• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Robinson 7 runs for 12 yards

Ingram 14 runs for 50 yards
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Time for a head coaching change after this season, I bet Mikey is too invested on Sean to fire him tho. This team has reached it's peak with him as head coach.
  • scorpio4lfe
    scorpio4lfe Members Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Time for a head coaching change after this season, I bet Mikey is too invested on Sean to fire him tho. This team has reached it's peak with him as head coach.

Head coach, quarter back, defensive coordinator. ...I can keep going.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least the Bears aren't alone in being ass in the NFC
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Time to blow it up! Colston the first to go
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    The offense is just as worse as the defense this year, even with Drew playing, there's only one man responsible for that. Rob Ryan shouldn't be the only one held accountable at seasons end.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? like this is makes the loss much more angry for me. Its an article I read on Canal Street Chronicles.

Earlier tonight I tweeted a depressing stat about the Saints' 27-22 loss to the Panthers Sunday. Really, a depressing stat about the current state of the Saints roster, salary cap, and management. I thought it was worth it's own post and not just a tweet/FanShot.

In short, the Saints used more than half of their 2015 salary cap on players who weren't even active for the teams Week 3 loss to the Panthers. Or, to put it another way, the Saints could use only half their total salary cap to field a team against the Panthers. That doesn't sound like a great position to be in, does it?

The official 2015 NFL salary cap number is $143.28 million. Here are the startling figures I discovered...

Total salary of injured players who did not play vs. Panthers: $45,300,000

Total salary of players no longer on the Saints roster (dead money): $30,897,305

Total cost of players who did not play vs. Panthers: $76,197,305

Percentage of total 2015 salary cap spent on players who did not play vs. Panthers: 53.2%

This is a fluctuating figure based on the health of the players still on the roster, of course. As soon as guys like Jairus Byrd, Keenan Lewis, and Jahri Evans get healthy, the numbers don't look so bleak. Obviously, Drew Brees' salary is a large part of these numbers so when he returns the figures change dramatically. But even in that case, the Saints still could have anywhere around 33% of their total cap spending not on the football field.

Injuries are one thing. They can't be avoided and they're part of the game. But the dead money figure is maddening to fans. In fact, I believe they have more dead money on the books than any other team in the NFL. That's the price you've just got to pay if you want to clean house in the offseason - the result of poor drafting and foolish contracts.

See the rest here. Smmfh

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2015/9/27/9407065/saints-serious-financial-disadvantage-in-27-22-loss-to-panthers
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    I don't think dead money is the issue, Payton purging the entire receiving core of it's talent for Ben Watson, Josh Hill, Brandin Cooks, and a bunch of no name, unproven, undrafted players is the real issue to me.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yoooooooooooooooooo!

I didnt get to watch the game but like always the Saints are one turnover away from winning are at the least to tie.

-Outside of B. Browners getting burnt. The D play well enough to win the game. Hopefully K. Lewis comes back and follow the Cowboys best WR. B. Browner is known for his problem of getting burnt by faster WR and getting penalties. He is a CB with a style from 10 years ago.

-D. Swann is looking like a great 4th CB. He showed signs at Georgia.

- B. Richardson has replaced A Hicks. An undrafted rookie is showing the tenacity that is needed. Problem is everyone else is just looking like a big body outside of Cam Jordan.

- The offense looked good with the short passes to account for a non existence of a run game. Brees has been chronicled as persistently overlooking the short passes for the home run ball. Hopefully he took notes cause it is obviously open.

- CJ Spiller and the wheel route looks like something that can be exploited alot. There will be a long touchdown in his future.

- Strief is showing his age. Peat better be ready by next year or this could be another bad draft pick.

- Don't read to deep in the statistics. You will lose the improvement that is happening by doing that. The real problem are the mistakes and turnovers. Dont fumble the ball on the extra point, The Saints need a field goal the tie.

- The rookies and undrafted free agent aren't world beaters but they are putting in work. New Orleans Saints cornerback Damian Swann (27), outside linebacker Hau'oli Kikaha (44), wide receiver Willie Snead (83), kick returner Marcus Murphy, and Rookie Bobby Richardson.

- J. Byrd and D. Ellerbe will be slowly inserted into the Defense against Dallas................hopefully. K. Lewis should go full bore from the get go. The Saints kept A. Spencer as a security blanket pass rusher. Can he stay on the field is the question that needs to be asked? I guess we will find out in four weeks.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i aint tryna sound like some fanboy, but this team isnt as bad as their losses indicate

I mean, truth be told, they could be in the exact situation that ATL was in, being down in every game headed into the 4th quarter, only to come back and win

I think they are still too predictable and the defense, while serviceable at times, STILL continues to give up the big play at the most inopportune times.

