'Creed' - 2015 Michael B Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Phylicia Rashad & Tessa Thompson.

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    suzyscrew wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Heard it wasn't making the money they projected

How though? It's performing no worse than Rocky Balboa which ended up being one of the most profitable movies in the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if like Balboa it ends up making an extra 40 million + just off home video sales and rentals alone.
  • aka cool beans
    aka cool beans Members Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @suzyscrew yeah you heard wrong. It's outpacing 'Balboa' quite easily and widely regarded to be over performing. Good shot at cracking a 100 mil on a 35 mil budget.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Movie was great way better than Southpaw. Id ? the hearing back in that deaf chick

I just watched.

It was very good but Southpaw was better to me.

But the camera work was way better on the boxing scenes in Creed. There were some crazy long uninterrupted takes during some of the fight scenes.

Creed was def had more boxing in it but Southpaw had the better story.

Both good tho.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    @gns gonna give me a TROLL reaction because i said Southpaw was better

You fanboy'n too much.

I said they both were good. Its not like either was a masterpiece.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U right bro
    Idk what i was thinking
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Southpaw was borderline trash. it was pretty mediocre to me.
  • suzyscrew
    suzyscrew Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Heard it wasn't making the money they projected

How though? It's performing no worse than Rocky Balboa which ended up being one of the most profitable movies in the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if like Balboa it ends up making an extra 40 million + just off home video sales and rentals alone.

I was just watching some sports show and they mentioned it. They weren't hating or anything. I didn't investigate; I just wanted to do what I could to support the movie.
  • suzyscrew
    Options
    @suzyscrew yeah you heard wrong. It's outpacing 'Balboa' quite easily and widely regarded to be over performing. Good shot at cracking a 100 mil on a 35 mil budget.

If you're thinking local, this movie is beating Rocky balboa. Overall, including overseas, it's not. So in that respect, I heard right. 6 mil international for creed compared to 85. 87 overall vs 156 for Rocky Balboa.

My source
    http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Creed/Rocky-Balboa
  • aka cool beans
    Options

If you're thinking local, this movie is beating Rocky balboa. Overall, including overseas, it's not. So in that respect, I heard right. 6 mil international for creed compared to 85. 87 overall vs 156 for Rocky Balboa.

My source

Yeah but Creed's run isn't over. We'd also need to do some investigating into international release dates. Could be that it hasn't released in many places overseas as of yet.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only Rocky movie to ever under perform at the box office was Rocky 5 and that is a fact.
  • suzyscrew
    Options

My source

Yeah but Creed's run isn't over. We'd also need to do some investigating into international release dates. Could be that it hasn't released in many places overseas as of yet.

You know how it is when a movie has been out. Every week it makes a little bit less. Creed won't get close to Rocky Balboa internationally. With Star Wars coming out, it's a wrap. Besides, a lot of these foreign countries ain't trying to see a "Black" movie. It sucks but it's true. Denzel went thru the same ? .

No matter what, Creed was profitable. He'll get a sequel. I'm glad I saw it.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Saw this day after thanksgiving...I really enjoyed it,especially the music..Bianca's in particular..Glad they went with a ecclectic sound for her character and not something trendy. And I guess I'm in the minority when I say I liked Conlan's intro more than Adonis's towards the final fight. Dont get me wrong PAC is GOAT. But from a overall standpoint, from the way Conlan's intro was shot combined with the music and fire was epic. The scene in its entirety was classic..Very reminiscent to Rocky IV..Was satisfied with the way it ended,it felt realistic.

Thought they did great job taking elements from the old rocky movies while refreshing them for today's generation. Actually wish that dirt bike scene could of lasted a lil bit longer. Also showing each fighter's record popping up was a nice touch.

As far as complaints...my only main gripe was when he said he had to "take a sh**" before going into the ring. It seemed out of place for a scene that was suppose to be serious. The theatre I was at ate it up but I was like "eeehhhh". I notice Hollywood does that more often with what I call forced humor. Definitely didn't take away from the movie though.

