J. Cole's New Album, "2014 Forest Hills Drive" Dropping Dec 9th

Options

Comments

• mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    To the ? saying 4.5...Do you seriously believe there's no gap between this album and all the classics? Cause that's what you're implying. Fix your scale, it's broken.

Well i don't believe you compare albums (current ones) to different era classics. You have to judge everything according to the time period it came out and the impact it made in that era.

I personally feel this album is almost playable from front to back (aside from Hello). More importantly i feel this album reflects what's going on in this country right now (racism towards black men, poverty, money, etc). It's a needed album, a socially conscious album that didn't come off as preachy like most conscious rap albums do.

I'm not with that. I'm known in my circles for believing everything should be either improved upon or equal to so when a ? drop a 3.5 album next to 30+ years of rap albums, it's a 3.5 album. Y'all grading on a curve. 2+2 = 4 in 2014 and it will in 2050. By rating albums based on your whole knowledge of Hip-Hop since its inception you get real ratings because they'll always carry the number you give them. Ol' "the whole class is slow so I'll turn this 70 into a 90" ass ? .
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? we don't give a ?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To the ? saying 4.5...Do you seriously believe there's no gap between this album and all the classics? Cause that's what you're implying. Fix your scale, it's broken.

Well i don't believe you compare albums (current ones) to different era classics. You have to judge everything according to the time period it came out and the impact it made in that era.

I personally feel this album is almost playable from front to back (aside from Hello). More importantly i feel this album reflects what's going on in this country right now (racism towards black men, poverty, money, etc). It's a needed album, a socially conscious album that didn't come off as preachy like most conscious rap albums do.

I'm not with that. I'm known in my circles for believing everything should be either improved upon or equal to so when a ? drop a 3.5 album next to 30+ years of rap albums, it's a 3.5 album. Y'all grading on a curve. 2+2 = 4 in 2014 and it will in 2050. By rating albums based on your whole knowledge of Hip-Hop since its inception you get real ratings because they'll always carry the number you give them. Ol' "the whole class is slow so I'll turn this 70 into a 90" ass ? .

You have to dude. Do you think all those 80s album that are deemed classics (aside from Rakim), would even hold up to modern rapping techniques. Hell the ? no. Most of those 80s albums that are deemed as classics aren't even listenable to me but i respect that they are classic and shaped hiphop. Back then those albums are the standards today it wouldn't measure up to that standard. Also the music scene and techniques have changed alot, to use a scale of measuring music 20 years ago to todays music is stupid. You think a album like My Twisted Dark Fantasy would even get recognize in 1994, hell the ? no it wouldn't. Times change and hiphop is changing.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have to dude. Do you think all those 80s album that are deemed classics (aside from Rakim), would even hold up to modern rapping techniques. Hell the ? no. Most of those 80s albums that are deemed as classics aren't even listenable to me but i respect that they are classic and shaped hiphop. Back then those albums are the standards today it wouldn't measure up to that standard. Also the music scene and techniques have changed alot, to use a scale of measuring music 20 years ago to todays music is stupid. You think a album like My Twisted Dark Fantasy would even get recognize in 1994, hell the ? no it wouldn't. Times change and hiphop is changing.

"Great Adventures of Slick Rick" vs anybody...
  • usmarin3
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »

If that came out today it would brick hard.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options

Cuz youngsters listen to ?
  • usmarin3
    Options

Cuz youngsters listen to ?

I wouldn't say that. It would brick because it wouldn't be relevant to the modern rapping style, modern production,etc. It's not too many albums that age timelessly where the flows, beats, delivery,etc doesn't sound dated.
  • BoogaSuga
    edited December 2014
    Options

Not hatin on your review i just been listening to mad cds the past couple days.... i musta forgot...

How was this album socially conscious? And i dont even remember him addressing racism at all. The only line i even remember about race was the stealing the sound line.

His Be Free track was more conscious than the whole album.

Maybe im wrong i haven't given multiple listens yet
  • usmarin3
    Options

Not hatin on your review i just been listening to mad cds the past couple days.... i musta forgot...

How was this album socially conscious? And i dont even remember him addressing racism at all. The only line i even remember about race was the stealing the sound line.

Maybe you should give it multiple listens. lol

Role Modelz - addressing how we praise these reality show hoes who bring nothing of substance and paint black women in a bad view. Then he goes on to give examples of black women who portrayed classy characters on tv.

