What dictates race?

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »
    i didnt see her picture but i saw her profile postin on another board and her profile said "island gal", that is an island face right there though, the whole aura is island, i know black people

and yeah im sure this janklow cat is black, just a typical "im not like the others because i have different opinions" ass ?

Have you ever been outside of the south???? No disrespect but you are one of the most ignorant people on this forum. Lol island face
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    LOL at the abuse of moderator power, giving me 5 flags for asking a simple question that deserves to be answered
    no, you get flagged for trolling for... trolling. seems pretty appropriate.

look, here's the deal: your whole MO is to ask this question as a means of evading debate. whenever there's an argument that's not going your way, you try and have a demographic reason why the person arguing with you can't be in the debate, is automatically wrong, whatever. it's lame because a) we're on the internet, so people can obviously lie to you and b) there's no reason why your arguments can't stand on their own merits if they're so good.

and NOW we're at the point where instead of, again, discussing a topic, you want to rant about how your feelings are hurt because i won't validate your ? on principle.

so either debate a topic like a Real Poster, go ? about me in the appropriate forum (if that's all your posts are going to be), or just be sour while i abuse my moderating powers.

• janklow
    Options
    Lol....Janklow, calm Zombie down and tell him what race you are.
    we passed the point where doing it would be anything more than rewarding his bad behavior a LONG time ago.
    AggyAF wrote: »
    state your race it ain't that hard, anyone who doesn't do that is an automatic cac/asian to me
    wow, Asians got thrown right under the bus on that one

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The mystery continues....
  • janklow
    Options
    also, can we be said that no one said "maybe he's Native American" or does that get included under Asian?

*checks notebook for racial categorization of Native Americans*

• zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    LOL at the abuse of moderator power, giving me 5 flags for asking a simple question that deserves to be answered
    no, you get flagged for trolling for... trolling. seems pretty appropriate.

look, here's the deal: your whole MO is to ask this question as a means of evading debate. whenever there's an argument that's not going your way, you try and have a demographic reason why the person arguing with you can't be in the debate, is automatically wrong, whatever. it's lame because a) we're on the internet, so people can obviously lie to you and b) there's no reason why your arguments can't stand on their own merits if they're so good.

and NOW we're at the point where instead of, again, discussing a topic, you want to rant about how your feelings are hurt because i won't validate your ? on principle.

so either debate a topic like a Real Poster, go ? about me in the appropriate forum (if that's all your posts are going to be), or just be sour while i abuse my moderating powers.

I did not debate with anyone in this thread so all that long ? you posted is a just an excuse to evade the question. It's also not just about me other people want to know ,even if all you said about me it true ( it is not) so the ? what answer the question

@kingblaze84 wants to know
    @aggy wants to know
    @lucien wants to know
    @ajackson17 wants to know
    @theiconoclast wants to know

And due to the nature of this thread i am on topic so your above criticism of me is ?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i didnt see her picture but i saw her profile postin on another board and her profile said "island gal", that is an island face right there though, the whole aura is island, i know black people

and yeah im sure this janklow cat is black, just a typical "im not like the others because i have different opinions" ass ?

Have you ever been outside of the south???? No disrespect but you are one of the most ignorant people on this forum. Lol island face

lmaooo, ignorant? ? you ? , yeah, island face, bobby shmurda, uncle murda, shabba ranks, i can just look at them ? faces and tell they west indian ? , ? ? , we have different diets and come from different parts of Africa for the most part, why would we not look different in ways, now its your fault for not noticing those differences on your own, even africans be actin like they can't tell the difference between themselves and us, stop it

yes ? i have been outside of the south, im just not as braindead as most ? , i notice a lot of ? that the majority of ? don't, my mind is intricate, im far from ignorant, offensive, maybe, ignorant, no

you act like me saying she looks like an island girl is a bad thing smh, dark skin west indian and african people be havin low self-esteem like a muhfucka

