What's The Point Of Marriage? (I Think MOST Of Us Get Married TOO Young)

Options

Comments

• MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always did believe in waiting til til I was about 30-31 to pop that question (if I was blessed in that regard). Even when I was a pre-teen I was on that, even if she was my Elementary School sweetheart.

I'm 25 now and still feel tha same way. BUT, you never know wat you have until its gone. So doing all of the marital activities and living tha lifestyle and NOT getting Official doesn't make sense.

I don't care wat false psuedo fantasy new age ? yall speaking on, real life is real life. Its still never going to be cool being 50 & Mingling working an average ass job lookin like an average ass person doin average ass ? with your average ass self or with your average ass friends. There's no amount of mental deflection that can change that Fact, none.
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    ? like "but I'm independent doe. I can do bad all by myself"

Lol. Yeah ight. U keep on believing that. You'll be 81 sittin in a ? up retirement home all by yourself saying to yourself how confused you were. But I'll let yall tell it.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think a good part of it might have something to do with having children.... some couples just don't prefer their child(ren) to be born "out of wedlock" since it seems to be taboo still..

would some of yall agree?
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    I think a good part of it might have something to do with having children.... some couples just don't prefer their child(ren) to be born "out of wedlock" since it seems to be taboo still..

No. How many ? have u known or seen do that in real life? That's why we got so much baby mama-baby daddy drama now and so so many misguided and uninspired youth

? really that blind tho, crazy. ? believe in ? but don't open up their eyes to see him
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not anti-marriage at all, but some of the reasons in this thread as to why marriage is a good thing are ridiculous and don't really have much to do with marriage.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I'm not anti-marriage at all, but some of the reasons in this thread as to why marriage is a good thing are ridiculous and don't really have much to do with marriage.

So explain to us what marriage is or is supposed to be. O experienced guru.

• mryounggun
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Did I hurt your feelings, B? If so, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

You're forgiven. Now enlighten us. Your perspective or lack thereof could prove valuable.

• mryounggun
    Options

You're forgiven. Now enlighten us. Your perspective or lack thereof could prove valuable.

Sure. What is the point of marriage?

The way I see it, there are two logical reason for marriage:

1. To protect assets/grow wealth

2. Your religion dictates that you get married

Are there other reasons? Of course. But those reasons are based on things that you should not base important decisions on, like emotions.

What do you think about those two concepts? Let's talk about it.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Marriage is a social construct. You can still have kids and a family with out the contract.....marriage is a fairy tale for women. I ain't knocking no one that wants to get married, but people need to stop acting like its a natural thing to do in life at a certain age. Marriage is a created idea that help stimulate the economy back in the day. We all have different opinions on love and ? , but marriage has many different perspectives....its a tradition that has just caught on and stuck around, women push it more because they want the BIG WEDDING DAY, and simps comply. Do want YOU want to do in life and stop caring what people say or think. If you want to be a bachelor all your life then be a bachelor...if you want to be married and take the risk of losing everything.....then do it. Marriage is a option not a requirement

great post
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    That's utterly ridiculous as the head of a house hold to not be concerned with gaining, retaining and then ultimately being able to putt your offspring in a position to succeed in life. Protecting, one's assets and or perhaps gaining more wealth via marriage is an extremely intelligent way to approach marriage.

Ones religion dictating marriage is mostly based on the Moral concept that a cohesive family will lead to a stronger community and greater society. Placing value on creating a Union which is to be made public where a person can be held accountable for his or her actions is intelligent and logical. Lastly the spiritual aspect of marriage as mandated by some religions is for two people that have the same beliefs to uplift each other and remind each other of their religious duty to their ? , Family, Wife and Community.

So, nothing emotional about either of the reasons you posted. And certainly are great foundations in which to build a marriage and family from.

Now getting married because, the ? got a fat ass

Cause you Love her.

Cause the ? got the best head. That's emotional.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »
    goldenja wrote: »

No. How many ? have u known or seen do that in real life? That's why we got so much baby mama-baby daddy drama now and so so many misguided and uninspired youth

? really that blind tho, crazy. ? believe in ? but don't open up their eyes to see him

I don't think it's taboo to have kids out of wedlock but im damn sure waiting til I'm married to have them. Both marriage and kids are a lifetime commitment to having that other person in your life. Only thing is one you can legally leave
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ATL_DRO wrote: »
    Marrying for love is dumb

Marrying for kids is dumb

Marrying to protect your inheritance you intend to pass on and your kid's future wealth, however, is smart.

... SOOOOO.. OFF THE MERE FACT THAT YOU LOVE SOMEONE AND WANT TO BE WITH THEM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IS A DUMB REASON TO GET MARRIED!?!?!?!!?

I believe it is. Feelings change and the fact is that person may not Love you back at some point in the marriage. Doing anything off of shear emotion be it Love, Hate, Anger or happiness is quite dumb.

You shouldn't let your emotions drive you to make a life altering decision.

That is quite dumb.

...BUT MONEY SHOULD HUH??? SMH
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options

Marrying to protect your inheritance you intend to pass on and your kid's future wealth, however, is smart.

...SO BY YOUR THEORY. . U WOULD LEAVE YOUR HUSBAND FOR THE NEXT NGA THAT CAN OFFER U MORE MONEY AND SECURITY? ?..

