Mortal Kombat X - 4/14/2015

Options

Comments

• Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain't it crazy that we can't tell actual game footage from cgi? That's how far graphics have come...they supposed to have in game footage at E3
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RajaMonyet wrote: »
    3rd strike flopped, allmost killed the franchise, only a handfull of people were playing it and it wasnt exactly new anymore when part 4 dropped, after 10 years people wanna play something else lol. Game was released in 99...

Ono and other Capcom heads(and most people that actually played the games) claimed that 3rd strike is/was more complex then 4.

I meant playing field/level space monk, there is less space in 4,hence why you cant sprint etc.

The "game is old" argument doesn't work. When it comes to the pro scene, those guys have no problem staying loyal to a game for years if they believe that game is the best. Again Super Turbo and Marvel vs Capcom 2 still regularly pop up at tournament. And like Cotton said, I haven't heard any of the pro or good players talk down about the SFIV mechanics since very early on. In fact, it's the opposite. SFIV is known as one of the games where you have to be the most technically sound to be good at the game. So this idea that gameplay has been oversimplified is a bit silly.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    If parrying is what makes a fighting game more complex...
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People are also pointing out that the trailer hints at running from MK3 possibly returning (based on the start of the match).

Also, there is lots of countering in the trailer...akin to Dead or Alive, but in a 2D fighter. This would be dope if its as fluid as demonstrated in this trailer. Killer Instinct has counter breakers and they work well for that game, but the effect looks like it would be very different in MK.

And OTG's. MK usually has hard knockdowns like Street Fighter, but the video shows Scorpion lifting Sub-Zero off the ground.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yoshi Ono himself stated that they simplified sf4, made it more accesible and that 3rd strike was a head of its time, during an era when fighting games were florishing....only a "select few" and elite/? fighting game fans were able to play it....which is one of the reasons it flopped.

instead of improving on 3rd strike they went back to part 2, ssf2turbo to be exact but slower paced...in 3rd strikes era they improved and fixed gameplay elements from SNK/competitors, with 4 they went back to basic to appeal to a larger audience.

thats straight from Capcom lol.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ultimate mortal kombat 3 was my ? ,I used classic sub-zero
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if that was in game footage. ..lawd..
  • Phantom Pain
    Options
    Just played that UFC demo on PS4....and if MKX has those graphics/effects or better...my ? !!!
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yoshi Ono himself stated that they simplified sf4, made it more accesible and that 3rd strike was a head of its time, during an era when fighting games were florishing....only a "select few" and elite/? fighting game fans were able to play it....which is one of the reasons it flopped.

instead of improving on 3rd strike they went back to part 2, ssf2turbo to be exact but slower paced...in 3rd strikes era they improved and fixed gameplay elements from SNK/competitors, with 4 they went back to basic to appeal to a larger audience.

Again, you're exaggerating what they were saying. Ono did not say they were dumbing down the game which is what you are implying. They removed parrying, but they replaced it with the focus system. The focus system is supposed to be easier to pick up than parrying, but it's most certainly not a more shallow system. There are more options that come out of the focus system than parrying.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Again youre talking about very early SF4 days, the game has evolved into a whole different game now, when vanilla 1st came out all people did was playing it like it was SF2
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They didnt just remove parrying, they made the arenas smaller, less space, no sprint(so no more tackling/grappling/jumping or dashing combinations with sprinting). No air blocks or customization.

less space in a game loaded with ranged/projectile attacks...the feints/cancels/ex/supers etc moves were all already there.

Did you guys even play that ? ? More space/sprint meant more dynamic fights.

Hugo, Dudley, Makoto, Yang etc are completly different beasts in 3rd strike. More diverse cause their movesets were designed for the space(and pace)

Dudley in sf4 ae is basically a downgraded version of his 3 strike counterpart.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    They didnt just remove parrying, they made the arenas smaller, less space, no sprint(so no more tackling/grappling/jumping or dashing combinations with sprinting). No air blocks or customization.

less space in a game loaded with ranged/projectile attacks...the feints/cancels/ex/supers etc moves were all already there.

Did you guys even play that ? ? More space/sprint meant more dynamic fights.

Hugo, Dudley, Makoto, Yang etc are completly different beasts in 3rd strike. More diverse cause their movesets were designed for the space(and pace)

Dudley in sf4 ae is basically a downgraded version of his 3 strike counterpart.

The problem with your arguments is that you latch on to one aspect of 3rd strike and act like its the end all and be all while ignoring everything in SF4.

And since when does more space automatically mean more dynamic fights? Space doesn't really mean a whole lot. It's the game mechanics that matter. And you even bringing up projectile attacks means you don't really understand how the SF4 mechanics work. If you did, you'd know that anyone who knows how to make use of FADC, can deal with projectile traps easily. And FADC is a general game mechanic available to everyone.

Also, Dudley being inferior in a game he was ported to compared to how he was in a game he was designed for does not in any way reflect badly on the game he was ported to. It just means his style is better suited for the game mechanics he was originally designed for.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    ? street fighter. With their ? ass characters. Mortal Kombat was dark as ? , gruesome, and had a movie that didnt suck ? n dix when it came out. I loved playing as Smoke. I think that was in the 3rd or 2nd one. Pretty much all the Ninja's i loved. Sub Zero, Noob Saibot, Rain, Ermac, Reptile, Smoke, Scorpion. They were all the ? .

Looks like you skipped the most important thing, gameplay.
  • Phantom Pain
    edited June 2014
    Options
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word is, Sharkeisha is the hidden character.
  • GTariq
    GTariq Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actual Gameplay footage from tonight...

http://youtu.be/-5IVJCULB0M
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo that ? looks crazy...I'm baffled right now...I don't check for fighting games but this ? looks dope to me
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    25 yrs. after mk9...what happened to Shinnok impending invasion of a weaken Earth realm and Outworld? Also most of the cast from the last game is in Hell/Nether Realm so there's that...
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda disappointed in the graphics. Whatever you think about MK, it always looks great graphically. This just looks like MK9 in 1080p. Games that are cross gen really should follow Forza Horizon 2`s model and have two separate teams with two different engines. Ive heard people say MKX looks amazing in person though.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gotta pass on this one although the fatalities are better and I dig the interactive environments n ? but when I see ? like this [img]https://scontent-a-lax.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/1462790_10152590525891756_5673474227772721005_o.jpg[/img]
    Wtf is that? wasp ? . Nah im not ? with that
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gotta pass on this one although the fatalities are better and I dig the interactive environments n ? but when I see ? like this [img]https://scontent-a-lax.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/1462790_10152590525891756_5673474227772721005_o.jpg[/img]

Also there's a chance my ? Lui Kang might not be in this ? b/c it's 25 years after the last MK.. I think it's a guarantee that Cage isn't in it
  • Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blu197 wrote: »

Also there's a chance my ? Lui Kang might not be in this ? b/c it's 25 years after the last MK.. I think it's a guarantee that Cage isn't in it

Well a lot of the cast did die in MK9 but Boon said some will reappear, they'll just be older. Also some how sub-zero is back...so I guess that means someone from the Lin Kuei took up the mantle or somehow he got revived.