Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The slave
    AggyAF wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    swamp is right, slaves came from different parts of Africa, and there was variance between the ethnicity of slaves that are present in a given area. i wouldn't go as far as to be able to definitely tell where someone is from but generally speaking he's right

He is wrong. The slaves that went straight from Africa to America were from the Senegal area but they did not make up the majority of slaves that came to America. Most African Americans came from around Nigeria and the gold coast.

it depends on when they came; remember the us was 13 colonies, Maryland imported slaves from different ports than South Carolina. a lot of American slaves were first in the Caribbean for "seasoning" too
    there's also groups like the Mandinka and Wolof that aren't really present in South America or some of the islands
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    North American blacks were more likely to come from the Senegambia region, one of the reasons was rice

Did this apply to American slaves generally or just the Gullah people?

You probably know more than I do, maybe slaves from certain regions were more likely to be taken to the U.S, West Indies, South America etc. (I knew about Haitian Vodun having roots in Benin which is where the zombie myth came from and the practice of the Yoruba religion in Brazil and Cuba - although this wouldn't have to mean that the blacks in these regions were predominately of Beninese or Yoruba descent, there could be other reasons why one African culture came to dominant and, like I said, Americans blacks generally have Nigerian ancestry - Nigeria is right next door to Benin and traditional Yorubaland encompasses parts of both modern Nigeria and Benin ) but for the most part, I can't tell the difference between Africans from different regions, minus North East Africans (Somali and Habesha people) who have 'Caucasian' features and the Nilotic speaking groups (who predominate in southern Sudan but are also in places like Kenya and I think Uganda) tend to be very dark skinned. Kofi Annan (Ghanaian) could pass for Nigerian and Idris Elba looks like he could be Zimbabwean instead of Sierra Leonian/Ghanaian. Youssou N'Dour doesn't look like he couldn't be Tanzanian instead of Senegalese.

Benin sold a lot of Yoruba or Yoruba speakers so we also need to be mindful of the fact that just because x slave came from y fort doesn't mean his ethnicity was y-ian. people forget that millions of captured Africans died before they even reached the ports

i think the area that is now Nigeria and Benin is where most slaves came from so i would expect all New World black populations to have some ancestry from there

i can only tell basic, stereotypical differences, for example Yorubas have a distinct look IMO and East AFricans tend to be skinny

The ignorant thing about swampgod is his agenda which it to somehow prove that african american black are somehow soooo different from island people it's pure ignorance. especially since you cannot really tell the difference between the two groups phenotypically anyway and both groups now have european dna
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    when you look at it a large percentage of african americans are igbos descendants or look like igbo
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We come from different parts at different percentages

zaIKrjQ.jpg

Ga4E69n.jpg

4qUwgya.jpg

then you have outliers like this girl from oklahoma, who is 60% East African and about 40% West, we most likely come from all over Africa
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rAyv8BU7E
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »

zaIKrjQ.jpg

Ga4E69n.jpg

4qUwgya.jpg

then you have outliers like this girl from oklahoma, who is 60% East African and about 40% West, we most likely come from all over Africa

Interesting (didn't watch the video).
    and both groups now have european dna

On average, black Americans have more European ancestry. The average black American has around 17- 18% European ancestry ( I can't remember) and I remember reading that the average black Caribbean has around 10% European ancestry (or maybe it was 10% have European ancestry).
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I did not debate with anyone in this thread so all that long ? you posted is a just an excuse to evade the question.
    it's pretty clear that it's about your posting history and this thread is just the latest example. and all the above is, sadly, accurate.
    And due to the nature of this thread i am on topic so your above criticism of me is ?
    the nature of the thread was about "what race is janklow?" because this sounds like just another lame justification of trolling.
    at this point ? him. how the ? are we going to have any discussion about racial issues with someone who won't tell us what race he is???? when he says anything about race we can't tell where he's coming from
    it's ALMOST like actual topics can be, and have been, discussed without this information. it's ALMOST like real arguments, as opposed to fictionalizing excuses to not have to debate, don't require it. see how you're already constructing the same old excuse there?

last warning.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Native Americans have their own special category I believe. Most Native Americans don't consider themselves Asian, although genetically they have much in common.
    it's that weird intersection of "commonly classified separately" and "unfortunately still gets tagged as Mongoloid"
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Should we tell Zombie Janklow is just a bot?
    please keep the horrifying truth to yourself, (AHH_POSTER)
    On average, black Americans have more European ancestry. The average black American has around 17- 18% European ancestry ( I can't remember)
    might even be higher; i think some studies (it's going to vary) put it quite a bit over 20%
  • zombie
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »

zaIKrjQ.jpg

Ga4E69n.jpg

4qUwgya.jpg

Interesting (didn't watch the video).
    and both groups now have european dna

On average, black Americans have more European ancestry. The average black American has around 17- 18% European ancestry ( I can't remember) and I remember reading that the average black Caribbean has around 10% European ancestry (or maybe it was 10% have European ancestry).

The percentage of white DNA for African americans is 17-18 it's also around the same for Jamaicans except Jamaicans are actually mixed with more races than the average African american.
  • zombie
    Options
    @janklow you already know what you can do with your warnings.