U REALLY ARE A THOT HUH..
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont get it either. I need a lot of space. Youll see me when you see me i may be in the wind doin my own thing for months. I aint tryin to check in or be worryin about nobody. If somebody really finds the one for them tho, good for them. Thats they business and not my concern. To each his own aint no sense trying to force your ideas plenty people aint tryin to get married and aint going to. Plus you look at the divorce rate and what people go through and avoiding that looks even more attractive. Different people are wired different i guess.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Marriage is a social construct. You can still have kids and a family with out the contract.....marriage is a fairy tale for women. I ain't knocking no one that wants to get married, but people need to stop acting like its a natural thing to do in life at a certain age. Marriage is a created idea that help stimulate the economy back in the day. We all have different opinions on love and ? , but marriage has many different perspectives....its a tradition that has just caught on and stuck around, women push it more because they want the BIG WEDDING DAY, and simps comply. Do want YOU want to do in life and stop caring what people say or think. If you want to be a bachelor all your life then be a bachelor...if you want to be married and take the risk of losing everything.....then do it. Marriage is a option not a requirement

great post

Only thing is there is no factual evidence to back any of this up.

1. Marriage has mostly been a religious mandate. As just about every major religion prohibits fornication. In order to have sexual relations a couple had to be married. Nothing to do with stimulating the or an economy.

2. The only age limitations placed on marriage have been for protection of children but once of age there is no set age for anyone to marry.

3. Marriage also isn't a tradition that just caught on. We are talking about a practice that has been around for thousands of years.

4. On one hand this guy says marriage has MANY different perspectives and then proceeds to describe a mostly American and Christian version of a Marriage ceremony. In some culture the Man is just as invested in the wedding day and ceremony. For some men it's their first piece of ? as well as a way to show their wealth and status in society.

• mryounggun
    Options
    That's utterly ridiculous as the head of a house hold to not be concerned with gaining, retaining and then ultimately being able to putt your offspring in a position to succeed in life. Protecting, one's assets and or perhaps gaining more wealth via marriage is an extremely intelligent way to approach marriage.

Ones religion dictating marriage is mostly based on the Moral concept that a cohesive family will lead to a stronger community and greater society. Placing value on creating a Union which is to be made public where a person can be held accountable for his or her actions is intelligent and logical. Lastly the spiritual aspect of marriage as mandated by some religions is for two people that have the same beliefs to uplift each other and remind each other of their religious duty to their ? , Family, Wife and Community.

So, nothing emotional about either of the reasons you posted. And certainly are great foundations in which to build a marriage and family from.

Now getting married because, the ? got a fat ass

Cause you Love her.

Cause the ? got the best head. That's emotional.

To be honest fam, I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
  • mryounggun
    Options
    @ATL_DRO‌

I don't want to put words in her mouth, but I think her point is that just because you love a person, that doesn't mean getting married is a good idea. And that love between two people who are not married isn't any less valid than if they were married.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

... SOOOOO.. OFF THE MERE FACT THAT YOU LOVE SOMEONE AND WANT TO BE WITH THEM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IS A DUMB REASON TO GET MARRIED!?!?!?!!?

I believe it is. Feelings change and the fact is that person may not Love you back at some point in the marriage. Doing anything off of shear emotion be it Love, Hate, Anger or happiness is quite dumb.

You shouldn't let your emotions drive you to make a life altering decision.

That is quite dumb.

...BUT MONEY SHOULD HUH??? SMH

Yes, it should. Money if managed properly can lead to stability in your marriage and if you plan on having children makes a huge difference in the quality of resources afforded to them. You can't give your children quality food, and education based your how much you love your wife or them for that matter.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the point of marriage is to take ur relationship to a higher level and/or prove ur love for ur s/o as greater than ur love for others
  • THOT PILGRIM
    THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

...SO BY YOUR THEORY. . U WOULD LEAVE YOUR HUSBAND FOR THE NEXT NGA THAT CAN OFFER U MORE MONEY AND SECURITY? ?..

So what does wanting to protect the inheritance I intend to leave to my son have to do with leaving my husband for a man with more money???

Do you know what a theory is?
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Who's to say that someone who marries for love won't find someone else whom they Love more or will lieave for someo one who will Love them better.

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So what does wanting to protect the inheritance I intend to leave to my son have to do with leaving my husband for a man with more money???

Do you know what a theory is?

How much are you insured for?
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options
    @ATL_DRO‌

I don't want to put words in her mouth, but I think her point is that just because you love a person, that doesn't mean getting married is a good idea. And that love between two people who are not married isn't any less valid than if they were married.

THATS FINE... BUT WHY SHOULD MONEY BE VALUED MORE THAN LOVE??

BUT THATS HER/YALL...

IF YALL LIVE YALL LIFE LIKE THAT, THEN GO HEAD
  • THOT PILGRIM
    THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ol Jay's wrote: »
    the point of marriage is to take ur relationship to a higher level and/or prove ur love for ur s/o as greater than ur love for others

Lol, no.

Why should you have to prove that to anyone? Your SO should know that and who gives a damn what anyone else thinks?

And marriage doesnt take your relationship to a higher level. It just makes the relationship legally binding.