Iraqi troops suffer mass slaughter one mile from Baghdad: the general ISIS Chat thread

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    American troops are already fighting ISIS members but only when ISIS gets close to their bases. Damn amazing, and I thought we didn't have boots on the ground lol

well, this is what happens when you have an administration that can't just admit what they're doing (aka putting an amount of boots on the ground that they think is appropriate) and a co-signing party that will not call him on it.

Yes, very true. Most Democrats aren't calling out Obama on his constant lies. I'm trying to figure out which is Obama's biggest lie:

1) "The Affordable Care Act will save the avg American family $2500 a year (BWAHAHAHAHA)"

or

2) "There will not be any boots on the ground against ISIS"

or

3) "We have peacefully brought an end to the Iraq War"

I'm leaning as a tie btw 1 and 3

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Boots have already been on the ground and my unit back home says there is a chance after I'm airborne certified I might be gettingbattached to an infantry unit depending on how bad the situation gets. All reports of American soliders getting into firefights with isis has us distinctly winning but it's no point if the Iraq army isn't trained to deal with these kind of problems themselves

Well get ready young man, because more troops are on their way to Iraq within the next few weeks according to CNN. American troops are definitely blowing away ISIS fighters near American bases but if ISIS re-organizes itself, things may get messy. Cuz Iraqi troops are still getting their ? kicked by ISIS and Al-Qaeda is joining the fun all over Syria, and ? knows what Khorosan is up to.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boots have already been on the ground and my unit back home says there is a chance after I'm airborne certified I might be gettingbattached to an infantry unit depending on how bad the situation gets. All reports of American soliders getting into firefights with isis has us distinctly winning but it's no point if the Iraq army isn't trained to deal with these kind of problems themselves

Well get ready young man, because more troops are on their way to Iraq within the next few weeks according to CNN. American troops are definitely blowing away ISIS fighters near American bases but if ISIS re-organizes itself, things may get messy. Cuz Iraqi troops are still getting their ? kicked by ISIS and Al-Qaeda is joining the fun all over Syria, and ? knows what Khorosan is up to.

I'm going to be ready if I get the call to go to combat. Once Iraq can reorganize itself military and politically wise then they should easily be able to defend itself. As long as it's divided politically though they stand no chance

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm going to be ready if I get the call to go to combat. Once Iraq can reorganize itself military and politically wise then they should easily be able to defend itself. As long as it's divided politically though they stand no chance

Maybe Iraq should just be divided up into 3 nations then, because it's never going be united politically. The hate most Iraqi Sunnis have for the Bagdhad govt is deep, only deep anger would allow a group like ISIS to take so much power and control over there.

Otherwise, I don't see ANY scenario Iraq becomes united again, unless the next Saddam Hussein comes along
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    -but it's no point if the Iraq army isn't trained to deal with these kind of problems themselves
    yeah, that seems fair, but then we come back to the usual problem of there being a political/social issue that gets in the way of our natural ability to wreck ? militarily.

• The_Jackal
    Options
    @kingblaze84‌ Just don't see how dividing the nation would do any good. They still will essentially be right next to each other and still in conflict.

@janklow‌ yeah unfourtante that saddam was the best leader they had
  • janklow
    Options
    @janklow‌ yeah unfourtante that saddam was the best leader they had
    i would probably vote for Faisal I on principle. can't pick Saddam!

• kingblaze84
    Options
    @The_Jackal‌

Dividing Iraq is the best out of all bad options, and right now as even Obama admitted, there are ONLY bad options when it comes to ISIS and the disaster known as Iraq. If the nation is divided, it means less money has to be spent propping up a failed govt like Iraq's. America is babysitting Iraq when sooooo many people here in America are broke and have nothing to lose or even gain. We just look silly spending all this money over there while we got these issues. If anything, North Korea is the one to watch out for
  • janklow
    Options
    If anything, North Korea is the one to watch out for
    North Korea is also surrounded by potent countries that can restrain it (China) or pound the ? out of it in an extreme emergency (South Korea), so at least there's that.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    If anything, North Korea is the one to watch out for
    North Korea is also surrounded by potent countries that can restrain it (China) or pound the ? out of it in an extreme emergency (South Korea), so at least there's that.

