• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgVKpzzCDw

• mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Haven't posted a beat that I've made in a minute so...

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I broke a bad habit n my mixes have been better for it, using presets eqs n effects for sounds with out making adjustments
  • mosincredible
    Options
    I broke a bad habit n my mixes have been better for it, using presets eqs n effects for sounds with out making adjustments

Reason makes sure of that for me. Not many presets even there. Plus I watched a ton of videos of people using different software so I had to mimic their techniques and couldn't use presets to do it.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Haven't posted a beat that I've made in a minute so...

Yeaaaaa synth city ?
  • mosincredible
    Options
    I'm a synth ass ? lol

Beat I made a couple years ago...

• Fosheezy
    Options
    I'm a synth ass ? lol

Sick...yea the way you layer everything have it moving crazily, I like that.

I wish I knew how to use them like that. I like using them more for background textures white noise and leads melodies
  • mosincredible
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    I'm a synth ass ? lol

I wish I knew how to use them like that. I like using them more for background textures white noise and leads melodies

I find it crazy that for many years, I didn't mix at all. I just leveled. It wasn't until 2015 that I really started playing with EQ and effects. That was a big learning year for me.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Drumma Boy - Having Issac Hayes and Al Green in his house as a kid, How he did "Standing Ovation" a couple times before getting it right for Jeezy, Producing "No Hands" in 5 mins in packed room, Getting his name out, Gucci, Yo Gotti, Rocko, 2 Chains etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al5XV89GLq0&t=2s
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
  • Fosheezy
    Options
    I'm a synth ass ? lol

I find it crazy that for many years, I didn't mix at all. I just leveled. It wasn't until 2015 that I really started playing with EQ and effects. That was a big learning year for me.

EQ has been an essential tool for me for a long while now...especially for corrections, filtering. But i took me a while to understood the ways in which different EQs effect the source and sound different.

• Fosheezy
    Options
    I never upload anything, but I did this last year and just kept it tucked along with a few others but i decided it's not going to make the EP (whenever i finally finish)...so, I figured i'd upload....all synths, nothing major.

• mosincredible
    Options
    I never upload anything, but I did this last year and just kept it tucked along with a few others but i decided it's not going to make the EP (whenever i finally finish)...so, I figured i'd upload....all synths, nothing major.

Man this is beautiful. Smooth ? . Loved it
  • Fosheezy
    edited August 2017
    Options

Man this is beautiful. Smooth ? . Loved it

man i'm content with it, but i think the sound design is blah.... did like 10-15 different mixdowns of this before i was happy enough with this one...but then upon going back and listening to some of beginning mixdowns i did i almost felt like those were better. lol. i don't know if it was because less processing, better sound selection or what
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is really good. I think the more you learn about mixing, your joints will noticeably improve. Pay attention to the RMS for tracks like this, because spikes can trick you and make you think one thing when its really another. Also, buss compression or even master buss compression will fill your ? out too. But still, really dope ? .
  • Fosheezy
    Options

this is really good. I think the more you learn about mixing, your joints will noticeably improve. Pay attention to the RMS for tracks like this, because spikes can trick you and make you think one thing when its really another. Also, buss compression or even master buss compression will fill your ? out too. But still, really dope ? .

@Roster Player #99 Hey appreciate that brah. This is something i struggle with getting consistent results. I don't know if it's because my sound selection, if I need better tools for metering, if my monitoring need to be better calibrated or what. I just know I usually throw a limiter on my 2 bus with and I use compression on 2 bus also (but it's not hardware on this one). I use the stock metering plugins, but maybe there is one that's a bit more accurate that I need. You have any recommendation?
  • Roster Player #99
    edited September 2017
    Options

@Roster Player #99 Hey appreciate that brah. This is something i struggle with getting consistent results. I don't know if it's because my sound selection, if I need better tools for metering, if my monitoring need to be better calibrated or what. I just know I usually throw a limiter on my 2 bus with and I use compression on 2 bus also (but it's not hardware on this one). I use the stock metering plugins, but maybe there is one that's a bit more accurate that I need. You have any recommendation?

