Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.
    Naw bruh, Kanye debuted in '04. He immediately put twista on his shoulders that same year to help resurrect his career.

U maybe don't remember but I do.

Fam, Kanye was producing in the 90s for Foxy Brown, Harlem World, Goodie Mobb, etc.....

He began producing for Rocafella in 2000.

Twista should have become a major player of the industry in 1997.
    I'm talking bout when he became nationally known which was in 03-04.

It doesn't really matter when Kanye was introduced to the national stage as a rapper because he was already a top producer in 2000. Plus Adrenaline Rush was released in 1997.

Twista would have been a hip hop heavyweight 7 years earlier if he was an East coast or West coast artist. Adrenaline Rush was that damn good.
    Get it wet was getting spins nationally in '97. Twista should of capitalized better from the success from that.

But really Bone just had that tongue twisting lane sowed up at that time.

Twista started the "tongue twisting lane".

When he first came out, his name was actually 'Tung Twista'.
    And 3-6 mafia/dj squeeky started crunk music but guess who had that lane sowed up???

U ain't saying nothing bruh.

Your post is not proving my initial claim wrong. My initial point is that the Chi was purposely held back by the hip hop industry, which seems to be a valid point when you look at the history. The East coast, West coast, & South blew the ? up in the 90s and early 2000s.

Why didn't Chicago...the most gangstafied city in the United States?
    Yall just didn't have the impact of a NY or LA rap wise. I like yall music, but I'm not everybody else. I can't get with the drill ? tho.

You're not following what I've said in my posts. I'm not even talking about this drill music era. I'm talking about the many talented artists that were shut out in the 90s and early 2000s. For some strange reason, the East, West, and South given more opportunities that Chicago. The east had Bad Boy & others, the west had Deathrow & others, the South had No Limit, Cash Money & others.

It's still being felt to this very day. Name the major rap labels from Chicago.......
    That rapping fast ? was only gonna get Yall so far. The kids in this country just wasn't feeling y'all like me and u was feeling that sound.

Chicago didn't just have fast rappin ? like Twista.

You can't seriously believe that rappers from the Chi were less talented than Biggie, Snoop, or Lil Wayne.........Chicago artists were not giving the chances that those legends were given, so they faded away without ever being heard.
    Ok bruh. Take your frustrations to the Supreme Court. Lol

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Mozzy
    http://youtu.be/J3MvzBPecF8

Lavish D
    http://youtu.be/h-x85kBDJGc

Them ? was beefing heavy, but making the best ? out of the new generation of Sacramento

These ? is trash, at worst. Mediocre, at best. I can't think if a single artist out of Sac that is/was really SPITTING.

You want some lyrical ? , not street tales huh?
    T-Nutty bars

http://youtu.be/GHjezGnuHcY

1. I dunno why ? STILL think you can't be lyrical while spitting street ? . Not the case at all.

2. THIS is your definition of spitting? I guess.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.
    Naw bruh, Kanye debuted in '04. He immediately put twista on his shoulders that same year to help resurrect his career.

Fam, Kanye was producing in the 90s for Foxy Brown, Harlem World, Goodie Mobb, etc.....

It doesn't really matter when Kanye was introduced to the national stage as a rapper because he was already a top producer in 2000. Plus Adrenaline Rush was released in 1997.

Twista would have been a hip hop heavyweight 7 years earlier if he was an East coast or West coast artist. Adrenaline Rush was that damn good.
    Get it wet was getting spins nationally in '97. Twista should of capitalized better from the success from that.

And 3-6 mafia/dj squeeky started crunk music but guess who had that lane sowed up???

Your post is not proving my initial claim wrong. My initial point is that the Chi was purposely held back by the hip hop industry, which seems to be a valid point when you look at the history. The East coast, West coast, & South blew the ? up in the 90s and early 2000s.

Yall just didn't have the impact of a NY or LA rap wise. I like yall music, but I'm not everybody else. I can't get with the drill ? tho.

You're not following what I've said in my posts. I'm not even talking about this drill music era. I'm talking about the many talented artists that were shut out in the 90s and early 2000s. For some strange reason, the East, West, and South given more opportunities that Chicago. The east had Bad Boy & others, the west had Deathrow & others, the South had No Limit, Cash Money & others.

It's still being felt to this very day. Name the major rap labels from Chicago.......
    That rapping fast ? was only gonna get Yall so far. The kids in this country just wasn't feeling y'all like me and u was feeling that sound.

You can't seriously believe that rappers from the Chi were less talented than Biggie, Snoop, or Lil Wayne.........Chicago artists were not giving the chances that those legends were given, so they faded away without ever being heard.

I absolutely believe that *shrugs*

The ones that had what it take to make it...made it. The ones who didn't have what it took...didn't. It's checkers, it ain't chess. Don't overcomplicate it with this big conspiracy to keep Chi ? out the rap game. That's ridiculous.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The ones that had what it take to make it...made it. The ones who didn't have what it took...didn't. It's checkers, it ain't chess. Don't overcomplicate it with this big conspiracy to keep Chi ? out the rap game. That's ridiculous.

Chi-town is not a lame ass city........We basically start trends. It is not possible for the Chi to be shut out of the gangsta rap era when we started the gangsta ? .

