Has Obama Failed Black Americans on Jobs?

Options

Comments

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Considering the situation he inherited and the fact there was no guarantee he would be able to fix it, No he hasnt failed. Its one of them things that can only be fixed the long hard way and that is happening. But its definitely improving. The job situation still has much room for improvement.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    bambu wrote: »
    I'm U.S.

Obama should do everything he can to fix the ills in the black community.................

Again......

He has done it with other "minority" groups..........
    With DREAM Order, Obama Did What Presidents Do: Act Without Congress

President Obama on Friday announced he was using his executive power to give some young illegal immigrants the right to stay longer in the United States

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/06/15/155106744/with-dream-order-obama-did-what-presidents-do-act-without-congress

From what a gather, the dream act doesn't guarantee a job, but having a job would be a good way to fulfill the requirements of the DREAM order in order to permanently stay. He can't force companies to hire nor can he force congress to release funds for job training, nor can he force banks who caused the recession to give out loans. I do know that many people got jobs in the green sector from investment which prevented the job market from being worse. I'm sure the dream order can actually be applied to immigrants of all backgrounds because it doesn't specify a group.

It does not guarantee a job..........

However it does assure upward mobility.............

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    I'm U.S.

Obama should do everything he can to fix the ills in the black community.................

Again......

He has done it with other "minority" groups..........

President Obama on Friday announced he was using his executive power to give some young illegal immigrants the right to stay longer in the United States

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/06/15/155106744/with-dream-order-obama-did-what-presidents-do-act-without-congress

From what a gather, the dream act doesn't guarantee a job, but having a job would be a good way to fulfill the requirements of the DREAM order in order to permanently stay. He can't force companies to hire nor can he force congress to release funds for job training, nor can he force banks who caused the recession to give out loans. I do know that many people got jobs in the green sector from investment which prevented the job market from being worse. I'm sure the dream order can actually be applied to immigrants of all backgrounds because it doesn't specify a group.

It does not guarantee a job..........

However it does assure upward mobility.............

At that point, you have the same mobility factors as anyone that is already a citizen if not less because you aren't a citizen yet. Still, there are many illegal Africans that can benefit from the DREAM Act. This is not to say that Mexicans aren't the primary target, but why wouldn't they be? We have Affirmative Action and many other tools that we can utilize but legislature can't be exclusive to one race unless you're a Native American. We damn sure have a larger chance then what we had during Jim Crow and Slavery, but the remaining factors are racial stereotypes which laws and decelerations can only do so much to eliminate.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    here's the thing, much like a lot of the blow hards in the Conservative media, there are just as many black folk

that pretty much want to freely "hate on" Obama solely for the purpose of hating on him
    in the poorly disguised form of constructive criticism.

which is why many of them get in a uproar anytime you contest their statements
    with research and facts regarding their position.

take this thread, has Obama failed black Americans on jobs;

I posted that he his indeed offered not 1 but 2-3 job creation bills and legislation to Congress.

All blocked/rejected.

that's not caping, that's telling the whole story.
  • a.mann
    edited May 2013
    Options
    if someone takes issue with you presenting more information on a situation,
    that's contrary to their position
    it's safe to concluded that, their intention was to be "disingenuous"
    as to why they are criticizing a person.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I have so many questions.

Like what's the deal? He suppose hold ? hands through life? ? want a president or a baby sitter? Black American's fail themselves waiting on some "savior" to change the world. Maybe I need to find me a hustle that preys on that. It really seems to work out here.

But since when has bringing jobs back home been about uplifting black folks? How's that, or the president, suppose to help a person that won't return and finish school? Jail and fine ? that don't graduate? More aggressive equal of opportunity laws? When did he make a vow to help black people anyway? How's he suppose to stop a racist from being racist? Is he suppose to cure racism? Exactly what is he suppose to do, for black people? Have our backs? You think he'd really be there if that was aim? Dude can't talk to his own white staff without his ? expression making headlines somewhere. How he gonna single out blacks to uplift and get away with it? It's like this guy is suppose to be black Jesus and y'all wondering why he ain't doing miracles.

I thought he was just a president.