no disrespect
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options

lmaooo, ignorant? ? you ? , yeah, island face, bobby shmurda, uncle murda, shabba ranks, i can just look at them ? faces and tell they west indian ? , ? ? , we have different diets and come from different parts of Africa for the most part, why would we not look different in ways, now its your fault for not noticing those differences on your own, even africans be actin like they can't tell the difference between themselves and us, stop it

yes ? i have been outside of the south, im just not as braindead as most ? , i notice a lot of ? that the majority of ? don't, my mind is intricate, im far from ignorant, offensive, maybe, ignorant, no

you act like me saying she looks like an island girl is a bad thing smh, dark skin west indian and african people be havin low self-esteem like a muhfucka

no disrespect

you are a funny guy???? different parts of africa ? we came from the same parts of africa they just dropped us off first. WTF ARE YOUR TALKING about You are historically inaccurate like a mother ? right now. I HAVE BEEN to africa and in some parts you cannot tell the difference between the native africans and other black people.

first of all the west indies refer to many different islands each island is different jamaica is not like trinidad but it is impossible to tell the difference between a black jamaican and a black trinidadian.

to be honest with you i am just humoring you because the ? you say is beyond ? stupid and this time i say it with disrespect. you are right about one thing african american do have a different diet you guys eat a whole lot more filth than any other group of black people in the western world.
  • zombie
    Options
    i'm still dead @ island face this ? is a complete idiot, here we have the full package totally loaded buffoon
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    also, can we be said that no one said "maybe he's Native American" or does that get included under Asian?

Statistically that's unlikely. Sure it's possible, but it wouldn't be my first guess. Nor my second
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options

Native Americans have their own special category I believe. Most Native Americans don't consider themselves Asian, although genetically they have much in common.

You're Native American huh? Cool man.
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    HE could be native american, white, polynesian, black, or mixed.
    he could be a a green martian with a transparent skull .
    he could be a super intelligent dolphin working in a hidden government lab.
    or for all we know he could be a kalahri bushman.
    he does not even have to be a person, he could be some kind of advanced computer program.

Why all this mystery and speculation???? because the ? won't just say what race he considers himself to be.

I AM now leaning toward the last possibility, maybe he was programed to not claim any racial identity.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should we tell Zombie Janklow is just a bot?
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

Nah...
  • zombie
    Options

Nah...

at this point ? him. how the ? are we going to have any discussion about racial issues with someone who won't tell us what race he is???? when he says anything about race we can't tell where he's coming from
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited February 2015
    Options

no disrespect

you are a funny guy???? different parts of africa ? we came from the same parts of africa they just dropped us off first. WTF ARE YOUR TALKING about You are historically inaccurate like a mother ? right now. I HAVE BEEN to africa and in some parts you cannot tell the difference between the native africans and other black people.

first of all the west indies refer to many different islands each island is different jamaica is not like trinidad but it is impossible to tell the difference between a black jamaican and a black trinidadian.

to be honest with you i am just humoring you because the ? you say is beyond ? stupid and this time i say it with disrespect. you are right about one thing african american do have a different diet you guys eat a whole lot more filth than any other group of black people in the western world.

Actually, the majority of the African slaves that were sent directly from Africa to North America came from the Senegambia/Sahel, and some come from the Central Africa area, while the majority of west indians came from lower west africa, angola/ghana/nigeria, ? like that, i mean you can look up the charts, we were needed in north america for our distinct rice growing skills

you might not be able to tell my, g, but i can, lmaooo aint no need to get disrespectful ?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    i'm still dead @ island face this ? is a complete idiot, here we have the full package totally loaded buffoon

why you so offended by island face though? i think the girl is beautiful, her aura is island, im sure you had no problems when i said ol girl up there in the blue joint looked african american because her body looked fake, get your self-esteem up ?

