Cities that ur surprised are not bigger in the rap game

Options

Comments

• Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Basically any major city with a high black population not named NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, LA, Miami, or Detroit
  • RamadaWhite
    RamadaWhite Members Posts: 1
    Options
    y'all had ? northpole who was signed to DTP whats up with him?
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Phoenix
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Mozzy
    http://youtu.be/J3MvzBPecF8

Lavish D
    http://youtu.be/h-x85kBDJGc

Them ? was beefing heavy, but making the best ? out of the new generation of Sacramento

Mozzy killed that, wasn't expecting that at all!

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no conspiracy against chicago...what would be the point of that?

Chicago doesnt show their own artists enough love for most locals to blow...which is why they have to blow in other cities.

Also like another poster said earlier Chi is more into banging than rapping.

And kanye did enough to put the city on. He made common a little more relevant to mainstream, he brought twista back in style (rocafella signing era) he backed lupe when lupe only had mixtapes out, and he was backing bump j strongly til he got caught up in the streets, straight up street dude. Also add rhymefest and glc to that list of Chi rappers he brought out.

There is plenty of talent here we are unique in the sense that we draw from all regions. U get a little bit of everything we contributed greatly to hip hop this area serves its purpose and has given us classics no need to make excuses.
  • kushmack
    kushmack Members Posts: 2
    Options
    No disrespect to any of the city's mentioned, but I GUARANTEE NONE of these cities got more talent than FLINT, MI
  • kushmack
    kushmack Members Posts: 2
    Options
    Detroit Rap Scene outside of Eminem.....

Royce
    Danny Brown
    Big Sean
    DBC
    Dayton Family
    Top Authority
    Dayton family and TA are from flint.

Flint music scene is way better than detroits.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Tha joker rep for Jacksonville Mississippi

I think T/S referring to Jacksonville Florida tho, it is the 12 most populous city in the entire country
    Still its country af out here wit alot of out of town folk at the same time cause of all the military bases
    Its a crab n a bucket mentality when it come to artist tho that why everybody seem to stay local unless they go outta town
    Bigga Rankin aint put on nan muthafucka out here but don did mixtapes with the whole South smh

We aint really contributed nothin to the rap game since the 90's w/ Bass music
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just goes to show you the importance of having a signature production sound. Regions blow up whenever they're delivering a product thats characteristic and reflective of that area (chi=drill, Bay area=hyphy, Houston=Screw, etc.)...ATL keep relevant because they're constantly reinventing their sound.

And that's the problem. Rap has a really bad originality problem and most other cities put out derivative material of other cities. I see it here in Louisville. These ? have no identity as artists.

Until some of these other areas get innovative with their production they wont see any mainstream recognition.

And this is why Little Rock, Arkansas hasnt gotten any shine. Talented artist here but when you hear (if you hear) a song from there, you hear Texas, Memphis & Louisiana(Baton Rouge/Lake Charles not N.O.).

That plus the city doesnt support fake ass ? AT ALL . A lot of fake ass ? make it in other cities. We REALLY dont tolerate that ? .
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the reason why these cities can't or don't get on though??????? A few answers in this thread.............
  • CantBanTheSoulMan
    CantBanTheSoulMan Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The midwest got burn sporadically but there hasnt been any sustained midwest run.

Detroit, Chicago or any of the acts from ? boy Ohio.

Chicago is obviously home to some big acts but they shouldve been able to flood the game if ATL could.

Detroit never really had a huge rap act outside the white boy

And Bone (and to a lesser extent Ray Cash) are the only good things about Ohio.

Stalley and Chip the Ripper are dope and they from Ohio. 7 years ago I might've said Cudi too but he has been on some lame ? for years.

And Detroit had Slum Village and Dilla. But all in all your right compared to the size of the city you would think it would be more relevant.

I'm surprised more cities in Florida haven't blown up. I don't feel like Miami has much presence, let alone Orlando or Jacksonville.

• CantBanTheSoulMan
    CantBanTheSoulMan Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.

Twista went R&B and thats the extent of that. And he did get a lot of mainstream love because of that. Slow Jamz? Overnight Celebrity? If your girl is over twenty four, she knows Twista's music. Plus he has had PLENTY of industry connections, he chose his path.