Im convinced Ryan doesnt watch film. Carolina had Ginn and Olsen. Even I know Olsen is going to be Cams go to. I mean, if you take him out, its not like Ginn is the most prolific route runner. he is going to run verts all day. Thats easier to defend if you take Olsen out the equation. Also, why wasnt browner on Olsen? You really afraid of Ginn and idk who the other receiver was, of beating you? When you make Cam throw, you have a chance.

McCown played as well as he could've being a back up. They had a chance to win despite key drops on their final drive. The issue is the inability to run the ball. Plain and simple. They are just loading the box, daring them to throw.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To many drops and to much inconsistent receiver play.

Snead drops to many passes for my liking and Colston had a few uncharacteristic drops too.

Luke McCown played as good as he could imo.

It might be time to blow up the team. We got a bunch of overpaid on the hill or over the hill guys and others who stay hurt (i.e. Jarius Byrd). If we going to lose I'd rather lose with young cheap players with the chance to get better.

I probably wouldn't give Brees a multi year extension either. I appreciate everything he has brought to the city but I wouldn't tie up a bunch of cash in him with all these other glaring needs we face.

I think Brees has still got a lot of good football in him don't get me wrong, but I feel as though our team needs to be rebuilt from ground up.

Sean Payton needs to actually hire a real OC his playcalling has gotten awfully predictable as of late. For example I can already tell you when CJ Spiller comes in the game it's going to be a little short pass play probably a screen or something of that variety.

I think Ryan will end up being the fall guy for a lot of this but I don't think these losses are on him.

The staff and personnel needs to be reevaluated period.

We might stink for 3-4 years but I think we'll be better in the long term 5-10 seasons down the road.

Like AP said I think we are as bad as our record indicates but we are bad enough to where aren't going to sniff the playoffs or a divisional title anytime soon with this team so changes need to be made.
  • caddo man
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Crude_
    Changes have been made. The only one left is to get rid of Brees and Colston. I say trade Brees to the Jets for one of their D-lineman, starting QB or a viable guard and a 1st round draft pick.
    Dream would be Jeremy Hill, Andy Dalton, and M. Sanu for Brees, Ingram and Colston (straight up) Why? Hill is a beast. Dalton is Matt Ryan -20%. M. Sanu is a good 2nd to 3rd option. We would win just enough to be viable and still have the tools to operate and build on.

Cut Colston at the end of the year. Strief is retiring. Draft all lineman and WR in the next draft. Best available! Travin Dural should be second round pick. First round should be both lineman (Defense or Offense).

That dead money is what is really hurting. Half will be gone by next year but that leaves 12 million sitting on the books for one more year.

Good things are:
    - Brees is still the QB. That hasnt been the best formula as of late but he is still the best player on the team.
    - The young talent is there. (see earlier post)
    - The DBs should be serviceable when K. Lewis and J. Byrd get on the field. Breaux hasnt had any penalties since the first game. The Safeties are inconsistent.
    - The linebackers are a work in progress but they are progressing. The experience of Spencer and Ellerbe will help the young guys.
    - The RB corp is good. Too bad the O-line play hasnt been. I am hoping the O-line needs to gel some more cause the talent is back there.

Needs:
    _ A running game!
    - They need a number one receiver. Either free agent or draft one. I would rather draft one. Cooks is a number two receiver. He will never be a number one.
    - They need a another good D-lineman or two. Cam Jordan is all. The rest are serviceable. No free agent unless they are screened properly and cheap. Tyrunn Walker was a good backup. They need a Tyrunn Walker +1. Joey Bosa - Ohio State.
    - Guard and Tackle needs should be met in the draft. Peat is suspect to me.
  • caddo man
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Interesting,

Because La'el Collins is from here, he'll get a lot of attention this week; after he became a free agent, do you remember conversations about possibly getting involved with that?

"Yes, quite a bit with a number of people, including his agent. I think he was looking forward to an opportunity further away from home than close to home, and I understand that. I had several conversations, and we did our work and research on it. I think he found a good fit."

Make so much since now!

(Brandon) Browner said that he felt that he needed to get better at the zone coverages; is that an assessment (you'd agree with)?

"There are a couple of plays that he's playing on top, obviously, the long post route, we're running a zone pressure, and it is a big play to (Ted) Ginn. The tight end route to Olsen on the backside of the slot. There were two explosive plays that I think that he is referencing. Those are two plays that I think second time around, he'll be on top of and be where he wants to be."

