Steven Hawking says it's possible for life to come from nothing

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Yes it's not the same debate, but maybe what we call deities aren't really deities, just advanced beings.
    ...which just comes right back to why this is not the same debate
    For example, the Dogon tribe in Africa does not have (or did not) have telescopes in the 1930s but they told French visitors details on how much of the solar system looks like, how the hell did they gain this knowledge?
    not an expert in astronomy, but i suspect there's a degree of knowledge that does not require telescopes

Well you can admit you're not an expert in astronomy so perhaps you don't understand how amazing the knowledge of the Dogon tribe is....astronomers remain amazed at how accurate the Dogon tribe came to their discovery, and for the Dogon tribe to state the knowledge didn't even come from them makes it all the more interesting
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »
    Regarding the Whole alien/gods thing...

its certainly interesting that ancient North/East African, West Asian and South European cultures/religions(Ancient Greeks, Berbers, Egyptians, Babylonians, Hebrews etc) all had giant type species in their beliefs as part of the Whole origin of mankind arcs....from the Titans to Nephilim, to Gilgamesj and so on...

not saying I believe there were giants walking the earth(there did actually were 5 meter/ 38ft tall primates several hundred thousand years ago)...

but @darcskies had an interesting theory about the differences between dna....like our dna only differs 2% van chimps, difference between peeling a banana with your feet or flying to the moon as he out it...so if there would be or have been a being/species that would be 2 hell 10% different than us....imagine what they could do...we would probably consider them Gods, especially 10k years ago....

Agreed on how all the ancient cultures you mentioned, it's truly amazing stuff. But I never seen proof that 38 foot tall primates actually walked the Earth, are there fossils or bones that show this?

On all the other stuff you said, it does make many think there is or was some kind of design to the universe, the question in the end though is did a ? or gods make it all? On that I'm not sure
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    @kingblaze84‌ you think you could do better

IF I was an all knowing and all powerful ? , hell ? yeah I could do better, have you ever read a medical journal? The human body and the world in general is flawed beyond belief. My ex was a doctor, and the things she saw on the field would probably make me turn atheist.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IF I was an all knowing and all powerful ? , hell ? yeah I could do better, have you ever read a medical journal? The human body and the world in general is flawed beyond belief. My ex was a doctor, and the things she saw on the field would probably make me turn atheist.

i don't see the physical weakness in mankind as a flaw
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options

LOL are you nuts? Watch that video again, you think she was made perfectly fine?? Ever heard of the worms that crawl out of children's skin in 3rd world nations? These are deeply serious flaws in the design of human kind
  • zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options

LOL are you nuts? Watch that video again, you think she was made perfectly fine?? Ever heard of the worms that crawl out of children's skin in 3rd world nations? These are deeply serious flaws in the design of human kind

they can only be seen as flaws from a human perspective we don't want pain we don't want any suffering but the suffering is there for us as a species for us to overcome. these thing challenge us to make us better we would not choose to improve if we did not have these challenges.
  • zombie
    Options
    Maybe it's possible there was a ? ,and it's now dead? I think about this sometimes

This is a scary concept. Wow.

Scary but when one thinks about the disastrous state of the world when it comes to overpopulation, diseases, homelessness, racism (on all sides), constant wars and slavery, I'm slowly reaching the conclusion any ? that may have existed at one point died a long time ago. A ? is supposed to be a powerful being and since it can't be seen and since it doesn't do ? to help the state of the world, why call it a ? ?

like we don't cause most those problems ourselves have you ever stopped to think maybe ? does not want to solve all those problems for us or that maybe those problems are part of the design in the first place. maybe us fighting dying and struggling is part of the program to get us to reach his final conclusion

If those problems are part of ? 's design, then it's a sad testament to the kind of ? you believe in. I personally believe that any higher power that may be out there isn't perfect and made an imperfect world because it itself is imperfect. If there IS a ? that made the world like this by design, then I would consider that kind of ? a half evil one.

but who are you to say those things don't function perfectly for their intended purpose. death pain struggles these things are not necessarily bad and they have a clear function. in the current world. the world was perfect man changed it, but still things function perfectly according to their purpose.

WHAT THE ? ......did you see the video I posted up? What kind of purpose in life is that??? And pain in general can be bad, ask all the orphans all over the world how bad the pain of losing a parent can be. Horrible post from you.

you do not understand.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

they can only be seen as flaws from a human perspective we don't want pain we don't want any suffering but the suffering is there for us as a species for us to overcome. these thing challenge us to make us better we would not choose to improve if we did not have these challenges.