Also Chicago has done a lot for hip hop, it's probably the fourth most important city for hip hop. Common, Do or Die popped off for a bit, Twista, Kanye all the way to the current drill scene. Even indirectly Chi influences hip hop, Scarface and Ludacris were both born there.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Toronto we still comin
  • desperadodon
    desperadodon Members Posts: 1
    Options
    DFW, Tx i.e.

DALLAS
    IRVING
    FT.WORTH
    ARLINGTON
    GRAND PRAIRIE
    GARLAND
    DUNCANVILLE
    PLANO
    PLEASANT GROVE
    etc..etc.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicago did start the gangster ? . To involved with it, but there is a conspiracy to block Chicago I was talking to some old heads, who know some Chicago rappers. What they told me blew my mind
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Chicago did start the gangster ? . To involved with it, but there is a conspiracy to block ChicagoI was talking to some old heads, who know some Chicago rappers. What they told me blew my mind

Hahaha bruh all i got from that was................ NOT A GOT DAMN THING!
    If you wasn't going to type what the old heads told you,why even speak on it?

• MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MEMPHIS

STAY FLY WAS THE 1ST TIME 36 AND BALL N G COLLABERATED
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Charlotte
    Washington, DC
    Dallas
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    y'all had ? northpole who was signed to DTP whats up with him?
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Phoenix

Juice too? With BWS?
  • gum989
    Options
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    MEMPHIS

STAY FLY WAS THE 1ST TIME 36 AND BALL N G COLLABERATED
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggqgr7FLS6s
  • gum989
    Options
    ^^^^ This might have come out before "Stay Fly".
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ovoCapo wrote: »
    Toronto we still comin

People sleep on the T dot (or as the youngins call it, the 6ix)...

Two of the top artists making waves right now are Drake and the Weeknd both from Toronto

Historically, we had chart toppers like Snow (remember Informer?) who even got a Jim Carrey parody on "In Living Color" back in the day...

The two deejays from Main Source spent a lot of there time in the Toronto area and were responsible for bringing out a young Nasir Jones to the world on "Live at the BBQ"

Michee Mee was a trailblazer for female emcees blending hip-hop and reggae and caught the eye of the Audio Two...

Maestro Fresh Wes is the first Canadian hip-hop artist to go platinum and did some recording with Showbiz and AG way back when...

Kardinal Offishall had a string of hits and went on to have big international hits with the Neptunes and Akon...

Director X (formerly Little X) studied his craft under Hype Williams and went on to become one of the biggest names in hip-hop video directing... another proud cat from Toronto

JD Era worked both with Jay Z and, until recently, was signed with Raekwon's record label based in T. dot

And these artists are just the tip of the iceberg...

• RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ovoCapo wrote: »
    Toronto we still comin

People sleep on the T dot (or as the youngins call it, the 6ix)...

Two of the top artists making waves right now are Drake and the Weeknd both from Toronto

Historically, we had chart toppers like Snow (remember Informer?) who even got a Jim Carrey parody on "In Living Color" back in the day...

The two deejays from Main Source spent a lot of there time in the Toronto area and were responsible for bringing out a young Nasir Jones to the world on "Live at the BBQ"

Michee Mee was a trailblazer for female emcees blending hip-hop and reggae and caught the eye of the Audio Two...

Maestro Fresh Wes is the first Canadian hip-hop artist to go platinum and did some recording with Showbiz and AG way back when...

Kardinal Offishall had a string of hits and went on to have big international hits with the Neptunes and Akon...

Director X (formerly Little X) studied his craft under Hype Williams and went on to become one of the biggest names in hip-hop video directing... another proud cat from Toronto

JD Era worked both with Jay Z and, until recently, was signed with Raekwon's record label based in T. dot

And these artists are just the tip of the iceberg...

trust me fam u from toronto ?. We have alot of talent down but its hard to get some shine .
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    for the people who think seattle should be bigger... honestly the reason they are not... 1. there is not a large black population in Seattle... 2. they have no identity... they want to be the bay area bad... ( most people in the Seattle area have fam or is originally from cali)

the reason st. louis is not bigger 1. The hate is strong in the city... when nelly and chingy were in there prime they actual got support from the city... now anyone who tries to come out has to try and leave (most try to go to atl) to try and get a buzz... another reason is they want a "commercial sound" when it comes to st.louis when most artist don't fit that mold... that's why we have alot of "one hit or two hit wonders"..
  • capcity804
    capcity804 Members Posts: 3
    Options