Iraqi troops suffer mass slaughter one mile from Baghdad: the general ISIS Chat thread

Options

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    The American led coalition is slowly turning against itself.....A Shiite, Iraqi member of Iraq's govt went on Arab television a few weeks ago to say America is the Great Satan of the world and deep down, Iraqi govt officials prefer working with Iran on the fight against ISIS over America.
    poor example; Qasim al-Araji is a Badr Organization dude; group spent decades in Iran and pushed all that sectarian ? under Maliki that caused the problems to begin with. what positions do you expect a guy like that to take?

Okay that may be true but considering he ALSO hates ISIS, and Iran is gaining more and more influence with Shiite Iraqis, this can't be good for American influence in the region. One would think American influence in Iraq would be growing with each airstrike, but the hatred for America there remains strong and intense. If a Shiite who is part of Iraqi GOVT speaks like this, I hate to see what the avg Sunni Iraqi thinks!
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh ? , ISIS' leader Baghdadi had his wife and young son captured by Lebanon and according to CNN they still have them .....maybe ISIS is slowly falling apart....? They seemed invincible for a long time but slowly they're getting touched

http://news.yahoo.com/wife-leader-detained-lebanon-090530629.html

Lebanon says it has detained wife of IS leader

One of the Lebanese officials said the woman and child were taken into custody about 10 days ago while carrying fake identification cards. He initially identified the woman as Syrian, but later said she is Iraqi and was in Syria before traveling to Lebanon.

He identified her as Saja al-Dulaimi who was held by Syrian authorities and freed in a prisoner exchange with the Nusra Front, Syria's al-Qaida-linked branch, earlier this year. The woman "confessed during interrogation" that she was al-Baghdadi's wife, the official said.

Both Lebanese officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations. There was no official statement from the Lebanese military.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Okay that may be true but considering he ALSO hates ISIS, and Iran is gaining more and more influence with Shiite Iraqis, this can't be good for American influence in the region. One would think American influence in Iraq would be growing with each airstrike, but the hatred for America there remains strong and intense. If a Shiite who is part of Iraqi GOVT speaks like this, I hate to see what the avg Sunni Iraqi thinks!
    still seems like a bit of a reach.

dudes like this hate ISIS whether or not they love the US, are already in bed with Iran, and often remain tied into the government. a better indicator will be if stuff like the current deal with the Kurds (Iraq government reaches oil deal with Kurds) builds a legitimately more inclusive government. because something tells me the average Sunni out there doesn't even love what ISIS stands for. no one likes fundamentalism when it means you can't smoke cigarettes and stare at girls.

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    still seems like a bit of a reach.

dudes like this hate ISIS whether or not they love the US, are already in bed with Iran, and often remain tied into the government. a better indicator will be if stuff like the current deal with the Kurds (Iraq government reaches oil deal with Kurds) builds a legitimately more inclusive government. because something tells me the average Sunni out there doesn't even love what ISIS stands for. no one likes fundamentalism when it means you can't smoke cigarettes and stare at girls.

I agree most Sunnis there probably dislike ISIS' policies deep down, but many aren't fighting back either. Apparently, they hate Iraq's Shiite led govt more then they hate ISIS' fundamentalism. As far as the many Shiites being in bed with Iran, it's very understandable considering the threat Islamic State is to them. It's why I think Iran, Syria, and Iraq need to handle this on their own with their allies, and America needs to step aside. But with all the American companies and embassy staff being in Iraq, I'm probably just dreaming. Oh well, at least no one close to me is in the military anymore.
  • janklow
    Options
    I agree most Sunnis there probably dislike ISIS' policies deep down, but many aren't fighting back either. Apparently, they hate Iraq's Shiite led govt more then they hate ISIS' fundamentalism.
    more likely is that they dislike fundamentalism and don't trust the Iraqi government, so it probably comes down to who's best to side with in the moment.
    It's why I think Iran, Syria, and Iraq need to handle this on their own with their allies, and America needs to step aside.
    ...what if the US is their ally?