I think whatever you have should be sufficient. Like you said, a lot of it boils down to your sound selection and what frequency space they're using. Honestly my feedback was based on looking at your wav with listening on monitors so of course take what I say with a huge grain of salt. Because what you have now might be perfect due to the fact there aren't any vocals on it. With vocals it might fill out just right.

While I tend to stay away from putting anything on the 2 buss until my "mastering" stage, what you're doin with a limiter and compressor should be fine. So there's no real recommendation I can give you on metering plugs, stock joints should do the job. Really as long as you're averaging out around -6db to -3db headroom (pre-mastering) on on stock metering tools, you good for most engineers to get you a good mix.

* oh one thing I can recommend is having at least two sources for monitoring. Sans all the the treated room bs you hear. Learn your monitors and get a good pair of cans. See how they translate and then learn how to make em talk.
  • Fosheezy
    edited September 2017
    Options

I think whatever you have should be sufficient. Like you said, a lot of it boils down to your sound selection and what frequency space they're using. Honestly my feedback was based on looking at your wav with listening on monitors so of course take what I say with a huge grain of salt. Because what you have now might be perfect due to the fact there aren't any vocals on it. With vocals it might fill out just right.

While I tend to stay away from putting anything on the 2 buss until my "mastering" stage, what you're doin with a limiter and compressor should be fine. So there's no real recommendation I can give you on metering plugs, stock joints should do the job. Really as long as you're averaging out around -6db to -3db headroom (pre-mastering) on on stock metering tools, you good for most engineers to get you a good mix.

* oh one thing I can recommend is having at least two sources for monitoring. Sans all the the treated room bs you hear. Learn your monitors and get a good pair of cans. See how they translate and then learn how to make em talk.

Good ? . I was thinking more or less the same thing. I did try to leave it open enough for vocals like if a chick wanted to sing on it I know it would fill out even more.

I want to upgrade my monitor speakers but rocking with what i got for now, though i spent a lil bread on a pair of these in addition last Christmas:
    41xYKyml9JL._SY355_.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, i was hella surprised how accurate stuff translates from referencing off these, but i'm still not quite used to them and haven't learned them completely. I need to listen to way more material through them.
  • Roster Player #99
    Options

Good ? . I was thinking more or less the same thing. I did try to leave it open enough for vocals like if a chick wanted to sing on it I know it would fill out even more.

I want to upgrade my monitor speakers but rocking with what i got for now, though i spent a lil bread on a pair of these in addition last Christmas:
    41xYKyml9JL._SY355_.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, i was hella surprised how accurate stuff translates from referencing off these, but i'm still not quite used to them and haven't learned them completely. I need to listen to way more material through them.

Logo looks familiar but I can't think of the company. But goin A/B/A between your monitors and cans will calibrate your monitors too. I been rokit5's for years and just now breaking them in properly after buying some beyerdynamic cans. Headphone translation can take some getting used to but it's worth it.

• mosincredible
    Options

41xYKyml9JL._SY355_.jpg

Logo looks familiar but I can't think of the company. But goin A/B/A between your monitors and cans will calibrate your monitors too. I been rokit5's for years and just now breaking them in properly after buying some beyerdynamic cans. Headphone translation can take some getting used to but it's worth it.

Good ol Yamaha
  • Fosheezy
    Options
    Yea the Yamaha HPH-MT7's

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    one of my more recent productions/songs. tryna get some feedback on the beat mix and overall mix

https://www.audiomack.com/song/quiet-boy-millz/how-im-coming
  • Roster Player #99
    Options
    one of my more recent productions/songs. tryna get some feedback on the beat mix and overall mix

https://www.audiomack.com/song/quiet-boy-millz/how-im-coming

I couldnt download it (I dont think) but just listening, its mixed pretty good, especially in today's industry standards. Might've been seen some clipping tho. I think sounds are placed pretty well, a lot of stuff hung to the left pause, but overall balanced. One knock I would say is the vocals sounded a LITTLE bit scooped in the mids (like 900-1k range) but it couldve been the volume of the vocals being nominally lower than the beat.

I aint an engineer, I just half way study the ? for my own purpose so I cant even say my opinions are objective....but subjectively, Im sure this mix would be acceptable across a lot of formats.