The IC Beatmaking/Producing Thread

Options

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm thinking it's time to go back to a nearly all hardware setup. I've been peepin out videos on youtube on some of the stuff I used to own and I'm pretty convinced that I barely scratched the surface of what could be done with even the ? of the hardware I had. Besides... I'm getting tired of doing everything on a computer. I'll keep a computer for sequencing, but that's it.

I'mma start a thread in the Fresh Produce about it in a few days.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm thinking it's time to go back to a nearly all hardware setup. I've been peepin out videos on youtube on some of the stuff I used to own and I'm pretty convinced that I barely scratched the surface of what could be done with even the ? of the hardware I had. Besides... I'm getting tired of doing everything on a computer. I'll keep a computer for sequencing, but that's it.

Nothing wrong with that. I have a Roland System-1 synth and I plan on buying a used Roland JX-8P from 1985 used. I even want to buy the Elektron Digitrakt and Analog Keys.
  • konceptjones
    Options

Nothing wrong with that. I have a Roland System-1 synth and I plan on buying a used Roland JX-8P from 1985 used. I even want to buy the Elektron Digitrakt and Analog Keys.

I'm talking even the recorder is gonna be hardware. At first I was thinking of copping a Fostex FD8 8 track:

fostex-fd-8-334763.jpg

I used to own the 4-track version of it, the FD4, and what I liked about it was the analog mixer it had. I like knobs, and the FD4 had plenty for me to twiddle. I've since changed to copping a 16 track joint by either Yamaha or Roland, but I'm leaning more towards the Yamaha stuff 'cause all of the old AW series has motorized faders and that ? is invaluable for recording.

I have old copies of Cubase VST and Logic for the PC, which would allow me to use an old P3 as a sequencer and master clock for the whole setup.

I used to have a decent hardware setup years ago. Plenty of fx, compressors by Alesis and dbx, at one point three drum machines (Roland R8, R8 mk II, and R5), a grip of sound modules by Yamaha, Alesis, Roland, and as many as 8 keyboards. I'm not going that big again 'cause the experience I've gained over the years would allow me to make it happen with a much smaller rig.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R2_163 wrote: »
    any logic users?

it seems everyone is on their fl flow now

I need to upgrade the RAM on my mac so I can actually use my ? without it lagging like a mfer

I've had logic and a maschine for a few years but never got much use out of either because I use my macbook for everything

you guys usin the new-ish Logic X or one of the older ones? I think mine is 9
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the thing with hardware setups is portability and sometimes durability. Its so easy to load VSTs and they travel well. I have the same notion to go all hardware, but it doesnt allow for much versatility down the line without trade-ins and trade-ups. So Im goin with robust hardware and software setup.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    where u get acapellas from?
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

I dig records and most of them got acapellas on them. I suggest you go to your local record shop because most hip hop/rap bin singles are usually 50 cents to a dollar per record.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    the thing with hardware setups is portability and sometimes durability. Its so easy to load VSTs and they travel well. I have the same notion to go all hardware, but it doesnt allow for much versatility down the line without trade-ins and trade-ups. So Im goin with robust hardware and software setup.

Portability isn't as much of a concern for me anymore. To be honest, though, portability was the sole reason I went virtual back in 2002. At that point I had two drum machines, 8 keyboards, a 5U flight case rack with fx processors and sound modules, two desktop sound modules (Yamaha TX7 and a Roland MT32), my Behringer 1604A mixer, turntables, and a grip of other ? . I had been married for a year and moving all of that ? out of my old apartment and into our condo when we moved together then getting it all set up only to move it again when we found out the owners of the condo didn't have permission to rent it out a few months later, pack it up, move it to a new crib only to have the Lebanese cat that owned the crib bounce back to Lebanon days after 9/11 and 'cause he defaulted on the loan we moved again in early 2002. All that moving meant to me that it was time to downsize 'cause I could easily spend a week setting all that ? up.

The whole point in going back to hardware is that I've lost a lot in the creative process; it's entirely too easy with VST's and FL Studio. Part of what made me think more creatively was working within the limitations of the hardware I had in front of me. Sampling in FL is a breeze, ? 's easy as ? even to do simple ? . Working with something like an Akai S2000, Emu ESI32, or going back a bit more a Roland S550 or W30 forces you to make different decisions about what and how you sample. Even harder is extracting dope ? out of something like a Yamaha SU10, Roland MS-1, Akai s20, or Akai S01. I have 2432982 VST plugins to do all sorts of ? , even some that emulate some of my old hardware (FM7 and FM8 will take sysex patches from my TX7 and TX81Z and Korg has plugins for M1 and Wavestation). There's something I'm missing and I believe it'll be found in the limitations of old hardware.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

acapellas4u.co.uk

You have to sign up, but you can get what you need.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any of y'all ever got with publishing administrations or signed a pub deal
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Here's some stuff I made on an ASR-10. I ran it through a Tascam Portastudio 488MKII and EQ'd it.

tascam-portastudio-488-mkii-226784.jpg

Then I recorded it onto Audacity. For the record, mac's are better than PCs for recording music because when you use Audacity (or any program) there's more features if you use a mac. For example if you want to go to effects on a PC there's about 15 things to choose from. But with a mac there's twice as many features when you click "Effects"

Here's the effects screen on a PC

Audacity05.gif

Here's the same screen on a mac

audacity-fade.jpg

Anyway, here's some stuff on my Soundcloud page

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • xxCivicxx