January 28

What's the price for a black man life?
    I check the toe tag, not one zero in sight
    I turn the TV on, not one hero in sight
    Unless he dribble or he fiddle with mics

Adolescence

I hit the boulevard pull up to my ? front door
    His mama at home, she still let em' hit the blunt though
    I told her hello and sat with my ? and laughed
    And talked about how we gon' smash all the ? in class
    I complimented how I see him out here getting his cash, and just asked
    "What a ? gotta do to get that? Put me on"
    He just laughed when he seen I was sure
    17 years breathing his demeanor said more
    He told me, "? you know how you sound right now?
    You won't my mans, I would think that you a clown right now
    Listen, you everything I wanna be that's why I ? with you
    So how you looking up to me, when I look up to you
    You bout to go get a degree, I'ma be stuck with two choices
    Either graduate to weight or selling number two
    For what? A hundred bucks or two a week?
    Do you think that you would know what to do if you was me?
    I got, four brothers, one mother that don't love us
    If they ain't never want us why the ? they never wore rubbers?"
    I felt ashamed to have ever complained about my lack of gear
    And thought about how far we done came
    From trailer park to a front yard with trees in the sky
    Thank you mama dry your eyes, there ain't no reason to cry
    You made a genius and I, ain't gon' take it for granted
    I ain't gon' settle for lesser, I ain't gon' take what they handed
    Nah I'm gon' take what they owe me and show you that I can fly
    And show ol' girl what she missing
    The illest ? alive
    Aye who am I?

What album where you listening to. I didn't even post ? from Love Yourz, Apparently,etc.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options

Maybe you should give it multiple listens. lol

Role Modelz - addressing how we praise these reality show hoes who bring nothing of substance and paint black women in a bad view. Then he goes on to give examples of black women who portrayed classy characters on tv.

January 28

What's the price for a black man life?
    I check the toe tag, not one zero in sight
    I turn the TV on, not one hero in sight
    Unless he dribble or he fiddle with mics

Adolescence

I hit the boulevard pull up to my ? front door
    His mama at home, she still let em' hit the blunt though
    I told her hello and sat with my ? and laughed
    And talked about how we gon' smash all the ? in class
    I complimented how I see him out here getting his cash, and just asked
    "What a ? gotta do to get that? Put me on"
    He just laughed when he seen I was sure
    17 years breathing his demeanor said more
    He told me, "? you know how you sound right now?
    You won't my mans, I would think that you a clown right now
    Listen, you everything I wanna be that's why I ? with you
    So how you looking up to me, when I look up to you
    You bout to go get a degree, I'ma be stuck with two choices
    Either graduate to weight or selling number two
    For what? A hundred bucks or two a week?
    Do you think that you would know what to do if you was me?
    I got, four brothers, one mother that don't love us
    If they ain't never want us why the ? they never wore rubbers?"
    I felt ashamed to have ever complained about my lack of gear
    And thought about how far we done came
    From trailer park to a front yard with trees in the sky
    Thank you mama dry your eyes, there ain't no reason to cry
    You made a genius and I, ain't gon' take it for granted
    I ain't gon' settle for lesser, I ain't gon' take what they handed
    Nah I'm gon' take what they owe me and show you that I can fly
    And show ol' girl what she missing
    The illest ? alive
    Aye who am I?

What album where you listening to. I didn't even post ? from Love Yourz, Apparently,etc.

Cosign toe tag line & love yours

Adolescence & apparently seemed more of just his story than commentary on current events.

But i will give it 2nd listen tonight
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont like that ? line,
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That ain't got ? to do with being classic tho. Illmatic would brick hard too if it dropped now. A dope album is a dope album regardless of when it dropped
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After listening to the album over the past few days I have to say it's dope no lie my only problem with it is all the singing he did on the album....imo it took the album down a notch cuz it was ALOT of singing and if I don't give Drake a pass for that ? I can't with Cole either.... But all in all I'd give it a 4/5 or 8/10
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4.5 isn't classic. 5 is. Apparently there is a gap between this album & the classics. But Cole impressed me on this one. It ain't flawless, but to me its only one flaw, GOMD. Other than that, beats are banging, rhymes are banging, even the singing is cool. But a classic album imo must be flawless & aside from one song, he delivered. That's a 4.5 in my book.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4.5 isn't classic. 5 is. Apparently there is a gap between this album & the classics. But Cole impressed me on this one. It ain't flawless, but to me its only one flaw, GOMD. Other than that, beats are banging, rhymes are banging, even the singing is cool. But a classic album imo must be flawless & aside from one song, he delivered. That's a 4.5 in my book.

So you can't think of albums better than this album that aren't deemed classics? Don't lie to yourself. Be for real. Those are deserving of 4.5. I'd call GKMC a 4.5 honestly because there's a lot of albums I'd deem better than that and GKMC is better than this.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    I cant say an album aint classic because something else is better. You fronting on GKMC if thats the case.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    Thats like me saying ain't no album better than Illmatic so no other album deserves a 5.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Surprised you don't like GOMD...haven't seen anyone else say that
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    @Rubato Garcia thats how I feel right now. I just thought if you take that off, this is pretty flawless. I may like it later tho. You never know
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    I think GKMC is better. Just slightly better. 4.5 also
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Tales of Two Cities is my ? !
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody that thinks a album has to be perfect and flawless to be a classic is lying to their self becuz if that's the case then no album is classic becuz depending on who you ask there's always gonna be a song or two that ppl don't really like or can do without on ANY album....