Are blacks too inclusive?

Options
12346»

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »
    Lol @ The notion that a non-AA black poster can't make threads discussing certain racial topics, but posters claiming to be AA can insult non-AA blacks and make sweeping generalisations. In another thread I saw certain posters call Afro-latino's and Dominicans in particular "? " because they think they don't have the same racial stratification system as the one their white masters gave them. These n!ggas don't speak Spanish, haven't visited these countries they're speaking on and can't know latin societies other than googling ? about them. I had to check these posters, but no'one complaining in here really spoke up. They can however speak up when a 'foreigner' speaks on stuff he's witnessed with his own eyes.
    jono wrote: »
    I don't like the generalizations either, the black experience is different everywhere even though we may have some similarities.

I see a lot of questionable stuff on all sides, mainly because people turn their brains off and start thinking with their emotions, spreading misinformation and unnecessary dissension between us and other people, Taking stuff out of context, being sensitive, overly judgmental all that stuff is nerve wrecking.

I support them in their cause to correct harmful behavior but let's make sure it is what it is first and not make wild statements with little factual basis.
    I'm from and lived in Curacao (Caribbean), NY (US) and Europe and visited alot of places in both Latin America and Europe and while no place is the same I've seen similarities in the black communities in the places I've lived and visited.
    Anecdotal evidence is weak. You provide nothing but your own perspectives and prejudices but apply them to other people's societies. I've met foreigners and been to places too, but I'm not arrogant enough to believe I know everything about that society because I've been to a certain part of it or met someone who lived there.

I already stated that most if not all threads in g & s that's not news stories are generalisations to atleast a certain extent. If you see statements being made that are untrue or "have little factual basis" disprove 'em. You haven't done that in this thread TBH.
    No need to disprove generalizations, they are fallacious on their own because you cannot prove them.
    It's a matter of you speaking from your own perspective, which you have every right to do but that doesn't make it a fact.
    You're contradictory because while you whine about generalisations being made you cosigned a dude who basically insulted and generalized every non-American black person. You talking out of both sides of your mouth. You were saying n!ggas were making emotional arguments and you were whining about n!ggas causing dissention between people BUT you cosigned a dude that labeled every non-American black "backwards" and accused them of looking down on the people he claims to represent. Strange but then again it's not...

I didn't cosign what he said, I cosigned the dislike for wild generalizations which isn't the main idea of his statements.

I don't take issue at all with blacks from other parts of the world, until they start to do what I listed in my original statement, that said, most people travel with their biased perspectives intact, which is a personal problem.

• REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No, there's only one race and that's the human race...
    The human race is the only race and yes black folk can be way to inclusive at the same time. Since we do draw "racial" lines in the sand and call eachother by these alleged ethnic and cultural differance, the identity that we define ourselves by will get caught up by any cultures inclusiveness. I personally like variety and enjoy what others bring to the table but be yourself and be true to your heritage, include who you want but don't compromise who you are.

I use folk to identify groups of humans, not race, melanin or lack of is not what we are or I am. Take it to the bank, hate it or love it, it's just the way I roll. I am a fan of diversity because without it I would be bored as fuckall.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Inclusive? How about you American ? stop acting like ? , all you talk about in your rap songs is how many guns you ? got and how many shooters you got and how you aint scared of nobody but as soon as a some little white boy in a blue onesie with a shiny little badge on it rolls on your block and claps you in your ? head everyone turns into a little ? and runs away, then the next day your back on the mic talking all that greazy talk, you ? are ? theres like 50 million of you ? in the states.. over here in the UK theres only about 2.5 million of us but we tore the whole country down when they shot one unarmed lightskin ? in London you ? been ? made for 500 years straight asking evil whitie if they can stop being mean and give you a cookie shut the ? up and fight no one wants to hear about Martin Luther Peace or some ? sitting on the back of a rarsclart bus, fight back or shut the ? up. I dont know how the ? we apparently came from the same place in Africa cuz you ? are ? .