Good point, but that's also technically the case with Islamic State. Israel isn't too far from Islamic State, and Syria's govt, Iraq's govt and Iran are also nearby too.....
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Meanwhile, the losing American war on ISIS continues to fall apart. America's overrated military is losing influence in the fight because various rebel groups would rather join ISIS now then be a part of the American coalition. America is seen as an evil force in the region (for understandable reasons) and people have little desire to be joining forces with the Great Satan there. Even Israel is getting worried about how many people are joining them lately

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/isis-closing-israel-north-south-113000327.html

ISIS Closing in on Israel from the North and the South

The war against ISIS is taking a dangerous, perhaps inevitable turn. The terror organization has been keen to expand to southern Syria and the Syrian capital of Damascus. Now it says it has recruited three Syrian rebel groups operating in the south of the country in an area bordering the Israeli occupied Golan Heights — that have switched their loyalties to ISIS.

This switch means that Israel, the U.S.’s closes ally in the Middle East, could be threatened from the southwest by the Egyptian ISIS group of Ansar Bait al-Maqdis in Sinai and by ISIS in southern Syria.

The ISIS war is not going well at all for the US-led alliance in Syria. ISIS and al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, are still the dominant rebel groups in the country. The U.S.-backed Free Syrian Army is still not a reliable fighting force.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Yeah anything is better then Saddam.
    As far as dividing Iraq goes that plan has no way to end but perpetual bloodshed not that Iraq hasn't always been like that but still. And as far as your article goes there is no war on isis so I don't know how we could be losing it. At most we authorized drone strikes and boots on the ground at certain key areas but we aren't actively hunting and engaging them directly in ground. As far as Israel goes who cares they are one of the reasons the middle east is the way it is
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah we mostly agree on that, Israel is one of the main reasons there's so much instability in the Middle East. Any govt aligned with the west and by indirect connection Israel usually has major problems there.

I have a feeling American troops are gonna start actively hunting and engaging ISIS by sometime next year though, I heard on the radio this week that the Pentagon is planning to send specialized tanks and vehicles the Iraqis are not trained to use. Might be a sign Americans are gonna make some moves to ISIS held territory.
  • janklow
    Options
    Good point, but that's also technically the case with Islamic State. Israel isn't too far from Islamic State, and Syria's govt, Iraq's govt and Iran are also nearby too.....
    Israel has a limited ability to run wild and i think we've seen Syria and Iraq's governments were a big challenged in the face of this. plus, no one near ISIS compares to China's sway over NK.

• janklow
    Options
    Meanwhile, the losing American war on ISIS continues to fall apart.
    wait what

ISIL a distant threat for Israel
    Judging by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s speech at the United Nations earlier this week, one might think it is Israel, and not Syria or Iraq, that faces the greatest threat from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

“Everywhere we look, militant Islam is on the march,” he warned, describing it as a “cancer.” At one point he deployed a ? reference: “The Nazis believed in a master race. The militant Islamists believe in a master faith,” he said. “They just disagree about who among them will be the master.”

The hardline group rampaging across eastern Syria and western Iraq was one of two major focal points in Netanyahu’s meeting with US President Barack Obama on Wednesday, according to advisers. Despite the rhetoric, though, analysts and security officials say Israel is actually not too concerned—yet—with ISIL. It is geographically distant, with most of its forces deployed hundreds of kilometers away from Israel’s vastly better-equipped army.

The CIA believes ISIL may have up to 30,000 fighters. But it has no airpower, and a motley collection of ground vehicles, some of which are now being blown up by a campaign of Western and Arab airstrikes. It is not a formidable threat, in other words, to one of the world’s most advanced armies....

Kurdish fighters move on ISIL's Mosul hub
    Kurdish forces in Iraq have taken more ground from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group and are moving closer to the northern city of Mosul.

The Peshmerga, a term used by Kurds to refer to Kurdish fighters, delivered aid to Yazidi refugees on Mount Sinjar on Saturday and expanded a major offensive against ISIL in northwestern Iraq after breaking a months-old siege.

