Laissez les bons temps rouler! 2015 New Orleans Saints thread

Options

Comments

• ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still think the outside linebacker position could be addressed at a reasonable price in free agency with Danny Trevathan. Didn't the #1 outside linebacker draft prospect tear his ACL and MCL in that bowl game?

More depth is needed at the corner position, I don't see the point of overpaying somebody when we got enough money already invested into the secondary, so the draft is the only viable option, if a current players feelings get hurt by us trying to improve the team by addressing that position, then so be it.

We don't even know if PJ Williams is cut out to play in the NFL and at this stage it's completely pointless putting all those eggs into that basket just trying to find out.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I don't think we need any defensive backs; we just need to concentrate on getting the guys we have healthy at that position.

The top of my wish list includes drafting an outside linebacker, offensive guard, a tall wide receiver, and another defensive lineman doesn't matter if it's a tackle or end.

Brees contract needs to be restructured to free up money.

Mickey Loomis needs to actually go invest some time and energy in hiring a decent defensive coordinator.

Brandon Browner needs to see his playing time cut or he needs to be moved to strong safety, he's to big and slow to play corner in this league especially without safety help over the top. I think a good DC would utilize him better.

In next years draft (2017) start looking toward the future and life after Brees; it should be a few pretty good quarterbacks maybe move up in the draft and draft one of them let him come up under Brees and bring him along slow similar to how Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers when he was Favre's backup.

I hadn't seen enough of Garrett Grayson to be exact but I'm not sure he's the answer for the future nor is the perennial backup Matt Flynn.

I might be overly optimistic, but I think this team is 3-4 players and a solid defensive coordinator from being right back in the playoffs; the squad won 7 games in a down year you come back and add 3-4 wins to that you right back in the playoffs.

The one thing working against us is our division is getting better over the last year or two ATL, CAR, and TB have all improved their personnel were as we've kinda regressed with letting go of some key guys and salary cap issues.

restructuring Brees is yet ANOTHER band aid.

restructuring him is how you end up paying him $30M next year...just need to ride the last year out tbh.

Grayson is who they drafted to bring under Brees. No need to draft yet another quarterback in a draft where defense is the focus.

I see Sean Payton just said he's not going anywhere.

I don't think management is going to trade or cut Brees.

They got a couple of choices they can extend him for a year or two and pay him a little less, or they can restructure the last year of his contract then sign him to like a two year extension.

In both scenarios he's going to have to take a pay cut to bring some flexibility to our cap situation so we can fill some areas of need.

Hell Brees is still elite although he looked shaky as hell those first few games of the season; I'd probably take him over anyone not named Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Russell Wilson.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You forget about Big Ben
  • Crude_
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    You forget about Big Ben

I'd take Brees over Big Ben. He throws for more yards, TDs, and is far more accurate with less weapons.

Heck we don't have no Antonio Brown type receiver.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Terron Armstead, and Kenny Vaccaro are the next in line to get paid, Terron will probably cost the most if he's trynna get paid like the elite left tackles.
  • Crude_
    Options
    Terron Armstead, and Kenny Vaccaro are the next in line to get paid, Terron will probably cost the most if he's trynna get paid like the elite left tackles.

I would not break the bank on Vaccarro; Armstead on the other hand is one hell of a tackle I'd compensate him a comparable salary to what most other elite tackles get.

That's how we got in the position we in overpaying guys whose production on the field doesnt match the numbers signed on their pay checks.

Even though I can't stand them one thing I've always liked about the Bill Belichick led Patriots is that he's an excellent evaluator of talent that fits his system and they don't overpay nor are they scared to part ways with overpaid passed their prime guys.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    KV ain't getting paid from nobody.

And I told y'all about TA. Dude been a beast since he got that start at LT.