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree most Sunnis there probably dislike ISIS' policies deep down, but many aren't fighting back either. Apparently, they hate Iraq's Shiite led govt more then they hate ISIS' fundamentalism.
    more likely is that they dislike fundamentalism and don't trust the Iraqi government, so it probably comes down to who's best to side with in the moment.
    It's why I think Iran, Syria, and Iraq need to handle this on their own with their allies, and America needs to step aside.
    ...what if the US is their ally?

Agreed with the Sunnis and as far as Iraq being America's "ally", we've gone over this before, America getting involved in the Middle East makes things worse in the Middle East. Don't take my word for it, Russia, Iran and Syria have each said the same thing. Along with many members of the Shiite community in Iraq. The president of Syria just this week told Al-Jazeera that America bombing Syria and Iraq is creating more terrorism, not less. A country that exports terrorism as much as America has no business pretending to stop it worldwide.
  • janklow
    Options
    Don't take my word for it, Russia, Iran and Syria have each said the same thing.
    why do you say this like they're neutral, disinterested parties? Russia is not a Middle Eastern nation; "many members of the Shiite community in Iraq" are in Iran's pocket; and the president of Syria is mysteriously looking the other way regarding those air strikes while saying that.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't take my word for it, Russia, Iran and Syria have each said the same thing.
    why do you say this like they're neutral, disinterested parties? Russia is not a Middle Eastern nation; "many members of the Shiite community in Iraq" are in Iran's pocket; and the president of Syria is mysteriously looking the other way regarding those air strikes while saying that.

I mentioned Russia, Iran and Syria because these nations are taking on ISIS so America doesn't really have to. Each of these nations know America isn't helping ANYTHING in the region militarily, only spreading the chaos. Russia isn't directly fighting on the ground but they are supplying Iraq and Syria with weapons and planes, and Russia is smart enough to not fly the planes around Iraq and Syria themselves. They know this is a Middle Eastern problem that only people in that region can solve.

Yes many in the Shiite community in Iraq are in the pockets of Iran, but that was inevitable, considering Iran is a powerful Shiite nation and America took out Saddam. Syria's president is looking the other way regarding America's very illegal bombing campaign in Syria, but I suppose that's mostly because Bashar Assad doesn't want to end up dead like Gaddafi and Saddam.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Speaking of Iran, its power and clout is getting stronger and stronger in the region according to Middle East experts, including Americans. Next to Israel, it's probably the most powerful nation in the Middle East now and it's definitely the most influential. They're fighting ISIS and Al-Qaeda in Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Libya. It almost seems as if Iran is fighting the war on terror for us. I think it's time America build very close relations with Iran, and cut off the apartheid, terrorist loving nation of Israel. If America cooperated more Iranians, we could even let Iran fight the "war on terror" for us.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/irans-military-mastermind-leader-lebanon-145812465.html

Iran's Military Mastermind Is 'The Leader Of Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, And Yemen'

As the US provides air cover for Iranian-backed militias fighting ISIS (aka the Islamic State, ISIL, and/or Daesh) in Iraq, the longest continuously serving American official in the country has strong opinions about who is in control.

Ali Khedery, who served as a special assistant to five US ambassadors and a senior adviser to three heads of US Central Command between 2003 and 2009, told The New York Times: “For the Iranians, really, the gloves are off.”

He highlighted the role of Qassem Suleimani, the head of the Qods Force, the foreign arm of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps. Qods is directing sectarian militias in both Iraq and Syria. At the same time, Suleimani is nurturing the guerilla proxy Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Houthis rebel group in Yemen — in other words, he is controlling powerful Shia proxies all across the Middle East.

“Suleimani is the leader of Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen,” Khedery said. “Iraq is not sovereign. It is led by Suleimani, and his boss, [Iranian Supreme Leader] Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei."

For the Americans, any campaign against ISIS means US planes and combat advisors working in parallel with Iranian planes and Shia militias who have US blood on their hands.