The Peshmerga closed in on Sinjar town south of the mountain and Tal Afar to its east, AFP news agency reported on Sunday.

If successful, the move would significantly alter the map of ISIL's self-declared cross-border "caliphate" and isolate its Mosul hub.

It comes as ISIL reportedly regained control of Beiji city, north of Baghdad. The battle for Beiji and its oil refinery has been running back and forth for months, with each side making gains and suffering losses in the fighting.
    Pinpointing military and humanitarian aid from nations in the international struggle against the armed group.

Troops on Sunday retreated to nearby towns surrounding Beiji. ISIL is still in control of the oil refinery, which is about 15 kilometres north of the city.

The autonomous Iraqi Kurdish region's Peshmerga reached the flanks of Mount Sinjar with food and other aid three days after launching a vast operation in the region, backed by US-led coalition air strikes.

As the convoy worked its way up the mountain, a 60-kilometre-long ridge where civilians and fighters had been trapped since September, people swarmed vehicles to receive food.

Tens of thousands of members of the Yazidi religious minority were trapped on the mountain for days in the searing August heat in a first siege that sparked fears of genocide and was one of the reasons that led US President Barack Obama to launch an air campaign against ISIL.

Many were eventually evacuated when a coalition of Kurdish forces opened a corridor to Syria, and on Saturday the same factions were trying to reopen that route.

A statement from the Kurdish president's son, who also heads the Kurdish Regional Security Council (KRSC), said the Peshmerga had cleared villages on the northern side of the mountain.

The Syrian Kurdish YPG group, which has been leading the battle against ISIL in the town of Kobane on the Syrian-Turkish border, was moving south to join up with the Peshmerga.

In addition to opening a safe corridor between Sinjar and the Kurdish areas of Syria, the YPG said on Sunday it had captured seven villages from ISIL on the Syrian-Iraq border - three on the Syrian side and four on the Iraqi side.

The leaders of autonomous Kurdistan described the operation they have spearheaded since Wednesday as the most successful so far against ISIL.

After the US-led coalition paved the way with some 50 air strikes, about 8,000 Peshmerga reclaimed some 700 square kilometres.

• The_Jackal
    Options
    Kurds been smashing the ? of isis probably one of the most stable countries political and military wise in that region
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Israel has a limited ability to run wild and i think we've seen Syria and Iraq's governments were a big challenged in the face of this. plus, no one near ISIS compares to China's sway over NK.

Yeah China has sway over NK but it hasn't stopped North Korea from making threats not just to the United States, but also directly to the White House. But we feel safe because we assume China will check NK from doing anything too outrageous, although NK several times has killed SK soldiers and marines and gotten away with it, as recently as a few years ago lol. NK gets away with a lot and its regime and China's govt agencies (maybe WITH NK) are known for cyber hacking American govt and businesses. Better then all out war of course and it's the same stance we should take with the growing Islamic State.

Meanwhile, ISIS is being attacked by the Kurds, Iran, Iraq's weak but still loyal Shiite govt, Jordan, Syria's govt, and many others. I think that's enough people taking on ISIS. If we can let NK slide with its many death threats against us, then this long and black hole war (going on since 2003 now) can be avoided.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Meanwhile, the losing American war on ISIS continues to fall apart.
    wait what

ISIL a distant threat for Israel
    Judging by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s speech at the United Nations earlier this week, one might think it is Israel, and not Syria or Iraq, that faces the greatest threat from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

“Everywhere we look, militant Islam is on the march,” he warned, describing it as a “cancer.” At one point he deployed a ? reference: “The Nazis believed in a master race. The militant Islamists believe in a master faith,” he said. “They just disagree about who among them will be the master.”

The hardline group rampaging across eastern Syria and western Iraq was one of two major focal points in Netanyahu’s meeting with US President Barack Obama on Wednesday, according to advisers. Despite the rhetoric, though, analysts and security officials say Israel is actually not too concerned—yet—with ISIL. It is geographically distant, with most of its forces deployed hundreds of kilometers away from Israel’s vastly better-equipped army.

The CIA believes ISIL may have up to 30,000 fighters. But it has no airpower, and a motley collection of ground vehicles, some of which are now being blown up by a campaign of Western and Arab airstrikes. It is not a formidable threat, in other words, to one of the world’s most advanced armies....

