The Official 2013-2014 College Football Thread

Options

Comments

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/experts/article?offset=3&urn=urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,lego:19780928:top,article,0bb6b81e-a1c5-3577-8b2c-650b5e79e715-l:1&.ts=1377565994&.intl=US&.lang=en

Recruiting is a huge focus in the book, ranging from the rise of 7-on-7 teams, the task of NCAA investigators trying to control things and even a chapter on the pursuit of Sealy (Texas) High School star Ricky Seals-Jones.

Seals-Jones, once a Texas commit who wound up signing with Texas A&M last February, and his family open themselves up to the entire process. The juiciest part is an alleged offer to the Jones family from a "top-20 program" – not A&M – for the following: $300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family.

"Oh, it was higher than that," Chester Jones, Ricky's dad said. "It was a lot higher than that." Chester Jones said the offers grew as high as $600,000 for his son's signature on a national letter of intent – one SEC school and one ACC school said they'd double any offer – but he declined them all out of principle and the fear of inevitably getting caught.

ACC school....gotta be Clemson.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope it ain't LSU
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/experts/article?offset=3&urn=urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,lego:19780928:top,article,0bb6b81e-a1c5-3577-8b2c-650b5e79e715-l:1&.ts=1377565994&.intl=US&.lang=en

Recruiting is a huge focus in the book, ranging from the rise of 7-on-7 teams, the task of NCAA investigators trying to control things and even a chapter on the pursuit of Sealy (Texas) High School star Ricky Seals-Jones.

Seals-Jones, once a Texas commit who wound up signing with Texas A&M last February, and his family open themselves up to the entire process. The juiciest part is an alleged offer to the Jones family from a "top-20 program" – not A&M – for the following: $300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family.

"Oh, it was higher than that," Chester Jones, Ricky's dad said. "It was a lot higher than that." Chester Jones said the offers grew as high as $600,000 for his son's signature on a national letter of intent – one SEC school and one ACC school said they'd double any offer – but he declined them all out of principle and the fear of inevitably getting caught.

lol. smh. Nikkas have no shame no more. I'm sure Auburn, Ole Miss, or MSU was the SEC squad.

ACC was probably clemson or miami. Miami ain't scared of the NCAA. They've done enough ? to have their entire sports program shut down for a decade but all they get is a frowney-face sticker err time.

I knew something was up when he switched from texass. He had overrated top texass recruit written all over him.
  • infamous114
    Options
    LMAO hell no it wasn't us. We don't even have that type of money to be giving to a recruit. We'd be using that money to upgrade our facilities.
  • greenwood1921
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Even worse is the story of the University of Missouri student-athlete tutoring culture, which is paramount in keeping players eligible for competition. "The System" lays out the profoundly bad idea of college girls being paired with football and basketball players – who are often academically disinterested and physically exhausted – for apparently lightly supervised one-on-one work.

The result: an environment of sexually provocative conversations; rampant hook-ups; tutors just doing the athletes' schoolwork themselves; and, most terribly, in the case of star running back Derrick Washington, a 2010 sexual assault of his clean-cut, serious-minded tutor that sent him to prison.

The victim in that case spoke publicly for the first time to the authors and revealed her horrifying ordeal while blowing up the entire system. Washington, his parents and other key witnesses also spoke candidly about what went wrong at Mizzou.

lol @ WillyMo and Spoon smashing their snowbunny tutors.

Brings new meaning to "Spoon" and "Willymo Always Ready"

sean-weatherspoon-is-your-boo-o.gif

sean_weatherspoon_2008_12_29.jpg

Spoon start singing to them hoes, then WillyMo start spittin' bars... it's a wrap.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Oh, it was higher than that," Chester Jones, Ricky's dad said. "It was a lot higher than that." Chester Jones said the offers grew as high as $600,000 for his son's signature on a national letter of intent – one SEC school and one ACC school said they'd double any
    offer – but he declined them all
    out of principle and the fear of inevitably getting caught.