The problem with that though is that many people do not overcome these challenges, and become bitter individuals who later on become big problems for society. Some these challenges may help scientists get better knowledge, but many of these people can't be helped in the end, and some things can never be cured, like a baby being born with a hole in its heart or born with mental retardation. These things cannot be overcome and science hasn't solved many of these problems to this day. From a universal perspective, humans and animal wise, the world is VERY flawed, word to the predation system we live in. You think a baby deer being eaten ALIVE by a snake or big insects thinks the world is just? The world is ? up, there's no denying this
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    cruelty.jpg

The world is PERFECT!!!!!
  • zombie
    Options

The problem with that though is that many people do not overcome these challenges, and become bitter individuals who later on become big problems for society. Some these challenges may help scientists get better knowledge, but many of these people can't be helped in the end, and some things can never be cured, like a baby being born with a hole in its heart or born with mental retardation. These things cannot be overcome and science hasn't solved many of these problems to this day. From a universal perspective, humans and animal wise, the world is VERY flawed, word to the predation system we live in. You think a baby deer being eaten ALIVE by a snake or big insects thinks the world is just? The world is ? up, there's no denying this

see once again you see the deer dying as a problem but it's death is not a flaw it serves the purpose of feeding another creature.

Your problems are not only your problems to solve and if you can't overcome your challenges then that's ok because we are supposed to try and help you and in doing so we learn how to fix others coming up behind you. if we can't fix it now that's ok you may die but we might learn something. as for emotional trouble you may suffer but the people around you will learn from it and people who survive their emotional issues usually come out stronger mentally
  • zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options
    man is ? on the inside our hearts lean toward evil but the outside world works perfectly for it's purpose.
  • zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cruelty.jpg

The world is PERFECT!!!!!

currently death is needed if no one died ever there could be no new life and change would come harder and pay attention to what i am saying i said everything functions in the world perfectly for it's purpose
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options

see once again you see the deer dying as a problem but it's death is not a flaw it serves the purpose of feeding another creature.

Your problems are not only your problems to solve and if you can't overcome your challenges then that's ok because we are supposed to try and help you and in doing so we learn how to fix others coming up behind you. if we can't fix it now that's ok you may die but we might learn something. as for emotional trouble you may suffer but the people around you will learn from it and people who survive their emotional issues usually come out stronger mentally

It's not even death that's the main issue, it's HOW that deer and HOW humans are dying that's the big problem with this flawed, horribly designed world we live in. Its all signs that this world wasn't designed in a perfect way at all, there is nothing perfect about the way things are set up. It's why so many question the existence of ? , for good reason.

If it was all perfect, then scientists and doctors wouldn't be so overwhelmed taking care of people out there. I know people who are in the medical profession and without hesitation I say the world is a MESS and a disaster in many ways. There are many great and wonderful things about life yes, but many will never experience these parts. It's funny how you say people with emotional or physical issues "usually" come out okay, well how do you know? Statistics show people with great trauma growing up are far more likelier to live a life of crime, be in poverty, homeless, and become a victim of crime themselves. Your premise is that life in function is perfect but there is ZEROOOOOOO evidence of that. Word to Stephen Hawking himself! In a perfect world, he wouldn't have the health issues he has now.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    man is ? on the inside our hearts lean toward evil but the outside world works perfectly for it's purpose.

You must be smoking that good ? tonight, ? .....

**tries to roll a joint way bigger then anything Zombie is probably smoking**
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options
    And what is the purpose of the world.......? Cuz mother Nature stay ? up

th?id=HN.607993711010515331&pid=15.1&P=0

ummul.jpg?w=455

t1larg.progeria.jpg
  • zombie
    Options

It's not even death that's the main issue, it's HOW that deer and HOW humans are dying that's the big problem with this flawed, horribly designed world we live in. Its all signs that this world wasn't designed in a perfect way at all, there is nothing perfect about the way things are set up. It's why so many question the existence of ? , for good reason.

If it was all perfect, then scientists and doctors wouldn't be so overwhelmed taking care of people out there. I know people who are in the medical profession and without hesitation I say the world is a MESS and a disaster in many ways. There are many great and wonderful things about life yes, but many will never experience these parts. It's funny how you say people with emotional or physical issues "usually" come out okay, well how do you know? Statistics show people with great trauma growing up are far more likelier to live a life of crime, be in poverty, homeless, and become a victim of crime themselves. Your premise is that life in function is perfect but there is ZEROOOOOOO evidence of that.

scientist and doctors are supposed to doing what they do because pain and death and the human need to escape them are part of the design, my premise is that the world functions perfectly for it's intended purpose we die because we are suppose to we suffer because we are supposed to. from a religious perspective it's part of the design mankind has written into the fabric of life. something being perfect or not depends on that it's purpose is.