• bambu
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    here's the thing, much like a lot of the blow hards in the Conservative media, there are just as many black folk

that pretty much want to freely "hate on" Obama solely for the purpose of hating on him
    in the poorly disguised form of constructive criticism.

which is why many of them get in a uproar anytime you contest their statements
    with research and facts regarding their position.

take this thread, has Obama failed black Americans on jobs;

I posted that he his indeed offered not 1 but 2-3 job creation bills and legislation to Congress.

All blocked/rejected.

that's not caping, that's telling the whole story.
    if someone takes issue with you presenting more information on a situation,
    that's contrary to their position
    it's safe to concluded that, their intention was to be "disingenuous"
    as to why they are criticizing a person.

LOL.......

I got banned for telling the whole story.............

Ya'll are really some Obama Stans, huh.......

Again......

The original story comes from the Root.com........

I take no issue to anyone posting in this thread.......

However....

You should not be surprised when your information is countered with contrary evidence...........

Regarding powers associated with the commander in chief.......

And some of those policies are the stuff of history books, whether it was Obama's immediate predecessor signing an executive order authorizing warrantless surveillance by the National Security Agency following Sept. 11 or, going back decades earlier, President Harry S. Truman's racial integration of the military by executive order. President Abraham Lincoln used his executive power to sign the Emancipation Proclamation while President Thomas Jefferson used his for the Louisiana Purchase. And there were members of Congress who expressed outrage each and every time.

• a.mann
    edited May 2013
    Options
    see?

explain exactly how is it being a "Obama Stan"

when it is merely being pointed out that he has offered proposals for jobs creation
    and that as President he has limited powers in that particular regard, without Congressional Approval?
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I'm no obama apologist but its obvious Republicans intend on running in 2016 on how ? the economy is and that's it, they almost got away with it during the 2012 election. The public has a short attention span, anything this Congress does is forgotten within a month but Obama & the Democrats will be held accountable for it during the elections.

Paul Ryan is already blaming the sequester (which is costing thousands of people their jobs and increasing unemployment) on Obama even though Ryan himself co-wrote it.

All that said Obama COULD do more. For starters he needs to be more vocal about Congress being uncooperative, he has political capital and he needs to start using it. I don't expect him to turn into FDR overnight but if he really cared he should be using his soapbox to speak on it.

With the way some of these states have been set up, how quickly they are changing their voting access and how they disperse electoral college votes its almost certain that Republican rule is on the horizon. A lot of these "Blue states" are locked up, like here in Michigan where Republicans gerrymandered the ? out of the state to their advantage, busted unions and basically do whatever they want. Republicans shouldn't be the majority in the house right now but because of gerrymandering they are and that was set up on the state level. That's why this ? is called "political science".

I disagree with @Sion about America's best days being ahead of it, I think this ? will only get worse. When you have large swaths of college grads with an uncertain future and incredible debt you have problems on a structural level. A college grad isn't one of these HS drop outs but when poverty is trickling up, like it is now, you'll see frustration. How do you explain that Wall Street is up to all-time hights to those who did everything right and still can't make it? That's not gonna fly but it won't be until Republicans take over on a national level where you see the eruptions that have been happening in the individual states.

Most slept on post of this thread.

• bambu
    Options
    see?

explain exactly how is it being a "Obama Stan"

when it is merely being pointed out that he has offered proposals for jobs creation
    and that as President he has limited powers in that particular regard, without Congressional Approval?

Hey

You went on a rant with all the "disingenuous" ? ........

I merely made a poll off of a news blog.........

And suggested that the Obama administration could do more regarding the lopsided unemployment associated with African Americans.........

Again.........

Regarding powers associated with the commander in chief.......

And some of those policies are the stuff of history books, whether it was Obama's immediate predecessor signing an executive order authorizing warrantless surveillance by the National Security Agency following Sept. 11 or, going back decades earlier, President Harry S. Truman's racial integration of the military by executive order. President Abraham Lincoln used his executive power to sign the Emancipation Proclamation while President Thomas Jefferson used his for the Louisiana Purchase. And there were members of Congress who expressed outrage each and every time.

