OPRAH WINFREY denied by a store....Saleswoman assumed she couldn't AFFORD to shop there...

Options
124»

Comments

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    some of the most famous runway models of all time are black.. what do u mean?

You're missing the point. A handful of famous AA models is Nothing compared to the fact that 99% of the models that showcase big brands on the runway are Caucasian. It's not even remotely comparable.

Watch a Burberry, or Prada, or Gucci show. What you see most of, is what they cater to.

Whites, and Asians.

It's really that simple. Don't let them fool you.

yea but that is the point i would make then... 99% of the runway models could be white thats fine... but that 1 percent that is black are world wide names... the 99% thats not black are not all world wide names.. its quality ova quantity at that point..
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oprah needs to realize she will always be a ?
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh @ y'all thinking it's good she got knocked down a peg. "Oprah you still a ? " y'all always gonna be stereotypical ? thinking like that.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Oprah Winfrey: Swiss store employee denied me service because I'm black

As Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight on Monday, "I was in Zurich the other day, at a store whose name I will not mention. I didn't have my eyelashes on, but I was in full Oprah Winfrey gear. I had my little Donna Karan skirt and my little sandals on. But obviously 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' is not shown in Zurich.”

stopped reading @ bolded
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe the store clerk was listening to the first half of this song before Oprah came in the store?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nau5iwau1o
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're missing the point. A handful of famous AA models is Nothing compared to the fact that 99% of the models that showcase big brands on the runway are Caucasian. It's not even remotely comparable.

Watch a Burberry, or Prada, or Gucci show. What you see most of, is what they cater to.

Whites, and Asians.

yea but that is the point i would make then... 99% of the runway models could be white thats fine... but that 1 percent that is black are world wide names... the 99% thats not black are not all world wide names.. its quality ova quantity at that point..

.. Nah, bruh.

There are Way more White Supermodels, and way more White filler models, as I stated before. A few famous AA Supermodels doesn't change that dynamic, at all.

They wanna make you believe that the representation is passable because, "Oh, well we work with AA models too, you know, Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Chanel Iman.. See, we work with AA models all the time."

It's ridiculous.
    But maybe not. Expecting racism and purposeful exclusion to go away is ridiculous at this point, tbh.

We really do need more high end AA designers. That's the only real answer. Match product with product.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    Too many blacks got that consumer metality. They get their selfworth from material items that depreciate fast they buy. It's sad that people like Oprah don't have an alternative for these Euro designers. Wouldn't it be great if she'd circulate her money in the balck community?

there's tonnes of independent designers on the internet - most people till this day still chase labels

we'll see how oprah respond to this - she might get on her Reginald Lewis ? and start buying conglomerates....that would be some ether I could respect
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Whites, and Asians.

.. Nah, bruh.

There are Way more White Supermodels, and way more White filler models, as I stated before. A few famous AA Supermodels doesn't change that dynamic, at all.

They wanna make you believe that the representation is passable because, "Oh, well we work with AA models too, you know, Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Chanel Iman.. See, we work with AA models all the time."

It's ridiculous.
    But maybe not. Expecting racism and purposeful exclusion to go away is ridiculous at this point, tbh.

We really do need more high end AA designers. That's the only real answer. Match product with product.
    Co-sign.

I don't know if you remember that doc on Elite with the hidden cameras. That documentary exposed them as being racists and pedophiles. This came out in the late 90's or early 00. I watched a doc about the fashion industry in Brazil a few years ago. Black models were shut out of that industry eventhough Brazil is mostly black and mixed. The fashion industry is as racist as it ever was. A few token black models can't hide that fact.
    Most haute couture are from or working out of Italy. I hate to say it but Italy is thoroughly racist. Just a few weeks ago some fool threw a banana at a black minister. That same minister got racially abused by a racist minister weeks before that. Black soccerplayers keep getting racially abused during matches. Just a few weeks ago an African player of AC Milan walked off the pitch after he had enough. It's not a surprise that the fashion industry is the way it is.

Blacks have some culpability. They know how these people think about them but they still endorse these namebrand labels that don't give a f*ck about them and don't want them to wear their clothes like @taeboo stated. Blacks need to let go of that consumer mentality.

No disrespect but @damobb2deep clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. You can keep bringing all the facts of the world, but that n*gga will keep bringing up weak arguments to counter yours because a. he's trying to speak on something he showed he hasn't has enough knowledge of (haute couture) and b. can't admit he was wrong. N*ggas always trying to be part of the conversation without knowing what they talking about.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Smh @ y'all thinking it's good she got knocked down a peg. "Oprah you still a ? " y'all always gonna be stereotypical ? thinking like that.

You got a saleswoman on £38,000 salary thinking she's better than Okrah because she's white (allegedly). I bet she's kicking herself right now for missing a commissionary bonus turning down Okrah.
  • Star Nine
    Star Nine Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Whites, and Asians.

.. Nah, bruh.