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Israel is a horrible country but if you think Iran is any better then you're being delusional
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Israel is a horrible country but if you think Iran is any better then you're being delusional

Israel by far is a much more horrible nation than Iran. Iran hasn't waged wars of aggression for a long time, while Israel has been committing apartheid and terrorism since it's founding in 1948. Iran does support militant groups like Hamas and Hezbollah, but I don't consider either group terrorists, simply small armies who are fighting Israel. A just and honorable cause.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Regardlessly how just a cause is setting up weapons and training factors in highly populated areas of civilians hoping that the enemy won't attack you is irresponsible. Now of course aIsrael shouldn't target those areas but they are and will
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Regardlessly how just a cause is setting up weapons and training factors in highly populated areas of civilians hoping that the enemy won't attack you is irresponsible. Now of course aIsrael shouldn't target those areas but they are and will

That's a good point, but in war, people fight in all kinds of weird places. But Israel would have found a way to blow up those apartments and children schools anyway. Israel destroys the property and homes of innocent Palestinians all the time, whether gunfire is going off in the area or not.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Don't diSagres with you just saying blame lays on both sides because the Israel and Hamas both know what they are doing.
  • janklow
    Options
    Russia isn't directly fighting on the ground but they are supplying Iraq and Syria with weapons and planes, and Russia is smart enough to not fly the planes around Iraq and Syria themselves. They know this is a Middle Eastern problem that only people in that region can solve.
    if you replaced "Russia" with "the US" in this, there is NO WAY you would be cool with the US even doing those things.
    Yes many in the Shiite community in Iraq are in the pockets of Iran, but that was inevitable, considering Iran is a powerful Shiite nation and America took out Saddam.
    Iran's been a LITTLE more proactive in funding/supplying/protecting some of these anti-America Shiites than they seem to be getting credit for here.
    Syria's president is looking the other way regarding America's very illegal bombing campaign in Syria, but I suppose that's mostly because Bashar Assad doesn't want to end up dead like Gaddafi and Saddam.
    well, it DOES help him to see ISIS guys get slammed.

• janklow
    Options
    I think it's time America build very close relations with Iran, and cut off the apartheid, terrorist loving nation of Israel.
    uh, if "terrorist-loving" is a deal breaker...
    Iran does support militant groups like Hamas and Hezbollah, but I don't consider either group terrorists, simply small armies who are fighting Israel. A just and honorable cause.
    leaving Hamas aside for the moment, however, we kind of already talked about how this is a ? assertion, since Hezbollah has definitely supported terror and meddled in other nations in ways that don't seem to have a lot to do with "fighting Israel."

might be time to update that image of Hezbollah
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Don't diSagres with you just saying blame lays on both sides because the Israel and Hamas both know what they are doing.

Yeah neither side is completely innocent....
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I think it's time America build very close relations with Iran, and cut off the apartheid, terrorist loving nation of Israel.
    uh, if "terrorist-loving" is a deal breaker...
    Iran does support militant groups like Hamas and Hezbollah, but I don't consider either group terrorists, simply small armies who are fighting Israel. A just and honorable cause.
    leaving Hamas aside for the moment, however, we kind of already talked about how this is a ? assertion, since Hezbollah has definitely supported terror and meddled in other nations in ways that don't seem to have a lot to do with "fighting Israel."

might be time to update that image of Hezbollah

Hezbollah is seen as meddlers in many parts of the Middle East based on some research I've done. Even among Palestinians, which surprised me, they created a lot of enemies fighting and killing thousands of Sunnis worldwide. Hezbollah probably went too far many times and that's part of the problem with the region, too many people willing to use guns to solve problems.
  • janklow
    Options
    Hezbollah is seen as meddlers in many parts of the Middle East based on some research I've done. Even among Palestinians, which surprised me, they created a lot of enemies fighting and killing thousands of Sunnis worldwide. Hezbollah probably went too far many times and that's part of the problem with the region, too many people willing to use guns to solve problems.
    what is this surprisingly reasoned perspective doing here
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    what is this surprisingly reasoned perspective doing here

I've always been rational lol
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If America vetoes United Nation votes to end Israel's occupation after 2 years, it can forget about pretending to be the good guy in conflicts across the Middle East and trying to win the war against ISIS.......

