• G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some super smooth nyquil type ? I made like a month ago lol
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kellmill wrote: »
    Always wanted to dip into producing but don't really know how to get started. How did yall start?

Back in '91, I started writing rhymes. I was spittin over instrumentals and pause tapes I made by catching breaks and looping them over and over. Eventually, I got tired of it and would take records and tapes up to my uncle's crib in Bay City (approx 120 miles from Detroit) to have him sample it on his Roland W30 and make beats with 'em. One of my boy's pops bought him and his cousin a small recording suite (w/MPC60, ASR-10 rack, fx, ADAT's, a Yamaha W7, Tascam console, and some other ? ) so I went over there to get my ? chopped and whatnot. While I was there, my boy's cousin showed me how to do it myself as well as sequencing with the MPC. At this point, I had already worked with a MIDI sequencer on my own Atari ST computer making a lil Techno and House, but doing it without being able to visualize it was completely new to me.

I took off from there.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    What's everybody technique & steps when making a beat?

*snoop dogg voice* The reason ain't got love nh for T. Sanford?

lol, i normally try to find a sound and create a lil melody, then add some of the drums, then more layers to the sound, then construct the hook and verses, i use to be able to do it pretty quick but now a days i take my time, could take anywhere from an hour to some days for me to truly finish a beat
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as synth power goes reason dominates imo. Thor is limitless.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    As far as synth power goes reason dominates imo. Thor is limitless.

meh, Synthmaker >>>>>>>>>> Thor. That's true power.
  • G.Avant
    Options
    Alright I done decided to try to take off with this ? and I have alot of questions about the business side of things.

If I sell a beat exclusively can I still collect royalties and if so how do you even begin to go about it? You know like if I sale a beat exclusively and they blow up with it.

You're definitely due royalties on a lease right?

I know on an exclusive the responsibility to clear samples is on the purchaser, but on a lease it's on me right?

Do I need to copyright all my music through the gov to make sure it's legit or just save the original file to the music?

• konceptjones
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »
    Alright I done decided to try to take off with this ? and I have alot of questions about the business side of things.

If I sell a beat exclusively can I still collect royalties and if so how do you even begin to go about it? You know like if I sale a beat exclusively and they blow up with it.

Your contract with the rapper/label should include points on the back end as well as a 50/50 split on publishing. If the song gets big, you can get paid off of it for a long time.

Stop leasing beats.
    I know on an exclusive the responsibility to clear samples is on the purchaser, but on a lease it's on me right?

no... seriously, stop leasing beats.
    Do I need to copyright all my music through the gov to make sure it's legit or just save the original file to the music?

https://eco.copyright.gov/eService_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Start&SWEHo=eco.copyright.gov

^^^ Go there, sign up, copyright EVERYTHING you do as soon as possible. It's easier and cheaper to take a collection of beats and copyright them that way than individually.
  • G.Avant
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »

Your contract with the rapper/label should include points on the back end as well as a 50/50 split on publishing. If the song gets big, you can get paid off of it for a long time.

Stop leasing beats.

no... seriously, stop leasing beats.

https://eco.copyright.gov/eService_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Start&SWEHo=eco.copyright.gov

^^^ Go there, sign up, copyright EVERYTHING you do as soon as possible. It's easier and cheaper to take a collection of beats and copyright them that way than individually.

Thanks man appreciate it, but why should leases be avoided like the plague though? lol
  • LUClEN
    Options
    synthmaker sounds 8 bit
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how exactly would u go about negotiating the contract with the rapper/label, and back end points and things like that
  • konceptjones
    Options
    synthmaker sounds 8 bit

only if you don't understand the inner workings of a synth.
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's everybody technique & steps when making a beat?

Well, 1st I put 1 in the air then go thru some records, find a break & cut it

add drums, snares, claps, hi-hats, cymbals, synths, ect.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So IC producers, what ? y'all using? I'm tryna get ahold of a maschine before I head to college in the fall

Maschine & komplete 9 ultimate

• poindexter2
    Options
    Omnisphere>>>>>>
  • poindexter2
    Options
    how exactly would u go about negotiating the contract with the rapper/label, and back end points and things like that
    A split sheet and a publishing company set up with ascap, bmi, sesac etc.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Omnisphere>>>>>>

a rich guy eh
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    So IC producers, what ? y'all using? I'm tryna get ahold of a maschine before I head to college in the fall

Maschine & komplete 9 ultimate

Cant go wrong with any DAW combined with Komplete 9 Ultimate.
  • poindexter2
    Options
    Omnisphere>>>>>>

a rich guy eh

nah just a guy who sacrificed a lot to buy all my ? lol
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are some good monitors/speakers, looking to step my beats up
  • BarryHalls
    Options
    I just whipped up this Dr. Dre style beat. Peep game

• BarryHalls
    Options

I dont know your price range but if you want something excellent for under $400 each, check out the Yamaha HS80M
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »

I dont know your price range but if you want something excellent for under $400 each, check out the Yamaha HS80M

ill look into that
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Right now, I have M-Audio Studiophile SP-5B's for monitors. I've had 'em since 2002. I'd look at M-Audio BX5's, Alesis Monitor One's, or Tannoy Reveal's.

When you go to audition monitors, take a CD of your own material to the shop with you and use it as a reference.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right now, I have M-Audio Studiophile SP-5B's for monitors. I've had 'em since 2002. I'd look at M-Audio BX5's, Alesis Monitor One's, or Tannoy Reveal's.

When you go to audition monitors, take a CD of your own material to the shop with you and use it as a reference.

I agree with auditioning them, but you shouldn't take your own material as a reference. You should take a professionals mixed & mastered record that you know like the back of your hand (I use Dre's 2001 as a reference when I audition monitors). You should be aiming to have tracks that sound as polished and defined as the reference. Unless your an A class mixing engineer, I'd say don't use your own.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »

I agree with auditioning them, but you shouldn't take your own material as a reference. You should take a professionals mixed & mastered record that you know like the back of your hand (I use Dre's 2001 as a reference when I audition monitors). You should be aiming to have tracks that sound as polished and defined as the reference. Unless your an A class mixing engineer, I'd say don't use your own.

that ? clean nuh