The streets really don't have anybody right now.

Options

Comments

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ace Hood's bezel

His bezel literally hit the street
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had Plies until they found out he was a valedictorian and went to college...Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?

Now they have Sosa, Reese and them.
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had Plies until they found out he was a valedictorian and went to college...Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?

Nah. They rap from a street perspective but most of the hood ain't feelin' them. I think t/s is talking more of a Jeezy, DMX, 50 Cent, Death Row and the list goes on.

Tbh i think the closest is TDE, believe it or not. Only difference might be that they don't carry that street persona i suppose that they can relate to.
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Artists end up trying to be too street and get checked or have limited subject matter. There is no scarface type that can keep his integrity there no more reality rap....Its all about the dollar now sooner or later. Or you wont make it to a large audience
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    There's still plenty rap about the streets/trappin, etc. Mostly from the South but anybody knowledgable about rap know its plenty rappers rappin bout "the streets". The thing is, the streets are different. from like the 90s to like 08, everybody wanted to trap and "be in the streets". (luckily i knew better ahead of the curve). Now, it dont have the same luster. Its music people listen to in their rides, the club, and stuff. Its more entertainment than "the voice of the streets" because the culture is different today.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesnt matter The streets don't buy albums anyway.

White fans that buy and attend concerts>>>>>>>>the streets
  • SnuffDaddy
    edited July 2013
    Options
    At the end of the day everybody in here acting like y'all know why the streets ain't got nobody.

At the end of the day it's just that the street doesn't have a sound & the whole 9. That's it. That trap ? is old & is overused by everybody. Death Row came with a sound, Wu-Tang came with a sound, Ruff Ryders came with a sound, 50 came with a sound, Jeezy came with a sound etc.

Then after that it's the story, look & the whole 9. The game switches all the time.

@RichPorterOfTheIC

Are you trollin' or an idiot? How can you make that assumption? On what basis? Bootleg? Well, there's download. Are you saying 50's fans weren't mostly white? Are you saying that most Wu-Tang fans today aren't white? Who you think went to NWA shows back in the day?

I hate when people make that cop-out. The grass is greener on the other side ? that black people always do. There's more white people than black people in the states, so that assumption isn't even fair to say.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is this thread still goin...?
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    hnic1978 wrote: »
    The problems for years is that the "streets" had too much say so in the rap community. Now the element that we glorified for years is KILLING us and putting on you tube to show!!! We as black people are more than the streets and a lot don't relate to the ignorance anymore. Now the people that relate to that "street" ? are the people that are actually in the streets or the wannabes in the suburbs that find it "exciting."

Also.......YOU MUTHAFUCKAS SOUND THE SAME!!!!!! If you goto worldstarhiphop.com all the "street" rappers from any hood in the U.S. and they using the same beats and talkin bout the same ? !!!!!

Yup, the "streets" killed the concept of individuality and brainwashed people. Back in the day, the "streets" even dictated how a person walked and talked. Now that the streets influence is waning, people getting mad that black kids of today are thinking for themselves.

Then they say ? like.....that aint "street" .........THATS GREAT!!!!
  • hnic1978
    Options
    You know whats funny, those same "street" rappers you talk about, stay in the best suburbs in every city and they kids goto private schools.
  • SnuffDaddy
    Options
    You know whats funny, those same "street" rappers you talk about, stay in the best suburbs in every city and they kids goto private schools.

Umm, duuh. But what they're rappin' about is their experience in the streets. That's the point. I came from a struggle, or a struggle similar to your & now i'm here. Also, living somewhere else doesn't mean you're off the streets. You're very naive if you believe that. If that's the case Jimmy Henchman should've been good right? Tyson should've been had a perfect life once he stepped in the ring? ? just ain't that black or white.

I'm not saying i agree when people crave for street ? but that argument is just dumb.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who said the kids gotta follow the streets?
    You can find your own lane!
    I understand ya point but now you got lil boys doin ? ? tryning to follow whats on t.v.!
    You got kids trying to be whiter then their friends!
    I see a lot of shallow dummies and very few leaders! (rappers)
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »

Nah. They rap from a street perspective but most of the hood ain't feelin' them. I think t/s is talking more of a Jeezy, DMX, 50 Cent, Death Row and the list goes on.

Tbh i think the closest is TDE, believe it or not. Only difference might be that they don't carry that street persona i suppose that they can relate to.