Kurdish fighters move on ISIL's Mosul hub
    Kurdish forces in Iraq have taken more ground from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group and are moving closer to the northern city of Mosul.

The Peshmerga, a term used by Kurds to refer to Kurdish fighters, delivered aid to Yazidi refugees on Mount Sinjar on Saturday and expanded a major offensive against ISIL in northwestern Iraq after breaking a months-old siege.

The Peshmerga closed in on Sinjar town south of the mountain and Tal Afar to its east, AFP news agency reported on Sunday.

If successful, the move would significantly alter the map of ISIL's self-declared cross-border "caliphate" and isolate its Mosul hub.

It comes as ISIL reportedly regained control of Beiji city, north of Baghdad. The battle for Beiji and its oil refinery has been running back and forth for months, with each side making gains and suffering losses in the fighting.
    Pinpointing military and humanitarian aid from nations in the international struggle against the armed group.

Troops on Sunday retreated to nearby towns surrounding Beiji. ISIL is still in control of the oil refinery, which is about 15 kilometres north of the city.

The autonomous Iraqi Kurdish region's Peshmerga reached the flanks of Mount Sinjar with food and other aid three days after launching a vast operation in the region, backed by US-led coalition air strikes.

As the convoy worked its way up the mountain, a 60-kilometre-long ridge where civilians and fighters had been trapped since September, people swarmed vehicles to receive food.

Tens of thousands of members of the Yazidi religious minority were trapped on the mountain for days in the searing August heat in a first siege that sparked fears of genocide and was one of the reasons that led US President Barack Obama to launch an air campaign against ISIL.

Many were eventually evacuated when a coalition of Kurdish forces opened a corridor to Syria, and on Saturday the same factions were trying to reopen that route.

A statement from the Kurdish president's son, who also heads the Kurdish Regional Security Council (KRSC), said the Peshmerga had cleared villages on the northern side of the mountain.

The Syrian Kurdish YPG group, which has been leading the battle against ISIL in the town of Kobane on the Syrian-Turkish border, was moving south to join up with the Peshmerga.

In addition to opening a safe corridor between Sinjar and the Kurdish areas of Syria, the YPG said on Sunday it had captured seven villages from ISIL on the Syrian-Iraq border - three on the Syrian side and four on the Iraqi side.

The leaders of autonomous Kurdistan described the operation they have spearheaded since Wednesday as the most successful so far against ISIL.

After the US-led coalition paved the way with some 50 air strikes, about 8,000 Peshmerga reclaimed some 700 square kilometres.

Wow that's really interesting about the Kurds, didn't know they were making moves deep like that. Good for them.

And yeah ISIS has no real air power (minus their shoulder missiles which possibly took down a Jordanian pilot today), so Israel has reason to not feel too worried. Glad I saw all that because it only reinforces my belief that this growing war is unnecessary. Even if America wasn't involved, I'm sure Syria and Iran would have kept ISIS in check, each nation has said they don't want or even need America's help.
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah China has sway over NK but it hasn't stopped North Korea from making threats not just to the United States, but also directly to the White House. But we feel safe because we assume China will check NK from doing anything too outrageous, although NK several times has killed SK soldiers and marines and gotten away with it, as recently as a few years ago lol. NK gets away with a lot and its regime and China's govt agencies (maybe WITH NK) are known for cyber hacking American govt and businesses.
    well, we're comparing NK in their region to ISIS in theirs. China can't prevent NK from doing every crazy thing they do, of course.
    And yeah ISIS has no real air power (minus their shoulder missiles which possibly took down a Jordanian pilot today), so Israel has reason to not feel too worried. Glad I saw all that because it only reinforces my belief that this growing war is unnecessary. Even if America wasn't involved, I'm sure Syria and Iran would have kept ISIS in check, each nation has said they don't want or even need America's help.
    MANPADS would not be considered air power, to be fair. also, same remarks repeated for Syria, but do also remember there's an element of Iran's remarks to that effect that's sort of theatre.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Islamic State is becoming a failed state according to the Washington Post......people who live there say living conditions are starting to become miserable and it may open the way for ISIS to wage a new war: against its own citizens who are starting to despise them for the constant wars they're always in.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/the-islamic-state-is-failing-at-being-a-state/2014/12/24/bfbf8962-8092-11e4-b936-f3afab0155a7_story.html?hpid=z1