Overall good movie and looking forward to buying the dvd.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw this day after thanksgiving...I really enjoyed it,especially the music..Bianca's in particular..Glad they went with a ecclectic sound for her character and not something trendy. And I guess I'm in the minority when I say I liked Conlan's intro more than Adonis's towards the final fight. Dont get me wrong PAC is GOAT. But from a overall standpoint, from the way Conlan's intro was shot combined with the music and fire was epic. The scene in its entirety was classic..Very reminiscent to Rocky IV..Was satisfied with the way it ended,it felt realistic.

Thought they did great job taking elements from the old rocky movies while refreshing them for today's generation. Actually wish that dirt bike scene could of lasted a lil bit longer. Also showing each fighter's record popping up was a nice touch.

As far as complaints...my only main gripe was when he said he had to "take a sh**" before going into the ring. It seemed out of place for a scene that was suppose to be serious. The theatre I was at ate it up but I was like "eeehhhh". I notice Hollywood does that more often with what I call forced humor. Definitely didn't take away from the movie though.

Na i liked that. Showed how nervous he was. Prolly didnt even have to take a ? but was having a slight mental breakdown.
  • suzyscrew
    Options

Cosign the Conlan intro. I checked it out on YouTube as soon as I got home. And the kids on the bikes was definitely a nice touch. Without them, I think that run up the street would have seemed corny.
  • TheGOAT
    Options

Cosign the Conlan intro. I checked it out on YouTube as soon as I got home. And the kids on the bikes was definitely a nice touch. Without them, I think that run up the street would have seemed corny.

That run up the street was corny

Me & my girl looked at eachother and laughed at that part
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    Lol na that ? was kinda corny, that aint happening in real life....

Jus like homie coming back from the dead on that knock out lol. Ref wouldnt even had gave him a count.
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You clearly haven't watched a single one of the 24/7 specials.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »

You clearly haven't watched a single one of the 24/7 specials.

That part was corny. Dont front.

They laid the cheese down thick on a few scenes.

Him running up the hill than Rocky opening the window with a smile on his face to watchover while Donny shadowboxes in the middle of the street.

Then the part where he is mirroring his daddys moves on YouTube with the projector.

The life flashing before your eyes scene that brought him back from the dead.

It was a good film and my money well spent but it had some dumb parts.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lol him boxing while watching Apollo on the projector was the WOAT

He watched it for like 10 secs then got inspired and it was just random then the scene abruptly ends
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jus like homie coming back from the dead on that knock out lol. Ref wouldnt even had gave him a count.

Idk about that specific situation but them dudes is riding down the block like that all day. Then again dude was lightweight reppin the city at that point so I could see that possibly happening...just not as smooth.

I ? CRINGED at that scene with her explaining "jawn" up at Max's though. Oh my ? lord did I cringe.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    The fact that "jawn" is just a play on "joint" makes me smh
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    They need to do a sequel like Godfather 2. Half is Creed preparing for his fight with Drago Jr, and the other half Apollo Creed Back story. How he started boxing and became Champ
  • aka cool beans
    Options

My source

You know how it is when a movie has been out. Every week it makes a little bit less. Creed won't get close to Rocky Balboa internationally. With Star Wars coming out, it's a wrap. Besides, a lot of these foreign countries ain't trying to see a "Black" movie. It sucks but it's true. Denzel went thru the same ? .

No matter what, Creed was profitable. He'll get a sequel. I'm glad I saw it.

Still is yet to be released in all the major European markets (ie UK, France, Germany etc) as well as Mexico and other SA countries and won't until mid to late January into February. That international gap will close. I do agree thought that it will have slightly less appeal internationally due to it being more focused on a black lead but at the end of the day it's still a Rocky legacy flick so it'll do fine.

And yeah a sequel is locked. They were already talking about it before the movie even dropped and Coogler said he already has some ideas. I don't want any Drago or Clubber Lang Jr.'s though. That ? would be mad corny in my opinion. I would like to see Drago though. The exploring the dynamic between Adonis and the man who killed his pops could make for really great cinema.