When Keenan Lewis comes and with the way that Delvin Breaux is playing, does that allow you to find where Brandon Browner fits best, since he has that specific skill set? Does having more corners available help use him?

"We'll utilize all of our guys how we see fit. We feel like it's an area we are stronger at than we were a year ago. Delvin's played well. Damian Swann played well yesterday. He played real well."

Browner here for two years...... DEAL WITH IT!

Do you get a feel of the players' moods in the locker room?

"I was encouraged at how they responded yesterday. We played with good energy, good effort and yet that does not always equate to a W, it gives you a chance, but I was encouraged by that."

Your teams have historically been able to overcome 0-3 or 0-4 starts and stay in the playoff race, as other franchises sometimes, when the losing happens, you have finger-pointing, friction, and then things go sideways; is there any reason you can point to for being able to keep it together?

"We spend a lot of time on (making sure we have) the right people. Part of that is for when you hit a stretch of challenge, or you hit some adversity, and every schedule that I can think of since '06, those times come. Part of it is the makeup, the players that you are selecting and who you want on your final roster. There are as disappointed the same way as we are and they are anxious to play next week."

The reason they traded for Unger and got Browner. Plus got rid of Junior Gallette.
  • AP21
    Options
    Crude tripping...Snead has dropped maybe one actual catchable ball. The others were overthrows or poorly thrown ? .

Snead is a legit possession receiver. They need to do a better job of getting him mismatches, which is why Lance Moore did so well in the system.
  • Crude_
    Options
    That's actually a good young nucleus to build around @Caddo I'm not crazy about Dalton but he's a serviceable regular season guy. The rest of those guys would be very welcome editions.

@AP21 I've seen no less than 3 ? hit Snead right in the hands and fall to the ground as incompletions I don't know what game you watching bruh.

Lance Moore had a combination of speed and good hands I saw him catch a lot of ? against good coverage in traffic this Snead kid not so much.

Brandon Coleman is bigger than Snead and has much more upside as a possession receiver imo. He's green right now though but in a year or two old dude could be solid.

I'd probably cut all those WR except for him and Brandon Cooks. I thought Cooks might eventually develop into a DeSean Jackson type guy from when he was in Philadelphia, but he looks more like a number 2 or 3 type receiver.

I would tell Colston thanks but we are currently moving in another direction I'd thank him and offer him a complimentary job with management after he retires and retiring his jersey.

Zach Strief been looking flabby and sick lately. Andrus Peat is looking more like a project type guy.

Stephone Anthony has been the one bright spot from the draft I think he'll be a pro bowl linebacker real soon.
    I think we might have found a diamond in the rough with Delvin Breaux as well.

Brees is a big question mark though I'm not sure I'd overpay him and we got all these other positions that need attention. I would rather suck and get a high first second and third round picks.

Mickey Loomis is going to have some decisions to make this offseason it's a shame I'm talking about this type of ? only at Week 3 of the current season.
  • caddo man
    Options
    1. Jordan had a season-low two pressures, but was +4.0 in run defense with two stops. He's our second-highest graded 4-3 defensive end.
    2. Delvin Breaux with a season-high +3.2 overall grade. Played 65 snaps (35 in coverage) but was targeted just twice and got a pass defense on one and had close coverage on the other.
    3. Third positive overall grade for Swann (+1.5), mostly due to run defense where he made one stop in 16 run snaps. Last season, his run defense grade ranked 13th of 407 FBS corners. In coverage, he allowed just two catches for 19 yards in five targets.
    4. The Saints allowed Olsen to catch eight of 10 targets for 134 yards. Only 54 came after the catch and he was targeted against six different defenders in primary coverage. Vaccaro was picked on the most with four targets (three receptions).
    5. Browner now has the most penalties of any cornerback (five) after finishing second last season with 15. He's also the lowest graded corner, both in coverage and overall (as of Monday morning).
    6. Only one qualifying defensive back has allowed more yards per snap in slot coverage than Vaccaro's 3.0.
  • AP21
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @crude_,

in three games, Snead has 16 targets, 10 catches, and ONE drop lol. I told you. And his one drop came last game.

no. 73

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

now if you counting pre season, then yea...he might have 3 drops
  • Crude_
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    @crude_,

in three games, Snead has 16 targets, 10 catches, and ONE drop lol. I told you. And his one drop came last game.

no. 73

Bruh just telling you what I seen.