hey paco, ? you and the goat you rode in on, you dont like american ? than take ya free-loadin ass back to suriname or wherever the ? you come from
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the destruction of black civilisation it explains how blacks lost north africa to the settlers of Greece,Anatolia and Phoenicia. Basically black folks were freindly. They allowed the white settlers enter. They built they own towns,intermarried with the blacks amd the mullatoes hated the blacks. The whites and mullatoes joined forces kicked blacks out of lower egypt. The theme with the book are that blacks were too friendly to outsiders. The same with Islam. They allowed muslim traders in their lands. Islam spread and soon an arab army would come and spread islam through brutality. With ? ,plunder,and slavery. Being inclusive is nice but history has shown it has led to near genocide of our people.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    The only blacks who qualify to speak on black issues on a whole are those who travel and lived in other nations or at least among lived among other black ethnic groups.

Most African Americans don't know ? about the rest of the black world.
    They filter everything through the internet and like most Americans in general don't even have a passport.

Colorism is much less of a Problem in the west Indian community than it used to be and really is now more of a female problem, skin bleaching is rare.

The term black power was coined by a west Indian living in America and west Indians have always been some of the most pro black blacks on the planet word to Marcus garvey and stokely carmichael

Zombie, I ? wit you my ?

But that aint got ? to do with what im talkin about, its actually the antithesis of what im talkin about because the only problem i have with foreign blacks is when it comes to them tryna dictate and change our cultural norms to accomodate them, im not talkin about yalls opinions on national black affairs, of course we all must pitch in when it involves the whole diaspora, but when it involves african american culture and cultural norms exclusively then i dont wanna hear yall opinion because it aint in line with ours, west african muthafuckas tryna tell us who is black when last time i checked they ? go by ethnic groups not the color of their skin, just stupid ?

im not talkin about black history i know about garvey and all that, and i respect hatian ? to the fullest for the hatian revolution but im talkin about today, when foreign blacks try to apply they 2 cent in our homegrown business

i have seen AA posters on other boards call foreign blacks out for the same thing, as they put it themselves, "AAs main problem is that they discuss AA issues with people who arent even American" and i agree with that AA poster to the fullest
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    Inclusive? How about you American ? stop acting like ? , all you talk about in your rap songs is how many guns you ? got and how many shooters you got and how you aint scared of nobody but as soon as a some little white boy in a blue onesie with a shiny little badge on it rolls on your block and claps you in your ? head everyone turns into a little ? and runs away, then the next day your back on the mic talking all that greazy talk, you ? are ? theres like 50 million of you ? in the states.. over here in the UK theres only about 2.5 million of us but we tore the whole country down when they shot one unarmed lightskin ? in London you ? been ? made for 500 years straight asking evil whitie if they can stop being mean and give you a cookie shut the ? up and fight no one wants to hear about Martin Luther Peace or some ? sitting on the back of a rarsclart bus, fight back or shut the ? up. I dont know how the ? we apparently came from the same place in Africa cuz you ? are ? .

? outta here, chimney sweep
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »
    The only blacks who qualify to speak on black issues on a whole are those who travel and lived in other nations or at least among lived among other black ethnic groups.

They filter everything through the internet and like most Americans in general don't even have a passport.

Colorism is much less of a Problem in the west Indian community than it used to be and really is now more of a female problem, skin bleaching is rare.

The term black power was coined by a west Indian living in America and west Indians have always been some of the most pro black blacks on the planet word to Marcus garvey and stokely carmichael

Zombie, I ? wit you my ?

But that aint got ? to do with what im talkin about, its actually the antithesis of what im talkin about because the only problem i have with foreign blacks is when it comes to them tryna dictate and change our cultural norms to accomodate them, im not talkin about yalls opinions on national black affairs, of course we all must pitch in when it involves the whole diaspora, but when it involves african american culture and cultural norms exclusively then i dont wanna hear yall opinion because it aint in line with ours, west african muthafuckas tryna tell us who is black when last time i checked they ? go by ethnic groups not the color of their skin, just stupid ?

