OPRAH WINFREY denied by a store....Saleswoman assumed she couldn't AFFORD to shop there...

Options

Comments

• lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That cracka crazy
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Oprah Winfrey: Swiss store employee denied me service because I'm black

6C8571563-tdy-130809-ent-oprah.blocks_desktop_small.jpg

Oprah Winfrey was just named as one of the 2013 recipients of the President's Medal of Freedom. She has countless awards and is one of the world's richest women. And she's co-starring in "Lee Daniels' The Butler," a film that opens up next week. But while in Switzerland last month for Tina Turner's wedding celebration, she says she was denied service at a handbag shop, with a shop assistant telling her the bags were "too expensive" for her.

As Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight on Monday, "I was in Zurich the other day, at a store whose name I will not mention. I didn't have my eyelashes on, but I was in full Oprah Winfrey gear. I had my little Donna Karan skirt and my little sandals on. But obviously 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' is not shown in Zurich.”

She explained further that she had gone into the shop, asked to see a particular bag, and was denied by the shop assistant. When she pressed, the assistant told her "you want to see this one because that one will cost too much. You will not be able to afford that."

The bag, reported the International Business Times, cost $38,000; the store was called Trois Pommes. She left the store without making a purchase.

Winfrey insists the denial came from racism. "There's two different ways to handle it. I could've had the whole blow-up thing and thrown down the (American Express) black card, and all that stuff but why do that? But (racism) still exists, of course it does."

Blick newspaper said that the owner of the boutique has since apologized for the incident, saying it was a "misunderstanding."

This is not the first time Winfrey has been shut out by a store; in 2005 she visited a Hermes shop in Paris and was denied entry. Whether it had to do with her race or the fact that the store reportedly had just closed when she arrived depended on differing versions of events.

http://www.today.com/entertainment/...loyee-denied-me-service-because-im-6C10883523

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z

MHdk9xsD10

She should buy the store just to fire that ?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so they called her a "? " to her face or nah?
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wouldve bought out the whole store

damn beat me 2 it.... lol smh

For what? You'd buy a store out that thought you were too broke to cop their merch? So instead you make em more dough despite them generalizing you? Brilliant logic
    id buy the store... it wassnt the store owner that was racist it was the worker... so yea the store owner would make money.. the worker wont make ? ....
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "red polo horses still ? hilfiger"

idk why people act surprised when the find out these designers (and shops alike) aint ? wit us like that...
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont like it for the racism, but love it b/c i love when oprah's self-righteous ass gets taken back down a notch.

My theory is that Oprah has ceased being human long ago and the only way she's maintained any connection to humanity is through those sappy episodes where she brought people to her show and make them cry over their life stories.

She's like, some kind of reptilian being from that's arrived from the earth's core.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember this when it happened.

Sorry but I totally would have slapped down my Metrolink Bus Pass

And then left without purchasing ? .

SMH

• Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ The spin the owner is trying to put on it by saying it was a language barrier. In all these international shops you don't get hired unless you're speaking atleast 3 or 4 languages. That employee knew exactly what she was doing, but I'll leave it at that.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    lol @ The spin the owner is trying to put on it by saying it was a language barrier. In all these international shops you don't get hired unless you're speaking atleast 3 or 4 languages. That employee knew exactly what she was doing, but I'll leave it at that.

Exactly Swiss are known to be fluent in English French German Swiss-German and Italian.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? never going away, I'm tired thinking about it. At the end of the day haters gon hate
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would buy the whole store then fire the employees and sell it
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Oprah should have just bought Sweden out of anger...

Zurich is in Switzerland fool.

You sho showed me

Who gives a ? , its all the same European ? hole , just like Oprah look like any poor ? to them

Lookit that prideful ignorance

Some white ? right there.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    No matter how much money you have. You'll always be a ? . Rich black people like her need a wake up call every now and then just to remind them.
    i wonder when beyonce n jay z gonna get that wake up call?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Or just buy the whole damn building.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    so ya telling me ya would not have bought that store and fired her? to each his own i guess
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oprah would do better to name the boutique and use her pull and famous friends to boycott it. The average viewer of her shows couldnt affect it, but Oprah has people in high places. Her ass just got humbled.