i aint no dumb/ignorant ? by a mile, you just sensitive and think im tryna disrespect your people
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited February 2015
    Options
    you would think all new world blacks came from the same exact area of africa, the way you display your simple thought processes

you too gullible, you believe everything them cracks tell you
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    swamp is right, slaves came from different parts of Africa, and there was variance between the ethnicity of slaves that are present in a given area. i wouldn't go as far as to be able to definitely tell where someone is from but generally speaking he's right
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nah...

at this point ? him. how the ? are we going to have any discussion about racial issues with someone who won't tell us what race he is???? when he says anything about race we can't tell where he's coming from

Maybe he's just ashamed of the race he is lol....there's a lot of people out there like that....
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is true......kind of like how Obama took more of his father's genes then his mom
    You can be genetically closer to one parent than the other even though you get 50/50 dna from each.

I don't understand this. Everyone inherits exactly 50% of their genes from each parent. How can you be genetically closer to one parent if you inherit the same amount of genes from both? (Full) siblings share around 50% of their genes, you can share slightly more than 50 with your brother and slightly less than 50 with your sister, it's random, but with each of your parents you share exactly 50% of your DNA. Looking more like one parent doesn't mean you have more in common with them genetically.

why you so offended by island face though? i think the girl is beautiful, her aura is island, im sure you had no problems when i said ol girl up there in the blue joint looked african american because her body looked fake, get your self-esteem up ?

i aint no dumb/ignorant ? by a mile, you just sensitive and think im tryna disrespect your people

You probably didn't mean any disrespect but when people claim this, there usually is some subtle (if not overt) implication that black Americans are more ("conventionally") attractive and I wouldn't necessary disagree with that as a generalization (some of the most beautiful black women I've ever seen were from Nigeria, Senegal, Gambia, Zambia, Botswana, South Africa, - I had a crush on this gorgeous brown skinned Yoruba girl when I was younger) but if some black Americans look "African" and some Africans/Afro-Caribbean people look like what you consider "black American" then what makes those features "African", "West Indian" or "black American"? I've never seen any (indigenous) Europeans or Asians who looked black. I had an Indian friend in high school who once asked me why I didn't look like a monkey like a Congolese guy at our school.

If you claimed that Africans (and to a lesser extent Afro-Caribbean people), on average, were darker and more likely to have strong "ethnic" features then I wouldn't necessarily disagree but there are plenty of very dark skinned black Americans with strong "ethnic" features. They're not rare, I've seen some black Americans who look like southern Sudanese people and most of the Africans I've seen aren't unusually dark skinned and don't have strong "ethnic" features that would make someone assume they were African. I can't see a difference and most of the time I wouldn't assume that someone was AA, AC or African based on appearance. I could easily see those three women being AA, AC or African.

As far as I know black Americans and black West Indians descend from most of the same populations. With Brazil, many of the slaves came from Mozambique because Mozambique was a Portuguese colony. I remember reading that the Deep Southern slave system was actually patterned after the Barbadian/West Indian model. Even if slaves in JA were more likely to have Ghanaian heritage (for example, I've heard that) many of the slaves in the U.S also came from what is now Ghana, the slaves throughout the Americas commonly came from places like Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Angola, the Congo etc. (I think Angola and the Congo were the only non-West African contributions besides Mozambique).
    we were needed in north america for our distinct rice growing skills

I have a hard time believing that. The slaves in America picked cotton, the ones in the West Indies cut sugar cane. I don't think they were prized for their rice growing skills. I could be wrong.
    while the majority of west indians came from lower west africa, angola/ghana/nigeria

An estimated 80% of black Americans have an ancestor who lived in what is now Nigeria.
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @ubunt1 look up the Rice Coast. both of you guys have truth in your post. for example, North American blacks were more likely to come from the Senegambia region, one of the reasons was rice. cotton wasn't a big cash crop until the cotton gin was created.

also, because the Europeans control the slave forts/ports, different colonies received different amounts of slaves from different populations. Most blacks in the Western Hemisphere are a mix of ethnicities but you do seem some differences that manifest itself in many ways. for example, the blues has roots in the music of the tribes of the Senegambia region, there's a reason in develop in the US not in Cuba for example. Haitian Vodun developed from the Vodun of Benin, where a lot of the slaves taken to Haiti left from , another example is in Suriname, the blacks are primarily of Akan origin due to the colony previously being owned by England and the English had slave ports along the Gold Coast
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    North American blacks were more likely to come from the Senegambia region, one of the reasons was rice

Did this apply to American slaves generally or just the Gullah people?

