Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    haitians are more white than jamaicans

i find that very hard to believe, when you consider the history of the islands (the massacres, the majority of slaves in Haiti during the revolution being African born, and what not)

I agree, Haitians killed off almost all of the White people on the Haitian side of the island. Even the babies lol.....98% of the island consider themselves Black too, you don't see percentages like that on any Caribbean country.

yes but alot of the people who seem 100% african actually had some white in them and that's why the % of the men with white genetics is so high.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You posted an abstract.

I have the full articles. Link here

Here are some screen shots proving you don't understand what you're talking about

2jc6dqp.png
    2u58guh.png
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options

i find that very hard to believe, when you consider the history of the islands (the massacres, the majority of slaves in Haiti during the revolution being African born, and what not)

I agree, Haitians killed off almost all of the White people on the Haitian side of the island. Even the babies lol.....98% of the island consider themselves Black too, you don't see percentages like that on any Caribbean country.

yes but alot of the people who seem 100% african actually had some white in them and that's why the % of the men with white genetics is so high.

Anything is possible, Haiti is right next to DR, which did and does have a lot of White/Spaniard people. And Haiti and DR were the same nation for over 22 years. I'm still a little skeptical of that genetic study for some reason
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree, I guess the link could be right but Haitians killed off almost all of the White people on the Haitian side of the island. Even the babies lol.....98% of the island consider themselves Black too, you don't see percentages like that in any Caribbean country.

neg yo mon
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Jamaicans are mixed with East Indians
    The English were there longer than the French were in Haiti
    They receive much more nonblack immigration than Haiti

Zombie once again has another crackpot theory

huh?
  • LUClEN
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First pic shows Haiti only has 1.6% autosomal STRs, 19.8% Y Chromosome SNPs, and 23.4% Y Chromosome STRs in common with Europeans
    Jamaica has 12.6%, 19.3% and 23.5%

Second pic shows the adamixture percentages for European genes to be 4.3% for Haiti and 16% for Jamaica

Posting an abstract won't fool people who can actually look at the full articles.
  • LUClEN
    Options

I agree, I guess the link could be right but Haitians killed off almost all of the White people on the Haitian side of the island. Even the babies lol.....98% of the island consider themselves Black too, you don't see percentages like that in any Caribbean country.

neg yo mon

huh?

You think curry got there on it's own bro?
  • zombie
    Options
    the abstract is for the Y CHROMOSOME and it is correct you looked at the full articles but you clearly did not read the whole thing.
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2015
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

My Haitian creole is terrible lol....long story
  • LUClEN
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I read the results. Methodology and introduction are irrelevant to what the findings show and what is concluded in this instance.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

Indians brought weed and curry to Jamaica that doesn't mean they intermarried in great numbers. alot of Indians left Jamaica. your statement implies that there is a substantial Indian population in Jamaica and there is not
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

i only know a few words, i'm only Haitian through one grandmother
  • kingblaze84
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

I hear ya, I should know more considering my mom's side is fully Haitian....what did that mean though
  • LUClEN
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

Indians brought weed and curry to Jamaica that doesn't mean they intermarried in great numbers. alot of Indians left Jamaica. your statement implies that there is a substantial Indian population in Jamaica and there is not

The significant proportion of Asian dna found in the studies posted says otherwise.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    smh @ giving a masters to someone who doesn't read beyond the abstract
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

I hear ya, I should know more considering my mom's side is fully Haitian....what did that mean though

my fam from all over the Caribbean so i love learning about Haiti and all that

i don't even know if the grammar was right but "neg yo mon" means "my ? " in Kreyol. "neg" being ? (i'm told that neg doesn't hold the same connotation as ? in the United States and is used to refer to Haitian born Haitians (while blan refers to foreigners and foreign born Haitians regardless of race)), yo is the plural marker, mon is "my"

i'm sure a Kreyol-speaker on this site can correct me if wrong
  • zombie
    Options
    the jamaican gene pool is more mixed, in other words we have a greater diversity when compared to haitians BUT HAITIAN men HAVE more genetic input from europeans. That's what the study says.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

The significant proportion of Asian dna found in the studies posted says otherwise.

You said east indian. Most of the Asian ancestry in Jamaicans is Chinese
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2015
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

i don't even know if the grammar was right but "neg yo mon" means "my ? " in Kreyol. "neg" being ? (i'm told that neg doesn't hold the same connotation as ? in the United States and is used to refer to Haitian born Haitians (while blan refers to foreigners and foreign born Haitians regardless of race)), yo is the plural marker, mon is "my"

Yeah I gotta hit up some of my Haitian fam and confirm, I'm sure you on the right track. I looked at it literally

Neg often means farmer or something like that in Kreyol. But yep I'm proud of what the Haitians did to the slave owners and the ones who would grow up to be them lol
  • zombie
    Options

my masters is in business and agriculture not genetics. Truthfully i did not seek to read the entire STUDY but doing so is not necessary the abstract is enough for the people here
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

Yeah I gotta hit up some of my Haitian fam and confirm, I'm sure you on the right track. I looked at it literally

Neg often means farmer or something like that in Kreyol

Do you live in ny, Boston or miami? If so yoU can find a lot of resources on kreyol (classes, websites, college courses etc.) a lot of research has been done on kreyol as opposed to other creole languages like patois
  • LUClEN
    edited March 2015
    Options

my masters is in business and agriculture not genetics. Truthfully i did not seek to read the entire STUDY but doing so is not necessary the abstract is enough for the people here

So you only read the abstracts of papers written by economists and agricultural scientists?
    smh

Of course it's enough for the people here, they don't have access to the full articles. They can't verify if you're presenting the full picture nor what the full study actually says.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

Do you live in ny, Boston or miami? If so yoU can find a lot of resources on kreyol (classes, websites, college courses etc.) a lot of research has been done on kreyol as opposed to other creole languages like patois

I live in NYC actually. And yeah I wanna learn more Kreyol, I know a lot about the culture and history but my mom actually didn't teach me much Kreyol growing up cuz my dad wanted me to be as American as possible smh....plus my bro had a stuttering problem at one point when he was young and he was scared us learning Kreyol would confuse him. I gotta make that effort
  • zombie
    Options

So you only read the abstracts of papers written by economists and agricultural scientists?
    smh

Of course it's enough for the people here, they don't have access to the full articles. They can't verify if you're presenting the full picture nor what the full study actually says.

No but for the purposes of this thread that's all i needed to do. If i wanted to present the full picture i would have to first read the whole thing and i am not doing that.The abstract presents enough information for people who are scientifically inept in their understanding. You really wanted me to give a full explanation FOH
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

neg yo mon

huh?

I live in NYC actually. And yeah I wanna learn more Kreyol, I know a lot about the culture and history but my mom actually didn't teach me much Kreyol growing up cuz my dad wanted me to be as American as possible smh....plus my bro had a stuttering problem at one point when he was young and he was scared us learning Kreyol would confuse him. I gotta make that effort

You can pick up easy then. i also grew up speaking only english but my family is polyglot so i picked up a little bit of other languages
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Best way for a Haitian American to learn Kreyol besides family is by having Haitian friends, period.