LOL @ turning down 600 racks because "your scared to get caught". Not to mention it makes no sense to pay that kinda guap for a player of his stature. Dude wasnt even the best player in his class or even a 5 star according to most services. If thats the case a dude like Leonard Fournette is about to be a millionaire before he even step foot on campus.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

"Oh, it was higher than that," Chester Jones, Ricky's dad said. "It was a lot higher than that." Chester Jones said the offers grew as high as $600,000 for his son's signature on a national letter of intent – one SEC school and one ACC school said they'd double any
    offer – but he declined them all
    out of principle and the fear of inevitably getting caught.

LOL @ turning down 600 racks because "your scared to get caught". Not to mention it makes no sense to pay that kinda guap for a player of his stature. Dude wasnt even the best player in his class or even a 5 star according to most services. If thats the case a dude like Leonard Fournette is about to be a millionaire before he even step foot on campus.

The higher ranked recruits just get more than 600 racks. *shrug*

• greenwood1921
    Options
    LMAO hell no it wasn't us. We don't even have that type of money to be giving to a recruit. We'd be using that money to upgrade our facilities.

Almost all this "money" comes from boosters and "friends of the program". Miami knows all about that.

"Doo Doo Brown!"
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    • Also speaking publicly for the first time is Lacey Pearl Earps – the infamous Tennessee recruiting hostess dubbed "The Closer" by Volunteer coaches for her ability to connect with top high school players.

Earps details the bizarre system of the hostess business, where pretty, personable, well-trained college women are used as bait to lure top talent. Even if they don't have physical relationships with high school players (and some certainly do), they are encouraged to engage in at least pseudo romantic relationships through social media, text and Skype for months on end. All of this comes with the approval and encouragement of athletic department officials and highly paid coaches.

"Our job was to flirt with them," Earps said.

At one point, Bryce Brown, a running back from Kansas and the No. 1 recruit in America, told then-Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin he wanted to make a last-minute unofficial visit to Knoxville. Kiffin called Earps, who had hosted Brown during a previous visit and was in near constant contact with him.

"I asked [Brown] what he wanted to do," Earps said Kiffin told her. "[Brown] said, 'Coach, all I want to do is hang out with Lacey.' So will you take him out?" When she agreed, Kiffin gave her $40 for expenses. She hung out with him for a couple days and he signed with the Vols.

The next fall, according to Earps, Kiffin strongly encouraged her and another hostess to make what turned out to be an NCAA-illegal visit to a high school football game in Duncan, S.C. It was there that the dolled-up UT coeds held a sign for some potential recruits, had their photo snapped and became the center of a New York Times' expose and an NCAA investigation.

While Earps said she was hung out to dry by the university and coaching staff when the scandal broke, it was Kiffin who applauded the idea of traveling 200 miles to the high school game while his brother-in-law, also an assistant coach, provided $40 in gas money for the trip. She says it was a common deal, where the hostesses were encouraged to do anything to draw in players, even obvious NCAA violations.

Earps insists she never had a physical relationship with a recruit, but acknowledges purposefully leading the players on. "These are high school boys," she said. "They have one thing on their mind."
  • infamous114
    Options

Almost all this "money" comes from boosters and "friends of the program". Miami knows all about that.

"Doo Doo Brown!"

Oh I'm definitely aware of that but the school has gone to crazy heights to make sure another Nevin Shapiro doesn't happen. Just checked this kid's recruiting profile...I don't even see any ACC schools that offered him and the only SEC team with an offer to him was LSU.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    That's the oldest trick in the book using pretty broads on campus. That's as old as prostitution.

When OU was recruiting my homeboy Ebi for basketball, Kelvin Sampson came to our High school twice with what had to be the two baddest black chicks from OU.

Called them "team managers".
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it wasnt us, boosters done cut 40% of our funding this year...Some of them really wanted Quitrino and others wanted smart. SO they took their pocketbooks and went home.

I bet it was Ole Miss, look at that class...
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    High-stakes recruiting is a circus, trust me. Have multiple homies that went thru that ? in 3 different sports.

