfather boy.
  • Premeer
    Options
    Yea, because santa and a sky daddy that created the languages we know today because he got mad after a game of chutes and ladders have had equal influence on society.

exactly... because we evolved from apes.

food for thought:
    if they have all these bones to "prove" we evolved... they always show different sets of skulls... they say it takes millions of years for this evolution to occur.. so where are all the skulls and bones at that showing the actual evolution.. they just have different skeletons and assume they are "our ancestors" that we evolved from...

if we evolved, then that would mean they would have much much much more skeletons than just 5-6 different sets of them.. you understand what im saying?

no? ok.. for instance, say they show 5 different skulls... ok? so between all those stages, in the mean time and in between time, where are those other skulls that brought stage 1 to stage 2?

or do they just wake up 1 day a completely different being...

if they evolved, then they should have every skull, every slight change in the skull, every growth ...

as far as im concerned, those may not even be real.. OR they can just be extinct apes. not human evolution.

impossible.
  • VIBE
    Options

? Santa Claus too.

Me too, she suffered in her dying days.
  • Premeer
    edited March 2013
    Options
    tbh, there's a good chance his great grandmother was calling your great grandfather boy.
    TBH, theres a even greater chance my family was in Yugoslavia during those salve days.... but thats irrelevant since vibe is white.

and nobody in my family was part of that racist mess. they had no place in that. they not even american bred.

its a great chance vibes great great great grandfather was ? your great great great grandmother every night making a bunch of mix babies.

and my other family?

the native americans got robbed of their land and the others were south of the border..

damn you really showing your ignorance in this thread, huh...

• Premeer
    Options

? Santa Claus too.

Me too, she suffered in her dying days.

exactly... because we evolved from apes.

food for thought:
    if they have all these bones to "prove" we evolved... they always show different sets of skulls... they say it takes millions of years for this evolution to occur.. so where are all the skulls and bones at that showing the actual evolution.. they just have different skeletons and assume they are "our ancestors" that we evolved from...

if we evolved, then that would mean they would have much much much more skeletons than just 5-6 different sets of them.. you understand what im saying?

no? ok.. for instance, say they show 5 different skulls... ok? so between all those stages, in the mean time and in between time, where are those other skulls that brought stage 1 to stage 2?

or do they just wake up 1 day a completely different being...

if they evolved, then they should have every skull, every slight change in the skull, every growth ...

as far as im concerned, those may not even be real.. OR they can just be extinct apes. not human evolution.

impossible.

so where are all those other bones at that supposedly prove we evolved?
  • IamtheVILLE
    Options

whens the last time you picked up the Bible.. whens the last time you spoke with ? .... what you know about ? ...

ill wait.

i know ? aint ? . i know the times i prayed hard for needs they were never received. thats how i know ? .

• IamtheVILLE
    Options

It's not gods job to deliver your ass from physical slavery it's yours, faith without works is dead so if you don't take it on yourself to do something about your situation and believe ? is on your side then things will stay the same. ? is not a genie that will give you whatever you want just because you ask.

If ? 's prophets often suffered and he never saved them from feeling pain what makes you think he is going to swing down and stop you from feeling it. do you realize jesus got his ass beat nailed to a cross and died, don't you see the message ? it trying to convey in that story.

first jesus was a ? . his quote unquote pain couldnt ? with ? like kunte kinte and such. and i do put in work but its never to no avail. i was gods number one fan. n/h. but ? never came through and reality showed me that religion or even possibly spirituality has no affect in this world.

• Premeer
    Options

ill wait.

i know ? aint ? . i know the times i prayed hard for needs they were never received. thats how i know ? .

you got it all wrong. your approach, understanding, etc. wrong.

so you were a christian at 1 time but turned from the faith.... funny. just like how ? prophesied.