The IC Beatmaking/Producing Thread

Options

Comments

• G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check me out doe. It's good to see this thread still has a pulse.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

your loops wouldnt be that bad, if your drums didnt confuse me sometimes with the switches
  • Roster Player #99
    Options
    Brian B. wrote: »
    brianb.bandcamp.com/album/all-love

another beat tape I put together

wouldnt have dropped a beat tape with a single fully on it....makes listening a little mundane if you ask m....tight concept tho and the ? rides...
  • G.Avant
    Options
    literally like 5 minutes ago doe....

http://snd.sc/18rXXrY

That sample in the beginning is dope and that's D'Angelo when the beat drops right? I know some of yall top secret with the samples tho lol. Also only thing I'd say that was awkward to me was how the vocal chops were used.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G.Avant wrote: »

Dope track @G.Avant

That Bass! Keep it up.
  • G.Avant
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »

Dope track @G.Avant

That Bass! Keep it up.

Definitely, appreciate it man.
  • Roster Player #99
    Options

That sample in the beginning is dope and that's D'Angelo when the beat drops right? I know some of yall top secret with the samples tho lol. Also only thing I'd say that was awkward to me was how the vocal chops were used.

word man, yea thats "Untitled (How Does It Feel)", I been wantin to mess with that for a while so I just did it. the joint at the beginning....I'll give the name of the song: "Heaven Is"...dont wanna give the artist, unless somebody knows it....

although I would like to hear how you'd flip it...if you want I can up it and you flip it to see what you mean
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are MPCs worth it in 2013 over Maschine, DAWs and MPDs?

Depends on how you work.

An MPC isn't tied to a computer. Sometimes you just might not feel like ? around with a computer at all when you're making music. I know I sometime wish I had an ASR-X strictly for making hip hop joints and honestly, I just might buy one in a few months if I can find the right one.

? 2 birds with 1 stone and hook the mpc up to the pc thru midi ... so you wont have to depend on saving your tracks to the mpc ... makes beats using the mpc while using your computer for hardrive space for saving and loading sounds .....
  • antarticp
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    Are MPCs worth it in 2013 over Maschine, DAWs and MPDs?

Depends on how you work.

An MPC isn't tied to a computer. Sometimes you just might not feel like ? around with a computer at all when you're making music. I know I sometime wish I had an ASR-X strictly for making hip hop joints and honestly, I just might buy one in a few months if I can find the right one.

but with a computer you can get the usb compatible hardware if you dont like using a pc ... just use my pc to edit i have an m-audio usb keyboard to do my notes ... they even have one that looks just like an mpc .... and ? if you savy enuff you can connect you mpc to the computer software as well ........

That's the problem for some people: That the controller is tied to a PC/Mac at all is something some cats don't always want.

Give you an example: There have been times when I was riding the bus where I just wanted to pull out the Axiom Air 32 and ? with some beats, but because the controller does nothing without the software, this is not possible. Right now, if you want to make beats on the go without a PC/Mac, your only real option is the MPC500, which is battery powered. The limitation, though, is that it's still a drum/sample/sequencing machine. If you're the type of producer that uses more instrumentation, you're pretty much ? . You have no choice but to lug around a laptop and controller for on-the-go creation.

lol lugging around a laptop > mpc .... come on son you making it sound like an mpc is the size of an nintendo ds ... there is no comparison when your talking mobile production ... PC is the best route ... lighter and more robust as far as being able to do the complete production from beginning to end ......
  • antarticp
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »
    bkkbully wrote: »
    heres my latest song. written, produced, & mixed by myself

& the music video for it lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EzGh9E-Kus

i expect to see you on the next episode of deon coles black box lol

good ? ? but the visuals is mad wild in this video lol

whats the concept ?? yall blocked eyes out and ? lol and then the location ... ? is kind of out there lol

thanks for the feedback man. appreciate that. lol yeah the visuals are a litttle bit out there.

but hey thats what works no a days ... much success to ya
  • antarticp
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    One of my latest songs (I had it in my sig before, but I re-recorded and mixed it). Also worked on this beat on the train.

ha ha dope mane
  • antarticp
    edited July 2013
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    Kellmill wrote: »
    Always wanted to dip into producing but don't really know how to get started. How did yall start?

moms bought me a cheap casio keyboard for my birthday for some reason (never once said i wanted that ? ), it had 5 recordable tracks on it. No loop function, no quantize, nothing....if i wanted to record a 64 bar drum pattern, i had to literally play the whole 64 bars....and ? there was only 5 tracks, i couldnt track out a snare on one track a kick on another and a hihat on the third, ? id only have two tracks left to record on for that song .....
    i had to learn how to play that ? all at once on one track.

thats why i think i have a good understanding of rhythm, ? i not to sound cliche but i learned how to do that ? from the basics...or atleast the basics of my generation.

anyone looking to get into production now has it easy ? you dont need to learn about rhythm, on the spot arrangement, live effects and and ? , you can just use your mouse to plot in drum patterns, melody lines, bass lines, etc, you got that automation to do everything..... and i say that but even I after all my learning have become lazy ? ableton allows me to do all that ? without actually doing it.
    and im also not knocking producers of this generation (up and coming or certified) ? there is some banging production happening right now.

my main advice is to learn the core basics of the genre you want to be a part of and then work from there...wether that means getting a casio keyboard with only 5 tracks, or using a maschine but learning that ? inside out....step by step, lil by lil.

also there is nothing wrong with recreating your favourite tracks...? thats how you get an understanding for how the greats do it and then incorporating that method into your own workflow.

just my opinion

imo with out those basics you couldnt even work the software that does most of it for you ... you still have to build a level understanding before you make beats that you are comfortable enuff to let people hear or better yet sell to someone ... you just cant jump on any of these programs from day 1 and sound like dr dre by the end of the night ....

its easy but it aint that easy ........... if it is either your some kind of musical freak of nature or your coming into this with some kind of background experience ....