You probably know more than I do, maybe slaves from certain regions were more likely to be taken to the U.S, West Indies, South America etc. (I knew about Haitian Vodun having roots in Benin which is where the zombie myth came from and the practice of the Yoruba religion in Brazil and Cuba - although this wouldn't have to mean that the blacks in these regions were predominately of Beninese or Yoruba descent, there could be other reasons why one African culture came to dominant and, like I said, Americans blacks generally have Nigerian ancestry - Nigeria is right next door to Benin and traditional Yorubaland encompasses parts of both modern Nigeria and Benin ) but for the most part, I can't tell the difference between Africans from different regions, minus North East Africans (Somali and Habesha people) who have 'Caucasian' features and the Nilotic speaking groups (who predominate in southern Sudan but are also in places like Kenya and I think Uganda) tend to be very dark skinned. Kofi Annan (Ghanaian) could pass for Nigerian and Idris Elba looks like he could be Zimbabwean instead of Sierra Leonian/Ghanaian. Youssou N'Dour doesn't look like he couldn't be Tanzanian instead of Senegalese.

• zombie
    Options
    swamp is right, slaves came from different parts of Africa, and there was variance between the ethnicity of slaves that are present in a given area. i wouldn't go as far as to be able to definitely tell where someone is from but generally speaking he's right

He is wrong. The slaves that went straight from Africa to America were from the Senegal area but they did not make up the majority of slaves that came to America. Most African Americans came from around Nigeria and the gold coast.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

He is wrong. The slaves that went straight from Africa to America were from the Senegal area but they did not make up the majority of slaves that came to America. Most African Americans came from around Nigeria and the gold coast.

it depends on when they came; remember the us was 13 colonies, Maryland imported slaves from different ports than South Carolina. a lot of American slaves were first in the Caribbean for "seasoning" too
    there's also groups like the Mandinka and Wolof that aren't really present in South America or some of the islands
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    North American blacks were more likely to come from the Senegambia region, one of the reasons was rice

Did this apply to American slaves generally or just the Gullah people?

You probably know more than I do, maybe slaves from certain regions were more likely to be taken to the U.S, West Indies, South America etc. (I knew about Haitian Vodun having roots in Benin which is where the zombie myth came from and the practice of the Yoruba religion in Brazil and Cuba - although this wouldn't have to mean that the blacks in these regions were predominately of Beninese or Yoruba descent, there could be other reasons why one African culture came to dominant and, like I said, Americans blacks generally have Nigerian ancestry - Nigeria is right next door to Benin and traditional Yorubaland encompasses parts of both modern Nigeria and Benin ) but for the most part, I can't tell the difference between Africans from different regions, minus North East Africans (Somali and Habesha people) who have 'Caucasian' features and the Nilotic speaking groups (who predominate in southern Sudan but are also in places like Kenya and I think Uganda) tend to be very dark skinned. Kofi Annan (Ghanaian) could pass for Nigerian and Idris Elba looks like he could be Zimbabwean instead of Sierra Leonian/Ghanaian. Youssou N'Dour doesn't look like he couldn't be Tanzanian instead of Senegalese.

Benin sold a lot of Yoruba or Yoruba speakers so we also need to be mindful of the fact that just because x slave came from y fort doesn't mean his ethnicity was y-ian. people forget that millions of captured Africans died before they even reached the ports

i think the area that is now Nigeria and Benin is where most slaves came from so i would expect all New World black populations to have some ancestry from there

i can only tell basic, stereotypical differences, for example Yorubas have a distinct look IMO and East AFricans tend to be skinny