Steven Hawking says it's possible for life to come from nothing

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maybe it's possible there was a ? ,and it's now dead? I think about this sometimes

This is a scary concept. Wow.

Scary but when one thinks about the disastrous state of the world when it comes to overpopulation, diseases, homelessness, racism (on all sides), constant wars and slavery, I'm slowly reaching the conclusion any ? that may have existed at one point died a long time ago. A ? is supposed to be a powerful being and since it can't be seen and since it doesn't do ? to help the state of the world, why call it a ? ?
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Perhaps both things are equally plausible?
    nope.
    of course, my standard position is to call aliens ? and watch people who rip religious beliefs get the MOST hurt feelings when their unprovable alien beliefs get disrespected.
    Aztecs, Dogon tribe of Africa, and others have basically said the same things.
    now did the Aztecs say this, or did people look back at X and Y tribe and theorize "well, what they're talking about is aliens!"

plus, zombie touched on this: the debate about the existence of a deity (or deities or whatever) is not the exact same thing as debating whether or not aliens seeded the earth or some other intricate scenario that seems primary based on the overly-detailed narratives of people who claim to have been probed.

Yes it's not the same debate, but maybe what we call deities aren't really deities, just advanced beings. Regarding aliens, it's beyond people being probed man, it's also based on detailed research of all ancient cultures (much of whom still exist) and what their drawings, traditions, and writings have said. I guess it's not 100% proven, but we shouldn't completely ignore what all the ancient cultures said either. For example, the Dogon tribe in Africa does not have (or did not) have telescopes in the 1930s but they told French visitors details on how much of the solar system looks like, how the hell did they gain this knowledge??

http://arcturi.com/AncientAliens/DogonPeopleAndAliens.html

Ancient Aliens in Africa: The Dogon people are one of the most fascinating
    sources of evidence for Ancient Aliens. The Dogon populate the central
    plateau region of Mali in Africa, there are said to be between 400,000 and
    800,000 in this remote civilization. The Dogon culture has been known for its
    dramatic art, tribal customs, and most of all their cosmology. The controversy
    started in 1930 when French anthropologists recorded a strange legend from
    Dogon priests. Passed down through oral tradition, the Dogon told a tale of
    alien visitation from the Star System of Sirius. The alien race was referred to
    as the Nommos and was said to be an aquatic race of humanoid creatures
    (from their descriptions similar to Mermaids or Mermen). Interestingly enough
    the Babylonian ? Isis, is often depicted as a Mermaid and associated with
    Sirius. According to the legend the Nommos descended from the heavens in
    a great “boat” that was accompanied with much noise and winds.

The anthropologist recorded the story for what it was worth and went about
    their business. However, an interesting fact emerged from the story years
    later. The Dogon explained that the Sirius system had a companion star,
    which is invisible to the naked eye.

In 1970, astronomers were able to photograph Sirius B, the companion star
    to Sirius A.

Researchers have found artifacts dating back over 400 years made by the Dogon depicting orbits of these stars.

Additionally, the Dogon have held ceremonies every 50 years celebrating
    the cycle of Sirius A and Sirius B. Astronomers later verified this cycle to be
    quite accurate. The Dogon have been holding these celebrations ever
    since the Sirians came to visit them.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maybe life is one big accident though.....how else do you explain people like this.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixAmvagQD9U
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching "the unbelievers" right now. Our minds can't grasp that something can come from nothing. Yet, only a few minds in the world can.

Just like how minds couldn't grasp the world wasn't flat 1,000 years ago, people said it's impossible that the world is round. Then we were proved wrong.

These are facts.

there is no such thing as nothing,
  • zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Maybe it's possible there was a ? ,and it's now dead? I think about this sometimes

Scary but when one thinks about the disastrous state of the world when it comes to overpopulation, diseases, homelessness, racism (on all sides), constant wars and slavery, I'm slowly reaching the conclusion any ? that may have existed at one point died a long time ago. A ? is supposed to be a powerful being and since it can't be seen and since it doesn't do ? to help the state of the world, why call it a ? ?

like we don't cause most those problems ourselves have you ever stopped to think maybe ? does not want to solve all those problems for us or that maybe those problems are part of the design in the first place. maybe us fighting dying and struggling is part of the program to get us to reach his final conclusion
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

like we don't cause most those problems ourselves have you ever stopped to think maybe ? does not want to solve all those problems for us or that maybe those problems are part of the design in the first place. maybe us fighting dying and struggling is part of the program to get us to reach his final conclusion

If those problems are part of ? 's design, then it's a sad testament to the kind of ? you believe in. I personally believe that any higher power that may be out there isn't perfect and made an imperfect world because it itself is imperfect. If there IS a ? that made the world like this by design, then I would consider that kind of ? a half evil one.
  • zombie
    Options

If those problems are part of ? 's design, then it's a sad testament to the kind of ? you believe in. I personally believe that any higher power that may be out there isn't perfect and made an imperfect world because it itself is imperfect. If there IS a ? that made the world like this by design, then I would consider that kind of ? a half evil one.

but who are you to say those things don't function perfectly for their intended purpose. death pain struggles these things are not necessarily bad and they have a clear function. in the current world. the world was perfect man changed it, but still things function perfectly according to their purpose.
  • zombie
    Options
    @kingblaze84‌ you think you could do better
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A ? is supposed to be a powerful being and since it can't be seen and since it doesn't do ? to help the state of the world, why call it a ? ?