Schools are good at keeping their hands clean too.

They set it up so that if anybody snitches or gets caught, it makes THAT person look worse than it does the school, because there's rarely a paper trail and it's just their word against the school.

My older sister used to date R.W. McQuarters...

r_w_mcquarters_2007_12_09.jpg

All I'ma say is the first time him and my sister and their friends went out, they were all packed in my sister's old Chevy Berretta. That's when they were all Juniors. And dude was bummie and his people lived in some apartments called "Seminole Hills." Which was like Tulsa's Cabrini Green. lol

The next time I seen him he was rolling in a brand new 5.0 Mustang, ironically a month after signing a L.O.I with Okey Lite.

Just sayin.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    ? let a school offer me and and my fam half a mil at 18......

I'm dancing like Deion in the must be the money vid.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    If a school was really gangster, they would offer a kid twice what a rival is offering in exchange for him playing for them *and* snitching on the rival program.

I bet that happens alot.
  • Livefromclayco
    Options
    I'd call a press conference just to do the money dance for 10 minutes straight with no interruptions lol

tumblr_m98evfANlm1rqlwzdo1_400.gif
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knee collector slid through Stillwater for a quick second....
    STILLWATER — Just before the start of the 2013 season, Oklahoma State has lost a key piece of its offensive line.

Devin Davis, the Cowboys' projected starter at left tackle, has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee and is likely out for the season, an OSU source told The Oklahoman.

The injury is a big blow to an offensive line that already enters the season with a fair amount of inexperience, following the departure of three seniors who started in 2012 in guards Lane Taylor and Jonathan Rush and center Evan Epstein.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Knee collector slid through Stillwater for a quick second....
    STILLWATER — Just before the start of the 2013 season, Oklahoma State has lost a key piece of its offensive line.

Devin Davis, the Cowboys' projected starter at left tackle, has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee and is likely out for the season, an OSU source told The Oklahoman.

The injury is a big blow to an offensive line that already enters the season with a fair amount of inexperience, following the departure of three seniors who started in 2012 in guards Lane Taylor and Jonathan Rush and center Evan Epstein.

2u8bfps.jpg
  • GetMoneyInDaN.O.
    GetMoneyInDaN.O. Members Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That havin hoes ? to get recruuuuits beeeeeeeeeen happenin....? they gave my boy 2 blue eyed fake ? white ? during his auburn trip......might be anotha reason he chose them

And I. Can believe the Sampson story cuz he recruited a ? from the N.O. who went to the K.....dude actually balled out at ou......and he was kool wit my brothers and said dude tol them bout them hoes
  • GetMoneyInDaN.O.
    GetMoneyInDaN.O. Members Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably not the same ? though
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    High-stakes recruiting is a circus, trust me. Have multiple homies that went thru that ? in 3 different sports.

Schools are good at keeping their hands clean too.

They set it up so that if anybody snitches or gets caught, it makes THAT person look worse than it does the school, because there's rarely a paper trail and it's just their word against the school.

My older sister used to date R.W. McQuarters...

r_w_mcquarters_2007_12_09.jpg

All I'ma say is the first time him and my sister and their friends went out, they were all packed in my sister's old Chevy Berretta. That's when they were all Juniors. And dude was bummie and his people lived in some apartments called "Seminole Hills." Which was like Tulsa's Cabrini Green. lol

The next time I seen him he was rolling in a brand new 5.0 Mustang, ironically a month after signing a L.O.I with Okey Lite.

Just sayin.

Man all the schools pay.... U seen many a car and hundred dollar hand shake at Bama... Ncaa just picks and chooses
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad USC and our clean cut coach Lane Kiffin don't partake in these shameful shenanigans.
  • infamous114
    Options
    benjamin.jpg

3 Travis Benjamin days left.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Robert+Woods+Colorado+v+USC+5HQ86rDRXF1l.jpg

Rob Woods Days left til kickoff.
  • Livefromclayco