Cities that ur surprised are not bigger in the rap game

Options
memphis2sacnicc
memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why y'all think certain cities never really popped off in da rap game? Cities like....

Little Rock
Charlotte
San Diego
Indianapolis
Baltimore
D.C. (Wale put them on da map tho)
Jacksonville
Orlando
Seattle
Sacramento
Dallas to an extent
Phoenix
Ect ect

Speak on it.

Comments

• HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.
    Yea I get what u saying, besides Kanye, common, twista and da brat, Chicago has never really been big rap mainstream wise. I personally luv their underground sound tho.

I'm more surprised about Dallas. 4th largest metro in America but they remembered for trash one hit wonders.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Gary, Indiana
    Small city. No surprises here.
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Yea I get what u saying, besides Kanye, common, twista and da brat, Chicago has never really been big rap mainstream wise. I personally luv their underground sound tho.

I'm more surprised about Dallas. 4th largest metro in America but they remembered for trash one hit wonders.
    Reason I heard that make sense was that Chicago house scene was so strong(Like D.C and gogo) that lest focus was placed on Hip Hop, and of course Chicago gang culture which unlike NYC who gang culture help create Hip Hop culture, Chicagos stifled it.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The midwest got burn sporadically but there hasnt been any sustained midwest run.

Detroit, Chicago or any of the acts from ? boy Ohio.

Chicago is obviously home to some big acts but they shouldve been able to flood the game if ATL could.

Detroit never really had a huge rap act outside the white boy

And Bone (and to a lesser extent Ray Cash) are the only good things about Ohio.
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    New York

This guy would swear it's not obsess with NY. I mean even his favorite team is a NY hand me down.

It, dont even respond. It's Labor day.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The midwest got burn sporadically but there hasnt been any sustained midwest run.

Detroit, Chicago or any of the acts from ? boy Ohio.

Chicago is obviously home to some big acts but they shouldve been able to flood the game if ATL could.

Detroit never really had a huge rap act outside the white boy

And Bone (and to a lesser extent Ray Cash) are the only good things about Ohio.
    Yea I forgot Detroit has never had a hold in da rap game. I mean who's the runner up after Em, Trick Trick??? Lol
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sacramento unfortunately gets tied up into the bay area demographic. Mozzy is that ? out of Sac right now. Lavish D was making dope ? in Sacramento before he caught 6 years in prison.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    Mozzy
    http://youtu.be/J3MvzBPecF8

Lavish D
    http://youtu.be/h-x85kBDJGc

Them ? was beefing heavy, but making the best ? out of the new generation of Sacramento
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Richmond
    Phoenix
    Las Vegas
    Portland
    Charlotte
    Raleigh
    Columbia
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The closest we had to a rapper blowing up is Benzino, maybe Ed OG, Guru had to leave and rep Brooklyn to make it

New Edition, Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill(whose actually from Washington DC) and Bell Biv Devoe were HUGE when I was in High school. I mean they were mega stars. When I was a senior they all had solo projects that went platinum.

But that was 25 years ago.

For some reason cats in Boston can't get it together.

Having said that, Poison by Bell Biv Devoe will still rock any party or nightclub in America.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Mozzy
    http://youtu.be/J3MvzBPecF8

Lavish D
    http://youtu.be/h-x85kBDJGc

Them ? was beefing heavy, but making the best ? out of the new generation of Sacramento
    Did that ? Mozzy get at Donte Stallworth??? Lol

"Just another square from da hood, like with Donte"
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    emaculate wrote: »
    Richmond
    Phoenix
    Las Vegas
    Portland
    Charlotte
    Raleigh
    Columbia

Las Vegas rap scene is ass cheeks. Best rappers in Vegas aren't from Vegas.
    http://youtu.be/tj3O_fAVtww

Dizzy Wright had the city on lock with this though. Specially round the time Mayweather and Pacquiao fought.
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    The closest we had to a rapper blowing up is Benzino, maybe Ed OG, Guru had to leave and rep Brooklyn to make it

Guru still repped Boston. Benzino talked about Boston/New england copsstifling the Boston rap scene. Same thing happens in NYC now.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

New Edition, Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill(whose actually from Washington DC) and Bell Biv Devoe were HUGE when I was in High school. I mean they were mega stars. When I was a senior they all had solo projects that went platinum.

But that was 25 years ago.

For some reason cats in Boston can't get it together.

Having said that, Poison by Bell Biv Devoe will still rock any party or nightclub in America.

That reminds me

http://youtu.be/WrG0vp0vjHM
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    I don't see no DC in Wale so we don't have nobody yet
    Damn. Lol
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    I don't see no DC in Wale so we don't have nobody yet
    Damn. Lol

DC love for Wale always been shaky.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.