• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe got a little shine in the 90's? You don't say
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe got a little shine in the 90's? You don't say

If I remember correctly, we started hearing about him in the Chi in the late 90s and he got national attention in like 2000 or 2001. I don't remember exactly. If my dates are off, just scratch his name out of my post and concentrate on Common in relation to the "conscious and spoken word" scene.

It's not that important to my overall point in that post.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.
    Naw bruh, Kanye debuted in '04. He immediately put twista on his shoulders that same year to help resurrect his career.

U maybe don't remember but I do.
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    I don't see no DC in Wale so we don't have nobody yet
    Damn. Lol

DC love for Wale always been shaky.

Maybe because he's not a pure DC boy...he's parents came from Nigeria and he was raised in Maryland
  • J.J._Evans
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Always wondered why Chicago hip hop scene wasn't larger with it having the 2nd largest Black population. Then drill music happen.

Let me start by saying I believe the hip hop industry is biased against the Chi and has ? over Chicago for decades. Back in the 90s when gangsta rap was taking over the industry, Common & Lupe got a little shine, but it was Chicago only being showcased by conscious rap and spoken word. Our 'hood' artists were held back. After 'Adrenaline Rush', Twista should have been propped up as a mainstream hip hop artist. Instead, he was basically ignored by the industry. If he would have had national radio play and multiple videos for that album like East & West Coast artists did, he could have been the one to usher in a ton of Chicago gangsta rap artists.

Then there was the problem with Chicago artists not reaching back for other Chicago artists. Da Brat ran to Atlanta and didn't reach back, Kanye ran to New York and didn't reach back (until the last few years),.......and R Kelly was on top of the R & B world, but didn't put any Chicago artist on the map, except for his 15yr old bride Aaliyah.
    Naw bruh, Kanye debuted in '04. He immediately put twista on his shoulders that same year to help resurrect his career.

Fam, Kanye was producing in the 90s for Foxy Brown, Harlem World, Goodie Mobb, etc.....

He began producing for Rocafella in 2000.

Twista should have become a major player of the industry in 1997.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Sacramento unfortunately gets tied up into the bay area demographic. Mozzy is that ? out of Sac right now. Lavish D was making dope ? in Sacramento before he caught 6 years in prison.

Cosign... Sac damn near goes hand in hand with the bay even tho technically it's not the bay so the sac scene ain't gonna pop becuz it's gonna get credited right back to the bay
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options

Fam, Kanye was producing in the 90s for Foxy Brown, Harlem World, Goodie Mobb, etc.....

I'm talking bout when he became nationally known which was in 03-04.
  • J.J._Evans
    Options

It doesn't really matter when Kanye was introduced to the national stage as a rapper because he was already a top producer in 2000. Plus Adrenaline Rush was released in 1997.

Twista would have been a hip hop heavyweight 7 years earlier if he was an East coast or West coast artist. Adrenaline Rush was that damn good.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The closest we had to a rapper blowing up is Benzino, maybe Ed OG, Guru had to leave and rep Brooklyn to make it

Cousin Stizz bubbling now
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The closest we had to a rapper blowing up is Benzino, maybe Ed OG, Guru had to leave and rep Brooklyn to make it
    They aren't as known like the rest but Reks, Big Shug, Krumbsnatcha, and Termanology get burn from me. Boston has a nice underground rap scene.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kanye wasn't major until 04 maybe 01.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options

It doesn't really matter when Kanye was introduced to the national stage as a rapper because he was already a top producer in 2000. Plus Adrenaline Rush was released in 1997.

Twista would have been a hip hop heavyweight 7 years earlier if he was an East coast or West coast artist. Adrenaline Rush was that damn good.
    Get it wet was getting spins nationally in '97. Twista should of capitalized better from the success from that.

But really Bone just had that tongue twisting lane sowed up at that time.

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • J.J._Evans
    Options

Get it wet was getting spins nationally in '97. Twista should of capitalized better from the success from that.

Twista started the "tongue twisting lane".

When he first came out, his name was actually 'Tung Twista'.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crucial Conflict had a run in the chicago too, back when everyone wanted to rap like Twista.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options

Twista started the "tongue twisting lane".

When he first came out, his name was actually 'Tung Twista'.
    And 3-6 mafia/dj squeeky started crunk music but guess who had that lane sowed up???

U ain't saying nothing bruh.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    Milwaukee
    How the ? did I forget about Milwaukee???
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cybertr0n wrote: »
    They aren't as known like the rest but Reks, Big Shug, Krumbsnatcha, and Termanology get burn from me. Boston has a nice underground rap scene.