The only logical conclusion is an industry that decided to shut us out in favor of propping up the east coast, West coast, and the South.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can add Miami into the mix,besides Ross the past couple of years and Trick Daddy late 90s early 2000s,who else we got?
    That's why i don't ? with Dj Penguin(Khaled)he do all that yelling 305 Dade County and when you look at them songs,he got like 100 of the same ? on every track not from Miami.
    I don't know if Ross or Trick looking at anybody down here,hell i might have to hop n the beat machine and make music my self and produce local artists

All we got is Ice Berg at the moment. Brisco disappeared. Same with Ball Greezy.
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can add Miami into the mix,besides Ross the past couple of years and Trick Daddy late 90s early 2000s,who else we got?
    That's why i don't ? with Dj Penguin(Khaled)he do all that yelling 305 Dade County and when you look at them songs,he got like 100 of the same ? on every track not from Miami.
    I don't know if Ross or Trick looking at anybody down here,hell i might have to hop n the beat machine and make music my self and produce local artists

All we got is Ice Berg at the moment. Brisco disappeared. Same with Ball Greezy.

Ice Berg? lol like i said earlier nobody listen to him outside South Florida,i damn sure don't.
    Ball Greezy is even worst,only time i heard his song was at coco's once.
    Brisco never was the same after he got caught up in that Barbershop robbery. and he tried that Young Money ting but it didn't work.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chi-town is not a lame ass city........We basically start trends. It is not possible for the Chi to be shut out of the gangsta rap era when we started the gangsta ? .

The only logical conclusion is an industry that decided to shut us out in favor of propping up the east coast, West coast, and the South.

Chicago didn't start gangs though.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The bay got shi bubbling on the low . I been following couple artist from there . I like the whole bay style its dope . But toronto coming up we got some good talent down here
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ice Berg? lol like i said earlier nobody listen to him outside South Florida,i damn sure don't.
    Brisco never was the same after he got caught up in that Barbershop robbery. and he tried that Young Money ting but it didn't work.

Ballgreezy is working wit jim jones now i think jims signed him to his label
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

Chicago did not get shut down. Main reason is the House stronghold. 2nd is what Common said Disciples and Vice Lords who dont give a ? about mic cords. This is a gang city. Dope M.C like Common never got any radio play until Corners. 3rd is in the 80s 90s it was a different game. It's not today were the chances of staying local and using social media to get hot. The major labels were on the coast. People had to leave.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Baltimore
    DC
    Phoenix
    Seattle
    Dallas
    San Antonio
    Minneapolis
    Boston
    Las Vegas
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The midwest got burn sporadically but there hasnt been any sustained midwest run.

Detroit, Chicago or any of the acts from ? boy Ohio.

Chicago is obviously home to some big acts but they shouldve been able to flood the game if ATL could.

Detroit never really had a huge rap act outside the white boy

And Bone (and to a lesser extent Ray Cash) are the only good things about Ohio.
    Yea I forgot Detroit has never had a hold in da rap game. I mean who's the runner up after Em, Trick Trick??? Lol

Big sean
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tha joker rep for Jacksonville Mississippi
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah Big Sean currently top 5

He is criminally underrated
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jackson, MS - hell, MS period. So much to talk/rap about when it comes to living or daily life in the Sip.
    Birmingham
    Charlotte
    DC
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yall keep mentioning kc, kc aint blowing up cause they aint bringing nothing new

The bay area already is a cult following outside the bay...who wants to hear a watered down wanna be bay area in the Midwest

That'll make more sense coming from seattle or Portland, not Missouri

K.C. sounds nothing like the Bay. Especially from Rich The Factor.

and this is from somebody who is from that area (the bay)
  • mryounggun
    Options

You not listening, B. You talking about if the city is lame, who started what, etc. What I'm saying is that it's about the MUSIC. And me personally and the ? I know...DON'T THINK MOST MUSIC FROM CHICAGO SOUNDS GOOD. It just doesn't. Point blank.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orlando bout to come up
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ovoCapo wrote: »

Ballgreezy is working wit jim jones now i think jims signed him to his label

Well thats a start good luck to him,i hope somebody blowup out of Miami soon
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orlando bout to come up

They start and stopped at smilez and southstar

Tell me what you think is going onnnn
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I told y'all muthafuckas that the industry ? the Chicago movements........LOL

Young Chop calls out Kanye West for taking advantage of young Chicago artists.

Earlier today, Young Chop, the 21-year-old Chicago producer, inseparable from the come-ups of young artists like Chief Keef and Lil Reese, posted a series of Instagram videos, in which he called out an unnamed establishment of older Chicago industry folks who have a penchant for taking advantage of Chicago's young talent. He then specifically called out Kanye West, claiming that he is guilty of using Chicago artists for his own selfish reasons. He went on to mention Keef and Vic Mensa, the successes of whom, said Chop, cannot be attributed to Kanye -- despite what the "I Don't Like" remixer might have the public believe.

Chop began with a message to all up-and-coming Chicago artists: "Don't go against me. I'm here to help y'all ? ."

He then explained how young artists are susceptible to signing quick deals, usually for around $10,000, because they've never seen money before. "Don't take that ? . Go do you," said Chop.

"They plottin' right now tryna' take me out. Cause I'm telling the truth. They don't like the truth," he went on to say. It's unclear exactly who he was talking about, but in the subsequent video, he (partially) explained a recent situation in which it seems he was intimidated while attempting to work with a certain female artist from Chicago. "I went to her house, and n*ggas came over there. That was ? up." "SHE NO WHO SHE IS AND THAT WHY U GOING BE IN THAT BOX," Chop captioned the post.

He then called out Kanye West. "And that n*gga Kanye don't make it no better, you feel me. He right along with the ? . Use you...try to soak up everything n*ggas know, get you to write songs for him, you know, and then don't call you after that. You know, ? --," said Chop before the video cuts off.

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Let it go

The city was less invested in hip hop

Rappers were considered lame, u werent shuttin.down no party rappin back in the day, the house ? had that on lock
    N on top of that the city never really fuckef wit the locals like that like that...spice 1 n mc eiht bone thugs etc got more love in chicago than any Chicago mc
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seattle
    Boston
    Dallas
    Chitown
    St Louis
    D.C./Baltimore