The Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread (June 12th 2014 - July 13th 2014)

Options

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Julian Green going to the World Cup at his age is a good thing.... He'll be a part of the biggest tournament in the world. Most likely he won't see any game time but he'll gain some experience kinda like Ronaldo did in 94.
  • 1CK1S
    Options
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    Landon Donovan
    23 minutes ago
    To my fans,

It has been an honor and privilege to have represented the US National Team in three World Cups. I was looking forward to playing in Brazil and, as you can imagine, I am very disappointed with today’s decision. Regardless, I will be cheering on my friends and teammates this summer, and I remain committed to helping grow soccer in the US in the years to come.

Thanks for all your support,

Landon
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Landon Donovan is the only US player I know...lol...sucks to be him
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Landon Donovan is the only US player I know...lol...sucks to be him

Tim Howard,

That's is all.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yea....and Dempsy
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't see the US getting pass the group stage this year anyway. They are going to need either Germany or Portugal to slip up. And the media over here are still sleeping on Ghana. They have taken out the US in the last two World Cups.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    us is going to lose all their games
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

U think,? I wouldn't call it that. They did beat Portugal full squad with me and my homies rui costa, Abel Xavier and pauleta in 2002 an that Portugal team was waaaaaaaay better Bredren. USA qualified out of that group.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Oh yea....and Dempsy

Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, Sydney Leroux... no, wait.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least for 1 month....sport climate won't bedead after nba season with world cup
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Figo wrote: »

U think,? I wouldn't call it that. They did beat Portugal full squad with me and my homies rui costa, Abel Xavier and pauleta in 2002 an that Portugal team was waaaaaaaay better Bredren. USA qualified out of that group.

Us team especially the defense is not strong. I predict all Ls and calls for Klinsmann's resignation from Alexei ? Lalas
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    edited May 2014
    Options
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My group predictions for the moment, might change before the tournament kicks off.

Group A: Brazil, Croatia
    Group B: Spain, Chile
    Group C: Colombia, Japan
    Group D: Italy, Uruguay
    Group E: France, Switzerland
    Group F: Argentina, Nigeria
    Group G: Germany, Portugal
    Group H: Belgium, Russia

I expect the last 8 to be Brazil, Spain, Colombia, Italy, Nigeria, Argentina, Germany and Portugal.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My group predictions for the moment, might change before the tournament kicks off.

I expect the last 8 to be Brazil, Spain, Colombia, Italy, Nigeria, Argentina, Germany and Portugal.

You expect Nigeria to beat Bosnia, have you seen Bosnia play? Bosnia should be favourites against Nigeria. I think both Nigeria and Ivory Coast can make it through to the last 16. Ivory Coast has the experience to go through, but i guess it is 50-50. These are all teams that can beat each other.
  • afro thunder
    Options

You expect Nigeria to beat Bosnia, have you seen Bosnia play? Bosnia should be favourites against Nigeria. I think both Nigeria and Ivory Coast can make it through to the last 16. Ivory Coast has the experience to go through, but i guess it is 50-50. These are all teams that can beat each other.

Yeah I've seen them play. I expect their game to end in a draw but since Bosnia start their campaign against Argentina, I gave Nigeria the advantage. I think they're about equal in strength. Same goes for Group C. I think it's the most balanced group with all 4 teams about the same but I think Colombia and Japan will progress ahead of Ivory Coast and Greece.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah I've seen them play. I expect their game to end in a draw but since Bosnia start their campaign against Argentina, I gave Nigeria the advantage. I think they're about equal in strength. Same goes for Group C. I think it's the most balanced group with all 4 teams about the same but I think Colombia and Japan will progress ahead of Ivory Coast and Greece.

Good point about Bosnia playing Argentina first. Bosnia might play a little desperate if Nigeria is already 3 points up so Nigeria can counter attack. I still think Bosnia is slightly better head-to-head all things equal. I hope you are wrong about Ivory Coast though. I still remember how great they played in 2006 and 2010, but they just failed to produce the important goals. Maybe this time around they can produce the important goals.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    Nigeria ain't doing ? . Will be surprised if they even get out of their group.

• 1CK1S
    Options
    England's squad numbers for the 2014 Brazil World Cup

1. Joe Hart

2. Glen Johnson

3. Leighton Baines

4. Steven Gerrard

5. Gary Cahill

6. Phil Jagielka

7. Jack Wilshere

8. Frank Lampard

9. Daniel Sturridge

10. Wayne Rooney

11. Daniel Welbeck

12. Chris Smalling

13. Ben Foster

14. Jordan Henderson

15. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

16. Phil Jones

17. James Milner

18. Rickie Lambert

19. Raheem Sterling

20. Adam Lallana

21. Ross Barkley

22. Fraser Forster

23. Luke Shaw
  • zerocool
    Options
    Which is the group of death?
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »

United States, Germany, Portugal and Ghana.

Hoping and praying Portugal doesn't make it out.
  • afro thunder
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

I also think that's the group of death. You have arguably the strongest teams from north America and Africa and 2 Europe power houses.

Some people say Group D with Uruguay, England, Italy and Costa Rica is the group of death but I disagree. Costa Rica isn't strong enough.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Options

I also think that's the group of death. You have arguably the strongest teams from north America and Africa and 2 Europe power houses.

Some people say Group D with Uruguay, England, Italy and Costa Rica is the group of death but I disagree. Costa Rica isn't strong enough.

It's definitely Group G, that is the stuff of nightmares.
  • zerocool
    Options

Yeah......., seen those 2 mentioned groups as the group of death
This discussion has been closed.