im not talkin about black history i know about garvey and all that, and i respect hatian ? to the fullest for the hatian revolution but im talkin about today, when foreign blacks try to apply they 2 cent in our homegrown business

i have seen AA posters on other boards call foreign blacks out for the same thing, as they put it themselves, "AAs main problem is that they discuss AA issues with people who arent even American" and i agree with that AA poster to the fullest

what are your cultural norms???? and what is exclusive about it ????? AND WHAT ISSUES do you have that other blacks in American don't also have??????? I am not really seeing your problem it just sounds to me like you are just objecting to colorism, who is black and who is not is a really easy issue to solve whoever identifies as black and looks it is black and if anyone be they African American west indian or west African tells you other wise then it's just their personal opinion and those don't always mean much
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jono loves arguing about nothing
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what are your cultural norms???? and what is exclusive about it ????? AND WHAT ISSUES do you have that other blacks in American don't also have??????? I am not really seeing your problem it just sounds to me like you are just objecting to colorism, who is black and who is not is a really easy issue to solve whoever identifies as black and looks it is black and if anyone be they African American west indian or west African tells you other wise then it's just their personal opinion and those don't always mean much

There are significant differences between being Black and American born and being Black and immigrating to America.

For one, immigrants from other places adhere to their cultures and mostly have to make their culture work for them in the midst of American culture. American culture is AA culture. Blacks from mostly black areas are less likely to have been submitted to racist and colorist conditioning, so overcoming that conditioning is a concern that AAs have to deal with that some others from the Black Diaspora don't have to.

However, most important to this discussion is the fact that America isn't home for immigrants. Immigrants come here for a better opportunity, and if they find that, they will gladly stay and indulge in that. If it's not to their liking, they can build their wealth and then go back home. That gives immigrants an overall completely different perspective from most AAs. For us this is home, there is no other choice but to find a way to make it work. We can't, or don't want, to just do what we can and then leave if things don't work perfectly. We have too much invested in this country to abandon it like that. So our opinions of what needs to be done or what measures should be taken will be completely different from someone who immigrated here.

On a side note, I'm not really sure how you can come in and tell AAs that we have no authority to speak on black issues as a whole and then turn around and tell us that everybody has just as much authority as us to speak on African American issues. That doesn't make sense. The first part is like saying that someone who has only lived in one state can't speak on affairs in the U.S. as a whole which is fundamentally wrong. The second part is like saying that a first cousin can come into your core family household and expect to have just as much say in family business as anyone else. That isn't quite true either.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the easy answer to this thread is hell yes we are...
  • zombie
    Options

There are significant differences between being Black and American born and being Black and immigrating to America.

For one, immigrants from other places adhere to their cultures and mostly have to make their culture work for them in the midst of American culture. American culture is AA culture. Blacks from mostly black areas are less likely to have been submitted to racist and colorist conditioning, so overcoming that conditioning is a concern that AAs have to deal with that some others from the Black Diaspora don't have to.

However, most important to this discussion is the fact that America isn't home for immigrants. Immigrants come here for a better opportunity, and if they find that, they will gladly stay and indulge in that. If it's not to their liking, they can build their wealth and then go back home. That gives immigrants an overall completely different perspective from most AAs. For us this is home, there is no other choice but to find a way to make it work. We can't, or don't want, to just do what we can and then leave if things don't work perfectly. We have too much invested in this country to abandon it like that. So our opinions of what needs to be done or what measures should be taken will be completely different from someone who immigrated here.

On a side note, I'm not really sure how you can come in and tell AAs that we have no authority to speak on black issues as a whole and then turn around and tell us that everybody has just as much authority as us to speak on African American issues. That doesn't make sense. The first part is like saying that someone who has only lived in one state can't speak on affairs in the U.S. as a whole which is fundamentally wrong. The second part is like saying that a first cousin can come into your core family household and expect to have just as much say in family business as anyone else. That isn't quite true either.

I never said that everybody else has the same authority to speak on AA ISSUES I said that only those who have actually experienced living among different black cultures should be able to speak on black issues as a whole because they have a better picture of what affects us all.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I never said that everybody else has the same authority to speak on AA ISSUES I said that only those who have actually experienced living among different black cultures should be able to speak on black issues as a whole because they have a better picture of what affects us all.