• a.mann
    Options
    is DREAM ACT a jobs bill?
  • Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? OBAMA

TRUE STORY

I LOVE HIS WIFE THO
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No. It was a refusal to do what he is authorized to do:

"President Obama's announcement Friday that he
    is using his executive authority to defer
    deportation proceedings for young immigrants
    who entered the U.S. illegally but meet certain
    requirements was just the latest example of the
    president's use of his power to act without
    Congress on policy issues.
  • bambu
    Options

No........

It was an executive order........

"And some of those policies are the stuff of history books, whether it was Obama's immediate predecessor signing an executive order authorizing warrantless surveillance by the National Security Agency following Sept. 11 or, going back decades earlier, President Harry S. Truman's racial integration of the military by executive order. President Abraham Lincoln used his executive power to sign the Emancipation Proclamation while President Thomas Jefferson used his for the Louisiana Purchase. And there were members of Congress who expressed outrage each and every time."

• a.mann
    Options
    Are we discussing jobs creation or immigration?
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those 2 topics go hand in hamd, especially talkin about Black folk..
  • bambu
    Options

We were discussing jobs.........

The dream act is merely an example of the power associated with executive orders.............

What is stopping him from doing the same thing with jobs that he did for immigration?????

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    We were discussing jobs.........

The dream act is merely an example of the power associated with executive orders.............

What is stopping him from doing the same thing with jobs that he did for immigration?????

I think it's far more complicated to create jobs and use a powers act to do so. Conscription is a war powers act which would be frowned upon by everyone so he can't force people into government jobs. He can't force people to hire, he can't use money that isn't already allocated. The Dream statement isn't costing anything additional. Actually it's saving because there are less resources allocated to chasing down immigrants. Those immigrants have to fend for themselves and add to the economy.

Most of the things bush did were related to war and security. A large portion of the country is already talking succession and revolt and don't trust him and he promised not to abuse such powers like Bush did. Look at all the flack he got just for the Dream deceleration which was only extending allowances rather then granting anything. He tried to force banks into giving loans and playing fair but obviously their lawyers are worth the price. What do you suggest? You can't think that every situation can be handled the same. I mean that is true to anything in life.
  • a.mann
    edited May 2013
    Options

Where is the "Gang of 8" on job creation for black people?

Or its conceded that the elected officials in Congress have no responsibilities on that?
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why the ? do we care about ? without a highschool diploma,if you chose to drop out to
    chill with dumb ? on the corner its your own fault.

at the end of the day aint nothing you can really do about job discrimination
    affirmative action has only been marginally effective,blacks should start spending money
    in they own communities and acquiring job skills that are in high demand. and get as much money out of the government with contracts,but Obama cant baby sit everry corporation to make sure they dont discriminate
  • bambu
    Options
    why the ? do we care about ? without a highschool diploma,if you chose to drop out to

Well.....

As an educator........

I refuse to give up on "dumb ? "......

Maybe I should tho'.........

• politicalthug202
    Options

Well.....

As an educator........

Im not saying people shouldnt try to educate them,I just dont understand how its any politicians
    fault,that somebody drops out of school. Now you can blame politicians to a certain degree forthe quality
    of the diploma,but you should have decent lieracy and matematics skills if you just paid attention
  • bambu
    Options

Well.....

As an educator........

Im not saying people shouldnt try to educate them,I just dont understand how its any politicians
    fault,that somebody drops out of school. Now you can blame politicians to a certain degree forthe quality
    of the diploma,but you should have decent lieracy and matematics skills if you just paid attention

I agree.....

However when it comes to the community as a whole, it gets more complicated.............

There is still legislation needed to balance all the discriminatory policies that were established against African Americans..........

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got a better job than i had last year so yea he helped my black ass

thanks obeezy
  • politicalthug202
    Options

Well.....

As an educator........

I agree.....

However when it comes to the community as a whole, it gets more complicated.............

There is still legislation needed to balance all the discriminatory policies that were established against African Americans..........

See at some point the government cant solve everyything people like being around people
    they comfortable with. Affirmative action only has had a marginal affect,and welfare only helps up to a certain level
    and welfare probably causes as many problems as it solves