Gone Girl (2014) Ben Affleck, David Fincher

Options

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    I wanted to read the book first but I ended up seeing the movie on a whim...don't know if I ? up by doing it in that order (I did the same thing with girl with the dragon tattoo) but the WTF moments (and they were in abundance) played out crazy on screen. I wonder how they came across in the book
    especially when you find out the ? set him up and was alive

And the movie was pretty long as is but I just know it has to be other crazy or interesting ? from the book that got left out.

I'm going to read the book when I get a chance but from what I hear it's virtually the same minus a few details and some characters who they didn't have time to fit in into the screenplay
    The scene where shes covered in blood after slitting his throat had been stuck in my head since I saw it.

Whenever I think of this movie that's the first thing that pops in my head.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it today, great film. Trent Reznor did his thing on the score as usual. Also has a couple funny parts in it.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanted to read the book first but I ended up seeing the movie on a whim...don't know if I ? up by doing it in that order (I did the same thing with girl with the dragon tattoo) but the WTF moments (and they were in abundance) played out crazy on screen. I wonder how they came across in the book

And the movie was pretty long as is but I just know it has to be other crazy or interesting ? from the book that got left out.

I'm going to read the book when I get a chance but from what I hear it's virtually the same minus a few details and some characters who they didn't have time to fit in into the screenplay
    The scene where shes covered in blood after slitting his throat had been stuck in my head since I saw it.

Did you see the big twist coming or nah
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    YunnSanco wrote: »

? which one? Lol
  • God_Yunn
    Options

? which one? Lol

The main one lol...

I caught that she faked it real early. She seemed to me,a chick with a masters is very smart,and coming from new York you have to be cunning, methodical, cur throat ,growing up angry because of her parents.

Then you have Ben affleck playing as country, blue collared nice guy,family first type dude and not that bright nor that vindictive. So about the time she started reading her damn journal about he abusive and she scared ,I called ?
  • Rampage12
    Options

? which one? Lol

The main one lol...

I caught that she faked it real early. She seemed to me,a chick with a masters is very smart,and coming from new York you have to be cunning, methodical, cur throat ,growing up angry because of her parents.

Then you have Ben affleck playing as country, blue collared nice guy,family first type dude and not that bright nor that vindictive. So about the time she started reading her damn journal about he abusive and she scared ,I called ?
    You're giving Nick too much credit, obviously he's not a psychopath like Amy but he wasn't supposed to be likable at all either. He was unemployed, lazy, cheated on his wife, had no work ethic, leeched off Amy, never visited his dad in the nursing home, etc. Basically you're not supposed to like Nick either. But apparently the book went into more detail about how Nick thought about killing Amy; whether he was just fantasizing/playing what if or actually intended to we'll never know though.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

? which one? Lol

The main one lol...

nah i didn't. i knew it wasn't gonna be as easy as ben affleck killing her tho cuz that's what everyone believed. i thought it coulda been him in the very beginning cuz they threw a red herring in there with the cat ending up on the bed with the doors closed when the cops got there. i was like hell na he cleaned up the house & ? he did it lol.
    but then i thought back to the movie prisoners & thought it was neil patrick harris cuz he was the least suspecting person. i was all wrong.

but when it came out she was actually alive i had a quick thought they were working together on it possibly for the money & attention when she finally comes back. but then this ? turned into other mom from coraline & i knew it was a wrap.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Loved this movie

Started a lil slow ... But once it picked up

W

T

F

?
    ?
    ?

• Breaducce
    Breaducce Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Options
    That was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was EXTREMELY well thought out and shot, with very complicated multidimensional characters. I have not seen a movie this good in a LONG time, and I'm very much a doubter of movies these days. Fincher has done it again.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The chick who wrote the book wrote the screenplay. ..

So reading the book or watching the movie one before the other is irrelevant really
  • Rampage12
    Options
    Apparently they're currently making a movie out of another one of her books called Dark Places.
  • God_Yunn
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

? which one? Lol

The main one lol...

You're giving Nick too much credit, obviously he's not a psychopath like Amy but he wasn't supposed to be likable at all either. He was unemployed, lazy, cheated on his wife, had no work ethic, leeched off Amy, never visited his dad in the nursing home, etc. Basically you're not supposed to like Nick either. But apparently the book went into more detail about how Nick thought about killing Amy; whether he was just fantasizing/playing what if or actually intended to we'll never know though.
    that first thing you said. Wasn't a psychopath lol...that's all I'm referring to. But damn he was pretty ? . That's what made this movie so good though. Was portrayed as the worse.unremorseful all through the death/disappearance of his wife. Audience began to not like him. Man that was pretty good writing
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Do we still need spoilers?

I liked Affleck's acting too. Not over dramatic. Very lean and effective
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and she got him for 18 years, 18 years. She got one of his kids, got him for 18 years. Dude is ? .
  • Rampage12
    Options
    and she got him for 18 years, 18 years. She got one of his kids, got him for 18 years. Dude is ? .
    Yep, he's basically a prisoner in his own home, or actually technically it's Amy's house. Amy was about to be bankrolling too 'cause in the book she starts writing a book about her experience with being "kidnapped"
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we should discuss this entire thread in nothing but spoilers.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we should discuss this entire thread in nothing but spoilers.

agreed
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so was Neil Patrick Harris' character actually abusive to Amy or was it established that she was lying about that too?
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    ^^ just used/killed him as an alibi to come back to Affleck
  • lazypakman
    Options
    so was Neil Patrick Harris' character actually abusive to Amy or was it established that she was lying about that too?
    I think there was definitely a malicious history there, the focus on their relationship when she was hiding at the lake house hinted at it quite strongly.

The way he started to control every aspect of her to conform to his needs and make sure he got the attention.

Flawlessly executed murder
  • God_Yunn
    Options
    I dont think she was completely lying. He showed various signs of a obsessed stalker,who didnt want her going anywhere. He was just passive,he basically was trying to keep her trapped there but not physically do it.

he bought her clothes.
    told her multiple times forget about everything else,forget about your husband,you're with me now.
    he was getting ready to live in that lake house with her ,like the day after.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    a scene late in the movie when they're both arguing and she says: "I killed for you.." made me realise that chick was cold as ice. 'calculating ? ' doesn't even begin to describe her.. the chick (Pike) is already a frontrunner for The Best Actress this next awards season

• lazypakman
    Options
    id be surprised if she didn't get an Oscar nom at the very least
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Idk if it was just me but the sister was hella sexy to me. She was mad average, but given the chance I'd smash.
    yeah I liked her character. She was a ride or die sibling.