Y'all wasn't hearing me though.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brees is NOT going to restructure his deal

lets stop thinking/hoping he will

he is not going to give up money, the money will be just transferred to another year or something, but he is going to get all of his money
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he is not going to give up money, the money will be just transferred to another year or something, but he is going to get all of his money

If he is not, trade him for picks before that guaranteed roster bonus hit. Another first and third would be nice. Draft the Paxton kid from Memphis and keep it moving.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Leave that Paxton kid alone.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

If he is not, trade him for picks before that guaranteed roster bonus hit. Another first and third would be nice. Draft the Paxton kid from Memphis and keep it moving.

We already got Garrett Grayson, Luke McCown and Matt Flynn, we don't need another QB.
  • caddo man
    Options
    south4life wrote: »

We already got Garrett Grayson, Luke McCown and Matt Flynn, we don't need another QB.

Matt Flynn LOL! Luke McCown may have two more years tops.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south4life wrote: »

Matt Flynn LOL! Luke McCown may have two more years tops.

but they JUST drafted Grayson lol

dont take another qb via draft
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    I’ve written year after year about how starved the Saints’ defense is for a rangy outside linebacker who can defend the pass and cover ground in the open field. If only they could find their own version of fellow NFC South studs Thomas Davis and Lavonte David.

Of course, that is much easier said than done.

Very few draft prospects come in with proven pass-coverage talent right out of college. At least two potential first-round draft picks could fit that bill this year -- UCLA’s Myles Jack and Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith, though both are coming back from injuries. Smith just tore his ACL in the Fiesta Bowl and might not be ready to play at the start of the year.

There aren’t a ton of proven coverage linebackers available in free agency each year, either. Perhaps the Saints will consider ponying up for someone like the Denver Broncos' Danny Trevathan, but they don’t have much salary-cap space to work with.

The former NOLA.com Saints beat writer and now ESPN NFL Nation Saints beat writer Mike Triplett and i seem to agree with the direction of the outside linebacker fix.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    We don't need to pay for a LB that's gon want a big pay day.

Build threw the draft.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    The pay day for his position isn't gonna be out of reach or even break the bank so why all the complaining?
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    You don't know what he's going to be asking for.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    You don't either, but I know it ain't gone be some pass rushing outside linebacker contract like Von Miller bout to get.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    You build thru the draft. Especially on the defensive side of the ball

All good teams do that.

• ZydecoShawty
    Options
    You also fill needs thru free agency before the draft if it's available.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I wouldn't be mad if we draft any of these dudes. If they are there when we draft

Tunsil
    Treadwell
    Miles Jack
    Bosa
    Ramsey
    VH3
    Shaq Lawson

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I wouldn't be mad if we draft any of these dudes. If they are there when we draft

Tunsil
    Treadwell
    Miles Jack
    Bosa
    Ramsey
    VH3
    Shaq Lawson

Shaq Lawson wouldn't be a bad look
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Bobby Richardson should not be starting in the first place.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Bobby Richardson should not be starting in the first place.

Bobby Richardson is a backup second string guy. I surely think DL or OLB will be their first round pick. Not a huge A'shawn guy though. I believe he is not the best D-Line from that team.

@south4life Can better analyze Bama D-Line. I just think those other guys were the real reason. Especially given the way Bama uses their Dline. They are space eaters that take on the block. They are taught to free up the LBs. The LBs are big guys that can shed a blocker. That is why teams that use zone blocking and read option have better run stats against them. You will have a free guy in those offenses for the read. If you are reading the DE he will get confused but the OLB will not because he is used to reading. WE can go into Gap integrity and all that but you get the point.

They need to draft according to their system. stop drafting players that they need to convert. If you need a technique guy then draft one. If you need a space eater than draft one. Stop drafting projects ala SJB, and the other tall WR.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good ? riddance

The New Orleans Saints appear to have parted ways with veteran cornerback Brandon Browner, who strugged through his one and only season with the team.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/02/brandon_browner_new_orleans_sa_3.html#incart_breaking