I can't stand the so-called "underground scene" in Boston. The MCs in Boston are so backwards they think its somehow wrong to make a hit and try to go gold or platinum. Lord knows what they do to pay their bills.

I remember when it was Mr Lif, Insight, Akrobatik, 7L and Esoteric all on Brick Records. They had a distribution deal with Landspeed and they could have made some serious noise, instead they tried to be underground!!! How do you try to be underground? Being underground is what happens before you blow up, you don't try to be underground.

Hip Hop is dance music. You're supposed to make club bangers and hits that get played on the radio. Its cool to have album cuts on your CD that are introspective and moody, but you don't release those songs as singles, which is what Brick Records was doing. They were making underground backpacker music and releasing it as a single. Even Rawkus knew the lead single had to be a hit. Look at the lead singles for Black Star, Mos Def and Talib Kweli's albums and then look at the lead singles for MR Lif, Insight, Akrobatik, 7L and Esoteric's albums.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Hip Hop is dance music. You're supposed to make club bangers and hits that get played on the radio. Its cool to have album cuts on your CD that are introspective and moody, but you don't release those songs as singles, which is what Brick Records was doing. They were making underground backpacker music and releasing it as a single. Even Rawkus knew the lead single had to be a hit. Look at the lead singles for Black Star, Mos Def and Talib Kweli's albums and then look at the lead singles for MR Lif, Insight, Akrobatik, 7L and Esoteric's albums.

Mind playing tricks on me.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Detroit Rap Scene outside of Eminem.....

Royce
    Danny Brown
    Big Sean
    DBC
    Dayton Family
    Top Authority
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't stand the so-called "underground scene" in Boston. The MCs in Boston are so backwards they think its somehow wrong to make a hit and try to go gold or platinum. Lord knows what they do to pay their bills.

I remember when it was Mr Lif, Insight, Akrobatik, 7L and Esoteric all on Brick Records. They had a distribution deal with Landspeed and they could have made some serious noise, instead they tried to be underground!!! How do you try to be underground? Being underground is what happens before you blow up, you don't try to be underground.

Wasn't Benzino responsible for holding Boston artists back? I don't know the story I just remember hearing this all the time back in the day
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wasn't Benzino responsible for holding Boston artists back? I don't know the story I just remember hearing this all the time back in the day

Yeah Benzino was part of the RSO Crew. They were affiliated with Dave Mays, John Schecter and The Source. Before The Source became a magazine, Dave Mays and John Schecter had a radio show on Harvard's radio station WHRB 95.3. They went by the names of Go Go Dave and JJ The Sultan of Rap. The show was called Streetbeat.

RSO's DJ, DJ Def Jeff (not to be confused with California rapper Def Jeff) was the DJ and Dave Mays and John Schecter were the radio announcers. Def Jeff would mix the records, when the song was over, he'd mix the instrumentals while Dave Mays and John Schecter would make announcements and talk about rap news over the instrumentals (i.e. who had a record coming out, who got arrested, who got married, who had a new baby, when the next show was coming to town, etc.)

They started The Source around this time (1988). At the same time, RSO was trying to get on but quite frankly, the music coming out of New York was better. RSO couldn't really rap as good as the New York MCs and their music didn't sound professional.

I don't know how Benzino became part owner of The Source but he had a lot of clout in Boston throughout the 90s. Basically if you wanted to make it in Boston you had to go through Benzino. Even when New York rappers did shows in Boston they had to go through Benzino.

The way I see it, he ? it up for everybody. Then again, when Brick Records formed in the mid to late 90s, they had the potential to do big things. The guy who started Brick had a radio show on one of the college stations, WERS 88.9. His name was Poppa D. He had a lot of connections. I met him when he was just starting out. For some reason he wanted to be "underground". This was when Bad Boy and Death Row were blowing up. He wanted to be like Gang Starr, Jeru the Damaja or Wu Tang but they didn't have that New York flavor and the music didn't have any bass (and I'm not talking about southern 808 bass, I just mean regular bass).

When its all said and done here's Boston's Greatest hits;

1. Poison - Bell Biv Devoe
    2. I Got To Have It - Ed O.G. and the Bulldogs
    3. Kreators - Guru, Big Shug, Krumbsnatcha & Akrobatik
    4. Official - Big Shug feat Ed O G and Scientifik
    5. Dope For The Folks - TDS Mob
    6. Watch How It Go Down - Termanology
    7. Rap Religion - Insight
    8. Reks - Skills 101
    9. Madness In A Cup - Mr Lif
    10.Internet MCs - Akrobatik
    11. Too Complex - L The Head Toucha