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah China has sway over NK but it hasn't stopped North Korea from making threats not just to the United States, but also directly to the White House. But we feel safe because we assume China will check NK from doing anything too outrageous, although NK several times has killed SK soldiers and marines and gotten away with it, as recently as a few years ago lol. NK gets away with a lot and its regime and China's govt agencies (maybe WITH NK) are known for cyber hacking American govt and businesses.
    well, we're comparing NK in their region to ISIS in theirs. China can't prevent NK from doing every crazy thing they do, of course.
    MANPADS would not be considered air power, to be fair. also, same remarks repeated for Syria, but do also remember there's an element of Iran's remarks to that effect that's sort of theatre.

Iran's remarks could be theater but with all the anti-ISIS sentiment going on in the Middle East, I don't think America's help is needed in the fight. The more involved America becomes, the more recruits and followers ISIS will get. My words have been proven true over and over again. The war on terror has cost Americans over 2 trillion dollars, imagine what cities and towns could have done with two trillion dollars.
  • janklow
    Options
    Islamic State is becoming a failed state according to the Washington Post...
    actually, this was a point people predicted some time ago: it's a lot easier to look good running around in trucks picking off low-hanging fruit; it's a lot harder to run a state for real.
    Iran's remarks could be theater but with all the anti-ISIS sentiment going on in the Middle East, I don't think America's help is needed in the fight.
    the remarks are theater because there's things the US can do that Iran simply can't. and to be honest, it's actually not a terrible thing for the US and Iran to have common cause on something.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Islamic State is becoming a failed state according to the Washington Post...
    actually, this was a point people predicted some time ago: it's a lot easier to look good running around in trucks picking off low-hanging fruit; it's a lot harder to run a state for real.
    Iran's remarks could be theater but with all the anti-ISIS sentiment going on in the Middle East, I don't think America's help is needed in the fight.
    the remarks are theater because there's things the US can do that Iran simply can't. and to be honest, it's actually not a terrible thing for the US and Iran to have common cause on something.

Yeah ISIS seems to be in way over its head, they punish hospital workers for smoking by sending them to jail, although there are already very few hospital workers lol. The Syrians, Iranians and Kurds are gonna have a field day with them if this dumb behavior continues.

It is true America can do things Iran can't, but I won't be pleased if this war turns into another trillion dollar plus disaster. So far, things aren't going great for America there but it's not horrible for Americans either. For now
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah ISIS seems to be in way over its head, they punish hospital workers for smoking by sending them to jail, although there are already very few hospital workers lol. The Syrians, Iranians and Kurds are gonna have a field day with them if this dumb behavior continues.
    it's also a failing of fundamentalists we've seen before in Iraq
    It is true America can do things Iran can't, but I won't be pleased if this war turns into another trillion dollar plus disaster.
    i don't think there's anyone that actually wants to see that (okay, maybe ISIS)

• kingblaze84
    Options
    it's also a failing of fundamentalists we've seen before in Iraq
    It is true America can do things Iran can't, but I won't be pleased if this war turns into another trillion dollar plus disaster.
    i don't think there's anyone that actually wants to see that (okay, maybe ISIS)

Yeah ISIS and its buddies definitely want to see a trillion dollar war, fought by American soldiers. They don't care about their own life, so it's gonna be crazy hard to beat an enemy like this. Even if ISIS was to lose that war, I don't see the Middle East map ever being the same again. The way Iraq and Syria used to be seen on maps is no more forever (time for the world to start updating its maps imo) so even if ISIS is completely taken out, who will fill the void of the many Sunnis in Iraq and their sympathizers who hate America, Syrian and Baghdad govts more then life itself?

With very few others ready to fill that void, it to me means Islamic State will be a struggling, but still solid state on its own. If horrible healthcare, bad water, and bombings from 5-10 different nations couldn't ? Islamic State by now, then I don't know what will.