• antarticp
    Options
    r.prince18 wrote: »
    I just started making beats but here one i just made
    -clap

hey better than some of my first joints @least its on beat lol ... keep working on it tho ...
  • antarticp
    Options
    Some super smooth nyquil type ? I made like a month ago lol

not too shabby mane ... beat build takes a lil too long but i think thats what you were going for ..... def like the mood of this joint i could drop a few 16s on here
  • antarticp
    Options
    Alright I done decided to try to take off with this ? and I have alot of questions about the business side of things.

If I sell a beat exclusively can I still collect royalties and if so how do you even begin to go about it? You know like if I sale a beat exclusively and they blow up with it.

You're definitely due royalties on a lease right?

I know on an exclusive the responsibility to clear samples is on the purchaser, but on a lease it's on me right?

Do I need to copyright all my music through the gov to make sure it's legit or just save the original file to the music?

consult a lawyer lol your gonna need contracts
  • antarticp
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »
    I just whipped up this Dr. Dre style beat. Peep game

pretty dope mane ....
  • antarticp
    Options
    Ben E wrote: »
    Haven't posted here in a minute but shout out to T/S for this thread. I've used Cakewalk, Logic and Audacity in the past, but I've been ? with plain ol' Garageband a lot lately...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1GMTblb6k

I chopped up this video for this track I produced for my mixtape I'm trying to finish by the end of the year... Holla at me if you need some video editing done... The audio is only coming out of one channel, but that was because of a glitch the video software and not the track... also....

@therecanonlybeone
    @Batman.

mr metoo ... thats all im using garage band and i got a usb maudio keyboard that i rarely use due to space lol ... but i got mad people trying to convince me to move over to logic ... which imo looks almost identical to garage band ... and i might make that move cause i can load all my garage band ? into logic but i cant move all my logic ? into garageband .......................... but havent done it just yet ...... not really too pressed until i get a bigger space to work in lol ....

oh and dope beat .....

• Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

wouldnt have dropped a beat tape with a single fully on it....makes listening a little mundane if you ask m....tight concept tho and the ? rides...

Preciate that, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "beat tape w/ single fully on it" lol

Are you talkin bout having the whole beat instead of a snippet or somethin?
  • Roster Player #99
    Options

Preciate that, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "beat tape w/ single fully on it" lol

yea, because ? can jack your ? still, if your intent was to keep them safe.

• G.Avant
    Options
    Alright I done decided to try to take off with this ? and I have alot of questions about the business side of things.

If I sell a beat exclusively can I still collect royalties and if so how do you even begin to go about it? You know like if I sale a beat exclusively and they blow up with it.

You're definitely due royalties on a lease right?

I know on an exclusive the responsibility to clear samples is on the purchaser, but on a lease it's on me right?

Do I need to copyright all my music through the gov to make sure it's legit or just save the original file to the music?

consult a lawyer lol your gonna need contracts

Haha yeah man I done did a lot of research since then and have a good understanding of most of these concepts now. Still need to see a lawyer of course though to make sure everything is solid.
  • G.Avant
    Options

word man, yea thats "Untitled (How Does It Feel)", I been wantin to mess with that for a while so I just did it. the joint at the beginning....I'll give the name of the song: "Heaven Is"...dont wanna give the artist, unless somebody knows it....

although I would like to hear how you'd flip it...if you want I can up it and you flip it to see what you mean

Yeah man I'd def like to check that sample out.
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yea, because ? can jack your ? still, if your intent was to keep them safe.

Aight I feel ya, but ? its all love (hence the name lol)

folks can do as they please w/ the beats

I jus love makin & listenin to music
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ben E wrote: »
    Haven't posted here in a minute but shout out to T/S for this thread. I've used Cakewalk, Logic and Audacity in the past, but I've been ? with plain ol' Garageband a lot lately...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1GMTblb6k

I chopped up this video for this track I produced for my mixtape I'm trying to finish by the end of the year... Holla at me if you need some video editing done... The audio is only coming out of one channel, but that was because of a glitch the video software and not the track... also....

@therecanonlybeone
    @Batman.

mr metoo ... thats all im using garage band and i got a usb maudio keyboard that i rarely use due to space lol ... but i got mad people trying to convince me to move over to logic ... which imo looks almost identical to garage band ... and i might make that move cause i can load all my garage band ? into logic but i cant move all my logic ? into garageband .......................... but havent done it just yet ...... not really too pressed until i get a bigger space to work in lol ....

oh and dope beat .....

Garage Band is basically "Logic Lite" lol

• Roster Player #99
    Options

Yeah man I'd def like to check that sample out.

just so we clear, I was talkin about uppin the D'Angelo joint so you can flip it so I can see what you mean. I found it interesting you and my wife said that same thing about the vocal part