It's ridiculous.

Co-sign.

I don't know if you remember that doc on Elite with the hidden cameras. That documentary exposed them as being racists and pedophiles. This came out in the late 90's or early 00. I watched a doc about the fashion industry in Brazil a few years ago. Black models were shut out of that industry eventhough Brazil is mostly black and mixed. The fashion industry is as racist as it ever was. A few token black models can't hide that fact.
    Most haute couture are from or working out of Italy. I hate to say it but Italy is thoroughly racist. Just a few weeks ago some fool threw a banana at a black minister. That same minister got racially abused by a racist minister weeks before that. Black soccerplayers keep getting racially abused during matches. Just a few weeks ago an African player of AC Milan walked off the pitch after he had enough. It's not a surprise that the fashion industry is the way it is.

Blacks have some culpability. They know how these people think about them but they still endorse these namebrand labels that don't give a f*ck about them and don't want them to wear their clothes like @taeboo stated. Blacks need to let go of that consumer mentality.

No disrespect but @damobb2deep clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. You can keep bringing all the facts of the world, but that n*gga will keep bringing up weak arguments to counter yours because a. he's trying to speak on something he showed he hasn't has enough knowledge of (haute couture) and b. can't admit he was wrong. N*ggas always trying to be part of the conversation without knowing what they talking about.

@damobb2deep know ? all about anything the ? has never left his state. @damobb2deep go find your potnas killer you nerd
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Halfabrick wrote: »

Whites, and Asians.

.. Nah, bruh.

It's ridiculous.

Co-sign.

@damobb2deep know ? all about anything the ? has never left his state. @damobb2deep go find your potnas killer you nerd
    No need to get personal IMO. I got nothing against him and don't know him like that anyway. I was just going by what I've seen in this thread.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? reminds me of New Slaves.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    This story made me smile just a little because of Oprah's comments on the Paula Deen situation.

"Nobody in their right mind is going to call me the N-word. You know, you see those fools on Twitter sometime say ridiculous things. But nobody in their right mind is going to do that to my face, because true racism is being able to have power over somebody else," Winfrey explains. "So that doesn't happen to me that way."

She got that reminder she needed, you can try to distance yourself from the black community but that doesn't mean whites will let you into theirs with open arms. They pretend to welcome her in America for their own personal gain, since it's not kosher here for whites to say Oprah is "one of them." But I'm glad she got that timely reality check, she needed it.
  • damobb2deep
    Options

Whites, and Asians.

.. Nah, bruh.

It's ridiculous.

Co-sign.

Most haute couture are from or working out of Italy. I hate to say it but Italy is thoroughly racist. Just a few weeks ago some fool threw a banana at a black minister. That same minister racially abused by a racist minister weeks before that. Black soccerplayers keep getting racially abused during matches. Just a few weeks ago an African player of AC Milan walked off the pitch after he had enough. It's not a surprise that the fashion industry is the way it is.

dude u a obvious troll... and yo ? should kno ive been 2 different countries so wtf u mean i aint been out of my state... dude ive been 2 damn near 20 states.. and get my ? situation out yo mouth.. u dont kno how seriously we are when it comes 2 bein about that life..
  • damobb2deep
    Options

Whites, and Asians.

.. Nah, bruh.

It's ridiculous.

Co-sign.

No need to get personal IMO. I got nothing against him and don't know him like that anyway. I was just going by what I've seen in this thread.

we will have 2 agree 2 disagree on this one... im not saying you dont have truth 2 what u said.. but imo its more about class then race...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The handbag in question was made by Tom Ford from crocodile skin, and priced at 35,000 Swiss francs (£22,500).
    Though Winfrey did not disclose the name of the boutique, it was soon identified as Trois Pommes on Zurich’s exclusive Bahnhofstrasse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/so-what-was-it-about-oprah-winfrey--black-billionaire--that-made-zurich-store-assume-that-she-couldnt-afford-a-handbag-8755343.html
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black, or not Im not sure I care about her being denied the chance to buy a $38k Purse.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ it being a tom Ford bag. Yet another reason why jay z is a ? . I bet more people are aware of his song than this incident
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight on Monday, "I was in Zurich the other day, at a store whose name I will not mention. I didn't have my eyelashes on, but I was in full Oprah Winfrey gear. I had my little Donna Karan skirt and my little sandals on. But obviously 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' is not shown in Zurich.”

this ? said she didn't have on her oprah lashes, but was in full Oprah Winfrey gear. Is it me or that line just reeks of corny house negroness?

And how shocking is it that it's in Switzerland? Them ? are racist as hell with their powdered pastry sour milk looking ? .
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Feelings. If you want the bag then buy the bag, ? . Crackas that made your favorite bag probably racist too
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would have bought the whole damn store and fired that hoe
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    i would have bought the whole damn store and fired that hoe

I woulda bought the store then gave all the bags to the niggiest of the ? I could find