This deadass subforum with it's horrible moderator. You are the only one here accusing me of trolling. Everyone one else agrees with me. You should reveal your race if you want to have any credibility as a moderator in racial focused threads
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Please co-sign this post if you think janklow as a moderator should reveal his race in racial focused threads
  • Ubuntu1
    Options
    might even be higher; i think some studies (it's going to vary) put it quite a bit over 20%

I remember an older study that that claimed 75% (African ancestry) or around 75% I think but the more up to date one showed that it was 80 something. I think it differs from region to region as well.
  • zombie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jamaican Y-DNA

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22576450
    " Our results reveal that both studied populations exhibit a predominantly South-Saharan paternal component, with haplogroups A1b-V152, A3-M32, B2-M182, E1a-M33, E1b1a-M2, E2b-M98, and R1b2-V88 comprising 77.2% and 66.7% of the Haitian and Jamaican paternal gene pools, respectively. Yet, European derived chromosomes (i.e., haplogroups G2a*-P15, I-M258, R1b1b-M269, and T-M184) were detected at commensurate levels in Haiti (20.3%) and Jamaica (18.9%), whereas Y-haplogroups indicative of Chinese [O-M175 (3.8%)] and Indian [H-M69 (0.6%) and L-M20 (0.6%)] ancestry were restricted to Jamaica. "

African paternal DNA 66.7%
    European paternal DNA 18.9%
    Chinese paternal DNA 3.8%
    Indian paternal DNA 1.2%
  • zombie
    Options
    A large % of african americans have some european dna but it's around 17-20 percentage in each individual on average. which is in the same range of the rest of the diaspora , so in other words most black people who descend from enslaved africans have about the same levels of european dna.

THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AFRICAN AMERICANS AND THE REST OF THE BLACK POPULATIONS IN THE AMERICAS WHEN IT RELATES TO OUR LEVELS OF EUROPEAN DNA
  • zombie
    Options
    haitians are more white than jamaicans
  • Ubuntu1
    Options
    African paternal DNA 66.7%
    European paternal DNA 18.9%
    Chinese paternal DNA 3.8%
    Indian paternal DNA 1.2%

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't this deal with Y-chromosomal DNA and not autosomal DNA (somebody could inherit their Y-chromosomal or mitochondrial DNA entirely from European ancestors and 90 something % of their autosomal DNA from African ancestors)?
    but it's around 17-20 percentage in each individual on average

It's possible that a significant minority with unusually high European ancestry (like people of 50/50 mixed parentage) are what make the numbers as high as they are or vice versa. Like it could be 9 out of 10 black Americans who have X amount of Euro ancestry but 1 mixed person or someone with more white ancestry than most black Americans have makes the average higher than the actual majority, if that makes sense.

Also, the amount of DNA you inherit from Europeans is only a rough estimate of how much European ancestry you actually have (you could inherit 22% of your DNA from one grandparent and 28% from another even though each grandparent represents 25% of your ancestry).
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options

Really? That's not what I heard.....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19918989

In the present study, we report, for the first time, allelic frequency data across the complete set of 15 autosomal STR loci for general collections from Haiti and Jamaica, which were subsequently used to examine the genetic diversity present in each island population. Our results indicate that although both Haiti and Jamaica display genetic affinities with the continental African collections, a stronger African signal is detected in Haiti than in Jamaica.

Edit: Your site is a more updated version of the site I just posted lol so maybe you're right, I gotta look into this
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i find that very hard to believe, when you consider the history of the islands (the massacres, the majority of slaves in Haiti during the revolution being African born, and what not)
  • zombie
    Options

i find that very hard to believe, when you consider the history of the islands (the massacres, the majority of slaves in Haiti during the revolution being African born, and what not)

Well Haiti did have a good size mulatto population. And it is what it is according to dna
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well Haiti did have a good size mulatto population. And it is what it is according to dna

a lot of the mulatto population left or "intermarried" with other blacks so i doubt the white percentage is that high for the average Haitian. even the "white" Haitians have African ancestry in them too. of course i'm not too versed in the field of genetics. when they say 20% have commensurate what exactly does that mean? that 20% have this gene or that 20% have noticeable/significant European genes?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaicans are mixed with East Indians
    The English were there longer than the French were in Haiti
    They receive much more nonblack immigration than Haiti

Zombie once again has another crackpot theory
  • zombie
    edited March 2015
    Options

a lot of the mulatto population left or "intermarried" with other blacks so i doubt the white percentage is that high for the average Haitian. even the "white" Haitians have African ancestry in them too. of course i'm not too versed in the field of genetics. when they say 20% have commensurate what exactly does that mean? that 20% have this gene or that 20% have noticeable/significant European genes?

it means that 20% of the population of haitian men have the listed european genes what is noticeable and significant is too subjective for a serious scientific study
  • zombie
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Jamaicans are mixed with East Indians
    The English were there longer than the French were in Haiti
    They receive much more nonblack immigration than Haiti

Zombie once again has another crackpot theory

It's not my theory the science is there, what the ? ?????
  • zombie
    Options
    jamaicans only have a tiny percentage of east indian in them. The science has spoken if you don't like it don't ? blame me it is what it is
  • zombie
    Options
    I don't think you guys understand what the link i posted is saying
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree, I guess the link could be right but Haitians killed off almost all of the White people on the Haitian side of the island. Even the babies lol.....98% of the island consider themselves Black too, you don't see percentages like that in any Caribbean country.