I'd say, the opinions of people that have lived among different black cultures should carry the most weight when it comes to black issues as a whole, but anyone who is black has enough insight to be able to add something to the conversation.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »

Zombie, I ? wit you my ?

The particular cultural norms I had in mind don't apply to the topic of this thread so I won't bring them up.

The issue that i have doesnt apply to the topic either but sense you happened to catch on to the main part of what i am "objecting" to i will mention it, colorism, that ? is not that common in AA culture as it is wit yall, esp not compared to where we may have been with it throughout history, and i dont want yall injectin that ? into my people, you might see AAs clownin each other on some light vs darkskin ? on instagram but it be in fun and games

you otha muthafuckas doe, yall ? really hate each other over the color of each other skin, we get enough heat off of crackas in the states wit racism, we dont yall bringin that colorism ? up here, we aint got time to be at each other throats over the color of each other skin, tryna come over here talkin bout classic ? AA renegades like Malcolm X and Huey P. Newton ain't black just because they lightskin, thats a quick way to ? me off, if not for bruthas like them yall black ? wouldnt even be able to come over here in the first ? place, i know most of yall people be black as hell, not only through out your homelands but in your immediate families, yall not as used to different colored blacks as we is, so when you see light skinned blacks you be shocked or have some type of preconceived notions of how coonish light skin people meet be in your homelands or even how light skinned people in your homelands might be racially classed or some ? , but in America you will soon find out that you would rather have a pro-black half breed on your team than a black ? like charles barkely, it aint about the skin color its the mindstate

we are used to having different colored blacks in our immediate family as well as throughout our homeland, we can range from pitch black to pale and everything in between and have the same ? parents, some african muthafucka tryna tell me that my mother and aunt are two different races just because one is light and the other is dark, mane ? outta here wit that joseph kony, boko harem ?

That's one problem I have with foreign blacks, yall bring that colorism ? over here, esp on other boards puttin ideas in AAs heads(esp in the heads of our women they already on edge as is), all up in AA discussions, dancin in the videos, they don't even be announcing that they are immigrants, havin other AA posters thinkin they are AA so then maybe they might start to agree with whatever backwards ass opinion yall have, then it spread to other AAs, i monitor this ? myself

The other problem is yall look down on us like yall better than us, esp africans, ? fleas.

on some random but on topic ? : the other day on youtube i see some ? white cuban in the comment section talkin about he and his black cuban friends and their transition from becoming white and black cubans to becoming white americans and african americans, i told that half a cracka if i move to cuba do i get to start callin myself an Afro-Latino? hell naw they wouldnt let me, so wtf make you think you bout to come up here and call yourself an african american, yo folks wasnt enslaved here, the problem is americans are damn near fetishized through the Hollywood and the media, they dont respect us as humans, or as ethnic groups
  • zombie
    Options
    @SWAMPGOD‌ I could not disagree with you more, speaking for west Indians colorism is not a major issue for us we might make jokes about color but it's really not a big issue for this current generation

also be real foreign blacks did not introduce African Americans to colorism foh colorism is something that affects all black people to some degree African Americans are no different in that regard.

What you are saying applies more to black Hispanics. Your misconceptions is why I say that criticism of black people as a whole is better left to those who have experienced the most interactions of different black cultural.

Because I don't know any Jamaican that would not recognize someone of malcolm x's complexion as being black. The motto for Jamaica is out of many one we have Jamaicans of all skin complexions just like African Americans, Both mal x and huey were heavily influenced by west Indians and people of west Indian decent so you should be glad they took influence from us. it can be argued that the whole black power movement of the 60's and 70's was a successor of the garvey movement.

Honestly I think you just don't know what you are talking about also you need to understand that the west Indian influence on African American culture is heavy and has been for a long time like it or not. And hip-hop is an expression of that.
  • zombie
    Options
    Colorism is something women deal with. For most black men foreign or American that ? is jokes. In Jamaica bleachers get laughed at colorism is not a big issue.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, blacks need to start loving themselves more and outsiders less...
    Uppin'... Funny how your boy dropped this classic thread before the Rachel Dolezal and Shawn King exposures lol...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cant remember if i voted