I don't know how they come up with those drops but I know I've seen several passes that have hit dude in the hands.

It's reason why he ain't make it past the Browns and Panther practice squads man.
  • AP21
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    @crude_,

no. 73

I don't know how they come up with those drops but I know I've seen several passes that have hit dude in the hands.

It's reason why he ain't make it past the Browns and Panther practice squads man.

so you equate him not making the roster of two franchises who have been pretty ? for the better part of their existence to be a bad player?

a drop is defined as:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/drops.aspx

What is Drops?

This statistic counts the number of times an intended receiver touches the ball but fails to catch it. If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop. It is recorded by some teams and publications, but not officially by the NFL.

Snead is a legit 3rd WR. He has great hands when a catchable ball is thrown to him. Again, he had the one drop that was clearly a drop in the Panthers game.
  • caddo man
    edited September 2015
    Options
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/09/drew_brees_saints_salary_cap.html#incart_river_home

Oh ? something about to happen.

I think they may move on the Bears fire sale to get Bennett or a WR.

this also means they have to extend Brees past 2016 or trade him. Real talk I say keep him and extend him out to 2018. A declining Brees is still better than the alternative. Unless they are going to pull a Bears and tank it for three years.
  • Crude_
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/09/drew_brees_saints_salary_cap.html#incart_river_home

Oh ? something about to happen.

I think they may move on the Bears fire sale to get Bennett or a WR.

this also means they have to extend Brees past 2016 or trade him. Real talk I say keep him and extend him out to 2018. A declining Brees is still better than the alternative. Unless they are going to pull a Bears and tank it for three years.

I'd rather stock pile draft picks than hover around 5-8 wins and not making the playoffs and not getting a great draft pick or two.

I'd rather be ? for a little while with the chance to get better with young cheap talent.

Look at teams like Seattle and Dallas (even though I despise them) they were built through good drafting.

I don't care how great Brees is we ain't going nowhere with our subpar receiving core, suspect o-line, and much improved but still ? defense.

Whether you want to face it or not we are going to have to eventually rebuild anyway if we were making the playoffs and being competitive I would not have an issue with that but ? we might be the worse team in pro football right now.

I'm talking worse than Tampa, Jacksonville, Cleveland, and Oakland and that's with Brees in two out of three games; think about that for a second.
  • Crude_
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    @crude_,

no. 73

so you equate him not making the roster of two franchises who have been pretty ? for the better part of their existence to be a bad player?

a drop is defined as:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/drops.aspx

What is Drops?

This statistic counts the number of times an intended receiver touches the ball but fails to catch it. If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop. It is recorded by some teams and publications, but not officially by the NFL.

Snead is a legit 3rd WR. He has great hands when a catchable ball is thrown to him. Again, he had the one drop that was clearly a drop in the Panthers game.

Carolina's receiving core is asscheeks outside of Kelvin Benjamin (whose out) and the TE Greg Olsen.

If that dude was any threat they would have kept him.

Snead is an okay situational possession receiver at best, borderline practice squad player though imo; I got to agree to disagree with you on this one bro.
  • caddo man
    Options
    The scouting report on tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, who the New Orleans Saints acquired from the New England Patriots in a trade for defensive lineman Akiem Hicks on Wednesday, says he's a dependable blocker on the field and a reliable leader off it. This is essentially why the Saints traded for him. Character guys. This seems like a trend.

Blocking: Excellent blocker on the line and in motion, aggressive and strong. Good quickness off the snap, stays low and punches defenders. Sustains throughout the play whether anchoring in pass protection or moving with his man downfield on run blocks. Extends or pushes the man to the ground to finish the block. Takes on defensive ends one-on-one and makes to second level to negate linebackers.

Intangibles: Durability is a major concern, though toughness and work ethic are not. Team leader by words and example.

The Saints are stockpiling leadership guys because well Brees is a leader by example not words. Last year must have been a wake up call for real. Lets see if the run game is used more with this guy being a primarily blocking TE.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Leadership ain't putting any wins in the W-L record tho...
  • caddo man
    Options
    Leadership ain't putting any wins in the W-L record tho...

Its not. But not having it with talent damn sure didnt work either. This is not the 90s Cowboys where they can have coke parties on naked ? . Brees will not all of a sudden will become some vocal leader.

They are going with character guys I keep the fire going until everyone is healthy. All but one of the top free agents that were signed were on Injury List at one time (Pat Williams). Then the rest are rookies or second year players trying to stay on.

The Saints are still trying to maximize their time with Brees. He may have three more years if they find a run game and a pass catching threat.