the world is a painful place and the inside of man is broken but everything else fits it's purpose and i don't believe pain is a flaw.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Well you can admit you're not an expert in astronomy so perhaps you don't understand how amazing the knowledge of the Dogon tribe is...
    counterpoint: no one else posting in this thread is an expert in astronomy, so no one's qualified to tell me how amazing their knowledge is
    astronomers remain amazed at how accurate the Dogon tribe came to their discovery, and for the Dogon tribe to state the knowledge didn't even come from them makes it all the more interesting
    going to leave aside the "state the knowledge didn't even come from them" part and just say that i think you can have a high degree of knowledge even without modern tools again

• zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options

all life dies and one of the purposes of life is to die because in doing so it brings life to other living creatures this is especially so in the animal kingdom animals provide man and each other with food and other things we need.

death may feed life with flesh or in the case of human death it may bring inner emotional growth to other humans. for example the first time a child sees a love one die and gets over it the child has just grown stronger.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options

If it was all perfect, then scientists and doctors wouldn't be so overwhelmed taking care of people out there. I know people who are in the medical profession and without hesitation I say the world is a MESS and a disaster in many ways. There are many great and wonderful things about life yes, but many will never experience these parts. It's funny how you say people with emotional or physical issues "usually" come out okay, well how do you know? Statistics show people with great trauma growing up are far more likelier to live a life of crime, be in poverty, homeless, and become a victim of crime themselves. Your premise is that life in function is perfect but there is ZEROOOOOOO evidence of that.

scientist and doctors are supposed to doing what they do because pain and death and the human need to escape them are part of the design, my premise is that the world functions perfectly for it's intended purpose we die because we are suppose to we suffer because we are supposed to. from a religious perspective it's part of the design mankind has written into the fabric of life. something being perfect or not depends on that it's purpose is.

the world is a painful place and the inside of man is broken but everything else fits it's purpose and i don't believe pain is a flaw.

Humans and animals suffer because we are SUPPOSED to suffer? And from a religious standpoint, this is part of the design MANKIND brought onto itself? WOW!! Let me guess, Adam and Eve ? everything up right.....

And you never answered what the purpose of this world is, because I fail to see what the end purpose to all this suffering in the world is. LOL at you saying pain is not a flaw in the world, you obviously have never seen a room full of orphans as I have. The world was designed HORRIBLY, peep the pics I posted above again. You're proving my points without you realizing it, you said yourself the world is full of pain, so how the hell is this a good thing
  • zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options

Humans and animals suffer because we are SUPPOSED to suffer? And from a religious standpoint, this is part of the design MANKIND brought onto itself? WOW!! Let me guess, Adam and Eve ? everything up right.....

And you never answered what the purpose of this world is, because I fail to see what the end purpose to all this suffering in the world is. LOL at you saying pain is not a flaw in the world, you obviously have never seen a room full of orphans as I have.

the adam and eve story is a metaphysical one that's how i read it and basically it states that mankind altered reality the end purpose from my religious standpoint is to draw those who want to be closer to ? closer to him and that goes for those who suffer and those who see people suffer.

i have seen people suffer, i have suffered but i can be detached about it and see things from a higher perspective.
  • dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mankind ain't bring none of this ? on "ourselves" we were just never meant to exist in the first place. We're an accident born from mother nature. Not some all knowing always watching supreme deity. We're chemicals and compounds that are merely self aware for a short period of time.
  • zombie
    edited October 2014
    Options

And you never answered what the purpose of this world is, because I fail to see what the end purpose to all this suffering in the world is. LOL at you saying pain is not a flaw in the world, you obviously have never seen a room full of orphans as I have. The world was designed HORRIBLY, peep the pics I posted above again. You're proving my points without you realizing it, you said yourself the world is full of pain, so how the hell is this a good thing

your only point is that you think that because there is pain and suffering then the world is flawed, but pain is often a good thing especially in the long run the bubonic plague killed millions but we learned more about disease and how to stop it.
  • zombie
    Options
    Mankind ain't bring none of this ? on "ourselves" we were just never meant to exist in the first place. We're an accident born from mother nature. Not some all knowing always watching supreme deity. We're chemicals and compounds that are merely self aware for a short period of time.

You can believe that if you wish it's utter foolishness but carry on.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options

It seems you're right because mother nature seems to be CONSTANTLY bombarding humans with all kinds of trouble while we're here on Earth. With Ebola running around, along with natural disasters, it seems like mother nature is trying to shake us off. It's one reason why I'm not sure if I want kids some day, the world is just too ? up.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    Options

all life dies and one of the purposes of life is to die because in doing so it brings life to other living creatures this is especially so in the animal kingdom animals provide man and each other with food and other things we need.

death may feed life with flesh or in the case of human death it may bring inner emotional growth to other humans. for example the first time a child sees a love one die and gets over it the child has just grown stronger.

One of the PURPOSES of life is to DIE? So why the hell are we even here then? We might as well all be born dead then right? Pay close attention to what you just said smh.....