Comments

• OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ehere tf is shao kahn
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love the variation. MK stepped they game up something serious. Might actually cop and I usually never buy fighting games
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-b-ord.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10887410_824324180939174_8729307332734762075_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9[/img]
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't Kung Lao killed in MK9?
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mortal Kombat X: Kung Lao and Kitana Reveal Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EROmqidZQc
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought Kung Lao Died in MK9
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They've done a lot of good things with the way they've revamped MK, but one thing that still kinda kills it for me is the lack of diversity in character play styles. It's crazy because they do a really good job with creating interesting and unique special moves, but the way they implement them ends making characters too similar.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They've done a lot of good things with the way they've revamped MK, but one thing that still kinda kills it for me is the lack of diversity in character play styles. It's crazy because they do a really good job with creating interesting and unique special moves, but the way they implement them ends making characters too similar.

Every single character in the game has 3 different fighting styles...?

Nice improvements to Kitana`s look. Her character model in MK9 might've been the worst in the whole game.

Kung Lao looks dope. He and Jax were my mains in MK9.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Every single character has three variants. That doesn't mean gameplay will be substantially different between those variants or between each character. The thing about MK is that the only thing that really markedly distinguishes characters is moveset. The other differences are mostly minor. Think about two characters like Dhalsim and Zangief. No characters in MK9 are that different from each other. Judging from the clips I've seen of this game, new variants or not, it will be the same for MK10. The game isn't out yet though, so they could prove me wrong.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Street Fighter is not the example I would use to demonstrate playstyle diversity. Sure, you have Zangief and Dhalsim, but you also have an army of Shotos. No two characters in MK play as similarly as they all do.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Street Fighter is not the example I would use to demonstrate playstyle diversity. Sure, you have Zangief and Dhalsim, but you also have an army of Shotos. No two characters in MK play as similarly as they all do.

Ok, but there is a fundamental misunderstanding of playstyle. Ryu and Akuma have similar movesets. And you might be right in saying their movesets are more similar than any two characters in MK. That's debateable though. Still, let's assume that's true. The play styles used for those two characters are much different. No good player uses Akuma the same way they would Ryu. In fact, there is a good chance trying to do that will get you killed. Meanwhile, lots of characters in MK9 have similar setups for juggles and combos that make their overall fighting styles practically the same. It doesn't matter if their movesets are substantially different, if gameplay with them breaks down to exploiting the exact same tactics.

Again, I give MK credit, the specials are really cool and the movesets are pretty nice, but do to the game system and the way things work, there really isn't as much diversity in playstyle as you might think.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, but there is a fundamental misunderstanding of playstyle. Ryu and Akuma have similar movesets. And you might be right in saying their movesets are more similar than any two characters in MK. That's debateable though. Still, let's assume that's true. The play styles used for those two characters are much different. No good player uses Akuma the same way they would Ryu. In fact, there is a good chance trying to do that will get you killed. Meanwhile, lots of characters in MK9 have similar setups for juggles and combos that make their overall fighting styles practically the same. It doesn't matter if their movesets are substantially different, if gameplay with them breaks down to exploiting the exact same tactics.

Again, I give MK credit, the specials are really cool and the movesets are pretty nice, but do to the game system and the way things work, there really isn't as much diversity in playstyle as you might think.

Yeah I think this might be more of a injustice 2.0...there you did have diverse characters styles(doomsday/batman/superman/bane etc)

Im hoping it will be lol
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every single character has three variants. That doesn't mean gameplay will be substantially different between those variants or between each character. The thing about MK is that the only thing that really markedly distinguishes characters is moveset. The other differences are mostly minor. Think about two characters like Dhalsim and Zangief. No characters in MK9 are that different from each other. Judging from the clips I've seen of this game, new variants or not, it will be the same for MK10. The game isn't out yet though, so they could prove me wrong.

yea its mostly because all the normal moves in MK are the same for the most part and all they change are specials between the characters

MK9 was a step in the right direction they finally added some differences
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    and no shotos in street fighter play anything alike
  • Bcotton5
    Options

Yeah I think this might be more of a injustice 2.0...there you did have diverse characters styles(doomsday/batman/superman/bane etc)

Im hoping it will be lol

yea injustice was a way for them to experiment they finally got rid of the block button so they could have cross ups and more mix ups lol
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't been this excited about a fighting game in a long time..
  • Phantom Pain
    Options
    Two new player reveals coming today
  • Phantom Pain
    Options
    Reptile seemed kind of weak
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reptile seemed kind of weak

He seemed the exact same as before
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Reptile was my dude back in the day now is character is meh
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reptile fell off after MK2
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Making him more reptilian than human is what killed it for me. You don't see subzero as a karate block of ice, and you don't see scorpion as a punching, kicking, insect. Same with Rain, Smoke, Noob, etc. the ninja warriors should be just that. With Reptile they tried to make an animal character (starting with MK4 & going downhill from there) and I don't like it. They could've just introduced a whole new character for all that
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You talking about that same battle stance, that same, leg sweep, that same jump punch and that same damn tired ass uppercut that everybody does.