America can vote with most of the world Wednesday in the United Nations and call for an end to Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands within 2 years. I'm sure the cowards in Washington DC will veto the measure though.....

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-pm-rejects-palestinian-ultimatum-un-095640432.html

The Palestinians have said they intend to submit a draft text setting a two-year deadline for an end to the decades-long Israeli occupation of their lands as early as Wednesday.

Traditionally the US has used its power of veto at the UN Security Council to shoot down what it sees as moves against its close regional ally, Israel.

But there is a growing impatience in Europe to end the impasse in the peace negotiations amid fears that the Middle East risks spiralling into even greater chaos.

Several European parliaments have called on their governments to move ahead with the recognition of a Palestinian state.

A US veto risks however running contrary to Washington's avowed aims of a Palestinian state and would anger key Arab allies -- many of whom have joined the US-led coalition against Islamic State militants.

--If America vetoes the measure, expect Turkey and other Middle Eastern nations to become even more hostile to the US. This would basically make beating ISIS on the ground near impossible, as America will be seen as the Great Satan by more moderates in the region. I hope Obama grows some ? ? on Wednesday
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The biggest irony about the war against ISIS is that Al-Qaeda is now officially getting stronger. Al-Qaeda and its buddies in Syria just captured TWO Syrian military bases, and they captured them with tanks and anti-plane weapons. That's big because even ISIS wasn't able to do this in that area.....so much for Al-Qaeda being on the run

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30476609

15 December 2014 Last updated at 11:40 ET

Al-Qaeda's affiliate in Syria and allied rebel groups have taken control of two key army bases in the northern province of Idlib, activists say.

Members of al-Nusra Front, supported by those from Jund al-Aqsa, captured Wadi al-Deif base on Monday after launching a fierce offensive on Sunday morning.

Ahrar al-Sham later joined their assault on the nearby Hamidiya base.

Forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad had until now managed to repel a number of assaults on the facilities.

--This war is just becoming a black hole now. More and more billions down the drain., while America continues to fall off.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    American troops are already fighting ISIS members but only when ISIS gets close to their bases. Damn amazing, and I thought we didn't have boots on the ground lol

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/reports-u-ground-fighters-emerge-154800859.html

Reports of U.S. Ground Fighters Emerge as ISIS Gains in Iraq

By Riyadh Mohammed December 17, 2014

No matter how many bombs Americans drop on ISIS forces, Iraqi troops are losing ground. If al-Anbar is lost, the entire Iraqi front dynamic will shift to favor ISIS again, and months of the U.S.-led air campaign will have been wasted.

Maybe that’s why we had reports from an Iraqi field commander on Tuesday that U.S. forces had their first ground clash with ISIS terrorists at midnight on Monday, Baghdad time. ISIS fighters were forced to withdraw after U.S. air force fighters bombed enemy positions.

One of the reasons the Iraqi government hesitates to arm the tribes in al-Anbar is that some of the weapons sent previously ended up in ISIS hands. “I was told that 4000 Russian PKCs heavy machine guns were sent before. 800 of them ended up with ISIS,” al-Gaud said.

--This is gonna end up great.....
  • janklow
    Options
    American troops are already fighting ISIS members but only when ISIS gets close to their bases. Damn amazing, and I thought we didn't have boots on the ground lol

well, this is what happens when you have an administration that can't just admit what they're doing (aka putting an amount of boots on the ground that they think is appropriate) and a co-signing party that will not call him on it.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Boots have already been on the ground and my unit back home says there is a chance after I'm airborne certified I might be gettingbattached to an infantry unit depending on how bad the situation gets. All reports of American soliders getting into firefights with isis has us distinctly winning but it's no point if the Iraq army isn't trained to deal with these kind of problems themselves