^^^THIS
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    Maybe life is one big accident though.....how else do you explain people like this.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixAmvagQD9U

You sir, have earned your consign
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    there is no such thing as nothing,

Explain
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of my theories is that 'nothing' is ? . Nothing has no colour, no smell, it cannot be seen, nothing is not an empty hand...it has no shape nor form(truelly try to imagine nothing, you cant).

it was there before the Big bang, it has no beginning and no end. I mean when we scientifically analyse the universe, from an origin perspective, there is always a cause and result, beginning and end, ad finitum...14/22 billion years ago(for example the First Parts of our DNA is 4 billion years Old), there was nothing....and there was nothing before nothing, making it the only thing without an beginning nor an end.
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    Regarding the Whole alien/gods thing...

its certainly interesting that ancient North/East African, West Asian and South European cultures/religions(Ancient Greeks, Berbers, Egyptians, Babylonians, Hebrews etc) all had giant type species in their beliefs as part of the Whole origin of mankind arcs....from the Titans to Nephilim, to Gilgamesj and so on...

not saying I believe there were giants walking the earth(there did actually were 5 meter/ 38ft tall primates several hundred thousand years ago)...

but @darcskies had an interesting theory about the differences between dna....like our dna only differs 2% van chimps, difference between peeling a banana with your feet or flying to the moon as he out it...so if there would be or have been a being/species that would be 2 hell 10% different than us....imagine what they could do...we would probably consider them Gods, especially 10k years ago....
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    From a creationist pov, I can imagine One would look at our direct surroundings(mars, jupiter etc) and might think, those lifeless planets, were all trail n error, the creator had it all well once he Made earth....he never stopped creating and went onward to create the billions of other stars...
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    Its kinda funny though with that Noah movie with Russel Crowe and co, people were ? on the film cause it displayed giant rock type creatures....considered it unreal etc, yet in Genesis, giants and enoch are mentioned...
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    One thing that truelly amazes me, is the gas inside the chambers of our hearts. Where is it from, why is it there. Its the engine of our body, it beats and beats untill the you die and the gas leaves. You dont run outta gas and die, you die First and then the gas leaves the chambers...
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »
    Its kinda funny though with that Noah movie with Russel Crowe and co, people were ? on the film cause it displayed giant rock type creatures....considered it unreal etc, yet in Genesis, giants and enoch are mentioned...

Look at the irony of this post on IMDB. It sums up all religious arguments.
    I'm 34mins into the movie and I'm turning it off. Glad I downloaded it and didn't pay for it.
    As soon as I saw these rock angels was the minute I knew this was stupid.
    So full of inaccuracies. Such a stupid movie I can't say it enough.
    This is like trying to make a transformers type movie out of the bible..
    If you'd have stuck to the true story id have watched..but rock angels? Come on.

What a shame

imdb.com/title/tt1959490/board/nest/232954905?ref_=tt_bd_4
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Watching "the unbelievers" right now. Our minds can't grasp that something can come from nothing. Yet, only a few minds in the world can.

Just like how minds couldn't grasp the world wasn't flat 1,000 years ago, people said it's impossible that the world is round. Then we were proved wrong.

These are facts.

The funny thing about this is that ancient sailors and even the Greeks thought the world was spherical do the evidence from Greek scientist. The flat earth theory is a Christian religious one based on the planes of the heavens being directly over earth and hell being below. They also thought that the sun revolved around the earth because ? made earth the domain of man and it was the center of everything.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of very ancient societies knew the earth was a sphere but the Christians didn't.
  • zombie
    Options
    A lot of very ancient societies knew the earth was a sphere but the Christians european christians didn't.

fixed
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yes it's not the same debate, but maybe what we call deities aren't really deities, just advanced beings.
    ...which just comes right back to why this is not the same debate
    For example, the Dogon tribe in Africa does not have (or did not) have telescopes in the 1930s but they told French visitors details on how much of the solar system looks like, how the hell did they gain this knowledge?
    not an expert in astronomy, but i suspect there's a degree of knowledge that does not require telescopes
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If something is naked to the human eye meaning our eyes do not have the capacity of seeing something. It's proven we cannot see sirius b and they knew about it and a metal that's inside there and that it doesn't exist on earth and we confirmed it 60 years later with new technological advances.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, I don't believe this ? . I'm gonna kick that crippled ? in his face for talking about my ? .
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options

but who are you to say those things don't function perfectly for their intended purpose. death pain struggles these things are not necessarily bad and they have a clear function. in the current world. the world was perfect man changed it, but still things function perfectly according to their purpose.

WHAT THE ? ......did you see the video I posted up? What kind of purpose in life is that??? And pain in general can be bad, ask all the orphans all over the world how bad the pain of losing a parent can be. Horrible post from you.