Them days are over. The hood got gentrified and most of the "street" rappers can't rap for ? these days. What we seeing is life post-? epidemic.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zigefresh wrote: »
    I feel like that's the main problem right now. The streets don't have that leader to speak to them, Nas is the closest one, but most young niccas in the street don't really connect with him since he's a older head. Jay and Kanye on their different ? . Wayne on his weird ? Drake singing to the hoes and talking about stealing his uncles car. Ti slipped out his spot. Nobody believes Ross. Jeezy fell off. ? think J coles a cornball. You get the point. The only rappers who the streets have are other dumb motherfuckas like chief keef who rap about doing the same dumb ? they're trying to escape. The streets don't have anyone to talk to them like a Scarface, Dmx, Big, Pac, Old Jay, Old Nas. Rap is incomplete without that. And life is incomplete without that to be honest. That's why motherfuckas are so confused right now. Rap without someone in that spot is like a country with no president. Someone needs to step to the plate or its only going to get uglier. Rap is really in a great space right now. I don't think there's ever been this many lanes poppin all at once. We're just missing that one element to tie it all together

Who hates Cole.in the real world ppl like him, but he doesn't play the street ? role

I may not like the music coming from some of the street rappers, but their out here.

This is a confusing topic, because you got real ? who make pop music, but will pop your ass too, but that 90's grimy ? is underground

• hnic1978
    Options

Umm, duuh. But what they're rappin' about is their experience in the streets. That's the point. I came from a struggle, or a struggle similar to your & now i'm here. Also, living somewhere else doesn't mean you're off the streets. You're very naive if you believe that. If that's the case Jimmy Henchman should've been good right? Tyson should've been had a perfect life once he stepped in the ring? ? just ain't that black or white.

I'm not saying i agree when people crave for street ? but that argument is just dumb.

See you not understanding my argument or i didn't stress it right. What im saying is that ? take to literal what a lot of rappers view as entertainment thats why is said that.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? don't care about all of the gun talk they rather listen to a rapper rapping about being a millionaire playboy banging bad ? in penthouses and ? of that nature.
  • SnuffDaddy
    edited July 2013
    Options

Them days are over. The hood got gentrified and most of the "street" rappers can't rap for ? these days. What we seeing is life post-? epidemic.

@bolded

Which is why i said the sound is important. Business thing is another thing. Nothing pops off just because. Remember, it's entertainment business. What makes cents make sense. What they can profit off is what's gonna go.

As far as gentrified - that's true. Doesn't mean there is no struggle for nobody just cuz it's better now than before cuz the same could be said back then. How you gon' talk that that street ? isn't movin' & then call it the post-? epidemic? Then shouldn't street/struggle raps be more afluent? We talking about kids who grew up with parents who grew up during the ? epidemic & the kids witnessed it.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesnt matter The streets don't buy albums anyway.

White fans that buy and attend concerts>>>>>>>>the streets

the streets going into those concerts tracking down white chicks in the crowd lol true story
  • hnic1978
    Options

@bolded

Which is why i said the sound is important. Business thing is another thing. Nothing pops off just because. Remember, it's entertainment business. What makes cents make sense. What they can profit off is what's gonna go.

As far as gentrified - that's true. Doesn't mean there is no struggle for nobody just cuz it's better now than before cuz the same could be said back then. How you gon' talk that that street ? isn't movin' & then call it the post-? epidemic? Then shouldn't street/struggle raps be more afluent? We talking about kids who grew up with parents who grew up during the ? epidemic & the kids witnessed it.

i totally agree.....btw your tape deck is dope!!!
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most older cats listen to emcees they grew up with or underground rapperes anyways.

Who u think is buying a raekwon cd or stressing going to an az performance this day and age cats well over 30.

Most dudes my age and up ain't bumping keef and can't stand drake in large doses don't get started on wayne.

? been stuck in 98 for a minute.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain't freddie gibbs a traditional gangsta rapper btw?
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most rap nowdays (that's selling) isnt street oriented at all.

The game changed a long time ago. Even the biggest "street" rappers will only go gold at most nowdays.

It's all about making music that the everyday person can relate to (Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, etc), hipster/white suburban rap (Kid Cudi, Mac Miller, etc) or making a mix of emo/swag rap (Drake) if you wanna sell nowdays.

Street rappers like Freddie Gibbs, Trae, Freeway, Alley Boy, etc are dope to me, but probably don't have a high ceiling when it comes to sales (not anymore for Freeway, at least).

People like Big KRIT have a mix of conscious and street rap are also probably not really going to do big numbers.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the streets used to mean "everyday ppl"... now it means the worst most ignorant among us?